Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I found some suggestive photos of my sister (F17) on my husbands phone (M23). Do I say anything or what should I do?

We are visiting my mom, stepdad and sister and staying with them right now. Yeasterday we went shopping and my husband and sister left to cook dinner as theey are not fans of shopping. Today I needed to look I picture of a laptop I plan to but, it was in my husband's smarpthone. But I also saw many pictures of my sister while they were cooking. On these photos she is posing as she is pin up girl or something. One photo that diisgust me the most is her playifully licking white stuff of her fingers (meringue I guess). On some photos she has a mark on her butt as if she was slapped with a hand covered in flour.

​They always were really close, it was cute when she was 13 and he was helping her with homework, but now she is a grown girl and I am worried. She clearly loves him more than me, I didn't do anything becouse I thought that she should have a male in her life (our dad died and our stepdad basically ignores our existance) and he always wanted to have a sibling.

​How do I aproach it? Who should I comfort?

​TL;DR Husband made photos of my sister that I consider inappropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

jobson groeth posted:

Nepotism isn't networking.

In my experience the people who benefited most nepotism are always the ones in the most denial that this is a thing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
People hire people that they like and get along with. News at 11.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I found some suggestive photos of my sister (F17) on my husbands phone (M23). Do I say anything or what should I do?

If he hasn't yet he's going to. Just FYI.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

QuarkJets posted:

Nurses are constantly on their feet doing physical things that I imagine is probably damaging, but is that normally described as a form of "physical" labor? I thought that term applied more to construction work, moving services, etc. where physical stuff is literally all you do
Yeah I'm thinking it is more of a trade this guy's in. He should hit his buddy up for a job, join the BS train.

Also lol at the 5k "marathoner". I wonder if he skipped meat for one day he would claim to be vegan?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

Nurses are constantly on their feet doing physical things that I imagine is probably damaging, but is that normally described as a form of "physical" labor? I thought that term applied more to construction work, moving services, etc. where physical stuff is literally all you do

these days there are lots and lots of extremely fat people lol

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm interested in what this guy's line of work is. I'm trying to think of college degrees that result in you performing lots of physical labor. Besides maybe some kind of field scientist doing research which includes lots of digging or something (?), I'm coming up blank. Or maybe he's talking trade school or I'm missing something obvious.

I've got a friend who has some crazy metallurgy related degree that is essentially a very high end welder for things like pressure vessels and pipes. But OP isn't likely to be doing that, because it pays very well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

We are visiting my mom, stepdad and sister and staying with them right now. Yeasterday we went shopping and my husband and sister left to cook dinner as theey are not fans of shopping. Today I needed to look I picture of a laptop I plan to but, it was in my husband's smarpthone. But I also saw many pictures of my sister while they were cooking. On these photos she is posing as she is pin up girl or something. One photo that diisgust me the most is her playifully licking white stuff of her fingers (meringue I guess). On some photos she has a mark on her butt as if she was slapped with a hand covered in flour.

​They always were really close, it was cute when she was 13 and he was helping her with homework, but now she is a grown girl and I am worried. She clearly loves him more than me, I didn't do anything becouse I thought that she should have a male in her life (our dad died and our stepdad basically ignores our existance) and he always wanted to have a sibling.

​How do I aproach it? Who should I comfort?

​TL;DR Husband made photos of my sister that I consider inappropriate.

Plot twist she's only 18.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GI_Clutch posted:

I'm interested in what this guy's line of work is. I'm trying to think of college degrees that result in you performing lots of physical labor. Besides maybe some kind of field scientist doing research which includes lots of digging or something (?), I'm coming up blank. Or maybe he's talking trade school or I'm missing something obvious.

Dentistry.

Spend a lot of time hunched over a patient while scrunched and half twisted while trying to look at a mirror to see the upper rear wisdom teeth and see how your back feels.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Motronic posted:

I've got a friend who has some crazy metallurgy related degree that is essentially a very high end welder for things like pressure vessels and pipes. But OP isn't likely to be doing that, because it pays very well.

