Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man the goddamn thread title was eerily prescient wasnt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I might have to stop following Greenwald on Twitter. He's patting himself on the back is becoming insufferable.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grondoth posted:

To be fair, the idea that Trump would flip the rust belt states he did seemed totally outlandish. WI and MI going dem was just assumed. By like... the entire political class. We didn't learn yet how dogshit of a campaign Hillary was running.

But you should really be careful about pushing yourself into the mindset that Trump is unstoppable and he's going to win forever. Unless you're super in to Trump, you're going to hate everything if this is your mental framework.

Getting super into Trump has been getting incredibly tempting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Man the goddamn thread title was eerily prescient wasnt it.
Mods knew

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I hope they leak who Individual-1 is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Getting super into Trump has been getting incredibly tempting.
It's tough to resist the siren call of wanting everyone who doesn't look like you to be murdered.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

I might have to stop following Greenwald on Twitter. He's patting himself on the back is becoming insufferable.
Yeah I had to do that at the end of last year when it was pretty clear that he was not at all concerned about Trump's crimes and more that the media was overreacting to everything, which is somewhat correct, but overstated all the time by him. Just felt to me like he was ignoring basic facts of the case and saying that the entire thing was a waste of time and the Dems were foolish to even bother investigating or whatever.

also this happened today at the AIPAC conference that all of the notable Dem 2020 candidates boycotted

https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/1109951243315789825

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's tough to resist the siren call of wanting everyone who doesn't look like you to be murdered.

Hey they could just be extremely anxious about their personal economy

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I had to do that at the end of last year when it was pretty clear that he was not at all concerned about Trump's crimes and more that the media was overreacting to everything, which is somewhat correct, but overstated all the time by him. Just felt to me like he was ignoring basic facts of the case and saying that the entire thing was a waste of time and the Dems were foolish to even bother investigating or whatever.

also this happened today at the AIPAC conference that all of the notable Dem 2020 candidates boycotted

jesus hoyer sucks. he's worse than schumer

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if my understanding of DOJ hierarchy is correct, he always had to run indictment decisions past the highest ranking dude available - Rosenstein until Barr was confirmed, then Barr

like, none of his indictments so far were Mueller just going "welp gonna indict Manafort," he had to run it past Rod

None of Mueller's requests for indictment were denied. Everything he's leaving unprosecuted is by his own intent.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

jesus hoyer sucks. he's worse than schumer

He sucks, but also imagine how sucky you'd have to be to give this a standing ovation.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Didn’t see this posted. These house sessions are going to be spicy.

https://twitter.com/repjerrynadler/status/1109913142933573632?s=21

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Flapjack Monty posted:

Just remember that if you don't currently have stable employment, don't seek therapy. A diagnosis of depression is comically easily for prospective employers to look up, and it will be used against you aggressively. :capitalism:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sources? Or are you just rear end-talking?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

skylined! posted:

Ugh. Can't wait to hear Gym man whine endlessly while, like, AOC or Omar or someone gets 4 minutes of actual work into a 4 hour long jerkoff session.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DeeplyConcerned posted:

he's either intentionally or not confusing the actual advice of 'if you don't need to disclose health issues you probably shouldn't because your boss can probably fire you for it as soon as it becomes mildly inconvenient and you'll have no protection because capitalism is hell' with 'SO DON'T GET DIAGNOSED'

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grondoth posted:

To be fair, the idea that Trump would flip the rust belt states he did seemed totally outlandish. WI and MI going dem was just assumed. By like... the entire political class. We didn't learn yet how dogshit of a campaign Hillary was running.

But you should really be careful about pushing yourself into the mindset that Trump is unstoppable and he's going to win forever. Unless you're super in to Trump, you're going to hate everything if this is your mental framework.

Trih is super into trump

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grondoth posted:

He got lucky that Clinton was a terrible candidate. She is worse than anyone running now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It's total bs. I was Baker acted and I've passed background checks, just going to therapy ain't gonna flag you as a hire risk, also HIPAA exists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ornedan posted:

None of Mueller's requests for indictment were denied. Everything he's leaving unprosecuted is by his own intent.

yeah but once Barr was confirmed the playing field for Mueller may have changed

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He got lucky that Clinton was a terrible candidate. She is worse than anyone running now.

She's not worse than Biden in any shape or form

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

sexpig by night posted:

he's either intentionally or not confusing the actual advice of 'if you don't need to disclose health issues you probably shouldn't because your boss can probably fire you for it as soon as it becomes mildly inconvenient and you'll have no protection because capitalism is hell' with 'SO DON'T GET DIAGNOSED'

No - he said "diagnosis of depression is comically easy to look up", which is false and impossible to confuse with "employers know things about you that you explicitly tell them".

