Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Has the intro panel always said spiders are insects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Listen Peter *just* discovered how to count higher than 5. He keeps forgetting he has another hand.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Has the intro panel always said spiders are insects?
Yes and it always bothered me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Roy Thomas announces Shark-Man: Smooth-Skinned Protector of The Seas!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's not an edit. :catstare:

While I'm here, :doom:.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Haifisch posted:

It's not an edit. :catstare:

WHAT.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Commenter on Comics Kingdom posted:

Today's strip was originally run on 16 November, 2014. Someone added the narration box "Peter dreams of good times" to the first panel, replaced Doc Ock's image in panel 2 with an image of Killgrave, and changed the word ballon to say "Killgrave" instead of "Dr. Octopus". Other than that' everything's the same. (MJ's play closed because the Mammon Theater was damaged, and she got the movie job in "Marvella 2" only a couple of days later. Since The Mammon Theater has now been damaged again (once more, thanks to Spidey!), this is a logical strip to choose to kick off the repeats.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
.....That is technically an edit.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Huh.

But it's not a goon-made edit, anyway.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So will the repeated strips canonically be that Peter is endlessly flashing back to past events because of the heavy brain damage he has suffered from all the blows to his head, ala Mahershala Ali in the most recent True Detective?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

People should stop asking elderly creators what they think of new, different stories, it feels like doing that is only valuable if you're fishing for controversy clicks if they say something clumsily or are honestly critical like Alan Moore.

Having your comics criticized by Alan Moore must be like having Stymie call you a bad poster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Roy Thomas announces Shark-Man: Smooth-Skinned Protector of The Seas!

Metal-Man: The Super-Hero Made of Diamond!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Time is a slightly redacted circle.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Huh.

But it's not a goon-made edit, anyway.

There's a very good chance at least one of the people working on this strip browses this thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Me, the first and last time I brought my computer in to Geek Squad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rob "Gronk" Gronkowski just retired from the NFL.

Coincidence?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is very irresponsible to say for a psych major.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hey I got a question for you, have you gotten into sadomasochism's effects on the memory yet?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait is this because Peter read in the Bugle that Spidey is a criminal and he believes in fake news?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait is this because Peter read in the Bugle that Spidey is a criminal and he believes in fake news?

Every time he sees his name credited as photographer, it makes him ponder how he, Peter Parker, could secretly be Spider-Man if he, Peter Parker, is always the one taking photos of Spider-Man (who is secretly Peter Parker)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Spiderman being surprised that punching metal would hurt shows that this strip was on-brand for its entire run :allears:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gather around, young ones, for I will relay to you the story behind the Kingpin's greatest scheme where he made Spider-Man doubt everything and everyone -- how could he Spider-Man commit all those crimes? And in the spirit of the strip's usual lunacy, you won't believe how he figured out that in fact he Spider-Man was not a schizophrenic thief during the night.

(this is taken from a collection of 1979 strips, I will post one page per day)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I’m on holiday, thanks for covering!

Next week stand by as we investigate who crashed a helicopter into the theatre!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That's not how schizophrenia works. I do like the added touch of showing Carole as being completely incompetent already though. Very NSM.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Gather around, young ones, for I will relay to you the story behind the Kingpin's greatest scheme where he made Spider-Man doubt everything and everyone -- how could he Spider-Man commit all those crimes? And in the spirit of the strip's usual lunacy, you won't believe how he figured out that in fact he Spider-Man was not a schizophrenic thief during the night.

This is really interesting and kind of reflective of when Kingpin was written by Lee. I always got the feeling that Kingpin, as originally envisioned, likely had some type of super strength. Maybe some Super Soldier-like drug that made him "peak" human? Or some type of tech (after all, he did have that weird laser cane)? He's certainly been de-powered over the years. And i think the last time Spidey actually fought him near the tail end of JMS' run, Spidey easily beat him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

notthegoatseguy posted:

This is really interesting and kind of reflective of when Kingpin was written by Lee. I always got the feeling that Kingpin, as originally envisioned, likely had some type of super strength. Maybe some Super Soldier-like drug that made him "peak" human? Or some type of tech (after all, he did have that weird laser cane)? He's certainly been de-powered over the years. And i think the last time Spidey actually fought him near the tail end of JMS' run, Spidey easily beat him.

I've always assumed, based on the versions I've seen, that he's supposed to be phenomenally (but not super-humanly) strong. Like, in a world without super powers he'd be one of the strongest people alive, but in the Marvel universe that barely counts as anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

This art is great and the story isn't repetitive. Are you sure this isn't just an old issue of Amazing Spider-Man?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"This will be my contribution to the escape!" proclaims man who already engineered the simultaneous mass opening of every cell in the prison.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

"This will be my contribution to the escape!" proclaims man who already engineered the simultaneous mass opening of every cell in the prison.

At first I was like "why didn't he just break open his cell door if he can break the god drat jail wall" but of course I'm no match for Kingpin's mind and it was all a diversion! (I mean it would've taken him ages to rip open all those cell doors.)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

This art is great and the story isn't repetitive. Are you sure this isn't just an old issue of Amazing Spider-Man?

I understand your confusion, after all the art isn't being drawn by a 90+ year old man, plus it's the early days when Stan Lee still wrote the newspaper strip as if it was a normal comic. But fret not: in a couple of days you'll see that this version of Spider-Man can be no other than our precious NSM.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

notthegoatseguy posted:

The premise of Kingpin as a physical threat is that he's not fat at all but a big beast of pure muscle. His strength is all earned.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

I understand your confusion, after all the art isn't being drawn by a 90+ year old man, plus it's the early days when Stan Lee still wrote the newspaper strip as if it was a normal comic. But fret not: in a couple of days you'll see that this version of Spider-Man can be no other than our precious NSM.

Realtalk, though, I wonder if the art was re-inked for the collection. It's *really* good looking.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

We gonna keep posting the repeats?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

MJ's not wrong about that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Johnny Walker posted:

"The fire marshall inspected it and said the whole place is likely to burn down if a helicopter ever crashes into it!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lobok posted:

"The fire marshall inspected it and said the whole place is likely to burn down if a helicopter ever crashes into it!"

"Why, you would only need one canister of poison gas to kill an entire room of mobsters."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Let's face it the poison gas canister hanging from the rafters isn't OSHA approved either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I say post the reruns alongside the originals if there are differences.