What is "very well"? From my understanding, Silicon Valley type tech and security jobs pay ludicrous amounts of money.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Lol. Nursing isn't physical labor. Sure, you're somewhat active moving around your clinic/hospital/etc, but it's not like you're performing actual physical labor on par with working in a warehouse, welding, HVAC, plumbing, construction, etc.

Like, I work in IT asset management where I'm on my feet for much of the day working with hardware and often not at my desk, but it's not actual physical labor either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
There's also been a push lately of lower-tier private schools offering two or four year degrees in fields traditionally served by trade schools or apprenticeship programs.

So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility for him to be in a blue collar trade with an associate's or bachelor's degree in the field.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol. Nursing isn't physical labor. Sure, you're somewhat active moving around your clinic/hospital/etc, but it's not like you're performing actual physical labor on par with working in a warehouse, welding, HVAC, plumbing, construction, etc.

Boy, those nurses over in the nursing thread will be happy to know that their debilitating physical injuries from being on the job don't exist.

Nurses might do more physical crap than just walking around.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

QuarkJets posted:

Yet strangely I've never, ever seen them at any gym I've been to, between 5 gyms in 3 cities. I'm sure other gyms do have them but it seems to be primarily a crossfit thing

Maybe you should sign up for a gym that isn't planet fitness that allows you to do deadlifts and cleans because most gyms won't be comfortable with you failing and dropping cast iron plates.

It's pretty easy to differentiate bumper plate sizes even if they aren't the color variety.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Also nepotism is a VP at a large corporation giving his brother's niece a high-paying administrative assistant job that she probably isn't qualified for. Not someone getting a good job they're qualified for because they have friends at a company. Y'all are dumb.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Like, I work in IT asset management where I'm on my feet for much of the day working with hardware and often not at my desk, but it's not actual physical labor either.

Patients are a lot heavier than CAT5.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cyks posted:

Maybe you should sign up for a gym that isn't planet fitness that allows you to do deadlifts and cleans because most gyms won't be comfortable with you failing and dropping cast iron plates.

It's pretty easy to differentiate bumper plate sizes even if they aren't the color variety.

What is it that you think I said because your post doesn't seem to be relevant at all

I've never even set foot in a planet fitness, did you forget to eat breakfast this morning?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also nepotism is a VP at a large corporation giving his brother's niece a high-paying administrative assistant job that she probably isn't qualified for. Not someone getting a good job they're qualified for because they have friends at a company. Y'all are dumb.

You are like the king of not reading posts and then creating a spicy hot take anyway, the dude getting hired knew "literally nothing about" the field and was completely unqualified

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The poster said his friend wasn't qualified in the least though?

Honestly, I would be pretty pissed about this too, it's like his friend is some 19 year old trust fund baby. Awaiting the update that torpedoes all of this lol

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 24, 2019

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

Boy, those nurses over in the nursing thread will be happy to know that their debilitating physical injuries from being on the job don't exist.

Nurses might do more physical crap than just walking around.

Yeah pretty much. I started off as a laborer in construction before working my way through and finally becoming an operator. I would rather dig ditches than be a nurse. On top of the physical part they deal with a lot of patients that are just outright hostile and nasty. If you're ever hospitalized please be nice to them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol ok IT jockey.

I know / work with a lot of nurses and lol if that’s what you really think.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yes, the bitter and jealous as poo poo OP should be trusted in this case. Not the hardworking former military intelligence/defense firm guy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yes, the bitter and jealous as poo poo OP should be trusted in this case. Not the hardworking former military intelligence/defense firm guy.

don't worry plenty of defense firm and military people are lazy as poo poo, but if you just want to make up poo poo we can do that too; like I couldn't believe it when the OP threw a full jar of vagina acid in the defense firm guy's face, that was uncalled for

