Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder how we're going to get Gunbreaker if the next expac isn't the "March on Garlemald" expac.

Maybe it'll be some guy coming up with an Eorzean fighting style using Garlean technology?

I am 100% convinced Gunbreaker is from the First and the job trainer will just have gotten shunted to Eorzea somehow, much like the kid whose name I can't spell from the Warring Triad quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I forget, who's Estinien again? Isn't that Niddhogg's fake human form he made to hang out with the WoL and be part of our world before deciding to destroy it once and for all?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Captain Cappy posted:

I forget, who's Estinien again? Isn't that Niddhogg's fake human form he made to hang out with the WoL and be part of our world before deciding to destroy it once and for all?

Do you just skip every cutscene?

Because cutscene skippers shouldn't be allowed to ask lore questions.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Estinien is the Azure Dragoon. He's the DRG trainer for 30-50 for DRG, your best dragoon bud during the 3.0 road-trip, and he gets corrupted and taken over during the 3.x post expansion patches. He also saves you and the Ala Mhigan rebels by destroying a massive cannon near the end of the level 69/70 MSQ quests.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ImpAtom posted:

I mean just off the top of my head there could be extreme limitations or rules on what exactly he's doing. It could be some benevolent version of an Ascian possessing the dude. The weird crystal growths on his skin could be some kind of in-character limitation and if he speaks too much they start to grow so he's limited in what exactly he can do. Some of that is obviously a case of "the writers want an excuse for the dude to be mysterious" but it feels a bit early to go "actually there was no reason at all because everything is terrible."

To be honest I kinda assumed that was the reason he called us then. He had some idea someone would watch out for us but if we decided to go all-in on Zenos and won it might have caused the Flood of Light. I mean Zenos in the fight is even like "How have you mastered your gift this much" so we'd clearly caught him off guard with our power. The fact he got back up doesn't mean we couldn't put him back down for good.

That's fair, as are your other ideas out forth on why things may have been so vague. With Estinien, it would have been easier to swallow if they had at least shown him watching us recently, if only for five seconds. I know that Estinien has been playing the whole ninja dragoon thing since 4.0, but not having any foreshadowing with this feels lazy. I can understand him wanting to repay favors for us saving him from Nidhogg, and stuff like that. They just needed to put forth a little more in terms of setting it up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

by my measurement this was an Extremely Good patch, because i got to hang out with Aymeric again. :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Verranicus posted:

Lot of whiny goons itt.

Turn your monitor on

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If it relieves the story argument, I finalized what's probably my final glamour for this expansion. Finally found a good pair of gloves to go with the tux.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

As for MSQ he probably has some limitation like "WoL's will too strong, can only grab them while incapacitated" so he deliberately set up a near death moment. But yeah we're going to have some *words* when we meet up again.

Given the current setup it makes sense to take him up on his excessively vague breadcrumb since as minimal as it is it's still the only lead on how to un-kidnap the Scion's souls and the empire doesn't seem to be at immediate risk of launching an all out attack. The reasoning behind getting Varis and not-Zenos back in the capital suddenly was pretty weak, I admit.

Estinien saving the day out of nowhere is kind of becoming his idiom. Just so long as they don't go overboard and make him the secret main character, I've already got that job. :orks:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The dude isn't speaking into your head. I don't think he even knew you could hear him.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

so are we supposed to know who the elf-guy with the glowy eyes is at the end? did the ascian possessing zenos get mad at varis for retreating and decide to possess someone else? or is it another ascian altogether?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

so are we supposed to know who the elf-guy with the glowy eyes is at the end? did the ascian possessing zenos get mad at varis for retreating and decide to possess someone else? or is it another ascian altogether?

It's Zenos seemingly back from the dead. His soul seems to have somehow possessed that elf and now it looks like he's planning on returning home, probably to take back his body.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

That is Zenos in a scrub's body. Presumably his soul got kicked out and reforged due to his Echo when he "died" and his original body was taken over

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

well now that just sounds silly.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

It's the same person from patch 4.3.

It's Actual Zenos possessing a random elezen through his artificial Echo (which is what the glowy eyes were representing- he was using the Echo to find out what happened on the battlefield with the Warrior of Light and Elidbus!Zenos.
Recall way back during the Leviathan storyline - the Sahagin priest had the power of the Echo, and possessed another random Sahagin after Merlwyb shot him. Same principle here, basically - Zenos can't die normally while possessed of the Echo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I also appreciate that after all this time, Landebert is still no sellout. :ussr:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

The dude isn't speaking into your head. I don't think he even knew you could hear him.

this is an interesting theory, what makes you think so. genuine question because i like the idea of whats been happening to the scions being inadvertent

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kerrzhe posted:

well now that just sounds silly.

It's nothing we haven't seen before

We already established way back in 2.2 that Echo users can abandon their body and possess another, when the Sahagin Priest did it. Much like Ascians do. Zenos, as a Resonant which is an artificial version of the Echo, is able to do so. Specifically he did it by accident when he killed himself at the end of Stormblood.

