Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, teens can go through a drug-phase and get over it after a few years and recover and live a good life. 15 year old teen moms, not quite so easy to move past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

HIJK posted:

The wording from your first post makes it sound like your daughter is being forced to get the bc shot. That + the health risks of the shot’s protracted use probably makes it look iffy. And remember, this is the thread where we categorize people like LLJSilk who beats his kids because they resemble his ex wife.

If your daughter is cool with the shot and you’re both cool with the health risks and how they could affect her in the future than there’s nothing to discuss.

When I was discussing bc options with my doctor I didn’t want the shot because I didn’t want the risks and pills were easier but you know, you do you.
I'll discuss it with her and an actual professional when the time comes.

The fact that you guys think I'm going to forcibly sterilize my daughter is ridiculous.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm still at work :mad:

pitiful americans

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don't the major risks show up at higher than typical doses? Like the normal shot every few months presents fewer risks than oral contraceptives under their typical regimes (vascular poo poo mainly)?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Leon Einstein posted:

The fact that you guys think I'm going to forcibly sterilize my daughter is ridiculous.

Right. Obviously that would be a job for her mother and the appropriate religious authority.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
(CA) My 15 year old daughter is pregnant and I don't want anything to do with it.
u/disappointedmom1003

A lot of people wonder "oh what if my kid is a monster or murderer or something" but very few consider"what if my kid is just a regular gently caress up?" Sorry lady, your kid is just kinda dumb. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a regular idiot teen. You rolled the dice and lost.

edit: God drat.

quote:

[–]Inoit

10 points 13 hours ago
You have to treat your daughter the way you’d hope your Grandma would treat your Mom if she were 15, unwed, financially broke and was carrying you.

Sometimes life throws curveballs. Make sure she gets treatment at the free clinics, make sure she has insurance to cover the hospital stay and delivery, etc.

You have to be the adult here. Get yourself into counseling, as well as daughter.

quote:

[–]disappointedmom1003

[S] 13 points 13 hours ago
Funny you say that, but my mom was in that exact situation when she pregnant with me. It would've been wise for her to abort me because she was absolutely not ready. I think I will get counseling. I'm having a hard time dealing with this, and I know my daughter is too.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 26, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Einstein posted:

I'll discuss it with her and an actual professional when the time comes.

"I just said I wanted to give my daughter a shot every three minutes, why are you guys being weird about this?"

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Willfrey posted:

That is bipolar heading right into delusions. Give it time and the auditory hallucinations (Shawn speaking to her) and full blown visuals.

Can you imagine if she was pregnant, what kind of life the kid would have? Yiiiiikes

I'm bipolar myself with delusions etc, and one of my biggest fears is breaking down like that. I've always had that fear, but had sort of gotten over the fear of schizophrenia once I started getting into my 30s with no real delusions or hallucinations for years. Then, not long after I actually diagnosed last year, due to a mostly heavy cycling, not really psychotic, break, a friend had a sudden, frightening, afraid he's going to attack, kill, or rape one of us break. Going from thinking we had all turned on him because he had memories of conversations that didn't happen, to talking about mind control and obsessing over one of the women in the friend group sexually in a couple of months at most. We had to cut ties completely because of it, not just because of the threats, but also since no matter what we did or said, we couldn't get him help while living two hours away, with his wife was in denial and vouching for his sanity.
He's in his mid-thirties, with no previous signs that I know of*. The whole thing got me so stressed about something like that happening to me like that to me, and reintroduced the fear that I'm schizophrenic and it's just waiting, insidiously, to catch me off guard. So I just tell myself that having such classic bipolar symptoms, being self aware in general, and being already taken care of by a psychiatrist means I'm probably bipolar, and won't have another bad episode or break of any kind. Being paranoid about your paranoia is fun tho

*There is a family history of his dad having a drastic personally shift relatively later in life, but that could be a coincidence. Also he got really, really into Star Citizen the summer before all this, but he also was never that brought to begin with

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Killingyouguy! posted:

aren't IUDs intensely painful? jfc just ensure they get a decent sex education and trust your kid, the vast majority of teenagers come out without having gotten themselves/anyone pregnant
It's an individual thing, but in general they aren't supposed to be. There's no problem giving them to nulliparas (that was an old myth), and there are medication options to make it easier, so it shouldn't suck. I haven't had one myself so I have no direct experience, but like everything it's individual

Leon Einstein posted:

Are you a doctor or do you just pretend to be one online?

