Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brawnfire posted:

This won't be the Picard show without long pondering silences followed by an accented intake of breath. The whole show needs to take place in a moodily-lit ready room. Picard just takes calls about serious matters, then silently ponders them. Each episode is bookended by sipping Earl grey to a baroque music piece in its entirety which evokes the theme of the episode.

Edit: Also, the word "ramifications" must be used at least once per every five minutes airtime.

Would pay $10 a month for this, are you listening CBS????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I really want Soran to appear in this show, and I don’t care if that doesn’t make sense.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 26, 2019

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just loving remake Generations but better

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

skasion posted:

I really want Soren to appear in this show, and I don’t care if that doesn’t make sense.

Just make him appear like Liam Neeson in Batman 3

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Red Angel is future Shatner Kirk

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Red Angel is future Shatner Kirk

The suit is very slimming.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

skasion posted:

The suit is very slimming.

Bigger on the inside.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

e: wrong thread

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 26, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

I really want Soren to appear in this show, and I don’t care if that doesn’t make sense.

I can never remember which one is Soren and which one is Soran without looking it up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

I can never remember which one is Soren and which one is Soran without looking it up.

Use this simple mnemonic:

A is for androgynous
and
E is for erroneous

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now picturing Papers, Please but in space

Return of the Obra Dinn, but in space.

It could happen on any of the doomed ships the Enterprise had to deal with every few weeks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I did think the way Mama Burnham fell out of the suit was pretty cool. It was less like she exited it like an Iron Man suit and more like she kind of phased through/out of it.

Also I can't believe they got Kima from The Wire :dance:

Thanks for the absolutely enormous spoiler I guess.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

Did they ever bother explaining why they still had transporter pads and a room when you could just transport from anywhere to anywhere?

Could be to have a specific arrivals point, but you don't need the pads for that.

More stability/safety? The only times transporting visibly failed was in the transporter room, I think.

edit: Union regulations on designating a minimal percentage of beams to the chief?

My take is that when Riker says, Computer, four to beam up, that's only permitted when it's explicitly safe; the Enterprise is in orbit, there's a safe route to the ship, there's nothing that could cause Unforeseen Circumstances to happen, etc. Any other time, like in a firefight or some other emergency, the computer can't be trusted to get a lock; so it's up to the transporter technician to take over and determine which blobs are Riker and co and which are the bad guys. Same reason they still have crew members at the helm, basically - even in the 24th century computers are smart but stupid, so there has to be someone literally above it all keeping an eye and ready to raise the alarm if something goes wrong.

As for the transporter room:

That part we rarely see, to the right of the pads, contains a whole bunch of equipment lockers and an industrial replicator. So, when Riker arranges an away team, he notifies the transporter tech so they can have tools, equipment, clothing etc. waiting and ready to go.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Taear posted:

Thanks for the absolutely enormous spoiler I guess.

Sorry, I've got both ST threads bookmarked and I mixed em up

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Bloop posted:

Use this simple mnemonic:

A is for androgynous
and
E is for erroneous

Malcolm McDowell can be called many things but I don't think androgynous is one of them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Huh, I’ve been spelling his name wrong since the 90s I guess

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McNally posted:

Malcolm McDowell can be called many things but I don't think androgynous is one of them.

you might almost say that characterization is... erroneous..................

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Looks like we need a new mnemonic.

E for "Rick Berman went 'Eeew' when people pushed for a male actor" and A for "Admiral Tolwyn," I guess.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

spincube posted:

That part we rarely see, to the right of the pads, contains a whole bunch of equipment lockers and an industrial replicator. So, when Riker arranges an away team, he notifies the transporter tech so they can have tools, equipment, clothing etc. waiting and ready to go.

Shame they rarely showed that. Such a huge set.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

spincube posted:

My take is that when Riker says, Computer, four to beam up, that's only permitted when it's explicitly safe; the Enterprise is in orbit, there's a safe route to the ship, there's nothing that could cause Unforeseen Circumstances to happen, etc. Any other time, like in a firefight or some other emergency, the computer can't be trusted to get a lock; so it's up to the transporter technician to take over and determine which blobs are Riker and co and which are the bad guys. Same reason they still have crew members at the helm, basically - even in the 24th century computers are smart but stupid, so there has to be someone literally above it all keeping an eye and ready to raise the alarm if something goes wrong.

