Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Go Pregnant or Go Home

I hate this. It’s kitschy and awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

A three part story

I'm(24M) straight and in love with my Gay Best friend (23M)

quote:

I met Ben about 4 years ago during our freshmen year at UCLA. We instantly became inseparable and did just about everything together. We even told each other things that nobody else knew, worked out together, worked together, studied together, partied together etc. Basically we were and still are inseparable. About 5 months ago everything kind of blew up! There was a big incident at a party involving my girlfriend of 2 years and Ben said that she wasn't good enough for me, when I confronted him about why he said that, he freaked and said that he was in love with me and it was because he was jealous of her, then he just ran off! Mind you there was alcohol involved. I wasn't drinking cause I was the DD

We did work everything out, he said that he was sorry and didn't mean it, and I told him that he was still my best friend but if he was gay it was wrong to lie to his girlfriend, and eventually he did come out, a while later he even met this guy Andrew, and everything was going really good! Except, even though I did still want him as my best friend, I couldn't stop thinking about him saying he loved me, and not just because I was shocked, but because I started wondering if I could love him to? Now I am completely straight, I've only ever liked girls and still do, and I've never thought about any guys in a sexual way at all, but the more I thought about it, the more it actually started happening.

I literally couldn't stop thinking about him, and even started to notice things about him that I never did before, like how blue his eyes were, or how nice his lips were, how he looked in certain clothes. He's very elegant but also masculine. I started thinking about him the way I only thought about my girlfriend, I even thought about him while I was kissing her and wondered what it would be like to kiss him to. I even thought about him during sex. I can't take it anymore, all I can think about is how much I want him and it's driving me insane, I can't sleep, I can't concentrate at work, I can't even stand to see him with his boyfriend because of how jealous it makes me, it's even gotten to the point where I've started thinking of excuses to not be with my girlfriend.

I really am in love with him! What should I do!? Do I tell him how I feel, do I break up with my girlfriend? I'm not into other guys, it's just him. I've tried to not think about it and make it go away, but it just doesn't, I really truly am in love with him and want him more than anything! I am so confused.

TLDR: I'm in love with my gay best friend after he confessed to me that he loved me. I'm confused on what should I do??

I'm(24M) straight and in love with my Gay Best friend (23M) UPDATE

quote:

/r/relationship_advice/comments/b3fun9/im24m_straight_and_in_love_with_my_gay_best/ ( original post)

I broke up with my girlfriend today. I told her the truth about how my feelings for Ben were changing. She deserves to be with someone who loves her and prioritizes her. We had prior plans of her moving in with me in the upcoming months, so this wasn't an easy conversation to have but it had to be done. She took it well. We were both were crying but we kept it civil and non-dramatic. We wished each other luck for the future and we left it at that.

I invited Ben over to my place tomorrow after work so we can chill and talk. I'm pretty nervous actually. I'm kind of wondering how to approach this?

Any advice would be much appreciated

I'm(24M) straight and in love with my Gay Best friend (23M) UPDATE 2

quote:

Sorry for not updating sooner

/r/relationship_advice/comments/b4u10l/im24m_straight_and_in_love_with_my_gay_best/ (last update)

It went really well! Ben came over to hangout . I told him the truth about how my feelings for him were changing but I didn't pressurize him into anything. I just wanted to let him now how I was feeling. I was a nervous wreck, but I took a chance and it paid off. HE FELT THE SAME! We talked a lot about what was going to happen next? We've decided to keep this between us for a bit so we can establish "us" first. As for Andrew- THE relationship is over. He's moving to the other side of the country (Pittsburgh. We live in LA), and Ben isn't down with long distance.

We basically talked the whole night. He spent the night (as he normally does) but this time he was in my bed with me. We didn't sleep all night(noting sexual). We cuddled and talked. I took another chance when I kissed him but luckily he reciprocated. So that's basically all we did- cuddle, talking and light pecks all night. It took everything in me to not devour him (He has very soft lips). I felt like I was flying. Going to work was really hard. I was missing him so much.