My daughter is young. There may be a special BC with no side effects by the time she's old enough.
buddy you don't have to be a doctor to be aware that there is more than one birth control option. more than two, even

FAUXTON posted:

Don't the major risks show up at higher than typical doses? Like the normal shot every few months presents fewer risks than oral contraceptives under their typical regimes (vascular poo poo mainly)?
They're different drugs (estrogen+progesterone vs. progesterone only) with different risks and side effects. Estrogen is the one with vascular poo poo, mainly a concern if you have other risk factors, like smoking or getting migraines with aura. The pill (any of the pills, combination or POP) wouldn't be my first choice either though

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Araenna posted:

I'm bipolar myself with delusions etc, and one of my biggest fears is breaking down like that. I've always had that fear, but had sort of gotten over the fear of schizophrenia once I started getting into my 30s with no real delusions or hallucinations for years. Then, not long after I actually diagnosed last year,

That's frightening about your friend, but glad to hear you're managing yourself.

I had a manic phase once where I was awake so long I started hearing poo poo and got really paranoid (especially after getting serotonin syndrome from meds previously), and it was some truly scary poo poo. I've since calmed down about 'I'm just gonna completely lose my poo poo someday and end up like my crazy uncle'. Of course, that was the point that my doctor finally got my DX right.

But knowing what I know from my own experiences, I've been able to get a friend of a friend some help from his family. He'd post these long, rambling rants that sounded exactly like my uncle; they just thought he was on something or into some heavy conspiracy theory stuff. My friend showed me some of his posts and I was like 'gently caress no; call his mom, he's delusional'

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm still at work :mad:

Why would that stop you

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Killingyouguy! posted:

aren't IUDs intensely painful?

Getting it inserted was abysmal but I've had mine for 7ish years and aside from that first day, I've never felt a thing. That said, women's experiences vary wildly.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Midnight Voyager posted:

"I just said I wanted to give my daughter a shot every three minutes, why are you guys being weird about this?"

Yes, this is definitely what I said. :rolleyes:

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
There are massive lawsuits now alleging Mirena causing brain pseudotumors, and alleging Paragard breaking and perforating the uterus.

I think all IUDs are more likely to be spontaneously expelled in younger women.

Research all of your options!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Einstein posted:

Yes, this is definitely what I said. :rolleyes:

Ah, my bad, I misread and you were in fact following the correct schedule for the bone damage shot.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

quote:

Funny you say that, but my mom was in that exact situation when she pregnant with me. It would've been wise for her to abort me because she was absolutely not ready. I think I will get counseling. I'm having a hard time dealing with this, and I know my daughter is too.

/r/relationships: It would’ve been wise for her to abort me

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Xenocides posted:

/r/relationships: It would’ve been wise for her to abort me

This dad is a mess!

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I (30M) married my high school sweet heart(29F), but my Indian parent bailed

quote:

So, I write this today, finally after 6 months because I recognize the emotional pain I am facing. Its not over whelming, however it is affecting me.

Lets back track a bit.

I met my high school girl friend after many years and we hit it off. For back ground, we are both first generation immigrants who moved to North America pretty young. I first met my now wife in 11th grade. We dated and broke up. A typical high school relationship.

I met her again in 2015. We were now weathered older people (:D) . We hit it off almost immediately like friends who were never apart. I told my parents about her, but caste and status seemed to be an issue with them. They never mentioned it directly. But their issue was apparent.

I waited patiently and tried to get them on board with the plan. Finally at the end of 2017, I proposed to her without their support. They immediately proceeded to completely kick me out of their life. We got married in India, with the support of her parents (who had begged my parents for their blessing before hand) at the end of 2018 (My parents, and grand parents didn't show. Some of my uncles and cousins did show) and live a happy life in Toronto.

Now, the issue. I started getting night mares about my parents recently. I wake up in cold sweats in the middle of the night. I wake up swinging punches because i dream of a fight with my dad.

I never had a deep relationship with my parents. I lived away from them in boarding school or university for most of my life. But i never thought I could be disowned by them. I do not regret any of my choices. I do not think I have any closure regarding my parents behavior.

I am not even sure why I am posting this. Maybe I just needed a place to vent and see if i could organize my thoughts. I love my wife, and the life I lead is boss AF. I just want to do her justice and loose the luggage.

Tl;dr: Indian Parents excommunicated me. I think my subconscious mind is loving with me.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Another Bill posted:

Father of the year right here :stare:

Great post/avatar combo.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

I never said I'd force it, you weirdos.

You guys are acting like there's no reason to ever use the shot. I guess you forgot how dumb teenagers can be.

