Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for caring about "stolen valor" when it comes to computer science.

lol, didn't know how else to describe it but I think that's a good comparison.

I'm studying computer science at university -- third year. It's really difficult. My friend recently got a job in a tech support, where people call in needing help with their computers. It was a level entry job with no experience necessary.

He keeps telling everybody that he "works in IT" and everyone keeps saying how impressive that is, and that they're really impressed. But it's a call center job, and meanwhile I'm busting my rear end off with real IT work. It pisses me off.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for caring about this.

I mean lots of coders and rack maids call themselves engineers so this ain't specific to the guy handling tickets and saying he's in IT (which probably is more accurate) but it's always weird to see people getting mad about this kind of thing like sorry you feel it devalues your stemlord degree but maybe seek a more specialized field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lmao your friend actually has a job and you're a comp sci student. Your "valor" is loving worthless, no one wants to steal it.

yeah I bent the meaning of stolen valor, but no more then the op.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend he has a small penis?

I feel like this thread has had a few of these "I'm going to keep badgering you about my dick size and not accept reassurance" guys and I cannot figure out how they hope it's going to end. I know it's probably just gnawing continuous insecurity that makes them keep asking, but I still kind of imagine them as secret cuckolding fetishists who believe a critical mass of frustration will make their partners summon a bull from thin air

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

FAUXTON posted:

I mean lots of coders and rack maids call themselves engineers so this ain't specific to the guy handling tickets and saying he's in IT (which probably is more accurate) but it's always weird to see people getting mad about this kind of thing like sorry you feel it devalues your stemlord degree but maybe seek a more specialized field?

He does not have a degree at all which is the funniest part of this

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this thread has had a few of these "I'm going to keep badgering you about my dick size and not accept reassurance" guys and I cannot figure out how they hope it's going to end. I know it's probably just gnawing continuous insecurity that makes them keep asking, but I still kind of imagine them as secret cuckolding fetishists who believe a critical mass of frustration will make their partners summon a bull from thin air

To be fair it's the same exact thing as the "are my boobs too small" girls who constantly badger their boyfriends over that, it's just insecurity over a perceived inadequacy and nothing can serve to reassure them ever

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this thread has had a few of these "I'm going to keep badgering you about my dick size and not accept reassurance" guys and I cannot figure out how they hope it's going to end.

that their partner will alter their pussy chemistry and start releasing the secret dick growing lube

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antivehicular posted:

It's basically the equivalent of telling your girlfriend her tits are too small. (or her rear end is too small/too big, depending) You've activated the self-destruct button for your relationship either way.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's basically the equivalent of telling your girlfriend her tits are too small. (or her rear end is too small/too big, depending) You've activated the self-destruct button for your relationship either way.

She didn’t do that. She just answered his question after him hounding her. Just telling out of the blue is a different story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

She didn’t do that. She just answered his question after him hounding her. Just telling out of the blue is a different story.

Ahh, that's what happens when you're incapable of not hammering said self-destruct button yourself.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blade Runner posted:

To be fair it's the same exact thing as the "are my boobs too small" girls who constantly badger their boyfriends over that, it's just insecurity over a perceived inadequacy and nothing can serve to reassure them ever

Cosmetic surgery is taking something you hate about yourself and paying a lot of money to fixate even more on it.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Barudak posted:

Cosmetic surgery is taking something you hate about yourself and paying a lot of money to fixate even more on it.

I thought that was therapy

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm studying computer science at university -- third year. It's really difficult. My friend recently got a job in a tech support, where people call in needing help with their computers. It was a level entry job with no experience necessary.

He keeps telling everybody that he "works in IT" and everyone keeps saying how impressive that is, and that they're really impressed. But it's a call center job, and meanwhile I'm busting my rear end off with real IT work. It pisses me off.

What a loving idiot. I hope he doesn't have that attitude in the work force. Talk poo poo to deskside and see how fast your poo poo gets fixed.

Who am I kidding everyone not an entry level programmer will hate him.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PostNouveau posted:

Stealing marathon valor is really funny. I'mma order the biggest number those dumb car stickers go up to.
You ran 69 miles? Nice.

~alternatively~

You ran 420 miles?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

Dude says he was an inexperienced drinker, got black out drunk and the partner intentionally put a glass of spirits next to him knowing he would probably scull that sucker?? I've seen petite people who are inexperienced drinkers have to go to hospital after half a box of those minimal alcohol flavoured vodka drinks, like multiple times.

