Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I finally put up 200 pounds in a strict OHP after doing some singles for fun after my work sets. I actually get to test next week and I'm hoping for 225+ which will feel pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Big boy!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dilber posted:

I finally put up 200 pounds in a strict OHP after doing some singles for fun after my work sets. I actually get to test next week and I'm hoping for 225+ which will feel pretty good.

what's your programming?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Nothing that I have the plan to. I go in and do what my friend that's a really good sports physical therapist and strength coach tells me to do. He's got my plan but adjusts based off how I'm moving. I'm almost a month back into training again after being out of the gym since last June with recovery issues due to thyroid and sleep problems. I'm finally on a CPAP and able to recover and it makes a difference.

We're working on some of my movement patterns and we're going to shed the bad weight I put on and prep for a strong man meet.

He's had singles in my plan if I'm moving well to acclimate me to heavier weights again.

Here's a super easy 415 squat single so he let me do a 430 after but capped it there even though it was a similar bar speed. Hoping to test in the 470s which wouldn't be bad for a month back in the gym.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUw6jpnEAj/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=yy53wxi7v3oy

Dilber fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 24, 2019

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Good squat!!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

We got a strong boy here.

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

lol @ that lickety speed for 415

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dilber posted:

Cool

I sprained my shoulder because I slept wrong

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

drat, that's a pretty squat...

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

PR'd 8 plates on trap bar deadlifts today, 414#

Crazy thing is I stopped training deadlift (@350) 9 months ago and swapped to 70# kettlebell swings/getups. Does it make sense for a PR to go up by 65 pounds without training? I feel like I can go even higher but would need to swap to straight-bar.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Kurt Loadeater posted:

How the gently caress do you guys find the time?

my gym is right next to work, just schedule it into your day

definitely a good way to break up the day and you feel good afterward

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bomb posted:

Crazy thing is I stopped training deadlift (@350) 9 months ago and swapped to 70# kettlebell swings/getups. Does it make sense for a PR to go up by 65 pounds without training? I feel like I can go even higher but would need to swap to straight-bar.

Pretend I linked the video where they talk about how it’s possible to have your main lifts go up even if you aren’t directly training them.

So yes it is possible and it does make sense.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

bomb posted:

Kettlebell swings are a hip hinge exercise and you got better at hip hinging and strengthened your Dead because it's a similar movement pattern. You all probably got better at core bracing via get ups allowing you to transfer more force. It makes plenty of sense, especially if they were weak areas for you.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

MarcusSA posted:

Pretend I linked the video where they talk about how it’s possible to have your main lifts go up even if you aren’t directly training them.

So yes it is possible and it does make sense.

Yea just recently I didnt dl for a almost a full year and just focused on squat and made good gains on it and then when i went back to dl again i worked up to my old pr and pulled it twice when i was planning on not even getting close to that weight that day it was really something

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

ElectricSheep posted:

One of my gym go-to Pandora stations is Carpenter Brut :hfive:

I love this tune from them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhQrFfzFM4

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

That's just one phase of the RP diets, Base I think. It then has different Cut tabs when you stop seeing results on base.
How do you lose less than 1lb/wk eating that?

Is this a trick question like "women use this too" and "people are different shapes and sizes"?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Khorne posted:

How do you lose less than 1lb/wk eating that? Shouldn't a diet be tailored based around height, weight, sex, and other things?

They are based on all those things

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Time posted:

They are based on all those things
I know the serious templates are. RP puts out good content. I'd never pay for it though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bomb posted:

Trap bar deadlifts are easier.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

sassassin posted:

There's a really cool article in MASS volume 2, issue 1 on a study related to this. It looks at the power curve and overall force production.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

sassassin posted:

70 pounds easier?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Dilber posted:

Kettlebell swings are a hip hinge exercise and you got better at hip hinging and strengthened your Dead because it's a similar movement pattern. You all probably got better at core bracing via get ups allowing you to transfer more force. It makes plenty of sense, especially if they were weak areas for you.

