Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Frabba posted:

Welp. I came in not expecting male viera due to the existing lore, so I guess that's why I'm not in any way disappointed. It sucks that people got wrapped up in rumors and its bringing down their enthusiasm for the stuff that we are getting.

e. Oh wait, SE themselves teased male viera being announced here? That's lovely.

They basically showed the Viera trailer at EU fest and then when someone asked about male Viera Yoshi-P was all 'well there's still one more fanfest' instead of yes/noing it, which let a lot of people build up hype needlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leraika posted:

They basically showed the Viera trailer at EU fest and then when someone asked about male Viera Yoshi-P was all 'well there's still one more fanfest' instead of yes/noing it, which let a lot of people build up hype needlessly.

And as someone noted in the discord, historically when they do stuff like that is a soft confirmation.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Oxyclean posted:

Thinking about it some more, how much cooler would it be / how much better would this be received had they gone with something like gender neutral races, either outright gender neutral, or just in the sense that the races have a single body type & animation set, but picking gender will determine how dialog refers to you. Maybe throw in some facial customization that lets you make them look more masculine/feminine?

Not cool at all?

Also they could have gotten around the "male viera are never seen" by like.. saying the males we play7 as come from the 1st or something where that isn't the case. I dunno.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Frabba posted:

e. Oh wait, SE themselves teased male viera being announced here? That's lovely.

I think they actually said Nothing, in the most awkward way possible. Like when the ladies were shown they had some genetic "more coming in Tokyo" statement and since then have effectively changed the subject any time someone brought it up

I don't remember the phrase "Male viera" ever coming out of a SE person's mouth

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Apparently Yoshida's always thought rabbit males would be "weird."

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Tashilicious posted:

The lore reason is pretty bullshit though. Because there were the same excuses over catboys.

I just recently saw it thrown around in another chat that Miqo'te are at least a creation exclusive to FFXIV. Since Viera are essentially being brough in from XII, and they're not a XIV creation, perhaps there were limitations placed on how far they could deviate from the original lore.

It's as likely to be bullshit as anything else, but it does make a sort of sense.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frabba posted:

I just recently saw it thrown around in another chat that Miqo'te are at least a creation exclusive to FFXIV. Since Viera are essentially being brough in from XII, and they're not a XIV creation, perhaps there were limitations placed on how far they could deviate from the original lore.

It's as likely to be bullshit as anything else, but it does make a sort of sense.

They are inspired by XII races. But they are from XIV, not the world of Ivalice. It is not the same universe.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Also the lore argument feels kind of silly to me when, if my memory of the FFXIV-established Viera lore serves, it's the ladies who keep to their villages and the dudes who get taken away to serve as warriors and protectors.

edit: like, viera lore was already in game as part of the Ivalice quest. It's out there.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 23, 2019

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Frabba posted:

In addition to what others have said, there were some draft arts as well. And before this, genderlock most players (coming in from 2.0 on) would have seen will be on clothings and not much else.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

For me, it's just that the lack of male Viera and the hyersexualization of the females ones (see the reveal video and the Dancer picture) gives this game a gloss of anime skeeviness that it didn't have before.

I started playing in 2.X mind. Maybe 1.X was different since it had genderlocked races.

Ither fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 23, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it's really funny how pissed people are about no male viera. I thought it was all a joke, but people are really really pissed.

And it's disappointing there's not a healer but whatever, it won't skew player statistics much. If people want to heal, they'll heal.

ShB is gonna rule and everything is going to be dope as poo poo.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

*Yoshi-P begins sweating profusely*

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm not pissed about no male viera, I'm pissed we got stuck with Ronso, the most boring and lame beastial race possible. Would have preferred Bangaa or something.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Minrad posted:

yeah. male/female au ra might as well not be the same race outside of having scales/tails, would people be throwing a poo poo fit if they were just going by different race names?

I think people are just mad that we didn't get a feminine males/beastly females.