Quit giving booze to junior high girls you creep

Doc Hawkins posted:

What's the most sophisticated plan any of you folks have executed while blackout drunk because Im not sure I could have physically filled a bottle with vodka and placed it quietly on a nightstand, much less do it as part of a hilarious scheme.

Went into a road construction site, got an eight wheel hauler started up and drove it around for an hour, parked it back where I found it and left.

Wait was that a rhetorical question?

quote:

AITA for being unsupportive of my boyfriend’s dream of being a Twitch streamer

I guess teenagers just don't form bands anymore

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If anything I'm actually more responsible when I'm drunk (or brutally hangover and puked all over the place) than when I'm sober. It's hard to procrastinate when you're drunk. Either you decide to do something or you decide not to.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything I'm actually more responsible when I'm drunk (or brutally hangover and puked all over the place) than when I'm sober. It's hard to procrastinate when you're drunk. Either you decide to do something or you decide not to.

I did my taxes while blackout drunk once. Didn't make any mistakes and got a nice refund!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there's a place for doing complex work while trying to stay blacked out, and it's called graduate school

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

tactlessbastard posted:

I guess teenagers just don't form bands anymore

being in a band requires that you at least learn an instrument (or have a non-terrible singing voice)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CheesyDog posted:

there's a place for doing complex work while trying to stay blacked out, and it's called graduate school
:emptyquote:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

CannonFodder posted:

You ran 69 miles? Nice.

~alternatively~

You ran 420 miles?

Yeah but not in a row

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

That guy literally works in IT, what a loving moron.

Boiled Water posted:

being in a band requires that you at least learn an instrument (or have a non-terrible singing voice)
Not if it's a punk band!

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Antivehicular posted:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes confirmation of your comically small weiner

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Dude, we still get abstinence-only sex ed in some places. If you told me a school taught that jerking off would give you hairy palms and blindness, I'd believe it.

A few pages ago, but my seventh grade biology teacher had to do sex ed when we got to reproduction. He told us that masturbating during puberty fucks with hormones. And that while you can't tell just by looking, there are definitely differences they can see with testing. It's one of the most batshit anti-masturbation myths I've ever heard, before or since.

As for blackouts, I've been an alcoholic for years (binges usually, but seriously until recently), and never blacked out. My memory gets fuzzy sometimes, but comes back when reminded.. I've had people tell me I've just never drunk enough, but if I drank more than the most I have in the past, I'd probably just be dead. I blame natural selection, since both sides of my family are chock full of alcoholics.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Araenna posted:

A few pages ago, but my seventh grade biology teacher had to do sex ed when we got to reproduction. He told us that masturbating during puberty fucks with hormones. And that while you can't tell just by looking, there are definitely differences they can see with testing. It's one of the most batshit anti-masturbation myths I've ever heard, before or since.

As for blackouts, I've been an alcoholic for years (binges usually, but seriously until recently), and never blacked out. My memory gets fuzzy sometimes, but comes back when reminded.. I've had people tell me I've just never drunk enough, but if I drank more than the most I have in the past, I'd probably just be dead. I blame natural selection, since both sides of my family are chock full of alcoholics.

There's definitely some variance. I sometimes have vaguely fuzzy memory but I normally maintain just as good memory of the event as if I was sober even when I'm stumbling drunk (I stop before I actually get sick), whereas my friend only needs 4 cocktails before her memories of the night are totally erased.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

mobby_6kl posted:

That guy literally works in IT, what a loving moron.

he’ll fit right in

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

so what you're saying is that he has issues with boundaries

Beautifully played.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pirate Radar posted:

I think everybody’s capacity while blackout varies because the exact point at which you stop forming memories can be different from person to person. The most complicated thing I’ve ever managed to do without remembering it is get myself home in a taxi, versus, I knew a guy who blacked out in one city and came to in another 150km away.

I got blackout drunk exactly once in my life, although I don't even know if it counts as a "true" blackout because I'm only missing about an hour of memory. What I remember is us going from the last bar to a diner, sitting down. Then immediately getting back up and making a quick pit stop to throw up in the bathroom before we went home.

