Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Scathach posted:

I like how the mom is all "But I've been having her watch Teen Mom why isn't that helping???"

Like holy gently caress lady maybe the reason she's making the stupid decision to keep the pregnancy is because your idiocy rubbed off on her. Watching shows about how kids get famous and loved by popping out an underage baby may not be the answer.

Take it with a grain of salt but supposedly Teen Mom and 16 & Pregnant actually helped lower teen pregnancy rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

honestly? i dont really know. i can certainly see the similarities between the two situations w/r/t bodily autonomy, but i havent thought enough about the intersection of drugs, refusing rehab, and being a minor to form a well thought out opinion. there was a post on legal advice this morning that had me thinking along the same lines of when it could be acceptable to take someones choices about their body away from them- a guy who was told he has a very treatable cancer, but has wanted to die for decades and so is choosing not to treat it. his family is attempting to legally force him to be treated by claiming he is not in his right mind to refuse. personally i think the right to decide when you die is pretty fundamental, and i guess it would follow that so is the right to gently caress up your life, if you dont harm others in doing so? but really i dont know. its a pretty complex ethical question

in what way would someone refusing to deal with a drug addiction with the expectation their family members would just handle all negative consequences of that for them (or, for that matter, dumping an unwanted baby in their lap) not be harming others

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

honestly? i dont really know. i can certainly see the similarities between the two situations w/r/t bodily autonomy, but i havent thought enough about the intersection of drugs, refusing rehab, and being a minor to form a well thought out opinion. there was a post on legal advice this morning that had me thinking along the same lines of when it could be acceptable to take someones choices about their body away from them- a guy who was told he has a very treatable cancer, but has wanted to die for decades and so is choosing not to treat it. his family is attempting to legally force him to be treated by claiming he is not in his right mind to refuse. personally i think the right to decide when you die is pretty fundamental, and i guess it would follow that so is the right to gently caress up your life, if you dont harm others in doing so? but really i dont know. its a pretty complex ethical question

Well there's also the further complication that this is, obviously, a literal child, like she's a few years out from not having the bodily autonomy to refuse eating brussel sprouts

I don't believe that it's fair to say that a fifteen year old has the right to gently caress up their life when their brain isn't nearly fully formed, but I'm also not sure what you could actually do here that isn't horrifying in terms of stripping away her agency and just forcefully adopting out the baby like a Lifetime movie

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Scathach posted:

I like how the mom is all "But I've been having her watch Teen Mom why isn't that helping???"

Like holy gently caress lady maybe the reason she's making the stupid decision to keep the pregnancy is because your idiocy rubbed off on her. Watching shows about how kids get famous and loved by popping out an underage baby may not be the answer.

Way to be high and mighty about something you're objectively wrong about. Teen Mom actually did lower teen pregnancies.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2014/01/13/health/16-pregnant-teens-childbirth/index.html

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there's also not much comparison between someone who's wanted to die for literally years and someone who's just going through a severe depressive state that'll be gone tomorrow. It would be absolutely insane to suggest doing anything to prevent anybody who's ever experienced suicidal ideation from acting on it would be interfering with their rights. Rightly or wrongly, we've sort of socially agreed that the state of being a teenage dumbass is a lot closer to being temporarily insane than it is to acting on well-thought-out convictions after having objectively considered the matter, and that this should materially impact their freedom to make decisions from whether to join the Army to what clothes they should wear. "Should babies be allowed to have babies" is probably the last place to start on reevaluating that position.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Somehow I doubt watching that show has done anything for already (possibly purposely) pregnant teens. All the articles say it helped prevent pregnancy, not fix already pregnant teens.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 26, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Scathach posted:

Somehow I doubt watching that show has done anything for already (possibly purposely) pregnant teens. All the articles say it helped prevent pregnancy, not fix already pregnant teens.

Way to move the goalposts. Nobody said the show was an abortifacient. The point is that the show doesn't glamorize it.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 26, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Blade Runner posted:

Well there's also the further complication that this is, obviously, a literal child, like she's a few years out from not having the bodily autonomy to refuse eating brussel sprouts

I don't believe that it's fair to say that a fifteen year old has the right to gently caress up their life when their brain isn't nearly fully formed, but I'm also not sure what you could actually do here that isn't horrifying in terms of stripping away her agency and just forcefully adopting out the baby like a Lifetime movie

yeah. as i said, i really don't know that theres a good choice here. you cant force the girl to have an abortion she doesnt want. i guess we could ask "why, given that we strip children of their autonomy in decision-making in many other instances?" but thats an entire huge philosophical and ethical discussion in itself. in the world we have now, with the post as presented, where the thing that will be sacrificed in order that the teenage mother and her soon to be born child do not have to live in grinding poverty is, her mother's early retirement and desire to travel, its wrong to throw the teenage mother out on the streets.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Leon Einstein posted:

Way to move the goalposts. Nobody said the show was an abortifacient.

