Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's like Florida Man except with drunk driving instead of combos of animals/meth/face eating/deviant sex acts.

https://wsau.com/news/articles/2019/mar/18/man-accused-of-7th-owi-released-on-bond/

https://fox6now.com/2018/07/19/ludicrous-2-serial-drunk-drivers-arrested-in-milwaukee-county-for-their-9th-owis/

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/crime/2018/06/28/shouldnt-bac-0-42-five-times-legal-limit-kill-you/732309002/

https://1440wrok.com/wisconsin-man-picks-up-8th-arrest-for-owi/

https://www.wiscnews.com/portagedai...f8f53fa26b.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bored As gently caress posted:

.24 BAC is fuuuuucking druuuuuuunk

I read "nearly three times the legal limit" and I thought "yeah 0.14 is pretty drat high"

How are you lot rolling around letting people drive when they're 0.08? That's drunk.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Memento posted:

I read "nearly three times the legal limit" and I thought "yeah 0.14 is pretty drat high"

How are you lot rolling around letting people drive when they're 0.08? That's drunk.

The way every state works here is that you can still get busted at a level below that if you're determined to be "impaired" which requires a little more evidence to prove. Sometimes it's a lesser offense.

The 0.08 legal limit is the cutoff for "yeah you were definitely drunk"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

canyoneer posted:

The way every state works here is that you can still get busted at a level below that if you're determined to be "impaired" which requires a little more evidence to prove. Sometimes it's a lesser offense.

The 0.08 legal limit is the cutoff for "yeah you were definitely drunk"

In Maryland at least DUI is two separate charges, one for simply operating a vehicle while .08 BAC or higher, the other for operating while too impaired to safely drive a vehicle, which is basically defined as doing poorly on a field sobriety test. In practice though you're almost never gonna get arrested much less convicted unless you're close to .08.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
DUI means you blew over .08.

DWI means they can't prove you were hosed up but your rear end couldn't pass a field sobriety test, even if it was just because you worked 24 hours straight and were exhausted.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I need to see if I can find the blotter from when I was in charge of an individual who blew a similar bac twice in the span of a couple months or so. I think she was the most alcoholic person I've ever met.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Coasterphreak posted:

DWI means they can't prove you were hosed up but your rear end couldn't pass a field sobriety test, even if it was just because you worked 24 hours straight and were exhausted.

The name (and whether they're different charges) varies from state to state, but you can get dinged for being over the limit OR being intoxicated even if you're below the limit.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's OWI (operating while intoxicated) here, and 1st offense isn't even a misdemeanor. It's legally the same as a speeding ticket from my understanding of the law. :stare:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Coasterphreak posted:

And that's why you should never consent to a field sobriety test. It's gonna end up being your word against theirs and who is a judge more likely to listen to? Not your rear end, that's for sure. You can take me to the station for a real test with a machine that won't say whatever the gently caress it wants, officer.

Growing up in a small town where the cops were infamous for being assholes sure encouraged me to learn about my rights. :v:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Can't trust breathalyzers either. They'll gently caress with that machine until the cows come home or you get some measurable number.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

And if it's malfunctioning and you still try to blow they'll say you hosed with it by burping or something and charge you with refusal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There are places where refusing the breathalyzer is either an admission of guilt, or punished as badly as blowing drunk, so check your local laws.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

in ct refusing is automatic 6 month suspension of your licence

but passengers are allowed open containers in ct

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

All this stuff like if you should take a breathalyzer or not depends on your state laws, as does the terminology and charges.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Its sounding to me like a whole bunch'a people who want to be allowed to drink while behind the wheel.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I assure you all that Uber is much cheaper than a lawyer and I give you a hearty e-slap on the back for doing the right thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'd rather go to jail that use Uber but I still don't drink and drive.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Its sounding to me like a whole bunch'a people who want to be allowed to drink while behind the wheel.

*Looks at thread title*

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It was legal here (Victoria, Australia) to drink alcohol while driving until 2011. As long as you were under the limit, you were fine. Plenty of tradies would crack one open on the way home on a Friday night to get a headstart on their weekend.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'd rather go to jail that use Uber but I still don't drink and drive.

Yeah at least Lyft lets you tip.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah at least Lyft lets you tip.

So does Uber?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So does Uber?

Oh, did that change? Last I saw it wasn't part of the app. Fair enough.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Strabo4 posted:

And that's why you should never consent to a field sobriety test. It's gonna end up being your word against theirs and who is a judge more likely to listen to? Not your rear end, that's for sure. You can take me to the station for a real test with a machine that won't say whatever the gently caress it wants, officer.

Growing up in a small town where the cops were infamous for being assholes sure encouraged me to learn about my rights. :v:

All of the following is YMMV. You don't have to consent to submit to field sobriety tests on the roadside, those you can refuse. I've let people go who performed well on the tests. Also, the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests are NOT scientifically validated for anyone who is more than 50 pounds overweight. So if you're overweight, you could say that to a cop who asks you if you would submit to the tests. Most cops I know only do the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test for overweight people, because the eyes don't lie.