We're going out for dinner tonight. I actually can't wait to see him

Obviously this is fake fan fiction designed to get that sweet reddit gol-

Nah, i wanna believe in love :3:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

DemoneeHo posted:

A three part story

I'm(24M) straight and in love with my Gay Best friend (23M) UPDATE

I'm(24M) straight and in love with my Gay Best friend (23M) UPDATE 2

Obviously this is fake fan fiction designed to get that sweet reddit gol-

Nah, i wanna believe in love :3:

I have seen almost this exact scenario play out in real life. The details in that story line up pretty well with the stories of people I know who followed a similar path. Go ahead and believe, because even if that one is fake, I can tell you for sure that sometimes it happens exactly like that.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for interrupting a woman who was giving a very sensitive speech to my class?
I understand my teacher’s rule, but think that it’s horribly unfair someone should have to sit outside in the cold if they have a legitimate excuse for being late.

At the end of the class, my teacher scolded me for not listening and interrupting the speech giver, and gave me a detention even after I explained that I had an excuse for being late.
The beginning of adulthood is the moment you realize no one in your life gives the slightest gently caress about any of your excuses, or ever has

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for letting the football(soccer) team I coach win 19-1?

To preface, I coach an U15's boys Sunday League football team in the UK.

Over the weekend we played another team and proceeded to win 19-1. Today I received an email from the coach of the other team. He stated that we exhibited unsportsmanlike behaviour by allowing the score to get so big and that one of his players was considering quitting football due to the result.

To give some more details, at no point during the game did he ask me to take our foot of the pedal. In addition I took both of our strikers off with 20 minutes to go (they had 6 goals each at this point) to let the Centre Backs have a go up front.

Obviously I feel bad that some of his players felt disheartened due to the result. However I have always distilled in my team that they should treat the game as if it's 0-0 at all times. He also never asked for mercy during the game and seemed like a good sport about the result at the final whistle. Had he asked I probably would have told my players to go easy on them from that point.

So AITA for letting the score reach 19-1?

Update: So judging from the replies there seems to be quite a large cultural split on this. Most of the Brits think I'm NTA, whilst a good portion of Americans think I'm TA. I think next time I'll probably bring the subs on sooner and swap players positions more. However I don't agree with telling the kids to not give 100% and just pass the ball about, as this seems more disrespectful to the opposition imo.

They should have shut down the game and given the team the win before it got that skewed. If they're under 15 there is no reason for kids to be humiliated like that. I don't think the coach is malicious or anything but he is lacking judgement with regards to considering the age groups and possible socioeconomic differences between the teams. If the other team couldn't afford equipment or proper training then its unfair and dehumanizing for 'em to go through an experience like that.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Over the weekend we played another team and proceeded to win 19-1. Today I received an email from the coach of the other team. He stated that we exhibited unsportsmanlike behaviour by allowing the score to get so big and that one of his players was considering quitting football due to the result.

To give some more details, at no point during the game did he ask me to take our foot of the pedal. In addition I took both of our strikers off with 20 minutes to go (they had 6 goals each at this point) to let the Centre Backs have a go up front.

Obviously I feel bad that some of his players felt disheartened due to the result. However I have always distilled in my team that they should treat the game as if it's 0-0 at all times. He also never asked for mercy during the game and seemed like a good sport about the result at the final whistle. Had he asked I probably would have told my players to go easy on them from that point.

Update: So judging from the replies there seems to be quite a large cultural split on this. Most of the Brits think I'm NTA, whilst a good portion of Americans think I'm TA. I think next time I'll probably bring the subs on sooner and swap players positions more. However I don't agree with telling the kids to not give 100% and just pass the ball about, as this seems more disrespectful to the opposition imo.

For some reason, I'm thinking of Brazil now.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Smirking_Serpent posted:

There was a kids hockey game near my town this season that was in a similar situation. Something like 14 - 0, and then they had the winning team have to pass 5 times and take it back to the blue before shooting and they still got another 4 goals or something. They called the game early and then actually blended the two teams for a scrimmage match and practice drills. Obliterating a team of kids is unsportsmanlike, plain and simple.

e: lmao I was way off. It ended 41 - 0. https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/8994678-when-is-enough-enough-novice-hockey-game-ends-in-41-0-rout/

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 27, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
You can't put it on the coach of the winning team to have to end the match. If a mercy rule is needed that's a league thing, and id there are no mercy rules then the coach of the losing team can always forfeit or actually talk to the other coach like an adult.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

Us [20s M &F] with inlaws [50s M&F]: hoarding, homeschooling, refusal of medical care

quote:

Me and boyfriend are moderately successful, together 5 years, late 20s DINKs who are struggling with how to respond to his parents behavior, and how to best help his siblings, ages 9-20.

The in laws are best described as kind and generous religious hippies.

