Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Are there any good short mystery anime? Ideally, I am looking for something that has both a clever central mystery to solve/aimlessly speculate about and a core cast of interesting well-developed characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Are there any good short mystery anime? Ideally, I am looking for something that has both a clever central mystery to solve/aimlessly speculate about and a core cast of interesting well-developed characters.
Things I can recommend (both 2 cours, so I dunno if they qualify as "short"):
  • There's Hyouka (which had its scripts done by the Full Metal Panic guy for the anime adaptation) is pretty good though a bit more down-to-earth.
  • Ghost Hunt (based on the novels written by the Twelve Kingdoms and Shiki author) leans more to the "supernatural mystery" end of things, and I remember it being good. Also a tiny bit of trivia: This is the anime in which a 20-year-old Nobuhiko Okamoto (Bakugo in MHA, Accelerator in Railgun/Index) debuted.
Haven't seen The Perfect Insider and Holmes of Kyoto, but I've heard/read good things about the former.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Where are my anime about dogs? Human/dog relationships. I'm a little obsessed with My Neighbor Roommate is a Cat, but I want a series about the superior pet species: dogs!

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 16, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Where are my anime about dogs? Human/dog relationships. I'm a little obsessed with My Neighbor is a Cat, but I want a series about the superior pet species: dogs!

Full Metal Alchemist
Dog Days
Inuyasha

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 16, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Cappy posted:

Full Metal Alchemist

You are a terrible person for this. :stonklol:

Nanigans posted:

Where are my anime about dogs? Human/dog relationships. I'm a little obsessed with My Neighbor is a Cat, but I want a series about the superior pet species: dogs!

Watch the new version of Kino's Journey.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch the new version of Kino's Journey.

I think I started that a long time ago. Is the dog his motorcycle or is there an actual dog?

Also...Alexander. :cry:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nanigans posted:

I think I started that a long time ago. Is the dog his motorcycle or is there an actual dog?

Also...Alexander. :cry:

There is an actual dog. Some of the episodes follow a different group of travellers you'll meet a few episodes in, and one of them is a Very Good Boy :allears:.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Run With the Wind has a real good dog

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mouryou no Hako, paranoia agent, lain

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Where are my anime about dogs? Human/dog relationships. I'm a little obsessed with My Neighbor Roommate is a Cat, but I want a series about the superior pet species: dogs!

The Tibetan Dog

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Junkers Come Here

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nanigans posted:

Wolf Children?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Agreed with the previous suggestion of Hyouka. Though there's not much of a central mystery there, the characters are great, it's a beautiful show, and it's very well-directed. Saw The Perfect Insider was suggested - not one I'd bother with. I watched it quite a while ago and was really let down. Excellent OP though.

Other suggestions:

• Erased - Murder mystery with a bit of a twist. Fantastic to start out with but sadly petered out towards the end. That said, the first four or so episodes are great. On Netflix in many countries.
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S1 - Specifically I recommend Season 1 here, and watching it in the broadcast order (sometimes called Kyon order I think?). More slice of life than a mystery, but it's great fun working out what the hell is going on watching it this way - not so much if you watch it in chronological order. Pretty good dub as well should you like them. Likely you've already seen this though. Think Funimation have the license to this one most places.
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - The Haruhi movie, best watched after the two seasons of the show. Again one you've likely seen, but well worth watching if you haven't.
  • Steins;Gate - Hard to fit this one into an exact genre, but mystery's a big part of it. Sci-Fi drama mystery, sorta? One of my favourite anime, and another one with an excellent English dub. Based off a VN, and available to watch on Funimation or Netflix if you have either of those, depending on where you live.
  • Re:Zero - Doesn't really fit the 'well-developed characters' part of what you're looking for, but drat if this show wasn't endless fun to speculate about week-on-week. However, the novels the show was based off are still ongoing, so the mystery isn't 'solved' by the end of it. Perhaps not your thing if you hate isekai/fantasy shows. Available on Crunchyroll.
  • Paranoia Agent was mentioned above, and a movie by the same director is Perfect Blue. Short (90 mins) and great horror film. Very adult and a fair few disturbing themes however, so perhaps not one to consider if you're sensitive to that kind of thing or would be watching with people who are.
  • Higurashi - Another one based off a VN, so you may prefer to play it if that's your thing. A good horror/mystery show mostly split into 'arcs' of three to four episodes each, all contributing to a central mystery. Think this one's on HIDIVE or Hulu?
  • Baccano! - Slightly off-the-wall suggestion, in the same sense as Haruhi where the show itself isn't a mystery as such, but it's presented in such a way that figuring out what's going on is an enjoyable puzzle of its own. Again, fantastic dub.