What I'm apparently missing was what I was told was a fairly detailed rant about how Al Qaeda created hangovers to destroy America.

Flannelette posted:

I'm seriously starting to believe there really are guys that lose 50 IQ points whenever they get a boner and this is where all the dickpics come from.

Well the body does have to pump extra blood to create the boner, so there's less available for the brain. That's just good science.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

My fiance (28 f) just told me she thinks i'm (27 M) possessed by her dead fiance and destined to reincarnate him through our child. I'm thinking of walking right now. I'm lost and need advice.

quote:

I'm using a throwaway because holy gently caress

My title is kinda the rundown of the situation but i'll give some context.

I've known my fiance (we'll call her Jane) since high school. We were never that close then and really only knew each other through mutual friends. At the time she was dating a man we'll call Shawn. They were the definition of high school sweet hearts and dated from 16 into college. From what I heard at the time they were obsessed with each other and were madly in love. When Jane was 21 her and Shawn got engaged and were planning on marring that spring. Well, only 4 weeks after they got engaged Shawn died. He was hit by a drunk driver who crossed onto the side walk late at night and died before the ambulance came. This destroyed Jane. She pretty much dropped out of college and disappeared for a year. It was so bad for her she broke down on the steps to the court house on the day the driver was to be prosecuted and needed to be taken away in an ambulance. After that I lost contact with her along with most of our mutual. She had locked herself in her room and threatened to kill herself and after that she disappeared.

Until a little over 2 years ago. I met her randomly at a Starbucks and we decided to catch up. It was weird but there was a spark almost immediately and since then we've been together. At first it looked like she was over Shawn and had moved on but that was wrong. I found she still had a little shrine to him in her house and would talk about him to me occasionally believing he is "watching over her". While this seemed weird I understand it. This was very traumatic for her and she honestly may never get over it fully. I honestly probably should have thought this over more but she seemed as if she was doing fine and had move past him almost entirely and only wanted something to remember him by.

Well, this changed entirely these past few months. In December I proposed to her. It was great, we started planning the wedding and moved in together last month. Since then though, she's been acting strange. When she moved in with me she moved her shrine with her and insisted it be in our bedroom and I stupidly let her. Along with this, she's been treating me very different. While she was always a little babying before now she tries to do everything for me like she's a slave. She even broke down one night because I wanted to cook and it was her "job" to do that. Along with this, she has started to to treat me totally different. She insists I like things I don't, she has tried to get me to do things I hate, all while saying I used to love them.

This behavior has really been freaking me out, but that not the worst of it. Since moving in she has accidentally been calling me Shawn. Every time she does it she apologizes crying even though i never say anything. While I can kinda understand it, the way she reacts when she does so freaked me out the most. All of this lead up to this week. Something changed about her. She started acting a bit more, relaxed. She started to loosen up about her doing everything and stopped crying when she accidentally called me Shawn. I thought maybe she was finally starting to adjust. I was wrong.

Last night things finally made sense. We we're making plans for the wedding when she slipped a comment in about not having to "pretend" anymore. When I asked she told me "oh, you know Shawn". The way she said it freaked me out so much. That was not an accident and she had just called me that on purpose. When I confronted her she all of the sudden freaked out and told me to "stop pretending". Eventually she stopped and said that I must not "understand". She wen't on about how she didn't understand either and at first and I must just need to be told.

She proceeded to tell me that I am, in fact, Shawn's "vessel" for his rebirth. Apparently she thinks Shawn has been coming to her in dreams since his death, telling her that he is not dead and possessed someone. According to her, I was "chosen by him" to impregnate her and that her child will be his new body. This week he came to her again and said he had finally "merged" with my conciseness and on our wedding night I was going to impregnate her with him.

There was no hint of any sarcasm or deceit when she said this. I shut down then. I didn't say anything to her and just went to bed. She decided to "give me some time" and slept on the couch last night. The only thing i've said to her since then was asking her if she really loved me. To which she replied "Of course, Shawn chose you as my husband and his new father."

She is at work right now. I took today off and an sitting in bed right now on the verge of losing it. Last night at 3 am I packed a back with everything I want and am contemplating running right now. I love her, at least I did. If I leave she will be crushed. I'm also afraid she'll kill herself if I leave. I just, I need help right now.

:yikes:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Why do some people have to post on the internet before they leave their partners. I feel like some red flags come with blaring alarms.