While he may have intended to die, since he didn't quite pull it off he can't help but take another swing at the WoL on account of being massively Fight Horny For You

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so I started playing this game

it's good imo

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

gotta say i'm not a big fan of how estenien keeps coming back in these very limited 'oh yeah he did some poo poo and peaced out without saying hi' appearances, it just feels like blatant pandering and in this particular case a excuse to rear end pull a reason why the WoL got pulled away from a mortal blow without having to bother animating a scene of it. either have him come back and have actual screen time or drop him entirely, this way is just annoying and unsatisfying. he's no longer a character he's just a piece of walking fanservice/deus ex dragoonia

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

johnny park posted:

this is an interesting theory, what makes you think so. genuine question because i like the idea of whats been happening to the scions being inadvertent

"Throw wide the gates" sounds more like a spell incantation than an actual thing he wants the person he's talking to do do. Thus when he says "Why won't you open?", he isn't talking to the WoL; he's metaphorically kicking his car because it won't start. "Stupid gates! Why aren't you thrown wide?"

(Also nothing he says before you can actually see him really makes sense as something he's trying to communicate; he's just repeating the Soul Snatchem spell over and over trying to find the one person he actually wants.)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Hogama posted:

It's the same person from patch 4.3.

i went back and rewatched what cutscenes i could from that patch and i'm only more confused, but at this point i think i'm just gonna have to roll with it. all the dimension hopping and possessions and people who may or may not be dead and people who ARE dead but their body is doing one thing and the soul is doing something else---it's all starting to sound a bit kingdom-heartsy.

Captain Oblivious posted:

We already established way back in 2.2 that Echo users can abandon their body and possess another, when the Sahagin Priest did it. Much like Ascians do. Zenos, as a Resonant which is an artificial version of the Echo, is able to do so. Specifically he did it by accident when he killed himself at the end of Stormblood.

so when do i get to do this cool possession thing? .....is that how i got to play as other characters sometimes? :v:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Kerrzhe posted:

so when do i get to do this cool possession thing? .....is that how i got to play as other characters sometimes? :v:

this is what actually happens when you use a fantasia

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
New scion gear is great

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
get in losers we're going raiding

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Did the MSQ today. I agree with the general sentiment that it's a bit weak, but there's still plenty of neat moments in it and I found it enjoyable.

On one hand the mystery of what's going on has been kind of blunted by the Fanfest reveals, because when I asked myself 'ok, what if I didn't know what fanfest told me, how does this stack up?' it was an ok execution. Still some things they could have done better.

Still a bundle of neat reminders and set ups for things to come though.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

"Throw wide the gates" sounds more like a spell incantation than an actual thing he wants the person he's talking to do do. Thus when he says "Why won't you open?", he isn't talking to the WoL; he's metaphorically kicking his car because it won't start. "Stupid gates! Why aren't you thrown wide?"

(Also nothing he says before you can actually see him really makes sense as something he's trying to communicate; he's just repeating the Soul Snatchem spell over and over trying to find the one person he actually wants.)

this is canon now. i like it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Ohtsam posted:

New scion gear is great

yeah you can get some fun stuff today

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Hildibrand trial is amazing and it's the first time I've seen a raid wipe due to everyone going "what" in chat.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Ohtsam posted:

New scion gear is great

I assume this is reshade? What preset do you use?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
https://twitter.com/yumezo14/status/1110541944927604741

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 27, 2019

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I cant get past the new story solo duty with scholar at i371 :rip:
tried spreading dots for the dps check the first try and then focusing down one target at a time for the attempts after

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Zack Ater posted:

I assume this is reshade? What preset do you use?

Nah, just a lot of tinkering with the gpose camera settings, I used all 3 lights and I think had it the filter set on bright 4?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Okay nevermind

Going into this Hildibrand trial blind has redeemed this patch

HOLY gently caress GREG

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MechaX posted:

Okay nevermind

Going into this Hildibrand trial blind has redeemed this patch

HOLY gently caress GREG

It was a better reveal than anything in the MSQ.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Ohtsam posted:

Nah, just a lot of tinkering with the gpose camera settings, I used all 3 lights and I think had it the filter set on bright 4?

Dang, I wanted to be able to run around dyed something like that. Oh well, thanks!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
After you finish the MSQ, go into the solar at the Rising Stones. Talk to Unukalhai, and pick "Tell me about yourself". He has some new dialogue.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It was a better reveal than anything in the MSQ.

The only thing that could make this better is if instead of the reprise version, we got the legit vocal version of Revolutions when Wolf Burglar shows up to stop the seppuku

If their intent was to make me more invested in a goddamn Hilidibrand quest than the MSQ, they definitely succeeded

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
The end of the MSQ didn't super hype me up for Shadowbringers, like the end of the ARR/HW quests did. Still looking forward to it however.

Is the evil speedo wearing catboi involved in the alliance beast tribe quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hildy finale was great, and definitely redeemed itself after I had some misgivings about the first StB Hildy quest.

/mmambo is also extremely good and powerful.

The ongoing drunken breakdown in NN of a long-time mentor upon her realization that mentor roulette was locked behind Hildy, and her visceral hatred of the questline that goes way beyond any Eureka salt that has ever appeared in this thread, is also pretty entertaining. Unfortunately weird things are going on in Kugane shout so I don't have many good screengrabs.