Honestly I think Nexaplanon would be better. It's an implant that goes the the upper arm, is good for two to three years (I forget exactly how long) and if they have any side effects your kid can pop that sucker out with no fuss.

I've had mine for about five years now and it's the best.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

DemoneeHo posted:

You don't know how loving relieved I am that this post ended with "my subconscious is playing tricks on me, I guess, so I should work on my feelings about my parents" rather than "having this dream made me realize that I desperately need to jettison my happy life and grovel to get my lovely parents to un-disown me; where do I get marriage-annulment paperwork only one side has to sign?"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Neophyte posted:

I'm telling you, my "Big Dick Lich" erotic genre is going to be the next Twilight! Don't stifle my dreams!

edit: what a big-dicked snipe!

Use a prophylactery to prevent pregnancy

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

For the love of god talk to your kids. The majority will be just fine and not and up pregnant regardless of what you do (or will and will be smart enough to get an abortion anyway.) Hormonal birth control is risky and not a thing I chose for myself, and your kids might not either. Condoms work just fine and if your kids don't want STDs they'll be using em anyway. Hell, by the time your daughters are in their teens they might have boyfriends on birth control so there's that. They could even get super lucky and get with someone sterile like I did and not need anything at all (woo!)

Teens are stupid but most of them escape their idiot years without babies. Unless they're Mormon, in which case congrats on your 18yo daughter's wedding to a 21yo man and your new grandbaby!

That sucks terribly for that mom. I'd be incredibly pissed that my daughter got pregnant and was dumb enough to gently caress up her life and mine by not getting an abortion. She definitely needs therapy. I can't imagine moving past that easily, and the baby didn't do anything wrong and doesn't deserve the resentment that she's definitely going to have for it.

Mom/new grandma is probably on the hook for everything and is the legal guardian of that baby since the daughter is only 15. I'm not certain (legal goons?) but I'm pretty sure in most cases the grandparent is pretty much forced to take responsibility in situations like this. On the plus side the father's parents should be too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Miserable Maid posted:

Why would that stop you

when you work at mcdonalds only the manager is allowed to drink

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My gf [21F] has some gay friends that make me [23M] jealous.

quote:

So my girlfriend is very good friends with several gay guys, she even shares an apartment with one. It doesn't really bother me besides the fact that she seems to put them as a priority over me. I know that they're gay, but she often posts pictures on her Snapchat, or theirs where they're really up close and touchy. She'll sometimes be kissing them on the cheek even. The other day, her gay roommate posted a snap story of himself in her bed with her laying down on top of him. This poo poo bothers me like crazy. She never posts things including me, which is kind of hurtful because it makes me wonder if she's trying to appear single on her accounts. The thing is, she's always posting pics with her gay besties and apparently, people have thought they were dating because of it. Another thing to add is that she once told me that her roommate was jealous of me when we first started dating because she was starting to spend less time with him. It's just so weird to me, because I know that if roles were reversed, she'd be very upset. Any time I bring it up or try to talk about it, she reminds me that they're gay and that they would never do anything sexual. I get that, but I feel like I'm entitled to some personal intimacy in a relationship. It just feels like I'm just there for the sex. I'm not the closest person in her life and it sucks because I know she describes our relationship to her friends. She's even revealed my dick size to them...

Basically, how do I go about this? It's so mentally exhausting that I've contemplated ending the relationship multiple times. It seems that no matter what I try to say, she never understands why it upsets me, "because they're gay." Am I overreacting? Or am I justified in being upset?

TL;DR: My gf is very close with her gay friends to the point where it makes me feel uncomfortable and underappreciated.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Soysaucebeast posted:

Honestly I think Nexaplanon would be better. It's an implant that goes the the upper arm, is good for two to three years (I forget exactly how long) and if they have any side effects your kid can pop that sucker out with no fuss.

I've had mine for about five years now and it's the best.
I was trying to play it fair but Nexplanon is perfect honestly. Goes in your arm, more effective than sterilization, stops as soon as it comes out, and a good chunk of women don't even have periods. God bless America

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Won’t love my kids if they procreate mom should swap children with wont love my kids if they don’t procreate mom. Get two birds stoned at once

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

DemoneeHo posted:

Needs therapy desperately, luckily as he lives in not the US he might even be able to get it.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

Antivehicular posted:

You don't know how loving relieved I am that this post ended with "my subconscious is playing tricks on me, I guess, so I should work on my feelings about my parents" rather than "having this dream made me realize that I desperately need to jettison my happy life and grovel to get my lovely parents to un-disown me; where do I get marriage-annulment paperwork only one side has to sign?"