Like, say, “believes I carry the spirit of her dead fiancé”.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Skutter posted:

My fiance (28 f) just told me she thinks i'm (27 M) possessed by her dead fiance and destined to reincarnate him through our child. I'm thinking of walking right now. I'm lost and need advice.

Buddy your fiance just told you she's gonna gently caress her kid what the gently caress is wrong with you, why is this a question?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skutter posted:

YES gently caress this is why I read this thread!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The incest porn industry is really struggling for new storylines

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh look at the time it’s yikes o clock

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Skutter posted:

I feel really sorry for that woman but yeah it's time for that guy to go. Yeesh.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Damnit Shawn if you tell her your plans you take all the romance out of it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
This is an easy solve, you just have to convince her you aren't Shawn by doing the most unShawnlike behavior.

I bet Shawn didn't eat dogfood for dinner.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

dudeness posted:

This is an easy solve, you just have to convince her you aren't Shawn by doing the most unShawnlike behavior.

I bet Shawn didn't eat dogfood for dinner.

She would assume this is just teething problems for their merging consciousnesses. Got to expect some weird behaviors until the wedding night when her true love will become her child and she can discard the husband husk. Comedy option is that she does conceive on their wedding night and she has a daughter.....or better, twin daughters. Where is Shawn now?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Red Flag level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MeV0E6Ibyk

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Skutter posted:

Again, this is one of those times where if you say my ex was legit psycho, no one is going to call you out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My [26F] girlfriend [24F] hates my hobbies and I'm getting tired of it. Relationships
submitted 2 hours ago by yesihavehobbies

quote:

Together two years. This is a such a lovely situation because apart from this she is very much perfect. However I can't carry on like this, it's becoming too much of a hassle to live up to her expectations of what I should be like. I've been the exact same way throughout our relationship and she's acting like I suddenly started liking this stuff.

I'm a big fan of both anime and video games. Always have and always will. I grew up with both of those things as my hobbies and they've continued into my adult years. Perhaps GF assumed I'd grow out of them or something.. which I most definitely will not. Every single day she'll come home from work and if I'm watching an anime or playing a video game, she'll make some snarky remark and pretty much ignore me for the rest of the evening. I have to make sure to stop what I'm doing when I know she's coming home because if she catches me doing any of that, she changes completely and I won't have time with her.

I am not on these things every second of the day. I am ALWAYS after her attention. But after she rejects me all the time and tells me to "go back to my anime girls" I just do. I'm so tired of it. When she first started being this way (a year ago), I would chase after her and tease her for being jealous and make sure she knows I want to be with her and spend time with her but after a year it's just gotten so god drat old. Every single time she catches me watching an anime or being on a game it's like she wants nothing to do with me until the next morning.

Now if she sees I haven't watched anime or played a game all day, she will be ALL OVER ME. Acting like she didn't just ignore me for a day for no reason. I ask her why she's like this and she tells me because she doesn't like being ignored for this stuff, however she doesn't realise as soon as she's home I get off my hobbies and go to her. All I want to do is cuddle her and be with her after work but when she's so mood straight away because she's seen me on my laptop, I kind of don't want to anymore. She can act horribly and I don't want to chase after her lol.

The way I see it, I either cut off my hobbies which I love, or she continues to act this way. I want neither of those options. I guess the other is to break up which would suck, and tbh she'd see that as me choosing anime over her anyway.

PS - For some reason, the anime pisses her off more than the games do. I AM NOT WATCHING HENTAI. I AM WATCHING CUTE ROMANCE ANIME, ADVENTURE ANIME, FUNNY ANIME. I have never seen a provocative anime and I don't want to. I couldn't watch hentai despite what she thinks, it's gross to me. I see anime as like a childhood thing and that's why I enjoy it. How can she possibly be jealous of a tv show?! And like I said before, I am NOT watching these all day. I watch them for like an hour or two when I get home from work before she finishes.

Anyone have ANY advice at all? I am SO fed up.

TLDR - GF hates when I watch anime or play video games and feels weirdly jealous about it. I am tired of chasing after her despite not doing anything wrong. I try and go to her and drop everything I've been doing but she will reject me totally if she knows I've been doing either one of those things before she gets home.

Grow up manbaby. Of course he's being supported by the reddit crowd.