Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How did Rosenberg get the gig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

He did a New Mutants mini and some Astonishing X-Men (and a bunch of other stuff), so it's not like he's a complete unknown.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

He did a New Mutants mini and some Astonishing X-Men (and a bunch of other stuff), so it's not like he's a complete unknown.

That's right. Although now I can't remember if those were well-received, certainly not to the extent of 'yes, let's give this gentleman a flagship title.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

That's right. Although now I can't remember if those were well-received, certainly not to the extent of 'yes, let's give this gentleman a flagship title.'

What had Gillen done when he was given Uncanny? An indie series about magical Britpop DJs?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I was gonna say Journey into Mystery but looks like that ran concurrent with Uncanny. There was S.W.O.R.D. and uh, some x-men minis i think?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I think Age of X-Man has thrown Uncanny X-Men's failings into starker relief: i.e. having the X-Men flagship book have nothing to say while a crop of newer, more diverse writers are right there exploring the concept of being a Mutant from multiple angles within an AU setting.
That, and the two preceding utterly uninspired Flagship X-Men volumes.

Archyduchess posted:

I'm struck by how the only PoC on the Uncanny team have been turned into de-humanized cyber-monsters. And like-- I don't think he's doing this out of explicitly racist motives, I think it's just a testament to how half-assed and poorly-conceived this run is that this decision slid by without editorial going like, uh, maybe not.

I'm usually not a stickler about typos and stuff but even just dialogue bubbles like "We don't need their cops and we don't their cops and we don't need you pretending to be ours" speak to a book that nobody involved really seems to believe in or take pride in. That would be awful, stilted dialogue even if it was lettered correctly!

As Archyduchess notes, no one seems to particularly care about Uncanny, leading to the awkward marginalisation of the few PoC characters (notably an issue in Dead Souls too) in the book, and X-Force has been very "stock" so far as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

What had Gillen done when he was given Uncanny? An indie series about magical Britpop DJs?

When Gillen started writing Uncanny he had written:

Phonogram vol. 1 and 2
A story in This is a Souvenir
Warhammer: Crown of Destruction #1-4
A story in CBGB #1
A story in Starcraft: Frontline
newuniversal: 1959
Manifest Destiny #5
Origins: Sabertooth
A backup Dark Reign: The Cabal
SWORD #1-5
Beta Ray Bill: The Green of Eden
Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter 1-3
Thor 604-614
Siege: Loki
Seige: Epilogue
New Mutants #11
Dark Avengers: Ares #1-3
The Mystic Hands of Doctor Strange
World War Hulks: Spider-Man vs. Thor #1-2

All of which is to say he was clearly rising and Marvel knew what they were getting by the time he was put on one of their biggest series.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shoot, I forgot Gillen filled in on JMS's Thor run after he abandoned it. That was my first exposure to his writing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dawgstar posted:

This is a question I've been asking for the past three years

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
He was part of the first DC New Talent Workshop in 2016 (along with Vita Ayala and Joelle Jones and some other people) and I have no idea of the mechanics, but pretty much all of them ended up getting a lot of writing gigs with everyone *but* DC in the ensuing years.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
4 Kids Walk into a Bank was quite good so Rosenberg's not without talent, but none of his X-related stuff has left me with the impression that he likes these characters. The main thrust of the plot in Dead Souls is pretty good at least, even if it fails the characters. Here, it seems like he'd rather be doing anything else. There's not even a half-decent plot to carry things along, it's just "what if Uncanny was X-Force?" Which we already did like two years ago.

And on the character side, nobody cares that the New Mutants have gone all techno-organic. There's a single word balloon recapping the situation. Nobody's concerned for their well-being, nobody's wondering if they can be counted on in a fight, nobody's asking if there's a way to turn them back to normal. Nobody cares.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Talk of Gillen's bibliography requires me to note that Dark Avengers: Ares was loving amazing and if you haven't read it you should

radlum
May 13, 2013
I guess in a few hours we will know if Hickman is gonna come and save the X-Men from Rosenberg's mediocre work so far. I am liking Age of X-Man and the talent there is pretty great, but once it is over and we are left with only Uncanny X-Men and Rosenberg, then things are gonna be rough for a while. I enjoyed Dead Souls and Multiple Man, but Uncanny has not been good so far (also, it is kind of hard to have a good book when your artist is Larroca; Uncanny never had a chance)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

radlum posted:

I guess in a few hours we will know if Hickman is gonna come and save the X-Men from Rosenberg's mediocre work so far.
Is there something that is coming up "in a few hours" that with answer what Hickman is actually doing?

radlum posted:

I enjoyed Dead Souls
I feel like I was apparently the only one who hated Dead Souls. I only read it to the end because it was a mini series, but it was terrible compared to v1 or v3 New Mutants.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

radlum posted:

I guess in a few hours we will know if Hickman is gonna come and save the X-Men from Rosenberg's mediocre work so far. I am liking Age of X-Man and the talent there is pretty great, but once it is over and we are left with only Uncanny X-Men and Rosenberg, then things are gonna be rough for a while. I enjoyed Dead Souls and Multiple Man, but Uncanny has not been good so far (also, it is kind of hard to have a good book when your artist is Larroca; Uncanny never had a chance)

Man, it's sad Rosenberg can't even make people mad like a Chuck Austen, but instead just instills such apathy.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 23, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

Is there something that is coming up "in a few hours" that with answer what Hickman is actually doing?