I mean, people were annoyed about au ra as well for similar reasons. Half the point is that they're doing exactly the same thing as last expansion with big/burly men and cute/wispy women. It's also exactly what they did with roegadyn/mi'qote in 1.0, so I suppose people are disappointed that they seem to be doubling down on the gender division that they did away with in the past.

And yes, if they'd made gender-locked races that were different to au ra/roegadyn/mi'qote people probably wouldn't care nearly as much.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Verranicus posted:

I'm not pissed about no male viera, I'm pissed we got stuck with Ronso, the most boring and lame beastial race possible. Would have preferred Bangaa or something.

I'll agree to this, I would've loved the chance to fantasia into a Bangaa.

e. I'm curious if the reaction to gender locked races is the same in the Japanese fanbase.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Like has anyone thought back to FFX and remembered the RONSO fondly? They're idiot blue cat people with nothing interesting at all besides being stereotypical noble savages. The fact that they live on Gagazet, which has baller rear end music, is their only positive.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Leraika posted:

Also the lore argument feels kind of silly to me when, if my memory of the FFXIV-established Viera lore serves, it's the ladies who keep to their villages and the dudes who get taken away to serve as warriors and protectors.

edit: like, viera lore was already in game as part of the Ivalice quest. It's out there.

Yeah the lore makes it sound like the males would be more likely to be adventurers if anything, and that kind of restriction on a special individual like the WoL is dumb anyway.

Annoys me in wow too when they're like "yeah night elf paladins exist, but not common enough for the player to be one." *gives every player the same legendary artifact that is unique in lore*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Gruckles posted:

Annoys me in wow too when they're like "yeah night elf paladins exist, but not common enough for the player to be one." *gives every player the same legendary artifact that is unique in lore*

"Worgen and Goblins can't be monks because it doesn't make sense in the lore."
*Puts monk trainers in literally every single allied race starting zone*

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Frabba posted:

I'll agree to this, I would've loved the chance to fantasia into a Bangaa.

e. I'm curious if the reaction to gender locked races is the same in the Japanese fanbase.

On twitter, at least, a lot of people seemed disappointed, and there was a feedback thread on the forum by the time I went to bed a couple hours after the annoucement.

Verranicus posted:

tbh I'd be even more annoyed about not being allowed to play a lady bangaa

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Leraika posted:

tbh I'd be even more annoyed about not being allowed to play a lady bangaa

Next group of Songbirds should be a glam rock group called The Bangaals

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

isk posted:

Next group of Songbirds should be a glam rock group called The Bangaals

:pusheen:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
So here's something for any Etrian Odyssey fans. You'll be able to create pretty decent Bushi and Imperial glams in Shadowbringers.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Finally I can live out my furry poofy pants dreams.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Embrace the anime. Don't fight it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont care about ronso specifically, but a big hulking lion race is cool

pity their textures suck

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The genderlock bullshit is actually really bad but also I winder if they just ran out of time.

I would not actually be surprised if they took the current backlash into account. It'd take a fair amount of effort but with how hard they're sticking to their guns on "lore reasons" I feel like something must've went catastrophically wrong and they needed to salvage the scenario however they could.

Also Ronso are cool, it's not their fault that FFX is a massive bottomless well of wasted potential. The fact we aren't getting male viera OR female Hrothgar sucks majorly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't know why people are grasping at straws. What exactly could have gone "catastrophically wrong" with rendering bunny men? It's far more likely they just made a conscious decision to do what they did, genuinely thought it was cool and good because they have bad ideas about gender essentialism, and are going to backtrack by next expansion due to backlash. :shrug:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Gender locked races suck but what sucks more is that they are so hetero-normative.

Apparently all females are dainty creatures and all men are burly bara dudes and that’s just how it is. Sucks if you don’t wanna be either. Go lalafell I guess.