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I just want to say that the versions of USpol and the trump thread have largely been making GBS threads on liberal #resist grifters for a while now and the aspersions cast the last few days that literally every regular poster here was somehow deluded into thinking that Muellers report was going to both be a death blow to trump and start 1000 years of leftist darkness were unwarranted. The drive by nothing matters shitposters can go gently caress themselves.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1109914208752287748?s=21

https://twitter.com/mikeisaac/status/1109955742851694592?s=21

https://twitter.com/kt_so_it_goes/status/1109953145315184641?s=21

https://twitter.com/billcorbett/status/1109864702258171904?s=21

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

It's total bs. I was Baker acted and I've passed background checks, just going to therapy ain't gonna flag you as a hire risk, also HIPAA exists.

It really depends on the industry; for decades the FAA would remove you from flight status if it came out you were taking antidepressants or had a diagnosis of depression. You had to discontinue use of antidepressants ahead of the flight physical which depending on your age (read: most pilots are over 40, so 6 months) was either a year or every 6th months.

If you were diagnosed with a more severe problem like bipolar disorder you would be permanently barred from piloting.

it basically turned into aviation don't ask don't tell with mental health which culminated in that germanwings pilot pancaking his plane into the side of a mountain with a full complement of passengers aboard.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Asema posted:

she's not worse in terms of policy, but biden probably has a better shot at winning than her. mostly due to being a man and being VP to a beloved former POTUS

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

skylined! posted:

Let’s hope they do mueller too.

Asema posted:

At least, Biden has charisma sorta at least.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If mental health disorders were easy to look up (much less actually centrally recorded anywhere) it would be 1000x easier to keep guns out of the hands of the diagnosed mentally ill.

Shockingly, there is literally zero central database of people diagnosed with any mental health conditions. As a ~gun rights~ thing, putting that question down on gun purchase forms was a way for gun lobbyists to toothlessly appease liberal demands because no actual way of checking if the mentally ill are/aren't buying guns exists.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

At least, Biden has charisma sorta at least.

that is 100% because of the Onion because the dumb "maverick" personality he had before hand was terrible.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

skylined! posted:

I just want to say that the versions of USpol and the trump thread have largely been making GBS threads on liberal #resist grifters for a while now and the aspersions cast the last few days that literally every regular poster here was somehow deluded into thinking that Muellers report was going to both be a death blow to trump and start 1000 years of leftist darkness were unwarranted. The drive by nothing matters shitposters can go gently caress themselves.

Are you not down with 1000 years of leftist darkness, or do you not believe such things are possible?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Tibalt posted:

A self-diagnosis test for Nothing Matterism:

Do those seem like the tweets of a satisfied man to you?

skylined! posted:

Tibalt posted:

:toxx: it won't be over, there will be at least one more legal battle or committee hearing or breaking news leaked document.

Unless you're undergoing a physical where blood or urine is taken, it is almost impossible for an employer to receive information on a mental health diagnosis unless you self-disclose. HIV/AIDS status, drug and alcohol abuse, and mental health diagnosis all fall under the umbrella of especially sensitive Private Health Information, or Super PHI as my place calls it. Any potential breach of Super PHI means Compliance is supposed to be involved, no matter if only one patient is affected. No way your therapist is just telling your potential new boss poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Asema posted:

that is 100% because of the Onion because the dumb "maverick" personality he had before hand was terrible.
Onion literally had a "Biden dusts off badass Harley ahead of primary season" a week ago

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grondoth posted:

Voter suppression works.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

If mental health disorders were easy to look up (much less actually centrally recorded anywhere) it would be 1000x easier to keep guns out of the hands of the diagnosed mentally ill.

Shockingly, there is literally zero central database of people diagnosed with any mental health conditions. As a ~gun rights~ thing, putting that question down on gun purchase forms was a way for gun lobbyists to toothlessly appease liberal demands because no actual way of checking if the mentally ill are/aren't buying guns exists.

This is a phenomenally terrible idea. If such a database existed, it would get leaked/hacked within 15 minutes and suddenly the employment prospects of anyone that's ever gotten mental health treatment don't look so good anymore. All such a database would do is dissuade people from getting help.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah except fewer people would seek treatment and get diagnosed

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The House Judiciary needs to bring Mueller in and ask him if he would have additional work to do if they appointed him independent counsel.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Also mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of violence than to commit violence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Standing in front of a room of rabid Trumpists criticizing fellow D members should get you kicked out of the caucus.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Don't ask a potential gun buyer if they're seeing a therapist. Ask them if they ever had a restraining order or have been charged with domestic abuse.

Edit: Although maybe make an exception for suicidal thoughts in the last 48 hours or something.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can the contents of the Mueller report be used in other cases? Like the SDNY one

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can the contents of the Mueller report be used in other cases? Like the SDNY one

probably. hell the SDNY has been working with him and getting info from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tibalt posted:

Don't ask a potential gun buyer if they're seeing a therapist. Ask them if they ever had a restraining order or have been charged with domestic abuse.

Edit: Although maybe make an exception for suicidal thoughts in the last 48 hours or something.

They already do this, the thing is they don't verify literally any of the questions asked outside of 'do you have an arrest record'

Fart Amplifier posted:

yeah agreed, it would be a lot easier and far more effective to just ban guns