Their home has always been messy but recently we've become aware that the situation is deteriorating. Stuff in the kids rooms piled up over 5 ft high, nowhere to keep clothes, nowhere to study except the living room couch, every wall lined with boxes/shelves/stacks of items. Stuff in storage areas (garage/laundry room/utility closets) piled to the ceiling and the rooms are nonfunctional except for the path to the laundry machines (which partner & I recently replaced after finding out they'd been broken 6 months +)

We try to help the kids keep their bedrooms clear by doing a "clean up day" every so often, focusing only on their rooms, usually one at a time. In doing this, recently discovered that the house is infested with poisonous spiders in the bedrooms (black widow) as well as roaches, and fleas from the 5 dogs & 5(?) cats, all untreated. Apparently it’s been that way a while.

Since discovering this (a teen asked for help cleaning in one of our routine bedroom cleanups) we're spending our nights after work for the last 2 weeks until midnight or later cleaning and desperately trying to get the child's bedroom liveable and have mostly accomplished that.

There are weapons scattered throughout the home. Guns, bullets, bows & arrows, knives, machetes, you name it. [ EDIT: During cleanup, SO & I moved all guns into a locked gunsafe ] Outlets with no cover. Light fixtures with open bulbs. Layers of dust so thick you can lift them off in a sheet in some places.

Other problems:
Bathroom walls growing mildew
Use of essential oils and "alkalized water" as cleaning agents, exclusively, including for pet waste cleanup
Kitchen counters/floor piled with recycling/compost aka rotting food
employment difficulties, income uncertainty
lack of drive to remedy any of the above
Fleas, ants, spiders, roaches, and other bugs I can't identify.
Evidence of mice, etc

They won't throw away anything that can be recycled. They also don't have a recycling service, so everything is stacked and piled in the kitchen until someone takes it to the local center. However, they also do not recycle or donate items that are potentially useful in some capacity (ketchup cups 1 oz, 100s of jars, yogurt cups, toilet paper rolls, outgrown clothing, damaged clothing, etc, everything is kept. They are also bringing in new items on an almost daily basis.

The highschool age students are 18 and 20 and still do not have a diploma or formal education plan. They are homeschooled. Mom says it's their job to manage their school and come to her for help and keep up with their own course load. This is a source of conflict in the home. The younger kids are also very behind grade level.

The youngest is sick with all the symptoms of whooping cough, multiple others are sick with a bad cough, and they are not in quarantine, and insist that seeking medical care is a waste of time, as essential oils are sufficient, despite access to free medical care. [EDIT: sick kid was taken to the doctor the day after this was written]

We have gotten fleas in our house just from visiting their home.

There is a nonchalance about the state of the house. Neither parent is concerned about the disease risk or fire hazards in the house and have been laughing at my suggestions as "paranoid".

SO and I are ready and willing to help the family/children, and are considering multiple options and are unsure of the best approach. CPS is not known for prompt or effective action in our area, but that is an option being considered.

What would you do? Have you lived this scenario?

tl;dr: Well intentioned, kind, delusional inlaws on path to destruction, how to best help their children/convince them to seek help?

DeadMansSuspenders fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Ending the game early because one team is winning too much is dumb, it just goes to show that one of the teams is in the wrong league and should be playing with another team at their skill level. Whether that means the higher scoring team moves into a better league or the poorer team drops down one, either way there's a huge mismatch in skill level that shouldn't have happened in the first place

therobit posted:

You can't put it on the coach of the winning team to have to end the match. If a mercy rule is needed that's a league thing, and id there are no mercy rules then the coach of the losing team can always forfeit or actually talk to the other coach like an adult.

Basically this. I'd rather lose knowing we played all out the whole time, rather than have the match forced to an end for us because of how the other team played

bell jar fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Our [19F twins& 21F] brother [14M] discovered our older brother [25M] body after he killed himself. Our parents are refusing to get him into therapy

Ugh

Maybe warn people that you're posting a hosed up sad story with no redeeming entertainment value at all, gently caress

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Ugh

Maybe warn people that you're posting a hosed up sad story with no redeeming entertainment value at all, gently caress

Sorry, I posted it and then edited it to a different story after I realized pretty much exactly what you said.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

My [22F] boyfriend [25M] of 1.5 years didn't put any effort into my birthday but still asked for a "thank you blowjob".

quote:

To start, my boyfriend and I have been together almost 1.5 years and have an apartment together.

Yesterday was my birthday and my boyfriend started the day by posting to my facebook that it was going to be a fun day full of presents and surprises. It was excited because in the past he's hasn't been very good with special occasions.

Valentine's day 2013 he bought me a rose from a gas station when he went there to buy cigarettes, and that was it for the day. It was a nice gesture, but it left me feeling like he was too lazy to put any thought into the day. When we talked about it, he admitted that laziness was the case. I felt hurt but got over it, and explained to him that I feel like it's not about what he gets for me or does for me, what matters is the time and thought he put into things.

Two weeks later it was my birthday. I was honest with him on Valentine’s Day and didn't play head games with him, so it was clear that it would be nice if he put some thought into doing something (anything) for me. A card made from printer paper and crayons would have meant something, but instead he just said happy birthday to me and went about his day. I was upset and felt hurt again, so I calmly expressed my disappointment, and told him that I'll try better to express what I'd like from him in the future.

So yesterday after he spent the morning building me up, I was feeling really optimistic about the day. When noon time came around though, I found myself still waiting for the surprises. I inquired about our plans for the day and he said he had nothing planned. We can do whatever I want though. Well, of course I can do whatever I want. I'm an adult with a job; I didn't need to wait for my birthday to know that. I didn't say that, but I thought it. I just suggested a restaurant instead.

The place we went to had a menu mainly of things to share. The boyfriend is a picky eater and anything I liked didn't sound good to him. I got over it and let him order what he wanted for us. After we ate I asked again what the plan was, and there was none, so I asked him if he wanted to come to a liquidation store with me.

I need new shoes so I went was the shoe section to find a pair. I'll buy myself a drat birthday gift. We also need curtains for our house though, and he was learning towards getting the curtains he noticed. I put the shoes back because I agreed with him that we need curtains first. Sure it's my birthday but I don't want to be selfish so I'll get something that benefits us both. We went home after that.

A while later I inquire about birthday cake. He was supposed to get one but it wasn't on his list of priorities so he agreed to come to the grocery store with me to get a cake. I didn't get a magical birthday full of surprises like I thought, but picking out a cake could cheer me up. The boyfriend ended up picking it out though. He didn't like what I chose and wouldn't eat it if I got it. So he picked out the cake he wanted...and made sure he got the discount one. I'm still fine though. It's good. It's just a day. It's just a cake.

We go home and eat some cake and get ready for bed. I have a headache and don't feel so well anymore. The boyfriend asks me if my day was good besides the headache. It could have been worse. I'm not ungrateful for what I have, so I tell him I had a good day. He responds with:

“Good. I was going to ask you for a 'Thank you blowjob' for everything, but since you have a headache I won't.”

I responded with “You should not have said that. You don't have to tell me everything you think" and left it at that and rolled over to go to sleep.

I feel really insulted and let down. I'm getting really tired of explaining the idea of making the other person feel special. I don't expect to be made to feel special, but I hope for it. His comment last night was so insensitive and selfish, and here I am constantly reminding myself that I shouldn't expect to be treated like a princess just because my friends are and I certainly have no right to demand to be treated more special.

I don't know how to frame the topic anymore. I'm not going to end the relationship over it, but I'm starting to feel like maybe I should stop doing special things for him because he seems to expect and feel like he's earned those things without reciprocating. It's hurting my feelings. I could explain my feelings until I'm blue in the face and tell him exactly what I want from him and he still wouldn't do it. I need an outside perspective and some advice.
Got a full day of surprises and fun planned for you! Actually I don't have any plans for you, but we ought to pick up those curtains we need! :murder:

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Us [20s M &F] with inlaws [50s M&F]: hoarding, homeschooling, refusal of medical care

This one's pretty sad and hosed up too so I'm glad I missed the other one.

e: why do kind and generous hippies have guns everywhere?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

PASS THE MASH posted:

This one's pretty sad and hosed up too so I'm glad I missed the other one.

e: why do kind and generous hippies have guns everywhere?

You can be kind and generous and have guns. Also rural areas have a different breed of hippie, the"self sufficientcy"/commune style ones out there are generally a-ok with firearms.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting a Native American blessing read at my wedding?

Okay so hear me out here. For background, I am getting married in about a month. My fiance and I are both predominantly white, his family does have some Native American but they are not particularly connected with that culture. This all started when I was looking for nonreligious readings to use at the end of our ceremony. I found an Apache blessing that was typically used in place of wedding vows and really connected with it. It is far more about the connection of the two people getting married than anything else. I want to have this blessing read to close out our ceremony, and do intend to have it introduced as a traditional Native American blessing. My sister is now telling me that this is cultural appropriation and I am an A-hole for wanting to use it. On the other hand, when searching for nonreligious readings this blessing has shown up on every site that I have looked at. So AITA for wanting to use something that isn't my culture but really resonated with me?

Edit: What I found online listed as an Apache Blessing was apparently written for a Hollywood film. I was not aware of this or of the fact that it has since been widely circulated and misattributed to Native Americans. The author of the poem was not Native in any way.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking my bf to block his soon to be step sister on snapchat?

So a few nights ago my bf got a sc from his step sister (his dad and her mum are getting married soon). Not thinking he asked me to open it cos he was busy and it was her laid in bed, topless showing some underboob.

There has been some issues with her sending inappropriate pictures to older men (she’s 17, my bf is 26) whenever we visit she follows him around like a lost little puppy and is ALWAYS up his arse, and I’m sure it was an accident or she’s sent it to multiple people (I in no way think there’s anything going on with them, I’m just worried that either she has a crush on him which is kinda weird or that she’s gonna get herself and/or my bf in trouble. If he gets caught with these pics from her he’s hosed as it’s pics of a minor. I haven’t asked him to block her yet but WIBTA if I ask that? It’s just freaking me out!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not letting a client falsely wear a full military uniform?

So first things first, I work with the mentally disabled and this one client loves to play dress up and his favorite one is wearing full ACU's. I served in the military and I just don't like it when others wear the uniform without serving. He likes to play the "I'm an honorary member of my brothers unit" which he is, but it's no reason to wear the uniform(imo). I told him that I don't care what he wears while I am not working with him, but when I am to not wear it. It also gets VERY uncomfortable in public because when someone walks up to him and asks "your in the military?" He will lie and say that he is and starts trying to explain what he does and I have to intervene and explain the situation. I know I am probably the rear end in a top hat and I should just let him, hes not hurting anyone, but it just annoys me when he goes out and tries to lie about something he never did.

EDIT: my client has autism, higher functioning than you would think and can be completely normal at times so yeah, he looks believable in uniform. First time I met him before I knew I would be working with him I thought he was in the military... until I started working with him a week later.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not letting a client falsely wear a full military uniform?

So first things first, I work with the mentally disabled and this one client loves to play dress up and his favorite one is wearing full ACU's. I served in the military and I just don't like it when others wear the uniform without serving. He likes to play the "I'm an honorary member of my brothers unit" which he is, but it's no reason to wear the uniform(imo). I told him that I don't care what he wears while I am not working with him, but when I am to not wear it. It also gets VERY uncomfortable in public because when someone walks up to him and asks "your in the military?" He will lie and say that he is and starts trying to explain what he does and I have to intervene and explain the situation. I know I am probably the rear end in a top hat and I should just let him, hes not hurting anyone, but it just annoys me when he goes out and tries to lie about something he never did.

EDIT: my client has autism, higher functioning than you would think and can be completely normal at times so yeah, he looks believable in uniform. First time I met him before I knew I would be working with him I thought he was in the military... until I started working with him a week later.

It's good that there are clues like people asking if he's in the military rather than me reading the whole thing and assuming it's nazi cosplay by an autistic guy who wouldn't ya know it just plum can't figure out why people get so upset about those dirlewanger duds.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Smirking_Serpent posted:

/r/relationships: so yeah, he looks believable in uniform.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

chemtrail huffer posted:

My girlfriend's [23F] ex boyfriend was black. I [24M] don't have a problem with it but she keeps bringing it up

I'm reminded of the old SA fart story where the sound of the fart was described as "a surprised James Earl Jones shouting the word 'BLACK'."

I have no clue why i did not save the story to my phone when I found it last year for a fart story thread :( I'm sorry I don't have the whole thing for you guys.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bored posted:

I'm reminded of the old SA fart story where the sound of the fart was described as "a surprised James Earl Jones shouting the word 'BLACK'."

I have no clue why i did not save the story to my phone when I found it last year for a fart story thread :( I'm sorry I don't have the whole thing for you guys.

I got you fam

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i guess i would say 'until you cannot, or doing so will hurt your other kids or dependents.' but this lady can, she just doesnt wanna

15 is too young to be signing herself the people who are required by law to take care of her (and will end up doing most of the parenting) up for another baby. That said, at 15 there's a good chance she miscarries and has blown up her life in the process.

This daughter is going to be on the street with a suitcase and potentially a toddler, along with zero job skills, five minutes after midnight on her 18th, and Grandma will have already changed the locks.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

AskReddit: How do I make my daughter think having an abortion is her idea?

Inception 2: Inbortion

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend to take off her "gay rights" t shirt.

Straights are the worst

That shirt owns

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Agrikk posted:

Imagine having a cause so righteous like killing Nazis in this day and age. The righteous anger immediately following 9/11 could come close I suppose but the mismanagement of that war certainly tamped that feeling down.

I don’t mean to get all political here, I’m just amazed at the all-in mentality that the nation had during WWII and how that kind of passion and fury seems far away today.

It wasn’t that cut and dry though at the time until the war was almost over. There were a lot of isolationists and fascist collaboration especially early in the war.

The kind of risks that were taken routinely were crazy though, the raids on Norsk hydro and such and the stuff the OSS did were insane even compared to modern day JSOC, and those guys basically had no real training while going up against a professional and reasonably sophisticated enemy.

Edit: whoops, sorry about the triple post I’m on mobile

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 27, 2019

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Entorwellian posted:

They should have shut down the game and given the team the win before it got that skewed. If they're under 15 there is no reason for kids to be humiliated like that. I don't think the coach is malicious or anything but he is lacking judgement with regards to considering the age groups and possible socioeconomic differences between the teams. If the other team couldn't afford equipment or proper training then its unfair and dehumanizing for 'em to go through an experience like that.

Nah gently caress that, it's way more unsportsmanlike to go easy on teams than to run them over, plus getting spanked by a ridiculous amount is an essential part of playing football as a kid. I was on the recieving end and dished out results worse than that around that age.

I also don't really think wealth differences (if there were any) played a huge part. I always remember kids from the "rougher" areas were generally harder to beat from the more middle class bits

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Didnt know about mercy rules, idunno i would be more bummed out if they stopped the game because we played so bad rather than losing 19-1.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

datajugend posted:

Didnt know about mercy rules, idunno i would be more bummed out if they stopped the game because we played so bad rather than losing 19-1.

Its why mercy rules have to be mandatorily enforced (like a 10 run lead in baseball) or nobody surrenders. On the other hand once youre down 8 runs you get a perverse incentive to just give up the last two so you can go home.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I dont know anything about baseball. But soccer matches in younger teams can be like 30-60 minutes full game.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

datajugend posted:

Yeah it only makes sense in games that don't have a strict time limit. I bet that other coach is the type to give all the kids participation medals and get them pizza no matter how hard they try

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Ugh

Thanks dude, lots of us weren’t ever going to see that title except that you quoted it.

Don’t quote the hosed up poo poo.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Here's a pretty good video about a different sport beatdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

222-0 baby

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

DemoneeHo posted:

A three part story

quote:

Mind you there was alcohol involved

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

The other coach should've told his boys to start chopping down the other team like they're lumberjacks vying for first place in "most trees felled in a day" competition. Then they would only have lost 3-0 by default by virtue of having too few players to play the game. Everyone's a winner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

datajugend posted:

I dont know anything about baseball. But soccer matches in younger teams can be like 30-60 minutes full game.

Baseball is fast cricket, so matches last between about 3 hours and the heat death of the universe.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

bell jar posted:

Basically this. I'd rather lose knowing we played all out the whole time, rather than have the match forced to an end for us because of how the other team played

And of course your team of under fifteen year olds, behind 4-0 or 6-0 or 10-0 or 15-0 or 19-0, continue to play with heart and “all out the whole time” rather than realize the cause is hopeless and start shuffling around the pitch waiting for the game to be over.

At 6-0 or whatever, the coach of the other side can easily tell their players to pass back across their goal in the box or say that every player gets a touch before crossing the midline.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The boyfriend is a picky eater

:sever:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Winning coach should just email back saying "My team was going easy on yours, we thought this was just a fun knockabout. Was your team going all out?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Durzel posted:

The other coach should've told his boys to start chopping down the other team like they're lumberjacks vying for first place in "most trees felled in a day" competition. Then they would only have lost 3-0 by default by virtue of having too few players to play the game. Everyone's a winner.

Honestly when I was playing as a defender I got more satisfaction for consistently ruining an attacker's day then I ever would scoring.