Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

mobby_6kl posted:

:same: but doesn't seem to do poo poo unfortunately

You don't need ILLEGAL DRUGS for that though? :confused:

When I get even less sleep I want to loving die so clearly that professional drug user must have been on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just neglect your family and do steroids, this is baby stuff dude

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

dantheman650 posted:

My headphones are dead and between lovely gym pop, people playing music from their phones next to me, and bros “totally loving hitting triceps dude” I want to die.

working out at a public gym without headphones is hell

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

bomb posted:

I've been doing a lot of functional training over the last year and kinda want to swap over to body building but also want to be able to walk upstairs and do sporty stuff. Should I train physique 4 days a week and train functional the other 3 days?

I do six day PPL, and I find simply keeping my rest times short really helps with conditioning. I can still play squash and tennis and stuff without dying, and run 5ks at a decent pace (although I try not to)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like gym music. I only notice it when it's not on and you can hear everyone wheezing and grunting.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Last night I dled 355x2 which is a new 2 rep pr. Previous 1 rm was like 360... a2s sheet says I should be pulling 380 by the time the test rolls around in 4 weeks. But I really want to hit 390 because then I'll have maxed my home gym and have to buy more 45s.

Anyway the part of me that hurts the most after this is my loving palms.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Sounds like you're holding the bar too high in your hands. You basically want as close to the end of your fingers where you can still hold onto it.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chinatown posted:

Any time my headphones run out of juice mid-workout my remaining sets immediately become more difficult

it's science, look it up

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It is actually. Last month's MASS had an article about how people listening to preferred music had better bench performance over bench with music you dislike. There was no silence control though so they couldn't conclude if good music increased performance or bad music decreased performance.

Could be both I guess.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

Sounds like you're holding the bar too high in your hands. You basically want as close to the end of your fingers where you can still hold onto it.

Thanks I'll double check it next time.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Guyver posted:

It is actually. Last month's MASS had an article about how people listening to preferred music had better bench performance over bench with music you dislike. There was no silence control though so they couldn't conclude if good music increased performance or bad music decreased performance.

Could be both I guess.

Is Mass a good journal?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Chinatown posted:

Ugh, realtalk. My Y during the Monday to Friday has the most generic classic rock streaming for what I assume to be for the benefit of the largely boomer population there during the 7am to 9am slot. It's always cranked too, can hear it over my earbuds. I'm not saying the music I listen to is better, but at least I'm not subjecting it to anyone else.

Blissfully, this morning they weren't playing music.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Fallows posted:

Is Mass a good journal?

I don't really have anything to compare it to but all the authors are very readable and they break the studies it goes over down well enough that you understand their analysis and how they came to it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
One of the staff at my gym does a Will Smith power hour. Getting jiggy with it, all the classics.

Another plays only the slightly-alternative emo rock poo poo I listened to when I was 18 and still had dreams.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

we get tons of this weird, generic, pro soldier rock at my gym

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A few gyms back the owner would play a best of Judas Priest every night after most people had gone home. That was a good place.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

FizFashizzle posted:

i would squat pr to forunate son

Guyver posted:

I don't really have anything to compare it to but all the authors are very readable and they break the studies it goes over down well enough that you understand their analysis and how they came to it.

i heard about it a while back and have been real interested but its priced just like regular science journals which is too much imo
'
are there online archives if you buy the sub?

Fallows fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 23, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FizFashizzle posted:

are we talking more Five Finger Death Punch or more Take a Knee...My rear end!!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fallows posted:

are there online archives if you buy the sub?

Yes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

are we talking more Five Finger Death Punch or more Take a Knee...My rear end!!

chopper lowers in

and we go down the line

Fighting For America

ONE MORE TIME

THE ARMY <chord chord chord chord>

SACRIFICE <chord chord chord chord>

Ooo Rah, Semper Fi,

Bring it to the enemy ONE MORE TIME

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hell is working at a gym where the owner insists only 80s rock plays, so you're subjected to a 20 song rotation of garbage Guns N Roses, AC/DC, Whitesnake etc and you get to hear Every Rose Has It's Thorn 4-6 times a day.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My gym goes through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef0PRUHqnYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDKwCvD56kw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD-E-LDc384

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1q30pwEf-A

as some of the highlights, I suppose. One random Friday night I went in and it was a great mashup of Queen & MJ & Foreigner & Fleetwood Mac

