Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Game's back up, everyone dogpile on in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

does this ever go on sale

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Ramadu posted:

Pretty frequently.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ramadu posted:

It's free on Twitch prime

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I'm disappointed but honestly, as long as the game is good, I don't care that much.

Didn't you toxx that it wouldn't be

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veotax posted:

What's a good way to grind mgp? I only have like 76k because I never really paid that much attention to the Gold Saucer.

Do the challenge log. It can be an easy 30-50k a week without much trouble.

Do the mini cackpot every day, it can be pretty easy to get 10k from a ticket.

The jumbo cackpot is an assured 3-4K a week, more if you're lucky.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Nessus posted:

It's free on Twitch prime

yeah thats for a new account though. i have arr and was wondering if stormblood went on sale. i didnt have anything higher than like 30 so idk would it be worth just making a new account

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

What's a good way to grind mgp? I only have like 76k because I never really paid that much attention to the Gold Saucer.
  • Fashion report - participation is 10k + bonus if you have the FC buff or squadron manuals, score over 80 (accidentally or with the help of the guide on reddit) and you get another 50k+
  • daily mini cactpot - it's RNG, use the solver
  • GATEs happen every 20 minutes
  • weekly challenge log - for as much as you can tolerate, I usually did the entries for GATEs, minigames, triple triad, verminion and 3 chocobo races
  • jumbo cactpot - unless they changed that I never got more than a couple hundred from it (yay RNG lottery with dumb rules for rewards)

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 26, 2019

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Yojimbo trial owns.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orcane posted:

• Fashion report - participation is 10k + bonus if you have the FC buff or squadron manuals, score over 80 (accidentally or with the help of the guide on reddit) and you get another 50k+
  • weekly challenge log - for as much as you can tolerate, I usually did the entries for GATEs, minigames, triple triad, verminion and 3 chocobo races
  • jumbo cactpot - unless they changed that I never got more than a couple hundred from it (yay RNG lottery with dumb rules for rewards)

Jumbo is like 1.6 k per losing ticket now.

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

orcane posted:

There's also doing your Wondrous Tales which can net you the 50k mgp token cards.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regarding the 4.56 fight and possible elite pro strats: like, how do you do this, do you have a sword to prioritize? I have gotten to 2/3 and then his meter fills up and I die. This mechanic seems either poorly adapted or I'm bad, but presumably this is intended to be beatable by people in semi-up to date gear...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Man I was hoping that finale would hype me up for Shadowbringers...

I'm hype to go to new areas, but for once it's not because of the story. It's frustrating that the Garleans have extremely evil machinations and plans and we're gonna be busy dicking around in another realm until we hit the point where the game dumps a "oops the garleans gassed everyone while you were gone, sorry they all died warrior of light"

2.5 and 3.5 did much better at setting up a "We're going here because of X things that happened" and for Shadowbringers the plot is literally someone they can't even name yet telling us we have to because it's better, trust him, after he literally gets us executed if not for deus ex estinien

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nessus posted:

Regarding the 4.56 fight and possible elite pro strats: like, how do you do this, do you have a sword to prioritize? I have gotten to 2/3 and then his meter fills up and I die. This mechanic seems either poorly adapted or I'm bad, but presumably this is intended to be beatable by people in semi-up to date gear...

I had no issue doing it on a "barely allowed into EXDR" iLvl BLM - I don't think the sword order matters but I know I did green first.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I went to go look at the crystal tower after the cutscenes and some dude was way ahead of me prepping for ShB, doing pushups in front of the entrance

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Veib posted:

The Yojimbo trial owns.

Look behind you! A giant me!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The new dance is amazing

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
For those stuck at work/etc., the final MSQ reward:

Req lvl 1, each piece can be dyed

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isk posted:

For those stuck at work/etc., the final MSQ reward:

Req lvl 1, each piece can be dyed

oh that is baller

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just beat the MSQs and... eh.

I'm not nearly as hyped as I was going into HW and SB, like at all. I have no idea why the team is being so coy about ShB besides the bare minimum of "we're going to the First for reasons." And crystal dude is being cryptic to the point where this is just dumb as hell, because he almost ends up getting the WoL killed with his bullshit if it weren't for offscreen loving Estinien out of nowhere. Like, just tell the WoL what you want done goddamn. Jesus, what a missed opportunity to have Elezenos come in and save WoL because of THE HUNT, and having Elidibus being confused as hell.

At least the reward is spiffy

also, go talk to Unukalhai once you're done with the last quest and ask him to tell you about himself

MechaX fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 26, 2019

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

MechaX posted:

Just beat the MSQs and... eh.

Jesus, what a missed opportunity to have Elezenos come in and save WoL because of THE HUNT, and having Elidibus being confused as hell.

I'm honestly baffled as to why it wasn't Real Ghost Zenos. Also, why do Elidibus' text boxes say 'Zeno' when we already know it's Elidibus?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It took me way too long to realize that "Ohashi" means "Big Bridge".

isk
Oct 3, 2007

MechaX posted:

also, go talk to Unukalhai once you're done with the last quest and ask him to tell you about himself

Thanks; this is p cool

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The hooded man is almost certainly G'raha

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The MSQ stuff isn't fantastic but the new Hildibrand quests are top notch. Not just the trial, the rest of it too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Why Koji, is that a Locke Lamora reference in this side quest?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh the trial is attached to Hildi? Got some catching up to do then.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

As a new player who just happened upon the first Hildebrand quests the other night, let me just say that they could drop the entire MSQ and replace it with me chasing Inspector Dumbass and his catgirl assistant all over Eorzea and nothing of value would be lost.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Hello I've joined you on in playing this game.

