Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ehhhhh, I dunno

Do this with the TMP uniforms, though, and we might be talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Legitimately can't tell if I objectively don't like it or if it's because my brain knows it's wrong

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is Saavik in section 31 or something there

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

She's a cadet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

She's a cadet.

She is not. She's a Lieutenant , Junior grade. She's simply undergoing command training with a cadet crew.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

She is not. She's a Lieutenant , Junior grade. She's simply undergoing command training with a cadet crew.

Oh okay. Maybe she wears training colours while she's taking command training or something I dunno.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

No, then she'd be wearing black leather with metal studs.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Ehhhhh, I dunno

Do this with the TMP uniforms, though, and we might be talking.

Quick and dirty:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Quick and dirty:

Hell yeah

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never realized how cool her shoes were

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Holy hell that is a gigantic improvement.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I love that Sulu is always grinning when everyone else is looking serious.

Always comes off that he just loving loves being in space.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Senor Tron posted:

That would honestly have worked perfectly. From a casting perspective though I assume it couldn't have since Geordi didn't start off as chief engineer so it couldn't have been a simple swap.

I just don't understand why someone would cast LeVar Burton, who can be the funniest, most charming guy in the room, and then only take advantage of that two or three times in seven years. Geordi is constantly written like he's one minor annoyance away from chewing out his entire staff for incompetence. At least in the first season he still has shades of genuine awe and wonder, like when he livestreamed his VISOR to the bridge or when Q-Riker gave him his sight back or when he's hamming it up as Watson. By the time he's Chief Engineer, he's all business. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing for the character, but it never seemed to fit Burton.

Maybe it's just because I grew up watching him super excited and enthusiastic on Reading Rainbow. :shrug:

Senor Tron posted:

Quick and dirty:

I don't hate it but I don't love it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why, in the alternate timeline where the federation is at war with the klingons, does nobody turn any lights on in the enterprise

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cheetah7071 posted:

why, in the alternate timeline where the federation is at war with the klingons, does nobody turn any lights on in the enterprise

They're redirecting lighting energy to the phasers and/or shields, of course.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
"Look, it's either the Lights or the Holodeck and I'll let the Klingons win the war before I give up kinky Holodeck sex ensign."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

galagazombie posted:

"Look, it's either the Lights or the Holodeck and I'll let the Klingons win the war before I give up kinky Holodeck sex ensign."

Mods please change my name to Kinky Holodeck Sex Ensign

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

because they have to put all the extra photons into the torpedoes

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bleh.

Senor Tron posted:

Quick and dirty:

:swoon: (except that admiral's uniform... the side panels should be a color that goes better with the command gold)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The yellow doesn't look good on the jacket version, it has this weird, sickly green tone or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing with O'Brien in DS9 is that for all the poo poo he goes through, he genuinely seems to enjoy his actual job.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing with O'Brien in DS9 is that for all the poo poo he goes through, he genuinely seems to enjoy his actual job.

It must be refreshing to actually do something other than wait in a transporter room all day until the bald guy tells you to push a button.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The yellow doesn't look good on the jacket version, it has this weird, sickly green tone or something.

I think this might be more due to the method used to false-color the image. A lot of the times the basic transparency options in Photoshop etc. won't come out with nearly the level of saturation that they need to.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Angry Lobster posted:

It must be refreshing to actually do something other than wait in a transporter room all day until the bald guy tells you to push a button.

The webcomic took it a little too far (obviously, for comedic purposes), but the more I think about it, the more I realize it's basically being a space tollbooth operator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The webcomic took it a little too far (obviously, for comedic purposes), but the more I think about it, the more I realize it's basically being a space tollbooth operator.

Now picturing Papers, Please but in space

You're almost certainly a Cardassian.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I imagine the transporter chief isn't just waiting there all day, he's probably got crew and maintenance schedules to keep on top of, inspections to do, training to run, personnel reviews to write, and all that fun admin stuff.

E: the real question is to whom he reports. Senior Engineering Officer? Operations Officer?

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 26, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't hate it but I don't love it.

Yeah, like... It's poo poo, but it's beautiful unicorn poo poo instead of the grizzly bear diarrhea that is the normal TMP uniform

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did they ever bother explaining why they still had transporter pads and a room when you could just transport from anywhere to anywhere?

Could be to have a specific arrivals point, but you don't need the pads for that.

More stability/safety? The only times transporting visibly failed was in the transporter room, I think.

edit: Union regulations on designating a minimal percentage of beams to the chief?

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 26, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think slightly less saturation / more light in both of those, and it'd be perfect.

cheetah7071 posted:

I, too, recently watched "Yesterday's Enterprise" again for the first time in years. My takeaway was this was kind of like "prestige TV" before that was a thing. The fact that it basically felt like movie-quality due to the lighting and the high stakes and so forth -- that was really unusual. To be honest that also makes it way less mind-blowing now than it was back then, although it's still a very good episode.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In TOS I’m pretty sure you needed to have a transporter pad at one end for transport to work. Site-to-site transport is a TNG-era innovation as far as I recall.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

My thinking is that transporting from one pad to another is more efficient, faster, and less prone to error, with a greater range.