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 23, 2019

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

They clarified this on stage during the keynote and/or the English translation/commentary stream of the keynote: they only had so much time to implement a new race, and if they wanted to give as much variety as people wanted they could either do one male/female race, or a male only race and a female only race, as implementing a whole new race is pretty resource intensive and they only had so much time and so many resources to throw at it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't know why people are grasping at straws. What exactly could have gone "catastrophically wrong" with rendering bunny men? It's far more likely they just made a conscious decision to do what they did, genuinely thought it was cool and good because they have bad ideas about gender essentialism, and are going to backtrack by next expansion due to backlash. :shrug:

I mean the answer there is that this game is typically better about that and people generally prefer not to think the immediate worst if a thing they like and enjoy.

I do think they'll probably add in Female Hroth/Male Viera eventually, the demand isn't going to go away and they pretty obviously made the wrong call.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

They clarified this on stage during the keynote and/or the English translation/commentary stream of the keynote: they only had so much time to implement a new race, and if they wanted to give as much variety as people wanted they could either do one male/female race, or a male only race and a female only race, as implementing a whole new race is pretty resource intensive and they only had so much time and so many resources to throw at it.
Up until now they only announced the one race anyway so they definitely could've gotten away with just male/female viera. Especially since we've only had one new race added two expansions ago and it worked out fine.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Sarrisan posted:

Gender locked races suck but what sucks more is that they are so hetero-normative.

Apparently all females are dainty creatures and all men are burly bara dudes and that’s just how it is. Sucks if you don’t wanna be either. Go lalafell I guess.

Yeah, the viera reveal video was a little off-putting, I thought.

Meicyn
Aug 22, 2006

Monathin posted:

The genderlock bullshit is actually really bad but also I winder if they just ran out of time.

I would not actually be surprised if they took the current backlash into account. It'd take a fair amount of effort but with how hard they're sticking to their guns on "lore reasons" I feel like something must've went catastrophically wrong and they needed to salvage the scenario however they could.

Also Ronso are cool, it's not their fault that FFX is a massive bottomless well of wasted potential. The fact we aren't getting male viera OR female Hrothgar sucks majorly.
I think you're on point with regard to running out of time. The commentary about how one of the revealed zones was /JUST/ finished in time that they were able to get a video ready, and how they finished the final version of the trailer just two days ago tells me that they're scrambling to get this product finished in time for launch. I completely believe the team when they say they're working overtime right now.

I do think it was silly to mention lore at all as a reason. I attended the Las Vegas fan fest and IIRC, there was a comment during one of the lore panels that gameplay always came first, and that the lore needed to be in service of the gameplay and not the other way around. Saying lore for a reason for the genderlocking is honestly a terrible reason. If they simply had said they didn't have enough time, I think the playerbase would have reacted a lot better, save the usual outliers. Even more forgiving if they said they other variants are coming a bit later.

Guess we'll see.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

cheetah7071 posted:

someone post your best femroe gpose I need to show someone what femroes look like

Hello, femroe selfie taker comin through.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah MMO crunch time is always really bad so I would entirely believe this is a time factor and given demand that it'll probably be a matter of when, not if, we get the others.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm sure it's just a resource thing of it being easier to port the genderlocked designs from 10 and 12 as-is, rather than Yoship being a weirdo sexist. But if these are the last races I hope at some point they devote the time to making female Ronso and male Viera.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm not really a huge FF fan or anything, but I did play through FFX and I honestly completely forgot all about this race and that character. That just looks like a Roe with a mask on.

I'm cool with the idea of adding another 'big burly' type of race, but I'd prefer a female version of it even though 90% of the playerbase would just stick with slender dainty female cat people anyway. It will probably be a battle for supremacy between bunny girls and cat girls throughout the expansion.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Monathin posted:

Tell me what is cool about Ronso

Gruckles posted:

I'm sure it's just a resource thing of it being easier to port the genderlocked designs from 10 and 12 as-is, rather than Yoship being a weirdo sexist. But if these are the last races I hope at some point they devote the time to making female Ronso and male Viera.

Except the XIV Ronso look nothing like X Ronso aside from cat face

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Hell, if you needed another race take another one from XII like the Garif, they're tribal just like the Ronso, look cooler and are infinitely more interesting

They fit perfectly lore wise too
Why Ronso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
What's the "lore reason" for no female ronso?