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

If I owned a gym, I think I'd just be music-free. If I had a spin room, I'd give instructors the option to play music but i figure most people have some form of personal music player on them, and since everyone's tastes are going to be different to some extent I'd leave it to them how they want to drown out the sounds of clanking and grunting.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Nuckols has also mentioned there's likely going to be a pretty significant sale at the 2 year anniversary mark in April/May,I think. A good time to swing a lifetime deal, if you're able to

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

AAAAAA I finally just got above bodyweight in bench press, after it being tantalizingly out of reach (above a 15-lb jump in available weights) for like two goddamn years

Soon I'll be able to eat sunflower seeds off my pecs

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Data Graham posted:

AAAAAA I finally just got above bodyweight in bench press, after it being tantalizingly out of reach (above a 15-lb jump in available weights) for like two goddamn years

Soon I'll be able to eat sunflower seeds off my pecs

Congrats, that must feel great! Yesterday I PR'd my incline press at 215lbsx2reps, which took all the wind out of my sails for regular bench, but in the coming week I'm going to try for 255x1, last PR was 250x2.

Question: how detrimental is concentrating on a particular muscle group day to day? My lats aren't quite the batwing I'd like, if I were to do pullups/chinups/raises three or more days a week would I be working against my progress?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 23, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Congrats, that must feel great! Yesterday I PR'd my incline press at 215lbsx2reps, which took all the wind out of my sails for regular bench, but in the coming week I'm going to try for 255x1, last PR was 250x2.

Question: how detrimental is concentrating on a particular muscle group day to day? My lats aren't quite the batwing I'd like, if I were to do pullups/chinups/raises three or more days a week would I be working against my progress?

Just eat more.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Next week I get to see if my two months of velocity cycle has taught me to catch cleans and snatches in a full squat at heavy weights. No doubt I can work up to body weight clean and jerk by fall if I can get the catch to the level my pull's at.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Hit new PR on bench #blessed #namaste

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

If I owned a gym, I think I'd just be music-free. If I had a spin room, I'd give instructors the option to play music but i figure most people have some form of personal music player on them, and since everyone's tastes are going to be different to some extent I'd leave it to them how they want to drown out the sounds of clanking and grunting.

From what I see in my gym most people don't have a music player at all. Not sure if they just don't want it or if they want to rely on the music in the gym (which sucks) but it's weird. I work out much better with headphones on blasting some ridiculous adrenaline pumpin music

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

My gym has satellite radio that hasn't once been set to a metal or rock station.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my theory is you'll always listen to the music you were listening to when you got into lifting

so twink edm for me it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hChhgMT5wq0

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

My gym has one manager who puts on a guitar rock playlist and one who puts on lightweight pop dance. I guess the first one is better?

Despite this I pulled a three plate deadlift for the first time this week, which is a shade over twice body weight. Suck it, gravity.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
I’m proud because I managed to curl 70 pounds on the ez bar today :unsmith: Now if I could just get past my 110 pound plateau on bench press I might be satisfied.

Eta: I’m a lady

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pump Jockey posted:

I’m proud because I managed to curl 70 pounds on the ez bar today :unsmith: Now if I could just get past my 110 pound plateau on bench press I might be satisfied.

Eta: I’m a lady

You can do it! One of the women I work out with managed to close grip 185 today and that was a PR for her. Just takes time and consistency.

To get better at the bench you need to bench more pretty much.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Atillo posted:

My gym has one manager who puts on a guitar rock playlist and one who puts on lightweight pop dance. I guess the first one is better?

Despite this I pulled a three plate deadlift for the first time this week, which is a shade over twice body weight. Suck it, gravity.

My commercial gym just has pop hits radio on, which I honestly much prefer to lovely butt rock and metal.

If I had a gym it would just be 24/7 synthwave to annoy the meatheads

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

MikeCrotch posted:

If I had a gym it would just be 24/7 synthwave to annoy the meatheads

One of my gym go-to Pandora stations is Carpenter Brut :hfive:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

ElectricSheep posted:

Similarly, I'm fond of Perturbator :respek:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Our gym's music solution is an ipod of some sort hooked up to the PA system. One day it was on playing Paradise City when I came in, definitely way overplayed track but whatever, better than the usual stuff that gets played there. Since it was the day Keith Flint died, I queued up The Fat of the Land to play afterwards to pay respects. Not a minute later some wimp comes along and, unable to handle some G n' R, skips the track :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipO1K24DE90

edit* this is insanely violent btw

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 24, 2019