When you beam to or from a random place, your transporter has to do all the work, so more power (real and computational) is required which could reduce range and induce error the further out you go. Transporting between pads means each side shares the load, so you're not converting to and from a matter stream from orbit, you're handling just one side of the task.

Site-to-site is two one-sided transports, so the issues are potentially doubled.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It's also safer and more reliable to use the transporter pads. And sometimes they link the transporter pads together for extra safety.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I think the Treknobabble is that even during a site-to-site transport, the matter stream is still brought back to the transporter room's pattern buffer, it just isn't rematerialized there. Instead it just gets forwarded on to its final destination. It's basically two separate transports, except without having to make an actual materialized layover in Transporter Room Three.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

Quick and dirty:

That looks a million times better than the greys and browns!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Senor Tron posted:

Quick and dirty:

Should have left Kirk’s white, but apart from that, I like this better than the original.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Senor Tron posted:

Quick and dirty:

That is a huge improvement.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Picard News

While the spin-off's plot details are currently being kept under wraps, co-creator Kurtzman has explained that the new show will take a very different, more "psychological" approach compared to Discovery.

"It's going to be a very different show from Discovery," he said, while speaking at PaleyFest LA. "The only way that this universe works correctly is if each show is really different and speaks to a different part of Star Trek. This is going to be a very thoughtful, psychological portrait in a lot of ways."

While admitting that it's important to keep the same qualities of the iconic Jean-Luc Picard, Kurtzman explained that the character will need to go through a personal journey to rediscover himself.

"We all know what Picard means to the world and why he – like so many legendary characters on Star Trek – has endured and what he's represented," said Kurtzman.

"He in some ways has to go through a gauntlet in order to find that. Things have changed for him and changed him in some ways, and yet he is so deeply and fundamentally Picard."

Speaking about his excitement for the new show, Kurtzman added: "We're thrilled at what we're going to deliver. I know Patrick is really excited. The cast is coming together beautifully. And I will give you nothing else."

Meanwhile, Sir Patrick Stewart recently predicted that the spin-off could run for multiple seasons, saying he's set up for "possibly three years" in the new show.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It sounds from the casting breakdown the other week that Picard might be doing some Indiana Jones sort of stuff with a group of... Renegades

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

davidspackage posted:

Did they ever bother explaining why they still had transporter pads and a room when you could just transport from anywhere to anywhere?

Could be to have a specific arrivals point, but you don't need the pads for that.

More stability/safety? The only times transporting visibly failed was in the transporter room, I think.

edit: Union regulations on designating a minimal percentage of beams to the chief?

It's purely for TV storytelling purposes.

• It lets the characters have conversations on the way to/from the transporter room. (This is why they decided not to put a transporter right on the TNG bridge.)
  • It gives the ship a recognizable "doorway" area for characters who are entering or leaving the ship. (Yes, you could just designate any room for that, but a transporter room is a cool-looking set, so why not?)
  • It makes it clear to new or casual viewers that transporting is being done by this big machine that's part of the ship. If the characters made a habit of just saying where they wanted to go, from anywhere to anywhere, and bam, they sparkle and arrive there, viewers might think it's a magical power the characters all have. (This is why they got rid of the teeny tiny hand phasers from the first season or two of TNG. On a crappy TV it looked like they were just shooting the beam out of their hand. The giant dustbuster prop makes it clear they're shooting a ray gun.)
  • When the transporter inevitably breaks in order to up the stakes or tension, the transporter room is the usual place to make that clear, with the transporter chief looking worried and the computer making those "no" beeps. (The transporter pads can even emit sparks or smoke if you need to make it super clear.) And if they need to pull off a technobabble miracle or just a difficult/tense/nick-of-time transport, then the console in the transporter room is the place the characters push those buttons.
  • By giving the transporter a sense of place that's built into the ship, they hope the viewer won't remember that at least some of the shuttlecraft have their own completely independent transporter pad which wouldn't be affected by whatever's knocking the ship around so why can't they use that one to beam them up, and hey wait a minute how did they beam down in the first place without lowering the shields, and wait, didn't they once say that you can't beam while at warp speed, and...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This won't be the Picard show without long pondering silences followed by an accented intake of breath. The whole show needs to take place in a moodily-lit ready room. Picard just takes calls about serious matters, then silently ponders them. Each episode is bookended by sipping Earl grey to a baroque music piece in its entirety which evokes the theme of the episode.

Edit: Also, the word "ramifications" must be used at least once per every five minutes airtime.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 26, 2019