Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

ironically, the people who get the most upset about children possibly hearing ~~~~the f-word~~~~ are also the ones who drop terms like "towelhead" or "wetback" or worse in front of their kids all day long

I see you've met my mother and stepfather.

melon cat posted:

Hope this is cool to post up here- I got my hands on the new Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO dashcam and put together a really exhaustive review on it. Low light footage testing, extreme weather test performance included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aquiXi42lkQ

Can I be Taro in the next video? :swoon:

(kidding... mostly)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nitrox posted:

Were you cursing with a child in the car?

Yep, and she agreed with my assessment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

melon cat posted:

Hope this is cool to post up here- I got my hands on the new Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO dashcam and put together a really exhaustive review on it. Low light footage testing, extreme weather test performance included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aquiXi42lkQ

Thanks for this. I've been looking for a good camera for my car. It's Aus$300 here which isn't too bad either.

So, it works in -40°C? Great, now I just need to find out how it handles +40°C.

Well, it would actually need to be more like +70°C, because cars are ovens if you leave them in the sun.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks for this. I've been looking for a good camera for my car. It's Aus$300 here which isn't too bad either.

Well, it would actually need to be more like +70°C, because cars are ovens if you leave them in the sun.
Glad that you found the review video helpful! And yeah the price is really good given the features it comes with. And their head office is in Australia (with North American satellite offices), so you'd be supporting your local Aussies. And according to SG's instructions manual for the SGGCX2PRO its Storage Temp is rated for usage between -40°C to +85°C (and -20°C to +70°C for Operating Temperature). And for what it's worth- I had the previous SG9665GC V2 model, and it survived entire days parked out in commuter train parking lots during Canadian heat alerts, where a car interior can easily reach 65°C by noon.

STR posted:

Can I be Taro in the next video? :swoon:

(kidding... mostly)
Well Taro licks his own butt with his tongue all day, so you can be Taro all you want! You do you, bbe. :3:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 15, 2019

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've had the Viofo A119S for almost 2 years without problem, parked daily in the sun.

the device itself is usually fine, its the lithium batteries some models have that cant handle the heat. anything with super capacitors is fine.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Tesla built in dashcams are proving to be pretty cool
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-dashcam-model-3-instant-karma-video/amp/#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Late to semi trailer chat, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOaqru5ScGI

At least the first guy indicated he was about to try and murder me. I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite :(

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Takes No Damage posted:

At least the first guy indicated he was about to try and murder me. I thought Canadians were supposed to be polite :(

The first event was really a nothing matter but then it just kept going.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Look at these awesome deer playing in the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlD-c4-drc&t=26s

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Look at these awesome deer playing in the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlD-c4-drc&t=26s

That seems a bit hot out for snow on the ground.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oof that's a really low bitrate. Please tell me that's on YouTube's end.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Charles posted:

Oof that's a really low bitrate. Please tell me that's on YouTube's end.
Yep, YouTube. It looks great locally.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Takes No Damage posted:

You need to come commute in Miami.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

You need to come commute in Miami.

I'm working hard enough keeping all the paint on my own car in this city TYVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJEgIu6NHsw

I saw them creeping on the other side of the bushes but still didn't expect the mad bastard to just drive through me like that :mad:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Those are some really loving badly placed hedges.

I can really see the driver look left as you were coming up, look right as you were behind the hedge, and then just go. He could probably still see you behind the hedge but obviously you'd be very obstructed. Also, lol for the other driver not even trying to stop.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's the front of a hotel so the most charitable scenario I can come up with is some clueless lost out-of-towner staring at their GPS trying to work out our freeway system.

But yeah gently caress those hedges. The turn-in to my apartment complex has a row of trees down the median, and since I'm facing them at such a sharp angle when turning left they all merge together into a solid wall of wood. Sometimes I can't even see oncoming headlights until they're close.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Apparently the point of those sorts of view obstructions is to make people slow down and drive more carefully. I contend that they only actually work when they appear to impair visibility, but do not actually do so.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk_pj1nTkJI

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Did he manage to avoid hitting the pickup truck?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Did he manage to avoid hitting the pickup truck?