Man that pic really highlights how dimly lit the TNG transporter room was (which I like, don't get me wrong).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm really surprised how good this is. I like the blues.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't understand why the pre-Kelvin movies seem so insistent making the uniforms more boring than their tv counterparts. Those photoshops really highlight how much better they'd look with the right colors.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TMP, TWOK and First Contact are all obsessed (in very different ways) with making poo poo look serious and a big deal compared to the source material, and their respective uniform designs are part of how they do that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJrrCF73r5s

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

skasion posted:

Should have left Kirk’s white, but apart from that, I like this better than the original.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I still wonder how in the world the people working on that movie thought those giant-belt-buckles-without-belts would ever look good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In the future they don't need money. Or pockets. Or belts.

That is actually much better. The Admiral's uniform was the only good one of the bunch. Shatner would have dug that too because it would have made him stand out even more.

Though was Chekov the Security Chief or just the Weapons Officer? If he was the former, he should have the red shirt. And actually come to think of it, Decker should have been Command Gold, as he was technically the Captain.

skasion posted:

I really want Soran to appear in this show, and I don’t care if that doesn’t make sense.

First episode--he drops a bridge on Pine-Kirk and Stewart says "Well, enough of THAT!"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Astroman posted:

That is actually much better. The Admiral's uniform was the only good one of the bunch. Shatner would have dug that too because it would have made him stand out even more.

Though was Chekov the Security Chief or just the Weapons Officer? If he was the former, he should have the red shirt. And actually come to think of it, Decker should have been Command Gold, as he was technically the Captain.

I didn't put that much thought into it, just copied the colours off that other version and gave Decker Blue so he has different to Sulu.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Roadie posted:

I still wonder how in the world the people working on that movie thought those giant-belt-buckles-without-belts would ever look good.

The problem with them is the length of the shirt. If they were tucked in, I don't think the buckle things would be as odd.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sash! posted:

The problem with them is the length of the shirt. If they were tucked in, I don't think the buckle things would be as odd.

Yeah, a big problem (aside from the color scheme) with the TMP uniforms is how shapeless they look. It’s like the whole cast decided to wear casual baseball raglans to work. Even the short-sleeve version Kirk wears, while still not great, is a huge improvement over the others. They’re the closest that Star Trek unis have ever been to actual pajamas.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The giant buckle is where they store all their beef jerky.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I've been rewatching sporadically since my gf decided to go through all the series in sequence (for TNG it was funny to see what I remembered from watching original runs with mom as a kid) and after rewatching Civil Defense and a few other standouts early in DS9 that I hadn't actually seen as a kid, I'm actually still mildly amazed that they needed to go as hard as Waltz to make the point that the "Dukat did nothing wrong" crowd was fanboying over alien Rudolf Hoess.

Also re uniform talk: The TMP uniforms were also like infamously bad even for Trek's history of hellish uniforms (although probably not as horrendous as Jeri Ryan's catsuit), like really awkward onesies that took crew help to even use the toilet in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time so I'm not sure anything, not even restoring the department colors on them, would rescue them.

Also color-coded versions of the Horatio Hornblower-in-space uniform jackets would have owned, that photoshop sells it well .

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 27, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The TMP uniforms are poo poo, give me the WoK ones any day

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

WoK uniforms are extremely good. The lovely Enterprise-C/Jack Crusher versions of them are extremely bad, though. Losing the collar and the belt just removes all sense of coherence with the rest of the getup, and substituting the badass art deco uniform insignia for the TNG commbadge is just as bad.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 27, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

WoK uniforms are extremely good. The lovely Enterprise-C/Jack Crusher versions of them are extremely bad, though. Losing the collar and the belt just removes all sense of coherence with the rest of the getup, and substituting the badass art deco uniform insignia for the TNG commbadge is just as bad.
Yes although that takes place decades later in the timeline so it isn’t as odd that there are some differences

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The TWOK uniforms look like poo poo. No one looks good in them (granted by TWOK no one really looks good anyway, but even Kirstie Alley is let down by hers) and the collars are atrocious. Changing the colors back to TOS is a decent idea but it doesn’t fix them being an ugly design.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bones needs more man-cleavage and a field medical kit conveniently designed to be carried in big gold medallions around the neck.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The TWOK uniforms are very good and their collars are extremely good BUT they should not have been regular duty uniforms

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'll admit that the WoK uniforms, despite being extremely good, have a major weakness: they look like poo poo when paired with the red collar/shoulder strap that Saavik was wearing in WoK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Bloop posted:

The TWOK uniforms are very good and their collars are extremely good BUT they should not have been regular duty uniforms

Absolutely. They're far too formal and stiff, they're pretty obviously a dress or at least garrison uniform. I could see Kirk wearing this stuff while teaching at the academy, for instance, but once they hit the stars they should have had something more functional and easy to deal with.