You don't have to submit to the rosdside Preliminary Breath Test (PBT) / breathalyzer either, though even if you do, that test cannot be used as evidence in court against you (due to the fact that it's not calibrated every month, among other reasons) unless the defense counsel agrees to it. The PBT CAN be used as another reason to arrest you, but mostly it has to be in addition to the rest of the totality of the circumstances of the officer's observations of your driving, how you pulled over, your demeanor, slurring of speech, bloodshot eyes, how you performed on the tests, if you fumbled with your drivers license etc etc.

However, when you get a license to drive (and because driving is a priviledge) you give what's called implied consent to give blood/urine/breath test if you are arrested for DUI/DWI/OWI (depending on jurisdiction, it's called a different thing). If you refuse to give blood or urine or do the calibrated breath test at the station, depending on jurisdiction, they can either get a warrant to get your blood and forcibly take it (if, for instance, you caused a serious accident) and you lose your license, or you just lose your license after a hearing with a DMV judge, your lawyer, and the cop. You can almost always get a conditional license to go to work at that hearing, but you could be without a license for a couple weeks until that hearing.

Most first time DWIs get plead down if it was just a DWI, but you're still out however much the tickets were, and $5-10k in lawyer fees.

Don't drink and drive. Uber, Lyft, even an expensive taxi is way more worth it.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 24, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just piss in a Tupperware container hours after the fact and have it independently tested.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Picking up a 30 pack after work and getting home with an 18 is basically oil field tradition

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjweiA2v9s

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

in ct refusing is automatic 6 month suspension of your licence

but passengers are allowed open containers in ct

Memento posted:

It was legal here (Victoria, Australia) to drink alcohol while driving . As long as you were under the limit, you were fine. Plenty of tradies would crack one open on the way home on a Friday night to get a headstart on their weekend.

FrozenVent posted:

There are places where refusing the breathalyzer is either an admission of guilt, or punished as badly as blowing drunk, so check your local laws.

all of these are true in nz lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

all of these are true in nz lol

Yeah you're still allowed to have an open container in the car in Victoria, as long as it doesn't belong to the driver.

How they prove it's yours if you have someone else in the car you pass it to is another question. Generally the cops here are chill if you blow under 0.05, but I guess I'm middle-class and white so they don't have me on their list.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Missouri also has no in car open container laws, because Anheuser-Busch got to write all the liquor laws. Also means that there are no open container or public intoxication laws when just walking around, really useful for sporting events. Slam beers on the way there, then you only need to coast on one or two overpriced arena beers.

I've also used the STLPD as a taxi service before, but that probably only worked out each time because I'm white.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

STL is the only place I've been that gave me a plastic cup to put my drink in and take it with at bar close. Kind of shocked that it isn't a thing up here.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Oh yeah. Whenever we'd go to a Cards game, my friends and I would go to a bar a couple of blocks away and get mixed drinks and six packs and take them from the bar to go drink outside the ballpark.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

All of the following is YMMV. You don't have to consent to submit to field sobriety tests on the roadside, those you can refuse. I've let people go who performed well on the tests. Also, the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests are NOT scientifically validated for anyone who is more than 50 pounds overweight. So if you're overweight, you could say that to a cop who asks you if you would submit to the tests. Most cops I know only do the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test for overweight people, because the eyes don't lie.

You don't have to submit to the rosdside Preliminary Breath Test (PBT) / breathalyzer either, though even if you do, that test cannot be used as evidence in court against you (due to the fact that it's not calibrated every month, among other reasons) unless the defense counsel agrees to it. The PBT CAN be used as another reason to arrest you, but mostly it has to be in addition to the rest of the totality of the circumstances of the officer's observations of your driving, how you pulled over, your demeanor, slurring of speech, bloodshot eyes, how you performed on the tests, if you fumbled with your drivers license etc etc.

However, when you get a license to drive (and because driving is a priviledge) you give what's called implied consent to give blood/urine/breath test if you are arrested for DUI/DWI/OWI (depending on jurisdiction, it's called a different thing). If you refuse to give blood or urine or do the calibrated breath test at the station, depending on jurisdiction, they can either get a warrant to get your blood and forcibly take it (if, for instance, you caused a serious accident) and you lose your license, or you just lose your license after a hearing with a DMV judge, your lawyer, and the cop. You can almost always get a conditional license to go to work at that hearing, but you could be without a license for a couple weeks until that hearing.

Most first time DWIs get plead down if it was just a DWI, but you're still out however much the tickets were, and $5-10k in lawyer fees.

Don't drink and drive. Uber, Lyft, even an expensive taxi is way more worth it.

This is all very jurisdiction dependent so YMMV.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wrote a thing for class and it gave me feelings so allow me to share it with y'all:

A Story About Idiots

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 25, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I wrote a thing for class and it gave me feelings so allow me to share it with y'all:

code:
[url="I wrote a thing for class and it gave me feelings and want to share it with y'all"]A Story About Idiots[/url]

Your URL isn’t a URL...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Your URL isn’t a URL...

loving rekt

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I give up

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

A Story About Idiots

Just paste it in Pastebin or screenshot it and put it on Imgur. Opening that link and being asked to log in with my google account is a hard pass from me.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Memento posted:

Just paste it in Pastebin or screenshot it and put it on Imgur. Opening that link and being asked to log in with my google account is a hard pass from me.

:goonsay:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

A Story About Idiots

Yep. That better get a good grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Opened without a login request for me, maybe wipe cache?