I feel like I was apparently the only one who hated Dead Souls. I only read it to the end because it was a mini series, but it was terrible compared to v1 or v3 New Mutants.

Marvel said they're announcing what the "Hickman is coming" ads referred to at a panel at C2E2 today.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/1109565593605279745

https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/status/1109565778209198086

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh it actually is?

I was kidding before because a lot of rumor places were saying it was like 0% chance of being X-Men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hickman: Again, we're keeping alot of this under wraps. Let me just say that we have radical, radical plans for all of you. I grew up primarily a DC Comics guy; the only book I read of Marvel growing up was the X-Men. All the books I've done at Marvel up to this point, those were fantastic jobs -- but they were jobs. This is was the first book I've loved before I started doing."

Hickman: I probably haven't been more proud of anything I've worked on than this. I think all of you will be pretty jacked. We're doing some different radical stuff. Two books that'll you have to read both to stay tuned, but there's a good reason for it.

Clarifcation, the titles are House of X as in the letter "X", then Powers of X as in the roman numeral 10.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dreams do come true!! :flashfap:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teaser pic:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1109567300879949830

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Looks like meat's X-Men's back on the menu pull list!

EDIT:
Who's that on the right with Colossus' skin and Magick's sword? I'm assuming far left is Nightcrawler's father.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 23, 2019

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I just hope there's still room for the great stuff happening at the edges of the X-office like Mr. and Mrs. X, X-32, and Domino/Hotshots. I don't want to lose those voices and perspectives, and frankly, the queerness.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rantmo posted:

I just hope there's still room for the great stuff happening at the edges of the X-office like Mr. and Mrs. X, X-32, and Domino/Hotshots. I don't want to lose those voices and perspectives, and frankly, the queerness.

I mean, there's probably no chance they're reducing the X-Men line to only 2 books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IUG posted:

Looks like meat's X-Men's back on the menu pull list!

EDIT:

Who's that on the right with Colossus' skin and Magick's sword? I'm assuming far left is Nightcrawler's father.

Hickman said some characters are from the past, some are from the present, and some you haven't ever seen but every character has a reason for being in that promo.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kid Havok is adorable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man there's a lot of questions in there.

The 90s costumes, 2 Jeans, the very prominent Magik/Colossus hybrid, child Havok.

(Some of this may be current, I'm not caught up.)

Who's that sitting with Xavier on the bench?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
HALLE-loving-LUJAH. Blue and Gold were the most underwhelming goddamn Flagship X-Books probably ever and this Uncanny has followed that proud tradition (into the ground) but I always knew it was only gonna be a brief-rear end run. I just assumed when AoX ended and the New Status Quo started that it was going to be the same old names as before.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Aphrodite posted:

Who's that sitting with Xavier on the bench?

I think it's Moira MacTaggert.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

X-O posted:

Hickman said some characters are from the past, some are from the present, and some you haven't ever seen but every character has a reason for being in that promo.

Ah, I've been out of X-Comics for a while, only hopping on for a few issues when Gold or this Legion/X-Man arch before bailing out because they were abysmal. I thought I missed some characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh no, is that Vulcan behind Azazel?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

JordanKai posted:

I think it's Moira MacTaggert.

I don't see Kitty anywhere else so I assume it's Kitty.

X-O posted:

Why would anyone put Vulcan in a promo art, that character should be forgotten, not used in ads.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Looks like it, in the costume he wore while in the X-Men.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Put Scott and Emma back together

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

Put Scott and Emma back together

I thought you people wanted X-Men fixed?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The most important character in the promo art.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bleeding Cool were 100% right on with what they posted about this, including this being the 5th big Milestone in X-Men comics. So I'd imagine they're also correct in that both of these books are six issue minis. And that whatever comes after is the December thing in this publishing slate.

EDIT: All issues are already done. Twice monthly alternating for 12 weeks.

Hickman has been back with the company for a year working on this in the background.

Hickman: I'm sorry for what's about to happen. [laughs] I feel you . Change is good. And I do like Cyclops.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 23, 2019

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

:mad:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Yeah, which is why I hope that's not Kitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

That Colossus/Magick hybrid has Kitty's hair?