Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

at least they’ll never take 1010 wins from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Xiahou Dun posted:

That's very, very sad to hear. I used to really love WAMC and would donate what I could even when I was a broke-rear end college kid.

Any idea what changed? I listened most of my life, but they're stationed way up north in god drat Albany and those people are weird so I don't know what goes on there.

i have no idea. they brought some nevertrumper republican onto the roundtable and keep inviting him back, all of the people writing in are hashtag resistance/russiagate types, and the last time i had the fortitude to make it through the roundtable entirely it was just everyone stanning for kamala harris and chartok waxing about how biden needs to run.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Nice Polite Republicans

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Neera, Please Respond

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Fleetwood posted:

Neera, I showed you my Caucus, Please Respond

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Huh, did they have a change of heart?

https://twitter.com/jesswisneski/status/1105625036604477441

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

man, budget negotiations are gonna own. it seems like the assembly and senate are pissed at cuomo
i hope so. if it doesn't make the budget, then maybe they'll float it as a separate bill

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

man, budget negotiations are gonna own. it seems like the assembly and senate are pissed at cuomo

i hope so. if it doesn't make the budget, then maybe they'll float it as a separate bill

How can they? It has budget implications.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dumb question.
did they used to use the newer subway cars on the 6 line like 10 years ago and revert to the old lovely ones more recently, i had a couple year period where i didnt need the 6 train and my brain totally remembers the cars with the blue bench seats like the 4/5 but the last two years ive been on the 6 every day and they only have those old cars with the orange and yellow bucket seats.
maybe im just crazy

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Real hurthling! posted:

dumb question.
did they used to use the newer subway cars on the 6 line like 10 years ago and revert to the old lovely ones more recently, i had a couple year period where i didnt need the 6 train and my brain totally remembers the cars with the blue bench seats like the 4/5 but the last two years ive been on the 6 every day and they only have those old cars with the orange and yellow bucket seats.
maybe im just crazy

The 6 has blue bench cars.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The 6 has blue bench cars.

maybe occasionally, I'm always in an orange and brown car tho I don't ride the 6 as often now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

not at 6:30 am/3:00pm going to and from the bronx. my rear end hurts from sitting between the seats when someones taking up too much space

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
orange and yellow seat cars are honestly my favorite. I used to get on early enough in the morning/far enough out in queens that I was able to get that corner seat up against the window like half the time, all the way to herald sq.

and then I would leave work at like 4:30 and get one on the way home. Got a lot of reading done. it killed

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
They mentioned offhand on NPR this morning that the legislature punted on legal weed this session. Did I miss some statements, or were they just prognosticating?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

umbrage posted:

They mentioned offhand on NPR this morning that the legislature punted on legal weed this session. Did I miss some statements, or were they just prognosticating?

i had read that the black caucus was against legalization without minority businesses/communities benefiting from sales. maybe there was an impasse? but i imagine there would be articles if so and i cant find any

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How can they? It has budget implications.
god i hate this loving state

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
my idiot coworker is pro-"upstate secession" and no amount of evidence sways his stupid, racist beliefs that Those drat Urbans Take All Our Innocent Farm-Country Tax Dollars For Food Stamps And Gummint-Subsidized Crack is it legal to kill him

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I am also pro upstate secession. Fight me. Who needs those fuckers??? We'll conquer a reservoir and seize the MTA trains and not look back.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He's right. NYC's finance, real estate, universities, tech industries etc. etc. are all sham industries. The only actual commercial activity is based on the trading of rust, which is all stolen from upstate.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hand over the iron oxide, you upstate hicks, so I can pay for my slim fit clothes, wool scarves, and sushi dipped in komboucha.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I moved from Dutchess county (Beacon) to Brooklyn about 3 years ago. Cuddly Tumblemumps, I hate to break it to you but Upstate is dying. Pretty much everyone I know under 30 without kids is emigrating. The malls are dead or dying, the bigger factories are closing.

The prisons are doing great though....

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I am also pro upstate secession. Fight me. Who needs those fuckers??? We'll conquer a reservoir and seize the MTA trains and not look back.

:hai:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Columbia county relies almost entirely on city people coming up to weekend in our historic housing stock and spend tourist money in expensive boutiques owned by their city friends, and while i deeply understand the frustration that comes with gentrification and being priced out of the housing market in your family hometown by people who only use the drat houses on weekends and vacations, the fact is that without the gentrifiers paying taxes that benefit us, we'd be as bad off as they are across the river. the situation here is complicated but, dear idiot coworker, without city tax dollars we can't afford roads up here

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Helen Skelter posted:

I moved from Dutchess county (Beacon) to Brooklyn about 3 years ago. Cuddly Tumblemumps, I hate to break it to you but Upstate is dying. Pretty much everyone I know under 30 without kids is emigrating. The malls are dead or dying, the bigger factories are closing.

The prisons are doing great though....