They have my blessing :3: Parents were probably sad that they didn't get a meet cute scenario. gently caress'em. At least they have one set, and I'm sure he'll have a good relationship with them.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I really don't get why people think the pill is too complicated for teenagers. I started on it when I was 13 and have missed a total of maybe five days in twenty years. Doing one thing that takes five seconds once a day is really not a tremendous ask.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

JaneError posted:

Getting it inserted was abysmal but I've had mine for 7ish years and aside from that first day, I've never felt a thing. That said, women's experiences vary wildly.

Is yours copper? I ask because I have the hormonal one and that needs to be removed every 4-5 years.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Mushmouth posted:

They have my blessing :3: Parents were probably sad that they didn't get a meet cute scenario. gently caress'em. At least they have one set, and I'm sure he'll have a good relationship with them.

The parents are just really racist hth

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

are condoms not free at every high school??

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nae! posted:

I really don't get why people think the pill is too complicated for teenagers. I started on it when I was 13 and have missed a total of maybe five days in twenty years. Doing one thing that takes five seconds once a day is really not a tremendous ask.

Some parents, like Leon Einstein, just have a very low opinion of their child and don't think they're able to perform even the most basic of tasks without consistently loving it up

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Correct, they are not

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Mushmouth posted:

Parents were probably sad that they didn't get a meet cute scenario.
Uh no, this is India, the parents aren’t obsessed with romcoms and pop culture horseshit so much as seeing their children as extensions of themselves who need to fall in line with the arranged marriages set up for them or be excommunicated from the family forever. This isn’t even rare.

Blade Runner posted:

Classist, but close.

quote:

I told my parents about her, but caste and status seemed to be an issue with them.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 26, 2019

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Blade Runner posted:

Honest question, is this really about racism or is it just about parent's control over their children's lives in Indian culture?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
AITA for gifting my great grandfather's Congressional Medal of Honor to a museum vs. giving it to my cousin?

quote:

Background: my great grandfather was a Colonel in the marines during WWII and Korea and beyond. When he was enlisted in WWII he recieved the Congressional Medal of Honor during the battle of Iwo Jima. Care of the actual medal and most of his stuff has fallen to me.

My younger 2nd cousin (now 12) loves military stuff. When he was younger I allowed him to play with my grandpas flight helmet (grandpa became a fighter pilot between WWII and Korea) and he destroyed it. Part of it was my fault but also certainly my cousin's (his mom) as well because she didn't abide by my terms when I agreed to let him borrow it.

Early last year my 2nd cousin started asking for all of grandpas uniforms and medals. I initially sort of deflected but he got more and more demanding and I was so annoyed I decided I just didn't want to deal with it anymore and I donated everything to my grandpa's hometowns hall of honor. They were thrilled with the donation and are in the process of creating a permanent display featuring the Medal of Honor, his uniforms and flight suits. I figure it's a much better use then all the stuff being in my closet. The display will have a looping video of my grandpa getting the medal from president Truman, his retirement ceremony as well as some family films we had of him. I've seen the designs and it's very befitting everything he did in his life.

Edit: lots of people commenting I did it out of spite, I don't think I did. What the situation did to was spur me into action. Sorry for not making that clear. I'd been thinking for years over what I was going to do with that stuff and this scenario sort of forced me to make a decision.

Edit 2: just to clear up more confusion, 2nd cousin (or cousin once removed I just learned) literally demanded the stuff from me. He’s 12 and his initial email was “I know you didn’t vote for Trump so I like the military more than you. You need to give me Grandpa Fred’s stuff. I am home all weekend. You can bring it over whenever you want. I want the medal and the flag to be separated out because it is most value (sic)”
Family to a person is pissed at me. They think it all should have stayed in the family and that I was a jerk to assume my 2nd cousin woukd have treated the stuff the same at 12 as he did the flight helmet when he was 6.

I honestly don't know, am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Fun fact: My grandpa was a marine on Iwo Jima also. I don't remember his rank offhand but he carried a radio and was partnered up with one of the Navajo codetalkers. My Aunt actually tracked him down about 10-15 years back. AFAIK he and my grandpa didn't really keep in touch but they were legends in each other's households.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Instilling every day habits is hard for a lot of people. Plenty of folks neglect to take even life saving medicine consistently, let alone one whose only evidence of working is something not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Killingyouguy! posted:

Buddy, at my high school they told us that HIV was small enough to slip through the condom molecules or whatever so they didn't work. I think they were trying to promote abstinence but it probably just led to more students raw-dogging it.