TV scientists better get back to it then

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Leon Einstein posted:

Way to move the goalposts. Nobody said the show was an abortifacient. The point is that the show doesn't glamorize it.

....so then her mom is an idiot if she thinks a show is going to keep her seriously broken daughter from going through with keeping the baby.

Her mom didn't say "I showed her teen mom before she started having sex."

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

yeah. as i said, i really don't know that theres a good choice here. you cant force the girl to have an abortion she doesnt want. i guess we could ask "why, given that we strip children of their autonomy in decision-making in many other instances?" but thats an entire huge philosophical and ethical discussion in itself. in the world we have now, with the post as presented, where the thing that will be sacrificed in order that the teenage mother and her soon to be born child do not have to live in grinding poverty is, her mother's early retirement and desire to travel, its wrong to throw the teenage mother out on the streets.

While the mother is a colossal rear end in a top hat here, at what point would she cease to be, temporally? Like nobody would really call her that much of a monster if her daughter was in her mid twenties and tried to pull this on her before getting told "uh that's kinda your problem not mine sorry" and being kicked out; and when would she justified in saying "hey you gotta leave" to the mother? Is it monstrous for her not to just raise the kid until it turns 18, or should it be the actual mother's responsibility the moment it can be?

e: To clarify, I mean "in three years when she turns 18, how long does the mother have to wait before telling her she's gotta go"

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Blade Runner posted:

Also I consider caste prejudice to be more racism than classism because that's basically just what Indian classism is after a certain point due to their utterly non-existent social mobility structure and the nature of the prejudice therein

Mushmouth posted:

I was being expansive. It was a nice way of saying they were possibly jealous of their love since, from how it sounds, they didn't get a choice in their pairing (from what I've seen of similar posts on here).

It’s okay just to admit you were wrong

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

gently caress Your Website posted:

It’s okay just to admit you were wrong

You're right racism doesn't exist in India great job

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The mother of the 15 year old isn't an rear end in a top hat for wanting to maintain her own autonomy, and if society wasn't a giant garbage fire this wouldn't even be a question because the 15 year old would have access to any financial or health support she needed, for free, provided by the state. The fact that having an unplanned child can be ruinous at all, for anyone, is the real issue here.

Forcing women into the role of mothers is not acceptable, whether it be by making abortion illegal or by going 'lol sorry, a baby related to you needs to be cared for, so enjoy your new unpaid, fulltime job which will cost you tens of thousands of dollars in material costs!'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neophyte posted:

I'm telling you, my "Big Dick Lich" erotic genre is going to be the next Twilight! Don't stifle my dreams!

edit: what a big-dicked snipe!

That would be an incredibly pro username

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that story is america.txt just minus some pro lifers

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I [19M] am not allowed friends

quote:

I have been out of school since 7th grade, when my parents pulled me out of school (legally, through a loophole). I had gone to public school since 1st grade, but was never allowed any friends, although at the time I at least had an opportunity to meet new people. Since dropping out I might leave the house and handful of times a year, and only when I have to (to get a haircut, go to to doctor or something) and still have never had any friends and haven’t talked to someone my own age in years. Until 18 I couldn’t even walk around the block. My parents now want me to take the GED here in Indiana, while a high school here has offered to allow me to go for a year and take credit recovery programs so I could graduate (I could likely skip the 8th grade as I was on track to in 7th grade since I was doing so well in school (I had even taught myself differential calculus), and I started a year late anyway), however they aren’t interested in allowing me to do that. I feel like I missed out on everything, especially with seeing my brother (now a freshman in high school) getting to go out and do things in high school I looked forward too, never got to, and now never will. Is it too late to go back to high school if I can so I can experience at least some of it? Right known I’d do just about anything to just have the experience for a year. While I know nobody here can do anything about it, I just needed to express it somewhere as I have no one here to talk to and it is starting to get brutally lonely.

tl;dr: my parents won’t let me live and it is really getting me down. I feel like I missed out on a lot and I’m worried it’s too late now to go back. I needed somewhere to express that, and maybe some opinions or suggestions.