Mhmm. I'm a filthy transplant living in Brooklyn. I would love upstate to move on that succession thing and stop gumming up the rest of civilization with their whole desire to have the same quality of life as shithole flyover states who are economic powerhouses in the private prison industry. Yessirreeeeeee that would be grand! :sun:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pangstrom posted:

He's right. NYC's finance, real estate, universities, tech industries etc. etc. are all sham industries. The only actual commercial activity is based on the trading of rust, which is all stolen from upstate.

lmao how Upstate revival spending like the Tesla/Solarcity plan ended up being a scam.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

dumb question.
maybe im just crazy

Yes, this is definitely a thing that's happened for the past 2 years or so. https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2012/09/mta-to-upgrade-7-line-by-trading-old-cars-to-lexington-avenue-000000

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Photonics will save Western New York! :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How much money would it take to save Upstate?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I'm on a mnr train up the Hudson and we just passed the old Tappan Zee / new Cuomo Bridge and that part of the old span that fell into the river accidentally is STILL THERE, in the river?

Are we just gonna not bother?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
we got a guy on it

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of sad how Buffalo is like "LOOK AT OUR WATERFRONT IT'S BEAUTIFUL NOW" but after you leave the 10 blocks of Canalside, 95% of the city lives in crippling poverty

If Upstate seceded and residents no longer had Medicaid...things would get very ugly very fast

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

etalian posted:

How much money would it take to save Upstate?

I don’t think there’s enough money to save upstate. I can sorta see if it was more reasonable to go into the city from upstate, maybe you could encourage people to live upstate and work down there? high speed rail? I dunno.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What if Upstate seceded, but then said "actually Niagara Falls is ours - now NYC gets no electricity!" for leverage, and then Upstate could tax downstate residents up the rear end to fund their new state

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

EugeneJ posted:

What if Upstate seceded, but then said "actually Niagara Falls is ours - now NYC gets no electricity!" for leverage, and then Upstate could tax downstate residents up the rear end to fund their new state

i thought nyc is mostly served from like indian point and natural gas plants along the jersey turnpike

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

I don’t think there’s enough money to save upstate. I can sorta see if it was more reasonable to go into the city from upstate, maybe you could encourage people to live upstate and work down there? high speed rail? I dunno.

Well Albany is only 150 miles from NYC.

If you had high speed bullet trains it would much less than the current 3 - 4 hour transit time.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

etalian posted:

Well Albany is only 150 miles from NYC.

If you had high speed bullet trains it would much less than the current 3 - 4 hour transit time.

it's only two and a half hours on amtrak from albany but if you could get it down to like an hour or less then i think that'd help? then extend it out to syracuse and buffalo and whatnot. i dunno how much that'd help, but it'd certainly make it easier for people to get around the state.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Right now the race-to-the-bottom, prostrate yourself to corporations (and rich transplants) is still the main policy prescription that Serious People make. But, even if that were something that was a good idea in the first place (probably not!) and/or could work across the country at the same time (duh, it can't!), I'm not sure there's any going lower than Texas (and Florida) etc. already are. The attempts to make startup incubators etc. in the smaller cities also kind of seem a bit gauzy. Universal basic income and healthcare would help. For upstate NY, bullet trains would be great but I don't know if the real estate and construction is affordable politically, even if it were affordable economically... they have to run in straighter lines to go that fast and you would have to slice through a lot of expensive land owned by connected people. It's sad, or maybe not, but to me it seems that universal healthcare / income might actually more attainable than a New York bullet train. Doesn't help that existing mass transit is so underwater. Maybe I'm wrong, though, things change.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose Serrano has been diagnosed with parkinson's and will not be running for another term in congress. Bronx councilmember Ritchie Torres was already planning on running in the primary but now he's the presumptive favorite for the seat

idk anything about Serrano, he seems like one of those legacy machine democrats with ok enough politics

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Right now the race-to-the-bottom, prostrate yourself to corporations (and rich transplants) is still the main policy prescription that Serious People make. But, even if that were something that was a good idea in the first place (probably not!) and/or could work across the country at the same time (duh, it can't!), I'm not sure there's any going lower than Texas (and Florida) etc. already are. The attempts to make startup incubators etc. in the smaller cities also kind of seem a bit gauzy. Universal basic income and healthcare would help. For upstate NY, bullet trains would be great but I don't know if the real estate and construction is affordable politically, even if it were affordable economically... they have to run in straighter lines to go that fast and you would have to slice through a lot of expensive land owned by connected people. It's sad, or maybe not, but to me it seems that universal healthcare / income might actually more attainable than a New York bullet train. Doesn't help that existing mass transit is so underwater. Maybe I'm wrong, though, things change.

Well NY did spend around 5 billion dollars in corporate welfare for that Hudson Yards development.

Well at least it improved access to Neiman Marcus stores?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

get that OUT of my face posted:

Jose Serrano has been diagnosed with parkinson's and will not be running for another term in congress. Bronx councilmember Ritchie Torres was already planning on running in the primary but now he's the presumptive favorite for the seat

idk anything about Serrano, he seems like one of those legacy machine democrats with ok enough politics

This was super weird, a comrade called like two weeks ago asking about electoral connections in that district because they're looking for candidates to partner with the local Dem org

Apparently I had the inside track on this news? Lmao

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Uh quote not edit