Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Not yet, waiting for his statement but his lawyer released a statement that makes it pretty clear the claim he orchestrated the attack was complete bunk

It's pretty awesome that regardless of the result, this was always going to lead to the racists getting a PR win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

yea this will be just like how they still hold Kav up as an innocent, sweet, man beset by the mob of liars and sluts, it doesn't matter what the truth is, the goal was to muddy waters enough so they can cling to this even after it's over.

You can see it in that thread with people crying about the "mountains of evidence" against him and how obviously this is a miscarriage of justice.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Just pick any tweet about his charges getting drop to see chuds mad about an "unfair system"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

You practically need to invoke PEMDAS to parse this but... Yay, I think?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/all-charges-against-empire-actor-jussie-smollett-dropped-n987446

quote:

In a stunning reversal, Chicago prosecutors on Tuesday dropped all charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett just weeks after he was indicted on 16 felony counts for allegedly filing a false police report.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am gonna think Jussie has a pretty decent defamation case, no? If he really didn't do anything wrong he needs to be bankrupting the involved police departments.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Jussie is Loosie

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I feel like drawing any hard conclusions from the charges being dropped at this point is premature

Just like it has been premature at every single step of this thing to pretend that we know what happened

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cr0y posted:

I am gonna think Jussie has a pretty decent defamation case, no? If he really didn't do anything wrong he needs to be bankrupting the involved police departments.

Not to mention getting cut from the last few episodes of the latest season of Empire.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Plea deal?

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

cr0y posted:

Didn't they cut him from the last two episodes of the season of Empire because of this?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

cr0y posted:

Milwaukee PD roughed up one of the Bucks and then lied about it until the video came out.

Nothing happened to them.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Guze posted:

Just pick any tweet about his charges getting drop to see chuds mad about an "unfair system"

Just ate a suspension for telling them to eat poo poo. Thanks, Jack!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Plea deal?

you don't get 16 charges dropped and the case sealed with a plea deal, chicago PD is burying this case under the court house because they either did something or hosed up majorly or both

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cr0y posted:

Depends. It's possible that prosecutorial immunity would apply, I'm not sure. We'd need more facts, like why are the charges being dropped -- is it because evidence was deliberately falsified, or did a key witness recant, or what?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

I feel like drawing any hard conclusions from the charges being dropped at this point is premature

Just like it has been premature at every single step of this thing to pretend that we know what happened

I mean, this is a really unusual thing, you don't often see prosecutors dropping a case they have indictments on unless they're in a situation where they can't ethically bring forth a case they can't prove. There's not really any other context to this stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Party Plane Jones posted:

you don't get 16 charges dropped and the case sealed with a plea deal, chicago PD is burying this case under the court house because they either did something or hosed up majorly or both

its both. they let some dickhead officers "leak" poo poo which hosed them plus their big centerpiece with the cheque was kinda of wet fart.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Party Plane Jones posted:

Also this, you don't plea out 16 charges and a complete expunging of your record. Like, mob witnesses don't get that kinda deal half the time.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Lol, persecute him just enough to establish the narrative then quietly slink away

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Gatts posted:

Plea deal?

No. According to the TMZ report they're claiming "State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him." but also "We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service." edit: I think this is the guy that first ran with the CPD leak? https://twitter.com/RaferWeigel/status/1110563447895408640

It seems like it might be at least a bit related to that time they claimed the check was proof he paid for the crimes and oops it turns out it was just payment for physical training. That and the time they claimed he mailed the letter to himself only for the FBI to step in and say "wait what hold on."

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 26, 2019

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Plea deal?

A plea would mean that he'd still be considered guilty of *something* whereas instead 16 felony charges were dropped here apropos of nothing. Dollars to donuts, CPD did something shady, to nobody's surprise.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

sexpig by night posted:

Also this, you don't plea out 16 charges and a complete expunging of your record. Like, mob witnesses don't get that kinda deal half the time.

Yeah, this is a "the cops did it, or the cops coerced the assailants into implicating Smollet by torturing them". Which is what the majority of Chicagoons or those aware of the CPD's tactics always said was the case.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ESCochrane/status/1110566918107353088

in other good news.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lol, cool day for MAGA

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
D's are probably hoping that the ACA gets struck down before the 2020 election...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TGLT posted:

No. According to the TMZ report they're claiming "State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him." but also "We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service."

It seems like it might be at least a bit related to that time they claimed the check was proof he paid for the crimes and oops it turns out it was just payment for physical training. That and the time they claimed he mailed the letter to himself only for the FBI to step in and say "wait what hold on."

Wait, 16 felony counts results in community service?

That's odd

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Good job CPD, keeping the community safe from actors :fuckoff:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

theflyingorc posted:

On the other hand

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So does Trump now take this case to court?

Court cases within court cases this whole Emergency Declaration is loving legal Inception.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol holy poo poo I turned on Fox hoping to see a stray tear or two but they're literally playing the original charging announcement by the cops and poo poo as if they're desperately trying to will an alternate timeline into creation.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Its absolutely possible (and very likely imo) that Chicago police are both
A)corrupt but also
B) got it right that Jussie was stupid enough to fake a hate crime and hide behind his status as a gay black actor to get a raise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Its absolutely possible (and very likely imo) that Chicago police are both
A)corrupt but also
B) got it right that Jussie was stupid enough to fake a hate crime and hide behind his status as a gay black actor to get a raise.

even the prosecutors seem to be admitting the cops 'pressured' the brothers so I'm pretty sure we don't need to both sides this

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The invisible hand of Adam Smith extends its Middle Finger at the Trump Administration.

The Glumslinger posted:

Good job CPD, keeping the community safe from actors :fuckoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEK0Sbq4o8

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sue the poo poo out of CPD and prevent that horrendously expensive police officer training center from being built on the NW-Side.

loving grind them into dirt.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Those two statements are in no way equivalent. Statement B) is loving absurd dude. How much money would one of your friends have to pay you to get you to violently beat them? How would this help his career? He "hid behind his status as a gay black man"? What status in society do you think gay black men have?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
He's also a bad actor and Empire sucks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So yet another blatant lie whose discovery would be inevitable when they went to build the thing and whoops, no money

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wonder if this fucker will apologize?

https://www.newsweek.com/jussie-smollett-chicago-rahm-emanuel-cnn-don-lemon-1340563

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tir McDohl posted:

It's pretty awesome that regardless of the result, this was always going to lead to the racists getting a PR win.

That's kinda the trend lately. Barr's letter, this, etc.