I think he somehow avoided hitting anything. He straightened out and pulled off at the next exit. The CHP guy right behind me followed him off.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
All things considered I think that went as well as could be expected

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

PT6A posted:

Apparently the point of those sorts of view obstructions is to make people slow down and drive more carefully. I contend that they only actually work when they appear to impair visibility, but do not actually do so.

Also the people driving down the road that the hedges are along don't give a poo poo about traffic coming from the sides, so it's just people in cars pulling out into full speed traffic with their fingers crossed. Lots of them like that in parts of Birmingham, AL, where if you're in a small car you're just plain hosed.

But gosh they look so nice, think of the property values!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Man, gently caress that truck driver. They have no business in the left lane on a dry sunny day, let alone in the snow. And he was clearly following too closely for conditions.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Erwin posted:

Man, gently caress that truck driver. They have no business in the left lane on a dry sunny day, let alone in the snow. And he was clearly following too closely for conditions.

I agree on riding too close, however I suspect he got caught out in the left lane. I've seen that happen before. It did appear he had his hazards on, so he was trying to be smart. Just don't know why he had to ride that close. Unless everyone was being an rear end in a top hat and cutting into that space so was unable to get the distance needed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried the Mobius Max yet? I installed mine yesterday, but haven't had a chance to see how the 2k footage looks yet.

It beeps when the car is off which is weird. Maybe that's the capacitor slowly giving up its juice. The USB port it's plugged into isn't supposed to be powered by the car battery, so who knows.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JuffoWup posted:

I agree on riding too close, however I suspect he got caught out in the left lane. I've seen that happen before. It did appear he had his hazards on, so he was trying to be smart. Just don't know why he had to ride that close. Unless everyone was being an rear end in a top hat and cutting into that space so was unable to get the distance needed.

You can kind of see the plows ahead at one point. He got over in the left lane for some reason when he caught up to the pack that was trailing them and then just sat there. I don't know if he thought he'd be able to get around or something but they were doing the 3 plows across 2 lanes thing and no one was getting by. He definitely had opportunities to get back over in the right lane but never took them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Trucks that don't follow "too close", always have an army of assholes, eager to get into the gap they leave in front. Especially in slow moving traffic

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is there a standout choice in the ~$100 price range or should I just go on Amazon and pick whatever has the design I like best?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I haven't shopped in a while but the general favorites were the A118-C or the Mobius and both were under $100. I have both and prefer the A118

It looks like the A119S is the successor to the 118 and without the GPS (don't get one with GPS) it's $90 on Amazon.

https://dashcamtalk.com/a119/

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I don't know too many models, I'm a Mobius fan but it's got no screen, something some people want. Check Dashcamtalk.com, they have some decent categories. I just checked and the Viofo A119S is ~$120 and considered best all around camera by their criteria.

e;f,b

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Mobius Maxi is now out, although everything seems to ship from China so expect a couple of weeks for shipping. I’m liking mine. Looks pretty slick positioned under my rear view mirror. I think it cost about $80 with the capacitor and my mount, microSD card, and USB cable added another $50.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Ooh, now I want one! Sadly just like the Mobius 2 they flipped the drat mini-USB plug. Since I hardwired mine with a right angle plug I'll need to rewire.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Couple of little ones. The camera distorts it a bit, these were both a lot closer than they look. In both, the front of my car was next to the rear of theirs, if I hadn't braked and in the 2nd case swerved blindly into the next lane we would have hit :argh: Also checking out the quality since getting a bigger mem card and going back to 1080 resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTtSJ6wfNXE

vvv Fair, I try and anticipate stupid and actually had my eye on both those cars, that's how I was able to react as quickly as I did. The 2nd one still surprised me because I was full on halfway up his car's body when he started coming over, that wasn't an instance of not checking his blind spot well enough, that dude just didn't look at all. I always hope people will obey yield and right-of-way laws, but I never expect them to :(

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 26, 2019

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Neither of those other drivers were in the right. However, it's highly likely that cars entering the freeway will want to change lanes and get out of the rightmost lane, and so you could have avoided the problem in the first clip by anticipating that and either slowing down or changing lanes, even before the entering car turned on his turn signal.