:wtc:

Parents just crazy, or does this dude have like, the rear end end of a parasitic twin sticking out of his chest and that's why the keep him cooped up in the house?!

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 26, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
kil ur parents

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Kill your parents and frame your brother. Get a fresh start

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

Also I got wrapped up into reading WW2 MoH citations and loving Christ, the sheer balls on the Nazi murdering generation were amazing

Go read the WWI ones. There's one where a dude pisses out a fire in the gunpowder magazine on a ship.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

QuarkJets posted:

Some parents, like Leon Einstein, just have a very low opinion of their child and don't think they're able to perform even the most basic of tasks without consistently loving it up

as a teacher just let me say there are plenty of children who cannot perform the most basic of tasks without consistently loving up

largely because their parents dont raise them

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

caterpillaropera posted:

AITA for having an Almanac?

I broke up wall of text.

JFC

“You bastard. You went through all of that trouble to create a system that guaranteed that you wouldn’t forget anything about me? You are terrible!”

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Blade Runner posted:

You're right racism doesn't exist in India great job

Here, you evidently need both of these resources:
http://www.readingrockets.org/faqs/what-remedial-reading-methods-work-best-students-learning-disabilities
https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15-logical-fallacies-know/

HTH!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

quote:

Because of a few different nonfatal chronic health issues, my husband withdrew from having sex about four years ago. He wouldn’t discuss it—any attempt on my part to bring it up resulted in tears about how bad he felt—and he’s not at all interested in maybe doing anything just for me either. I tested the waters (after four years, I wasn’t sure what I could still do, either!), found a few nice people online, and asked for an open relationship, which he agreed to.

He hasn’t wanted to discuss it much, which I’ve respected, but there’s lots of disapproval when I go out and he’s said he wished I had just snuck around and not told him. Now he’s signaling indirectly (hello, Facebook!) that he wants to rescind his “permission” for me to see other people. I’m not sure he gets to give me permission, exactly. I guess when I took my wedding vows, I was happy to promise to only have sex with him for the rest of my life, but I didn’t give enough thought to being tied to someone who doesn’t want me and doesn’t want me to have anyone else either. What are my obligations here?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

God forbid you find other ways to be intimate with your chronically ill husband than loving, and god forbid you buy a dildo.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lmao read the story man.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I did. Pressuring your husband for an open relationship and assuming he doesn't want her-- when the lack of sex has to do with him being sick-- seems ridiculous and really hurtful to the husband.

Like do the poor man a favor and get a divorce.

E but I did miss the "he won't do anything to pleasure me" so that's poo poo too. He needs therapy. Divorces for everyone!

Scathach fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 27, 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for telling my girlfriend to take off her "gay rights" t shirt.

quote:

My girlfriend was bi, I'm a guy. She had only ever been with girls before me.

We've been together 4 years.

She grew up in a small town and got a lot of poo poo for being Bi and even had physical assaults and damage to her property when people found out she's not straight. She always felt unsafe there and then moved to a city where she met girls and lived her best life or whatever.

We met and fell in love and all is well.

We had to go back to her home town last week and I was meeting her at my work to go. She picked me up and was wearing a jacket and t shirt. She got out of the car to out in petrol and I saw that she was wearing a t shirt saying "homophobia is gay".

When she got back in the car I asked wtf that was about and she said it was because she could never be out when she was younger and she wanted to wear it as a gently caress you to any of her bullies she bumped into.

I told her that's petty and that she's using her sexuality as some emotional blackmail thing. I told her that she can't go to her old town with her BOYFRIEND and rub in everybodies face that she's a gay woman, which she's not.

She got upset and said she is a bi woman, and that she identifies as part of the LGBT community despite being with a man. She said she wants to be proud but I said it's more homophobic to wear that shirt because she's acting like she's special for having been with girls.

She's in a straight relationship, living a straight lifestyle so she needs to move on and get over what happened. She can't expect special treatment for being "queer" (her words) when she isn't even part of that lifestyle now.

Anyway, she's fell out with me and said I'm an rear end in a top hat and I was just adding to her insecurities by trying to erase her bisexuality because I'm a man, she says that doesn't change her sexuality. Really, AITA?

Tl;Dr girlfriend wanted to wear a gay slogan t shirt out but I don't think it's appropriate.