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

don't worry plenty of defense firm and military people are lazy as poo poo, but if you just want to make up poo poo we can do that too; like I couldn't believe it when the OP threw a full jar of vagina acid in the defense firm guy's face, that was uncalled for

I have a buddy who does what I think is called "intel dissemination" here in Florida, and he sits and just approves or denies emails to be sent all day. He talks all the time about how it's the perfect job for him because he doesn't have to think about it or care, just do the rote clicks. :shrug:

And military intell guys are very well known for not just sitting in a skiff room dicking around on the internet until they have a briefing, yes.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 24, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Maybe I'm dumb, but don't master level professions require college? Like plumbers/electricians/etc?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but don't master level professions require college? Like plumbers/electricians/etc?

I don't think so, there are trade schools that give you certifications.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
But I was told the upward mobility was for people who worked hard!

I better hold some guy I ostensibly liked all of my life for his good fortune rather than confront my near-realization that the entire economy is a gravy train.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I don't think so, there are trade schools that give you certifications.

If you're UA (a big union in my area) it's a 5 year program that's 50% class time and 50% hands on.

Are trade schools like that not college? And that's still not going to make you a master plumber/electrician/etc.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

"What's so physically taxing about lifting people who weigh hundreds of pounds every day????" - a computer janitor

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

If you're UA (a big union in my area) it's a 5 year program that's 50% class time and 50% hands on.

Are trade schools like that not college? And that's still not going to make you a master plumber/electrician/etc.

imu that trade schools teach you "how to be a plumber" instead of "math, science, english, writing, history, oh and also here is some classes about your field"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

imu that trade schools teach you "how to be a plumber" instead of "math, science, english, writing, history, oh and also here is some classes about your field"

It's still college.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

It's still college.

It isn't, but you do you, red text.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Yet strangely I've never, ever seen them at any gym I've been to, between 5 gyms in 3 cities. I'm sure other gyms do have them but it seems to be primarily a crossfit thing

Huh, I didn't know that. They have them at Anytime Fitness in the DC area and our (not CrossFit) weightlifting gym in Toronto.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

His friend seems to place a lot of stock in academics, so he may not have considered that skills in the tech sector tend to be a lot less rigid. They have to be - if a company wanted the perfect candidate who has X years of experience with every last piece of hardware and software they use they'd never be able to hire anyone.

It really comes down to how much relevant experience do you have and which candidate will take the least amount of time to get up to speed. For example: if he was some kind of cyber intelligence analyst in the military its totally possible he's been working the other side of the fence for the last 4-6 years, which would be an excellent skillset to take into cyber security.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nurses will be the ones rolling your fat IT manager rear end over on the hospital bed to keep you from getting bed sores in a couple years, dipshit.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Blade Runner posted:

"What's so physically taxing about lifting people who weigh hundreds of pounds every day????" - a computer janitor

Not even a metaphorical computer janitor...

Like, I work in IT asset management where I'm on my feet for much of the day working

...literally a janitor

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What is "very well"? From my understanding, Silicon Valley type tech and security jobs pay ludicrous amounts of money.

SV security gig is gonna be $200k in the bay area. Welder buddy is making nearly 75% of that in semi rural PA. Guess which one has more local buying power and a better quality of life?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It isn't, but you do you, red text.

"college" is a generic term with a variable meaning. for instance in canada a trade school is always called a college; if you're talking about a institution that grants four-year academic degrees, you mean a university.

even in america the more proper term for that four-year institution would be a university, which in turn usually contains several colleges. americans blur a lot of terminology though.

you need post-secondary education to be a plumber. it's valid to refer to that education as college.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Motronic posted:

SV security gig is gonna be $200k in the bay area. Welder buddy is making nearly 75% of that in semi rural PA. Guess which one has more local buying power and a better quality of life?

That's pretty great, I guess I assumed that blue collar work like that has been gutted in the US. poo poo man, maybe I need a career change, because busting my rear end running a restaurant is BARELY paying the bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Motronic posted:

does he work on a pipeline by chance?