Yeah I mean that's what I figured but a 70 pound weight enhancing things that much? I definitely do have a better mind/body connection now and a lot more confidence in my lifts.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

bomb posted:

Yeah I mean that's what I figured but a 70 pound weight enhancing things that much? I definitely do have a better mind/body connection now and a lot more confidence in my lifts.

Research shows that using a trap bar allows for about 6% more weight compared to a regular deadlift bar, and is especially useful for people that had issues breaking from the floor. If you had those issues before, a trap bar would let you lift a lot more.

Furthermore, doing swings and getups probably got you stronger in the musculature of the deadlift that probably was weak before. If you've continued squatting as well, you've probably just increased your strength.

the other comedy options arethat your trap bar dead looks like poo poo and you really shouldn't have gone up that much, or you are miscounting how much the trap bar weighs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I also set a deadlift PR this weekend it was ez

http://imgur.com/a/YLdq0dO

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Dilber posted:

Research shows that using a trap bar allows for about 6% more weight compared to a regular deadlift bar, and is especially useful for people that had issues breaking from the floor. If you had those issues before, a trap bar would let you lift a lot more.

Furthermore, doing swings and getups probably got you stronger in the musculature of the deadlift that probably was weak before. If you've continued squatting as well, you've probably just increased your strength.

the other comedy options arethat your trap bar dead looks like poo poo and you really shouldn't have gone up that much, or you are miscounting how much the trap bar weighs.

I just like how comfy trap bar is, I'll try for my PR straight bar and see how it goes. I stopped doing back squats back when I stopped doing DL, but do heavy kettlebell prying squats every day. My core and postier chain are definitely more functional now then when I was doing Stronglifts last year.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I PR'd sumo straight bar DL this morning, 2repsX365lbs, then 1X365. The older dude I chat with is 2 years out of a knee replacement and was doing trap bar dl at 410lbs plus bar weight and made it look easy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dilber posted:

Yeah I was just going to say that. It’s not exactly easier (well it’s 6% easier I guess) but it lets people do what they couldn’t for a variety of reasons.

If you aren’t ever gonna compete and have hip / lower back issues just use the trap bar.

It’s cool and good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how much of that is due to the much better grip you can get on the bar without loving up your wrists

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I was having lower back issues from poorly programmed conventional deads last summer ("5 lbs per week", no autoregulation) and tried switching to trap bar deads for several months and they irritated my back just as bad as conventional but with baby weights. Then I finally tried sumo late last fall and in like two weeks was right back at my old working weights with minimal discomfort. By that point I was more aware of the relationship between training volume/intensity and pain so I didn't re-injure myself.

I'm back to pulling conventional for the program I'm doing and my back is fine now. I tried trap bar deads again when I was between programs a couple months ago and I sucked hard farts with them. I did trap bar deads 240 lb x 6 on Tuesday, then 315 x 5 with conventional deads on Friday. Straight bar is massively stronger for me. Just goes to show how individual this stuff is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

turd in my singlet posted:

Just goes to show how individual this stuff is.

That’s really what it comes down to. Everyone can make suggestions but it all comes down to the person finding what works for them.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I would love to continue on with trap-bar but my gym plates max out at 45# and 8 plates is the max that will fit on the trap bar they have.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

mobby_6kl posted:

I wonder how much of that is due to the much better grip you can get on the bar without loving up your wrists

It lets you keep weight directly over your feet, rather than out in front to clear your knees, so you should be able to exert more force.

Also, I believe if you use high handles it reduces ROM? I could be wrong about that though.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

I'm in the process of opening a gym / physical therapy clinic with my buddy, and I can't wait to get to test this out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9MlaChls1/?hl=en

It's similar to the eleiko one, but we like the design better.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Dilber posted:

I'm in the process of opening a gym / physical therapy clinic with my buddy, and I can't wait to get to test this out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9MlaChls1/?hl=en

It's similar to the eleiko one, but we like the design better.

That guy is a douchebag

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Say what you want about Chris, but all of his specialty bars have been fantastic.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Is he natty?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

who cares? (also, no)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I don't know anything about this guy and I don't care that he's obviously not natty, all my judgement of him is based on the fact that he filmed himself dressed like a weird yogi set to "Hallelujah" as a way to market a barbell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

That's a big ol gut