In clip number two you drove in the other car's blind spot for awhile and he may not have seen you, and assumed you were someplace else. He should have checked better and have seen you, but you could have also either sped up or slowed down to not be in his blind spot.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 27, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

After recognizing where this happened, I guarantee #2 knew OP was there, they were just hoping Takes No Damage would have lived up to his username so they could hit him with an ambulance chaser (and I wouldn't be surprised if they started brake checking and swerving at TnD when OP tried to pass after). That's just a lovely area in general - to live in, drive in, etc.

I drove that same stretch of road multiple times a day for 2 loving years. Go a little further south to the next interstate and it's essentially a demolition derby once someone gets pissed off.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 27, 2019

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Does anyone have a backup camera recommendation? I just need the camera but most review blogs ive seen are all about the full systems with separate screens and crap.
I've somewhat settled on this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5W3243 I hate the idea of having the camera on the outside though, and I'd much rather have one that's designed to flush mount in the bumper or door

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

STR posted:

After recognizing where this happened, I guarantee #2 knew OP was there, they were just hoping Takes No Damage would have lived up to his username so they could hit him with an ambulance chaser (and I wouldn't be surprised if they started brake checking and swerving at TnD when OP tried to pass after). That's just a lovely area in general - to live in, drive in, etc.

I drove that same stretch of road multiple times a day for 2 loving years. Go a little further south to the next interstate and it's essentially a demolition derby once someone gets pissed off.

You talking about going down to 20? I went eastbound through that area this morning and there was a car on fire in the westbound side. When I came back through there going westbound this evening, I counted six separate accidents in the stretch between 287 and 360 where it was painfully obvious that one car was following too close to the next and just slammed into the front car in the stop and go traffic.

I'm so glad that I work nights. I go against the flow of traffic during the evening rush hour and then there's barely any traffic when it's time to go home.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Craptacular posted:

In clip number two you drove in the other car's blind spot for awhile and he may not have seen you, and assumed you were someplace else. He should have checked better and have seen you, but you could have also either sped up or slowed down to not be in his blind spot.

I loving hate when people hang out there. Just loving pass or don't, I don't care, but don't hang out exactly where I can't see you easily.
Yeah, I might be at fault, but avoiding an accident is everyone's responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tex Avery posted:

You talking about going down to 20? I went eastbound through that area this morning and there was a car on fire in the westbound side. When I came back through there going westbound this evening, I counted six separate accidents in the stretch between 287 and 360 where it was painfully obvious that one car was following too close to the next and just slammed into the front car in the stop and go traffic.

I'm so glad that I work nights. I go against the flow of traffic during the evening rush hour and then there's barely any traffic when it's time to go home.

Yup, just didn't know if you wanted me to out the highway you were on. :v: I've been hit once by someone not checking their mirrors on that same stretch of 30 (pretty much right at the Beckley sign you drove under IIRC), and their insurance kept insisting that I merged into them (from what, the shoulder? I was in the right lane when they cut across 2 lanes trying to make an exit - my insurance finally got them to agree to accept responsibility after almost a year), and I've seen so many loving road ragers through that area.

I was usually driving against rush hour too (usually worked 4pm-11pm in Dallas, but lived almost in Rockwall), but 30 is still hosed no matter what direction you're going, especially around downtown. I particularly do not miss the zipper HOV lane; that was probably a great idea on paper in the 80s, but in practice it just fucks traffic even more when everyone's trying to dodge the zipper truck (whatever the gently caress it's really called).

20 between 35 and 635 just needs to be nuked from orbit. But I say the same thing about 35 now that I'm in Austin - everything between Oltorf and Airport on 35 is hosed. And during rush hour, 35 is just hosed completely all the way from Kyle to Georgetown.

Somehow Austin also has both a 183 and 360... and they both intersect, just like in DFW - but they're different types of highways. But now that I'm used to the Austin version of those highways, I'd probably be completely lost if I tried to drive on them in DFW again, even though I've driven tens of thousands of miles on the DFW versions.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 28, 2019