Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Arizona, we got that too. Of course this was like early 90's so we also got told we might get HIV from drinking water after someone else too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

sneakyfrog posted:

its a bit more complicated than that though class is part sure but its geneology, and family lines that have literal blood feuds between each other and man they still hate pakistanis way more than a dalit.

source: was literally paid a dowry in gold when i married my indian ex wife

Did you get to keep the dowry?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Is it rude to ask how much gold you got? I'm super curious.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

VanSandman posted:

Did you get to keep the dowry?

:smuggo:

and im still technically a prince

e: apparently taking the ladies off your hands are worth five thousand dollars in gold

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

They taught us how to put condoms on, went over STD protection in general, and then I think they discussed that condoms aren't 100% effective, but are almost entirely so if used properly

I remember kinda rolling my eyes because we were like 14 and I couldn't conceive of someone not knowing how to put on a condom but apparently the Bible belt is a hell world

Then we had some woman come in to give us a basic primer on how consent works which also apparently is rare

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

sneakyfrog posted:

e: apparently taking the ladies off your hands are worth five thousand dollars in gold

That whole kissing a frog and getting a prince thing is loving real? Really thought Disney was taking liberties with that one.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Play posted:

I got serotonin syndrome and all my muscles began to seize and my back muscles literally ripped my left shoulder out of the socket. I don't suppose that was your experience?

Holy plop. Do you have PMs, because you are the first other person I've encountered that got it too, and I would honestly like to compare notes if you don't mind.

My symptoms were insane hallucinations (audio and visual) that came and went, vomiting, the runs, sweating/fast heart beat, and I got bad hand/arm tremors but not to the insane degree of ripping a shoulder out of the socket :gonk:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Blade Runner posted:

They taught us how to put condoms on, went over STD protection in general, and then I think they discussed that condoms aren't 100% effective, but are almost entirely so if used properly

I remember kinda rolling my eyes because we were like 14 and I couldn't conceive of someone not knowing how to put on a condom but apparently the Bible belt is a hell world

Then we had some woman come in to give us a basic primer on how consent works which also apparently is rare

in contrast: my sex ed class was a part of the mandatory, every year of high school 'religion' (catechism class), no we did not have any sort of sex ed before sophomore year in HS why do you ask? are you some kind of pervert, wanting to talk to CHILDREN about SEX!, and was lead by a man who regularly referred to gay men as fudgepackers, and yea, did so even in this very sex ed module, where we learned that condoms are useless, and also here is a slideshow of diseased sex organs

e: again this was in 2007

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jobson groeth posted:

That whole kissing a frog and getting a prince thing is loving real? Really thought Disney was taking liberties with that one.

Oh totally, it's one of those classic weird fairy tales, it was retold by the Grimm Brothers. Russian folklore has a similar story but with the genders reversed

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you have to ask miss frog about that when she catches up in this thread and gives me poo poo for bringing up this story

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
To follow up, the Medal of Honor guy from a few pages back admits that he changed a few details, which is why what he said doesn’t actually match any real person, or he’s just lying and trying to cover it up

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

Oh totally, it's one of those classic weird fairy tales, it was retold by the Grimm Brothers. Russian folklore has a similar story but with the genders reversed

I've licked a lot of toads and still no prince :negative:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

Wait what

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its a stupid caste/family thing, means nothing really. basically since women mean basically liability(property) in higher caste culture i am technically my indians family firstborn regardless of divorce or remarriage or the presence of a younger brother under certain traditions. its a very lovely culture towards women and there is a lot of really bad poo poo that goes on that really loving sucks for even "privileged" ladyfolks there

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend he has a small penis?

I know the title itself makes me sound awful but hear me out. I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months and he's small down there, like 4 inches give or take. He constantly asks me if it's big enough, if I can feel it, and I always reassure him and tell him he's fine. I tell him I'm not with him for his penis and he has nothing to worry about.

However the last few days he got increasingly agitated and kept asking me if I was lying, if he's too small, and wouldn't take "You're fine" or "You're average" or "I don't care how big it is" for an answer. I told him to stop pestering me but this went on for a few more days until I snapped and told him he's below average but he has nothing to worry about. Obviously he didn't take it well.

I don't lie to him and say it's big, I say he's average, has nothing to worry about, etc.

I don't know how old these people are, but if she isn't going to break up with someone who constantly asks if his dick small, and that's not part of a kink, she should just start saying,"I don't care" every time he asks. When that doesn't stop him, start putting on headphones. Do not reward this behavior with any attention.

Or just break up.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Bored posted:

I don't know how old these people are, but if she isn't going to break up with someone who constantly asks if his dick small, and that's not part of a kink, she should just start saying,"I don't care" every time he asks. When that doesn't stop him, start putting on headphones. Do not reward this behavior with any attention.

Or just break up.

Or she could get one of those dog conditioning clickers and say yes + click every time until eventually when he starts asking she just has to hold up her hand to annihilate him

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

christmas boots posted:

Oh we have it all, I'm sure. My dad's a major WW2 buff and my Aunt really put herself into chronicling the grandparents and their history.

We've got the uniform, the medals, a Japanese bayonet he brought back, every letter he and grandma sent each other, I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't request the records at some point. He didn't really talk much about it so most of what we know had to be compiled through other sources. It's all there, I've just never committed it to memory.

When you're playing the Nazi murder game, no one wants to look like they're phoning it in.

Imagine having a cause so righteous like killing Nazis in this day and age. The righteous anger immediately following 9/11 could come close I suppose but the mismanagement of that war certainly tamped that feeling down.

I don’t mean to get all political here, I’m just amazed at the all-in mentality that the nation had during WWII and how that kind of passion and fury seems far away today.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

QuarkJets posted:

AITA for drinking in front of sober people?

It’s nice if you ask first, but an alcoholic’s addiction is not anyone else’s problem and asking the world to change for one is selfish. You are not an rear end in a top hat for drinking in front of them.

If the alcoholic gets uncomfortable, they should leave the environment.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I’m just amazed at the all-in mentality that the nation had during WWII and how that kind of passion and fury seems far away today.

american attitudes to nazis in wwii were far from all-in

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JaneError posted:

No, mine’s hormonal (it’s the generic form of Mirena). The FDA approved its use for up to 10 years and I haven’t had any issues or scares to this point. My husband and I are looking at pulling the goalie later this year, though—I’m gonna miss that little t-shaped bugger.

Not saying you're lying, but do you know of any sources backing this up?

My wife is coming up due to have her's replaced in the next year and would prefer to kick the can down the road if possible.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Geoj posted:

Not saying you're lying, but do you know of any sources backing this up?

My wife is coming up due to have her's replaced in the next year and would prefer to kick the can down the road if possible.

Not Jane, but I was curious after that came up: they’re effective for longer than recommended

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Go Pregnant or Go Home

quote:

A love story:

First, we met on the dance floor at this place playing loud music.
Soon after we were madly in love!
Before I knew it, we were engaged to be married.
Now, here I am in the backyard turning over soil for her garden instead of playing cards with my friends or enjoying the multitudes of brain-bending puzzles on my favorite website. Oh well, she's worth it.

Soon enough, of course, she peed on a plastic stick and it came back +. We were so excited!

One day, after she had had a visit to her "special" doctor, I came home from work to find her sitting at my poker table with a big smile on her face.

I said, "Do you have any news?"

She nodded convulsively.

"When are we due, honey?"

That's when things got hairy.

"Well," she said, "seeing as how you spend every waking moment that you can on that drat Puzzling website or playing cards with your buddies instead of spending time with me, I've decided to torture you."

My smile lost some of its intensity. Through gritted yet still-smiling teeth I managed to ask, "Whatever do you mean, my little buttercup?"

"Don't give me any of that crap, Buster! I'm not telling you the due date until you figure out my own little puzzle. Once you solve the puzzle I have made here, then I will tell you our due date. To reemphasize, this puzzle has nothing to do with the due date, do you understand?"

I gulped and nodded.

Then she handed me a piece of paper which had this information on it:

March 12, 2019
June 18, 2019
June 25, 2019
September 10, 2019
December 10, 2019

What is the answer to her puzzle?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1110719148273868801

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Lol such insight. People fake post online. Sage wisdom. Go back to Computer janitor Twitter

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for considering to break up with my boyfriend over this?

I’m a Middle Eastern girl, and he’s white. When we first met, he told me he’d never date someone of my race but he thinks that I’m cool. I thought it’s whatever, he can be attracted to whoever he wants. Eventually, he asked me out and I said yes. We’ve been dating for 3 months now.

Last night, we were hanging out and he jokes that ‘it’s nice to have a submissive woman around’, because I come from a traditional family. I didn’t think it was funny. I told him that he’s being racist and disrespectful. He told me to lighten up and I’m being petty over nothing

Is it rational to break up over this or am I being too petty?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (15f) sister (21f) is angry because I called her engagement ritual dumb.

So my sister is going to get engaged to her boyfriend (23m) soon. Yesterday she was telling me and our cousin (17f) how her bf is going to propose. I forget the whole process because it sounded so unnecessarily complicated... basically she's picking out a few types of rings that she finds acceptable, then sending out her BFF to monitor the boyfriend and make sure he gets a ring that's not under a certain price and standard. She also said she would break up with her bf if he came back with a wrong color, type of ring or whatever. Our cousin agreed with everything, but I thought to myself that's pretty stupid. I'm vocal about my opinions, so I asked my sister why not go shopping with her boyfriend directly instead of sending a friend to control him. I mean, since this is so important to her. She said I don't understand engagement and that it's important for a man to surprise a woman. So I told her, well shouldn't you be okay with whatever he picks if it's supposed to be a surprise. She laughed and said men are like pets, they don't understand such things unless you train them. I asked her why would you marry a pet, and she got really angry with me and told me off because I was acting like an annoying kid. So I felt hurt and called her whole engagement dumb. I kind of regret saying that because now she won't talk to me, only through our parents. They're already asking us what's wrong and telling us to apologize to each other. Should I say I'm sorry even though I still disagree with her opinions?

What do you guys think is right?

tl;dr: I got into a fight with my sister over her plan for engagement, now she's acting out by not talking to me. How should we make up?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for letting the football(soccer) team I coach win 19-1?

To preface, I coach an U15's boys Sunday League football team in the UK.

Over the weekend we played another team and proceeded to win 19-1. Today I received an email from the coach of the other team. He stated that we exhibited unsportsmanlike behaviour by allowing the score to get so big and that one of his players was considering quitting football due to the result.

To give some more details, at no point during the game did he ask me to take our foot of the pedal. In addition I took both of our strikers off with 20 minutes to go (they had 6 goals each at this point) to let the Centre Backs have a go up front.

Obviously I feel bad that some of his players felt disheartened due to the result. However I have always distilled in my team that they should treat the game as if it's 0-0 at all times. He also never asked for mercy during the game and seemed like a good sport about the result at the final whistle. Had he asked I probably would have told my players to go easy on them from that point.

So AITA for letting the score reach 19-1?

Update: So judging from the replies there seems to be quite a large cultural split on this. Most of the Brits think I'm NTA, whilst a good portion of Americans think I'm TA. I think next time I'll probably bring the subs on sooner and swap players positions more. However I don't agree with telling the kids to not give 100% and just pass the ball about, as this seems more disrespectful to the opposition imo.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (15f) sister (21f) is angry because I called her engagement ritual dumb.

So my sister is going to get engaged to her boyfriend (23m) soon. Yesterday she was telling me and our cousin (17f) how her bf is going to propose. I forget the whole process because it sounded so unnecessarily complicated... basically she's picking out a few types of rings that she finds acceptable, then sending out her BFF to monitor the boyfriend and make sure he gets a ring that's not under a certain price and standard. She also said she would break up with her bf if he came back with a wrong color, type of ring or whatever. Our cousin agreed with everything, but I thought to myself that's pretty stupid. I'm vocal about my opinions, so I asked my sister why not go shopping with her boyfriend directly instead of sending a friend to control him. I mean, since this is so important to her. She said I don't understand engagement and that it's important for a man to surprise a woman. So I told her, well shouldn't you be okay with whatever he picks if it's supposed to be a surprise. She laughed and said men are like pets, they don't understand such things unless you train them. I asked her why would you marry a pet, and she got really angry with me and told me off because I was acting like an annoying kid. So I felt hurt and called her whole engagement dumb. I kind of regret saying that because now she won't talk to me, only through our parents. They're already asking us what's wrong and telling us to apologize to each other. Should I say I'm sorry even though I still disagree with her opinions?

What do you guys think is right?

tl;dr: I got into a fight with my sister over her plan for engagement, now she's acting out by not talking to me. How should we make up?

I think you're pandering to the crowd a bit much

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

In kids' leagues, isn't there usually a mercy rule? When I played summer softball, teams would regularly get a mercy kill if the score gap got too high. Only problem was softball ended early after a certain number of innings not runs. By the time the fifth inning ended and the ump called it, it had been run up 32-3.

E: or is it up to the coach of the team getting stomped to throw in the towel

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 27, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

interesting, there's apparently a big split between US and UK commenters, where the US commenters are calling the OP an rear end in a top hat because they're familliar with "mercy" situations, whereas it's unknown in the UK.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

LadyPictureShow posted:

In kids' leagues, isn't there usually a mercy rule? When I played summer softball, teams would regularly get a mercy kill if the score gap got too high. Only problem was softball ended early after a certain number of innings not runs. By the time the fifth inning ended and the ump called it, it had been run up 32-3.

I'm not familiar with UK division names but to me "U15" would mean the kids are 15 and old enough to deal with losing a game? 15 would see a bit old to "mercy rule" even in the States I think, we never mercy'd in high school.

I kind of see his point though, like beating someone half-assing it seems pretty disrespectful versus "man we had to try really hard to win (by that much) over you guys!"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I've never heard of mercy situations in kid's sports. Wouldn't it be just as rude to tell the winning kids they weren't allowed to win as hard? That's kinda weird.

Also lol at the engagement ring ritual. She should tell that poor man what he was about to get himself into with bridezilla there.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

whereas it's unknown in the UK.

Oh, that's interesting. I had no clue it was apparently unique to the US.

That coach did say he subbed out his players and moved some around to try and ease up, so if the U.K. doesn't have a mercy rule :shrug:

Does ranking get brought up in the comments? Like are these kids #1 and the guys they beat dead last place?

E: also wondering if mercy rule is specific to baseball/softball, since it's not time-limited. If one team's crushing another that game would draaaaaag.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 27, 2019

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
A team that loses that bad would be losing that bad on the regular. This shouldn't have come as a surprise to them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

By highschool and up in the US its up to the loser to throw in the towel. This is almost absolutely never done since getting your rear end handed to you is still valuable training.

The coach winning 19-1 is dumb though because thats absolutely when you swap your benchwarmers in to see what talent they have and try out things youd only do in must win situations like no goalie formations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I had no clue it was apparently unique to the US.

That coach did say he subbed out his players and moved some around to try and ease up, so if the U.K. doesn't have a mercy rule :shrug:

Does ranking get brought up in the comments? Like are these kids #1 and the guys they beat dead last place?

E: also wondering if mercy rule is specific to baseball/softball, since it's not time-limited. If one team's crushing another that game would draaaaaag.

at least the kids on the winning team get to feel cool pulling off some awesome offensive plays. i dont think hearing the coach say 'ease up' is going to really make a difference, and might even get them smack talking the losers.

then again as an all star athlete(like most goons), i grew up with Tough Love and Hard Work. Not like these kids after the great sissification.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Scathach posted:

I've never heard of mercy situations in kid's sports. Wouldn't it be just as rude to tell the winning kids they weren't allowed to win as hard? That's kinda weird.
A mercy rule is supposed to be "you're winning by so much let's just end the game" not "you're winning by so much, please stop trying." The first is fine, if reasonably implemented. It's essentially a forced forfeit where the losing team can just be called bad instead of cowards so they can preserve some dignity without having to be humiliated further on the field/court/whatever. Asking opponents to try less hard is unsporting and just makes everyone feel bad. The losers aren't going to feel better losing 13-1 than 19-1, and playing out the hopeless second half is just as frustrating if the other team is passing the ball all the time without scoring as if they actually score occasionally.

LadyPictureShow posted:

The potentially infinite length of a baseball/softball game definitely makes a mercy rule more worthwhile for logistical reasons, in addition to any ethical or sympathetic ones, in those sports, yeah.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 27, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for interrupting a woman who was giving a very sensitive speech to my class?

I am a high school student, and have an extremely strict, hardass teacher who can be a bit on the unfair side at times. She announced yesterday that she was bringing a guest speaker to our classroom, a woman (and close friend of hers) who tours schools giving speeches on the dangers of drunk and distracted driving. This woman lost her young daughter in a drunk driving accident and is a severe burn victim, and my teacher told us ahead of time that her presentation will be an extremely emotional one, as she will describe the accident she experienced in detail.

My teacher stated that we all need to be on our very best behavior, and treat her with the highest of respect. She established that there will be no interruptions of her presentation tolerated; so that means no going to the bathroom and no tardy arrivals. She stated that she was locking the door at the start of class, and that any students who didn’t have the respect to show up on time would have to sit outside the duration of the period.

I obviously planned on arriving on time to that class (as I always do), but was called up to the office near the end of the preceding period, and by the time I was let go we were already a good 5-10 minutes into the next period. I hustled over to my classroom and knocked on the door, and through the window I was met by a huge scowl from my teacher, a shake of her head, and a gesture to wait outside. I gestured to the office, trying to indicate that’s why I was late, but she turned her head away and ignored me. The woman giving the speech didn’t notice me, as she was very invested in her presentation. At this point, she was talking at length about the morning before she got into the crash, detailing emotionally the last few hours she spent with her daughter alive.

It was quite cold, stormy, and unpleasant outside, and I really wanted to get in. I understand my teacher’s rule, but think that it’s horribly unfair someone should have to sit outside in the cold if they have a legitimate excuse for being late. I started knocking very hard and loud against the door, rapping against the window, calling out, “Hey, I’m out here! Can someone let me in?”, and waving my arms around in front of the window. About 30 seconds later, the woman stops and says, “I think there’s a student out there. Can someone let him in?” Someone ran over and finally let me in, and my teacher flashed me another gigantic scowl. Fairly soon after, the lady continued her speech, and things went smoothly the rest of the period.

At the end of the class, my teacher scolded me for not listening and interrupting the speech giver, and gave me a detention even after I explained that I had an excuse for being late. I’m considering telling my story to the Vice Principal and fighting this detention. AITA?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

When I was in high school we had a basketball game where we won 138 to 13. It made us feel great because we really weren't a good team (like we had a sub 20% win rate), they were just really, really bad.

The other team probably felt awful, but we got a great story that everyone remembers almost 20 years later.

Also, it's not like we were just trying to run up the score, we had our C-team in for the entire second half. If soccer dude left his best in all game then that's kinda lovely, but if not, well sometimes bad games happen. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Paul ReiserFS posted:

When do you think you’re gonna use it?

Direct hit