Straights are the worst

EDIT: scratch that, it's probably a fake

Ouhei posted:

This one has turned out to more than likely be fake. The supposed GF created their own post from their side of things, then people dug into that users post and they were supposedly in Thailand with their GF 22 days ago, lol. The post itself is deleted but the comments remain: https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAssh...tm_source=share

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2019

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Scathach posted:

God forbid you find other ways to be intimate with your chronically ill husband than loving, and god forbid you buy a dildo.

Masturbation is not remotely similar to sex. If you're holding a partner to monogamy and cease having sex (when previously your relationship was sexual) then it's not unreasonable for them to want physical intimacy from a third party. The wife tried to make the best of a sad situation (she went without sex for four loving years, come on) by discussing it honestly with the husband before just sleeping around or divorcing him for not banging. The husband isn't obligated to gently caress if it makes him uncomfortable (nor would the wife be vice-versa), he's also not obligated to undergo medical treatments that would improve his outlook on sex if he doesn't want to either, but he's being unreasonable. They need to divorce and move on, they gave it a shot and it didn't work out.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 27, 2019

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Killingyouguy! posted:

Interesting. I started high school in 2008 and free condoms were universal to every high school and university i ever visited, this may be a godless socialism thing though

Again, just like sex ed, it varies widely between states and also between school districts.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

AITA for drinking in front of sober people?

Eh, this one seems like grey area. On the one hand I feel like hey, it's not her drinking problem. I feel like asking if it's okay is the right thing to do, and if the person says no, you shouldn't. But simply saying "yes" to asking if she'd be an rear end in a top hat is a dickhole move. All she would have had to say is "yeah, you know I'm still just struggling with alcohol being around me. If it's not a big deal, I'd really appreciate it if you'd abstain just for tonight."

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TheScott2K posted:

I had to buy the first condom I ever held

When do you think you’re gonna use it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:drat:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Biohazard posted:

Eh, this one seems like grey area. On the one hand I feel like hey, it's not her drinking problem. I feel like asking if it's okay is the right thing to do, and if the person says no, you shouldn't. But simply saying "yes" to asking if she'd be an rear end in a top hat is a dickhole move. All she would have had to say is "yeah, you know I'm still just struggling with alcohol being around me. If it's not a big deal, I'd really appreciate it if you'd abstain just for tonight."
Yeah, if someone put it like that, I'd avoid drinking around then as a courtesy. I don't think it's an rear end in a top hat move to drink anyway though. Alcoholics are going to run into alcohol everywhere, so it's on them to deal with it.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

DreamingofRoses posted:

Is yours copper? I ask because I have the hormonal one and that needs to be removed every 4-5 years.

No, mine’s hormonal (it’s the generic form of Mirena). The FDA approved its use for up to 10 years and I haven’t had any issues or scares to this point. My husband and I are looking at pulling the goalie later this year, though—I’m gonna miss that little t-shaped bugger.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

LadyPictureShow posted:

I had a manic phase once where I was awake so long I started hearing poo poo and got really paranoid (especially after getting serotonin syndrome from meds previously), and it was some truly scary poo poo. I've since calmed down about 'I'm just gonna completely lose my poo poo someday and end up like my crazy uncle'. Of course, that was the point that my doctor finally got my DX right.

I got serotonin syndrome and all my muscles began to seize and my back muscles literally ripped my left shoulder out of the socket. I don't suppose that was your experience?

gently caress Your Website posted:

Uh no, this is India, the parents aren’t obsessed with romcoms and pop culture horseshit

I always thought Indians are just as obsessed with pop culture as we are or more so. And a lot of Indian parent conceptions about weddings and marriage does come from the media in that country

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i've literally never heard of a high school offering condoms outside of -at most- distributing like three of them during the once-ever sex ed class

my high school in california had a huge bowl of free condoms in the nurse's office. It really is just gonna vary depending on location

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm not sure why you're insulting me and putting words in my mouth. gently caress off.

QuarkJets is a massive idiot, a fact which has been proven countless times in this very thread. I suggest you ignore him

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Caste in India is essentially racist in nature

I can say this a few more times and a little slower if you need me to

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Also my health teacher and the nurse both stressed a lot that they would give us condoms with no questions asked if we needed them, but I grew up in NYC so

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its a bit more complicated than that though class is part sure but its geneology, and family lines that have literal blood feuds between each other and man they still hate pakistanis way more than a dalit.

source: was literally paid a dowry in gold when i married my indian ex wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
lmao i got the "aids goes right through condoms!" in catholic school in 2007 in louisiana

unsurprisingly