Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nerox posted:

AO was released in 2001, not the 90's. :argh:

I still remember getting in the beta and the beta client was on 2 or 3 cd-roms. :v:

how long do you suppose it took them to develop the game, the company that has been putting out an engine upgrade for that game for 12 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

Statutory Ape posted:

how long do you suppose it took them to develop the game, the company that has been putting out an engine upgrade for that game for 12 years

Look at Everquest and Asheron's call's original UI from their 1999 release.

Now look at AO's and DAoC and there are significant advances for 2001 releases.

Then Runescape looks like hot garbage that was released in the 90's that came out in 2001 as well.

But this is a dumb derail. Remember that 2001 was 18 years ago. Anarchy online is old enough to buy cigarettes and lottery tickets.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
What's the population like?

And what's with the level capping? Is it on a set schedule or what?

nerox
May 20, 2001

PriNGLeS posted:

What's the population like?

And what's with the level capping? Is it on a set schedule or what?

The cap was 20 when I started Sunday. I think it goes to 30 tomorrow.

Population has been pretty good, I bet it goes up again when cap raises, I am sure some people stopped after getting their guys to 20 and geared.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Some might be waiting until it's a little higher too. 20 really isnt great in this game imo, but ultimately the slower cap is better for new/less advanced players which is probably better for the game overall.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ahh dang you need a sub to have fun in this fresh new server

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I still listen to the subway theme music. I think I'm gonna get in on this.

E: I always wanted to try bureaucrat but I never knew what was happening with that class.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 16, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

nerox posted:

I still remember getting in the beta and the beta client was on 2 or 3 cd-roms. :v:

Lucky. I had to download that beast.

Still have my Neocron beta CDs though!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whats a good starter class for someone who knows gently caress all about the game and only really played a tiny bit at launch. i remember trying to farm for some crasy strong pistols or something

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MA, fixer, adv

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

MA, fixer, adv

Agreeing and adding on to this with:

Metaphysicist might also be a good starter. It’s a pet class with group utility in the form of a pet that heals and a pet that can calm/mez. You can also build your own implants (nanoprogramming skill is light green I think?), and you have a lot of great buffs.

Martial Artist is def the class that requires the least amount of investment to be good though.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

went with fixer, are most people neutral?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

queeb posted:

neutral is really good for fixer, especially at low level. can always change later if you want to

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

queeb posted:

Most people are sided, but Neutral has its perks and especially for Fixers (the Fixer Grid quest takes you all over the loving map, included deep into areas held by both factions).

The main thing sides give you is tokens to improve a neck-slot item. The item gets really, really powerful over time/tokens, but neutrals do have their own suite of things to put into the neck slot that, while inferior, don't leave them completely absent a slot.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol i like that neutral just stars in some loving junkyard. also i got owned by a eleet, multiple times.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
r u nubi?

the backyards are great.

so far I've got a trader with neleb's belt and rod, an engineer with the second upgrade of the engineer pistol & some junky level 50 or 60 robot, and a fixer. My orgbuddy just looted grid armor mk1

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Man why am I playing this dumb game again? Started a Fixer named Frohike, now have to remember how to play again.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I think I may be done with my nostalgia trip. I played maybe 4 hours since the level cap was raised and went from 20 to 30 and blitzed enough missions to get some decent armor and implants.... and now I have nothing to do except dick around until the cap is raised again.

Get super twinked was fun back in the day, but since there are not high levels getting high level gear to twink into, its just too :effort:.

edit: I wish they would've just made the roll out a 7 week thing with each week going to the next title level:

Title Level 1 = Starts at Level 5, 5k IP per Level
Title Level 2 = Starts at Level 15, 10k IP per Level
Title Level 3 = Starts at Level 50, 20k IP per Level
Title Level 4 = Starts at Level 100, 40k IP per Level
Title Level 5 = Starts at Level 150, 80k IP per Level
Title Level 6 = Starts at Level 190, 150k IP per Level
Title Level 7 = Starts At Level 205, 400k IP per Level

nerox fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 18, 2019

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
Am I the only one that hopes they keep Shadowlands away from the RK2019 server for a long time, or even better not introduce it? To me prime AO was right before SL released. Shadowlands was just a huge departure from the original game and killed it for me and pretty much killed the game. I started playing again and me and my old school friends are having tons of fun. But since they already introduced Notum Wars I'm worried that Shadowlands is around the corner and will kill the fun. I will probably stop playing again when/if Shadowlands is released.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Habibus posted:

Am I the only one that hopes they keep Shadowlands away from the RK2019 server for a long time, or even better not introduce it? To me prime AO was right before SL released. Shadowlands was just a huge departure from the original game and killed it for me and pretty much killed the game. I started playing again and me and my old school friends are having tons of fun. But since they already introduced Notum Wars I'm worried that Shadowlands is around the corner and will kill the fun. I will probably stop playing again when/if Shadowlands is released.