That's everything that's come to mind right now. Not everything there is a mystery at its core, but I feel all those shows/movies at least have strong mystery elements to them. Hopefully something grabs your interest!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Cappy posted:

Full Metal Alchemist
Dog Days
Inuyasha

Any series with your favorite waifu

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah Ginga Nagareboshi Gin is the original dog anime. It has a lot of dog peril if that's something you can't handle however

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I'll be sure to check all of these series out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nanigans posted:

if manga is okay, you might enjoy Inubaka, it's about a girl at a pet shop that sells dogs in Japan and the dogs look like dogs instead of if you described a dog to an alien like a lot of mangas. be warned though, viz licensed it and then dropped it before finishing(I wish someone would pick up and finish the remaining 7 volumes), so it's not completely translated nor likely to be. but the translation in the scans of the official volumes are good, of course, even if the scan quality is garbo

there's one particular scene that just makes me tear up every single time I see it, it's really good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

if manga is okay, you might enjoy Inubaka, it's about a girl at a pet shop that sells dogs in Japan and the dogs look like dogs instead of if you described a dog to an alien like a lot of mangas. be warned though, viz licensed it and then dropped it before finishing(I wish someone would pick up and finish the remaining 7 volumes), so it's not completely translated nor likely to be. but the translation in the scans of the official volumes are good, of course, even if the scan quality is garbo

there's one particular scene that just makes me tear up every single time I see it, it's really good.

Well that managed to get me to tear up as well.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
God drat it

Petting my dog extra lots right now.

edit: Yeah, I think this manga is right up my alley. Thanks Captain Invictus and everyone!

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 17, 2019

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Friend found a T-Shirt he wants to buy.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

holy moly

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Would anyone have any recommendations for something I could watch in the background while working? I suppose it would require a good dub since I wouldn't be able to reliably read subs.

I haven't watched any anime in more than a decade so my old tastes might no longer be relevant, but I remember enjoying Read Or Die and PlanetES quite a bit.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jaded Burnout posted:

Would anyone have any recommendations for something I could watch in the background while working? I suppose it would require a good dub since I wouldn't be able to reliably read subs.

I haven't watched any anime in more than a decade so my old tastes might no longer be relevant, but I remember enjoying Read Or Die and PlanetES quite a bit.

Gundam Wing has a great dub :unsmigghh:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gundam Wing has a great dub :unsmigghh:

its also incredibly boring so youll be able to focus on work effortlessly

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ah, Gundam, holding a warm place in my heart as "that one with mechs that isn't evangelion"

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
I am looking for anime that deals with the supernatural; think along the lines of Mushi-shi or Witch Hunter Robin. Preferably something that came out within the last ten tears? No underaged characters or pandering please.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Natsume's book of friends.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rianlee posted:

I am looking for anime that deals with the supernatural; think along the lines of Mushi-shi or Witch Hunter Robin. Preferably something that came out within the last ten tears? No underaged characters or pandering please.

Hakaba Kitaro

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Check out it's incredible epic op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQN_ZTxfsA

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a new Gegege no Kitaro series every decade or so since the 60s and as far as I can tell they're all good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Mononoke

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a new Gegege no Kitaro series every decade or so since the 60s and as far as I can tell they're all good.

the recent one is lukewarm at the absolute best

the one Gorf linked is fantastic though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:krad: incarnate!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rianlee posted:

The word 'pandering' can mean many things, but given the context I'm gonna guess you're referring to Standard Anime Fanservice Nonsense because that narrows things down a bit.

Jinrui wa suitai shimashita a.k.a. Humanity Has Declined - extremely slice of life, somewhat social commentary/satire. Protagonist is a teenage humanoid but I don't recall any ecchi bullshit. (Can't guarantee there is none, but if there is it didn't register at all.)
Kyougoku Natsuhiko: Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari a.k.a. Requiem from the Darkness - wandering writer collects tales of Japanese folklore by blundering into them. 2003 but obscure so you might not have seen it.
Ergo Proxy - post-climate-apocalypse cyberpunk odyssey with a side of dead artificial gods.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rianlee posted:

Ayakashi, specifically the Bakeneko arc. once you've watched those episodes you can move onto the sequel series that was spun-off from it, Mononoke. i only recommend this watch order because the Bakeneko episodes of Ayakashi are treated as a prequel to the Mononoke series, and i feel like watching them in that order enhances the overall themes of the series and especially the final arc of Mononoke.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
Ergo Proxy sounds pretty interesting, as does the other shows.

This second request feels impossible; a friend likes anime like Bubblegum Crisis, Witch Hunter Robin, Sol-Bianca, and the two Ghost in the Shell series. So strong women protagonists in a sci-fi setting. Anything within the last 15 years that again doesn't have underage characters and excessive fanservice?

Thanks for the recs!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
They already seen Psycho Pass?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Not within the last 15 years but Patlabor fits all the other criteria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rianlee posted:

Ergo Proxy sounds pretty interesting, as does the other shows.

This second request feels impossible; a friend likes anime like Bubblegum Crisis, Witch Hunter Robin, Sol-Bianca, and the two Ghost in the Shell series. So strong women protagonists in a sci-fi setting. Anything within the last 15 years that again doesn't have underage characters and excessive fanservice?

Thanks for the recs!

Ergo Proxy fits that one too lol