I am now a lvl 18 archer and finally understanding somewhat how things work.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There were a couple of interesting things said at the fanfest in interviews that I think are worth speculating about. The first is their reasoning for adding a 4th tank. Yoshi P said in 2 different interviews that they are adding a 4th tank so they can balance the tanks as 2 mt's and 2 ot's. On paper I hate this decision, even though I doubt it will matter at the level of content I stick to. In the Mr Happy interview he mentioned that pld currently fills the role of OT and pld's don't really have any problems main tanking so probably nothing to worry about.

The other bit of speculation I have is that with all the talk of workflow as it relates to equipment, I think we might be losing scouting and maiming gear. There were a few points where he was asked about equipment and he gave specifically coy answers along the lines of wait until May. Personally, I do really hope this is the case just to have less clutter in drop tables when I am trying to get glamour stuff from the 24 mans and dungeons. I also think it would be fine to stick all the melee dps on the same gear set aesthetically, as there's enough random items out there where you can already play a heavily armored monk or samurai or a cloth wearing dragoon, so maintaining the general aesthetic outside of AF sets it's probably not worth the extra hassle of making those sets.

Also, Yoshi P isn't happy with the current paradigm of big heals and shield heals and so there might be some pretty radical changes coming to the healer jobs.

sources: Day 1 media interview, translated: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b51e3k/tokyo_fan_fest_day_1_media_interview_with_yoship/
Mr Happy Interview in text form: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x30qZohmIc-18urZVcePILzOXdbUt_AnUd8GTvPw4uI/edit

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 26, 2019

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

the maiming sets have higher defense stats, its not just cosmetic, so i doubt theyll get rid of them

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Speaking as someone who is part of the melee dps problem , if they cut scouting/maiming it would honestly be a loving trainwreck because the four dps want moderately different stat setps based on their job. Ninja is the obvious outlier, here, but even DRG wants a kind of different setup then SAM/MNK (who akready chafe a bit having to share a gearset). like, yes, generally all the classes want Crit+DH but cutting the gearsets down isn't going to solve that.

As is, you could neatly solve the problem you're complaining about (clutter in loot tables) with "only gear of the jobs of the current members in your party will drop" which would at least cut down on the numbe of times i see scouting gear when i haven't seen a ninja in a roulette party in like six months.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

johnny park posted:

the maiming sets have higher defense stats, its not just cosmetic, so i doubt theyll get rid of them

Would it really be a problem for other melee dps to have higher defensive stats? (Or dragoons to have less) Could they not just modify stuff in other places to make up for the equalization of defensive stats on gear?

I definitely could see them wanting to make unify role gear. mdps is kinda the only one that's weird right now with maiming/scouting/striking, and NIN using scouting left side and aiming accessories.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Could always pull a WoW, have both strength and dex on the gear but only one is active depending on your class.

Or go completely insane and pull a SWTOR, remove every single stat except for Vitality and replace them with one generic power stat.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

There were a couple of interesting things said at the fanfest in interviews that I think are worth speculating about. The first is their reasoning for adding a 4th tank. Yoshi P said in 2 different interviews that they are adding a 4th tank so they can balance the tanks as 2 mt's and 2 ot's. On paper I hate this decision, even though I doubt it will matter at the level of content I stick to. In the Mr Happy interview he mentioned that pld currently fills the role of OT and pld's don't really have any problems main tanking so probably nothing to worry about.

I don't love that on paper either, but would be fine with the idea of having a pair of absolute brick tanks with lots of group utility and a pair of what are basically DPS with some aggro management and mitigation abilities (basically what DRK and WAR are now). PLD already has a brick toolkit, and can really cheese some fights/mechanics (looking at you o9/Nidhogg - running off with the Akh Morn and then Hallowed Grounding through it breaks some peoples' heads). I would be fine with more unique use cases for those kinds of abilities.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Could always pull a WoW, have both strength and dex on the gear but only one is active depending on your class.

Or go completely insane and pull a SWTOR, remove every single stat except for Vitality and replace them with one generic power stat.

They've already made STR/DEX do absolutely nothing if you're not a job that uses them for attack power, so they wouldn't even need to deactivate one.

As for substats, it doesn't seem like current gear is biased towards the optimal stats for its job much (if at all, I've heard BRDs complaining about all the skill speed), so I'm not sure why consolidating them would change things? You'll have to mix and match between different sets to get BiS just like you do now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I don't think they need to merge melee and ranged gear, but I suppose they'd need to address NIN using Dex. How hard would it be to do something like shift NIN to STR?

You could put NIN on aiming, dunno what other stat differences there are so I might be overlooking something. Alsi that'd probably be a problem for visuals since scouting and aiming have rather different themes? Maybe they reclassify old scouting gear into aiming, and split the visuals into two buckets of BRD & MCH and DNC & NIN?

As for Jobs not sharing preferred stats...well doesn't any non-melee already kinda have to deal with that already? RDM and SMN don't need Spell Speed but BLM loves it. Having 3-4 melee sharing gear wouldn't be much different then 3 casters sharing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Allied beast tribes quest is top notch and you're missing out if you haven't done it yet.

loving Namazu air raid had me laughing my rear end off

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Squish leveling gear together but then make max level gear unique per class imo.

Also part of the reason I initially picked DRG was the aesthetic which just goes away if you make all str classes share gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Allied beast tribes quest is top notch and you're missing out if you haven't done it yet.

loving Namazu air raid had me laughing my rear end off

Three more days til I finish my namazu grind :negative: