Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Let's lighten up the thread a bit after the story arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

And walking into Mr. I Have Candy's panel dimension seems no better to me. I know it will work out because that's not how this game works and Squeenix never gives you a choice to go 'This is a bad idea, I'm not doing this' when the plot says you will go along with it even when it is indeed a bad idea and you just made everything worse.

This exists in literally 0 games. This is literally impossible. Your biggest complaint about the plot is that you don't have infinite control over it, because there will always be some decision the narrative will take you disagree with.

SL the Pyro posted:

The warrior of light/darkness we need.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SL the Pyro posted:

Become what you must, yes, yes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SL the Pyro posted:

I kind of wonder why the Beast Tribes sell costumes of themselves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This exists in literally 0 games. This is literally impossible. Your biggest complaint about the plot is that you don't have infinite control over it, because there will always be some decision the narrative will take you disagree with.

No, my biggest complaint is that I think it was written poorly and doesn't explain or justify this turn in the narrative well. My issue's not that it happened, it's that I don't think the characters' reasons were given a good justification.

Other posters here were right about why it happens this way, I suppose, and I'll leave it at that.

Stormblood's kind of odd, to me, with how uneven it's been. 4.1 was one of my favorite patch stories in this game.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kind of wonder why the Beast Tribes sell costumes of themselves.

They've seen the warriors of light's incredibly stupid outfits, and realize that silly clothes are the best carrot to offer to enlist their murder hobo services.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
lol. I was reading that back and forth before I realized it was loving Cythereal making the argument. Aka the only person in this thread you should ignore more than me.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Mordiceius posted:

lol. I was reading that back and forth before I realized it was loving Cythereal making the argument. Aka the only person in this thread you should ignore more than me.

dont sell yourself short man

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
To be honest with this MSQ discussion, this entire conversation shouldn't be framed around why the WoL is listening to the dude, but rather why Mr. Gates himself isn't being even halfway upfront about this to the WoL. Like, before fighting Zenos, he calls the WoL of like and is like "WHY WON'T YOU THROW WIDE THE GATES," without for a second even contemplating that the WoL has no loving clue what you're talking about or what you want. Obviously he needs the Scions and the WoL for something far more important than stopping an Imperial invasion on the Source. And when he does manage to summon WoL for a face to face conversation, albeit at a point where the WoL was a second away from getting murdered and making all of this exactly pointless, he's just like "oh you need to go to the first. your friends might be there. go find this thing at crystal tower, bye." and guess what, goddamn Crystal Tower's front door is still locked and no one knows what the gently caress Mr. Gates is talking about.

At this point, Mr. Catboy crystal man is actively sabotaging his plan for no real reason.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Become what you must, yes, yes.

Shadowbringers thread title imo

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Gates man is going to feel really silly when he realizes it's a pull gate and not a push gate

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Cythereal posted:

No, my biggest complaint is that I think it was written poorly and doesn't explain or justify this turn in the narrative well. My issue's not that it happened, it's that I don't think the characters' reasons were given a good justification.

Other posters here were right about why it happens this way, I suppose, and I'll leave it at that.

Stormblood's kind of odd, to me, with how uneven it's been. 4.1 was one of my favorite patch stories in this game.

youre right and it is poorly written. i dont think anyone is asking for total control over the plot in an on-rails mmo but the way the characters are behaving in this situation doesnt make a lot of sense, to me at least. and i dont think its fair to just hand wave criticism of the writing by saying its just a mmo, what do you expect, when the game sells itself on its story just as much as its gameplay. the plot isnt ruined or anything but i think there were some simple changes they could have made to make some of the characters decisions more reasonable/believable and ramp up the dramatic tension

does it really matter? no. but for ppl who like to talk about the lore and story it's nice to not strain the suspension of disbelief with seemingly irrational chains of events

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MechaX posted:

To be honest with this MSQ discussion, this entire conversation shouldn't be framed around why the WoL is listening to the dude, but rather why Mr. Gates himself isn't being even halfway upfront about this to the WoL. Like, before fighting Zenos, he calls the WoL of like and is like "WHY WON'T YOU THROW WIDE THE GATES," without for a second even contemplating that the WoL has no loving clue what you're talking about or what you want. Obviously he needs the Scions and the WoL for something far more important than stopping an Imperial invasion on the Source. And when he does manage to summon WoL for a face to face conversation, albeit at a point where the WoL was a second away from getting murdered and making all of this exactly pointless, he's just like "oh you need to go to the first. your friends might be there. go find this thing at crystal tower, bye." and guess what, goddamn Crystal Tower's front door is still locked and no one knows what the gently caress Mr. Gates is talking about.

At this point, Mr. Catboy crystal man is actively sabotaging his plan for no real reason.

This to me is one of the bigger things against the idea that the voice is G'raha Tia. If it is him, why does he just say "YO! IT'S YOUR BOY!" He's acting like a stranger, not someone that is familiar to us. Yes, yes, I know the datamined appearance and what not line up with him, but until he throws of his hood and says "Yo. It's your boy!" I still am not going to believe it is G'raha. If it really is him, then him attempting to be a mysterious stranger is dumb af and makes literally zero sense.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

and whoever making the argument that 'well what choice does the WoL have considering the situation they are in' is right and what the WoL is doing isnt necessarily irrational but the conversation happening in this thread about who this guy is and why he's doing what he's doing etc etc never happens in-game and so the characters, like cythereal said, really have poor in-game justification for the choices they make even if we, the players, can rationally justify them here

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

This to me is one of the bigger things against the idea that the voice is G'raha Tia. If it is him, why does he just say "YO! IT'S YOUR BOY!" He's acting like a stranger, not someone that is familiar to us. Yes, yes, I know the datamined appearance and what not line up with him, but until he throws of his hood and says "Yo. It's your boy!" I still am not going to believe it is G'raha. If it really is him, then him attempting to be a mysterious stranger is dumb af and makes literally zero sense.

yeah this too

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

johnny park posted:

the characters, like cythereal said, really have poor in-game justification for the choices they make

There's a dude that can make you unconscious at will and is actively during it in the middle of fights where you could die.

Track him down and shove everything in the room you find him in up his rear end and throw him in the sea.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
known male miqote count who have 1. unique faces 2. unique tattoos 3. control of the crystal tower: 2

could it be possible... they are the same person...??

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MechaX posted:

Look, are you gonna throw wide the gates or am I gonna have to keep calling this number? :colbert:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mulva posted:

There's a dude that can make you unconscious at will and is actively during it in the middle of fights where you could die.

Track him down and shove everything in the room you find him in up his rear end and throw him in the sea.

it's not presented this way in-game. the WoL is apparently taking everything he says at face value. again, i understand that we can make the WoL's choices make sense in this thread, but within the confines of the game world they don't make sense. we can only assume the WoL is thinking what we are thinking

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So does this mean that Yojimbo is the final boss of the expansion?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

MechaX posted:

This is true of basically every male catgirl NPC in the game though? It might be a racial feature.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

johnny park posted:

it's not presented this way in-game. the WoL is apparently taking everything he says at face value. again, i understand that we can make the WoL's choices make sense in this thread, but within the confines of the game world they don't make sense. we can only assume the WoL is thinking what we are thinking

The only part of the game that ever gets into what the WoL is thinking are the Dark Knight quests, and beyond that motivation is irrelevant here. Dropping everything to track this person down is the right move on every conceivable level. If he's telling the truth or if he isn't, he is the number one issue facing you.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
i dont think we've had enough experience with the Enigmatic Figure to say one way or another how the canon WoL feels about him or what his motivations for being so Enigmatic are. although i will say when i chose like the "you need to put me back!" option, the animation was angry when i expected it to be more panicked or something

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mulva posted:

The only part of the game that ever gets into what the WoL is thinking are the Dark Knight quests, and beyond that motivation is irrelevant here. Dropping everything to track this person down is the right move on every conceivable level. If he's telling the truth or if he isn't, he is the number one issue facing you.

and all it would take is one dialogue scene in-game where the WoL says 'this guy is a threat for as long as he's able to do this to me' and we're fine, but that isn't how it's presented

the fact that we can explain it here in this thread doesn't make it good storytelling

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

i dont think we've had enough experience with the Enigmatic Figure to say one way or another how the canon WoL feels about him or what his motivations for being so Enigmatic are. although i will say when i chose like the "you need to put me back!" option, the animation was angry when i expected it to be more panicked or something

I'd be angry, too, if I had to deal with an annoying telemarketer that nearly got me killed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Our first interaction with the guy when we meet up with him in Shadowbringers should be to punch him in the face and demand he return our friends.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Our first interaction with the guy when we meet up with him in Shadowbringers should be to punch him in the face and demand he return our friends.

Sadly it'll just be listening to his plea, nodding, and maybe punching our palm at the end

I'll be glad to be surprised, but so far I have not been

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Personally, I really enjoyed this leg of the MSQ.

One of the best things to me about this expansion has been going the extra mile to make my character feel like part of this world. Not just Main Character of An MMO. But a person with a name and friends and personality traits. It was fun reading dialogue boxes of Hien, Yugiri, and Lyse banter about me. And the shot for my character's arrival?

I was excited. Really excited. I don't think Estinien's appearance was any kind of deus ex. 4.0 established he watches out for us and keeps distance cause he's an edgelord. It's a callback. If he had shown up, I would've been waiting on him instead of pleasantly surprised. I dunno, this patch has me super excited to see the next expansion.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Minrad posted:

known male miqote count who have 1. unique faces 2. unique tattoos 3. control of the crystal tower: 2

could it be possible... they are the same person...??

Then why is he not announcing himself when he's speaking directly to your brain?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Then why is he not announcing himself when he's speaking directly to your brain?

because the whole thing is badly written

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Or maybe there's a reason he isn't that hasn't been revealed yet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dancer is DPS

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

ImpAtom posted:

now thats just absurd

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Not in-universe.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how we're going to get Gunbreaker if the next expac isn't the "March on Garlemald" expac.

Maybe it'll be some guy coming up with an Eorzean fighting style using Garlean technology?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

jalapeno_dude posted:

Also, have they just forgotten about F'lhaminn being part of the Scions? She's hung out on the top floor of Rowena's place for like a full expansion now and hasn't even bothered to show up in the moments where everyone else gets together.

She's more of a dancer than a fighter, and definitely not the fighting kind of dancer. And she hasn't even done any dancing in arleast five years. She tragically lost her love to a ridiculous unsolved murder, which is the basis for ALC 60-70, and since 2.55 she hasn't seen Minfilia, her adopted daughter. Then she gets the whammy that she's alive but will potentially never be seen again. From a mental standpoint, I'd expect her to just not want to be involved in anything where she could expect heartache.

Given what we have seen in the trailer and the fact we will be able to travel between shards, I imagine F'lhaminn will play a role again, eventually. To be honest though, she was never really very important to the main story of 2.0 and beyond.

Minrad posted:

We don't really have a choice. He's holding the scions hostage and he's effectively holding our life hostage. So until we do whatever he wants and go there and meet him, he can just pop in and try to get us killed while we do our thing. And since we're effectively a liability in this state, the alliance is telling us "yeah, nah, go take a break and fix your poo poo, don't worry about us"

If we don't have an option to get extremely indignant when we meet him in person, I'm gonna be pretty angry at the start of Shadowbringers.

I appreciated being given the choice to say, "send me back right now!" When he's being so incredibly vague, it's irritating. From the trailer, it appears as though he can monitor us and our actions. If that's the case, he should have more sense than to call us right as we're fighting potentially the biggest threat out there. If not for Estinien acting as a deus ex machina, we'd be dead. Because Masked Man is too much of a jerk to have any kind of presence. Even if he can't see what we're doing yet, he's throwing caution to the wind by being so wishy-washy with his dialogue. Yes, it's to be coy about the expansion, but from the perspective of the game, it's done very poorly.

A lot of this could be followed up in the expansion, but as it is right now, it's irritating.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
We're getting a GunBreaker because people like them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Not in-universe.

I mean just off the top of my head there could be extreme limitations or rules on what exactly he's doing. It could be some benevolent version of an Ascian possessing the dude. The weird crystal growths on his skin could be some kind of in-character limitation and if he speaks too much they start to grow so he's limited in what exactly he can do. Some of that is obviously a case of "the writers want an excuse for the dude to be mysterious" but it feels a bit early to go "actually there was no reason at all because everything is terrible."

The Grimace posted:

I appreciated being given the choice to say, "send me back right now!" When he's being so incredibly vague, it's irritating. From the trailer, it appears as though he can monitor us and our actions. If that's the case, he should have more sense than to call us right as we're fighting potentially the biggest threat out there. If not for Estinien acting as a deus ex machina, we'd be dead. Because Masked Man is too much of a jerk to have any kind of presence. Even if he can't see what we're doing yet, he's throwing caution to the wind by being so wishy-washy with his dialogue. Yes, it's to be coy about the expansion, but from the perspective of the game, it's done very poorly.

To be honest I kinda assumed that was the reason he called us then. He had some idea someone would watch out for us but if we decided to go all-in on Zenos and won it might have caused the Flood of Light. I mean Zenos in the fight is even like "How have you mastered your gift this much" so we'd clearly caught him off guard with our power. The fact he got back up doesn't mean we couldn't put him back down for good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Lot of whiny goons itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
My spicy hot take: Obviously blindly trusting the mystery man is not a great idea, but sometimes you get stuck having to choose between a couple crappy plans and just gotta go with the one that seems the least crap. It seems sensible enough to me.