I agree personally but it'll never happen.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Habibus posted:

Ideally I'd go with no shadowlands but yes to perks and keepers

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

please knock Mom! posted:

Ideally I'd go with no shadowlands but yes to perks and keepers

Same.

Also does anyone have a decent org that’s taking new members?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Anarchy Online marks the first time I, a high school student at the time, intentionally and with planning stayed home from school / work in order to play a video game at launch. I have very distinct memories of the starting area and a since unachievable level of excitement playing it that I imagine is similar to what a heroin user feels as they try to recapture the magic of their first time.

Now as a boring adult who wears a tie to work and worries about retirement accounts and spreadsheets most days, I still carry on the tradition of skipping work and social obligations in order to indulge myself on launch days for games I'm interested in a couple times a year. You'll always be my first, AO!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the cap has been set to 45, the game has been opened up in earnest right now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That RK2019 server is a terrible idea to play on

quote:

How long will the server be open?
The current plan is to run the server for 12 months - however, if near the end we see the community wants to keep it going, that is an option we are not taking off the table.

If the server closes, what happens to my character?
If the server does end, characters do not carry over from RK2019 to the original server.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

nerox posted:

I got into the beta and couldn't run it on my pc so I went to a friends house over mardi gras holiday, installed it on his computer (windows millennium) and didn't contact my mom or tell her where I was for a couple days.

Bieeanshee posted:

Still have my Neocron beta CDs though!

Found that one day in an old case.

My best beta story is getting into Asheron's Call Beta 0 by entering a contest on one of those two old MMO sites that compiled information about everything...didn't really even know what AC was, can't even remember the name of the website now..

i am harry fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 25, 2019

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

An mmo being around in a year is like the least compelling reason to play/not play.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I said come in! posted:

idk why people think the server will actually close . the old server is done and gone

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember that was supposed to be Anarchy Online’s major selling point. They would only have 1 server at a time and player decisions would have a real impact on the server but the server would refresh and start everyone over every year or two.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I remember that was supposed to be Anarchy Online’s major selling point. They would only have 1 server at a time and player decisions would have a real impact on the server but the server would refresh and start everyone over every year or two.

No

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

idk why people think the server will actually close . the old server is done and gone

yeah If anything I’d expect Funcom to shutter the entire game first

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

fashionly snort posted:

yeah If anything I’d expect Funcom to shutter the entire game first

i'm amazed funcom is still around, if it wasn't for conan exiles they probably wouldn't be and it's doubtful they'll ever move a game like that again

Habibus
Jan 9, 2005

But I poop from there!
Still having tons of fun playing AO again. My original character on rk1 has over 180 days /played and it's safe to say I'm hooked again. Still apprehensive about Shadowlands coming out for it. I hope they don't do it for a while if they do it at all. But I've noticed lots of quality of life improvements in just the base game from before. Like as an Enforcer I no longer have to waste IP in Time and Space so I can use nano rechargers, and the rechargers you can get now also remove debuffs.
IF Shadowlands is released I will at least give it a try to see if it's better than the last time I played it when it was released. Camping one mob with a 3 hour spawn and hoping you do enough damage to get some reputation from it so you can get more shadow knowledge from hecklers that you hit for the same exact amount of damage every time made for a VERY boring game to me and one of the reasons I loathed anything in SL.

Hell I'm even having fun farming credits for my 24 NT on my 60 Enforcer so that I can get bigger nukes etc. AOEing in the subway is crazy stupid XP right now.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
NT-five

Love that profession

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

It's really such a fun prof

sinewave
Aug 29, 2005

space face
GM made me an absolute unit on the stream today. Come playon RK2019!

sinewave fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 24, 2019

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Is the original server actually dead now (even more than is was before the new server)?

Been leveling an adv on the new server, but want to switch back because I like playing on easy mode and buying credits and lol at $10 for 5m. Also missing the user market.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

ddiddles posted:

Is the original server actually dead now (even more than is was before the new server)?

Been leveling an adv on the new server, but want to switch back because I like playing on easy mode and buying credits and lol at $10 for 5m. Also missing the user market.

You can buy 5 billion for $10.... hope that's what you meant!! Also the token packages and other funcom point items are super value from the chinese farmers. I've always used egpal.com for all my Chinese Gold needs.

I logged on the other day and it was super sparse. Everyone that still plays went to the prog server.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I started playing this dumb stupid game again, on the old server because the progression one is well into shadowlands at this point and I can do a froob multibox for fun.

Anyone from SA still playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I like to pretend I'm gonna start playing again.