Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MechaX posted:

The only thing that could make this better is if instead of the reprise version, we got the legit vocal version of Revolutions when Wolf Burglar shows up to stop the seppuku

If their intent was to make me more invested in a goddamn Hilidibrand quest than the MSQ, they definitely succeeded

:yeah:

TheHeadSage posted:

Is the evil speedo wearing catboi involved in the alliance beast tribe quest?

He has a new speedo, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He has a new speedo, but yes.

Excellent, I look forward to foiling his antics tonight when I do the quest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the smart of war

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Phone posted:

the smart of war

:allears:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Alright, finally got done with the Hildi quest.

Yep, definitely typical Greg; I don't even think he's ever even brought up his ability (intentionally or no) to travel through the Rift until now. But over all, I actually kind of ended up liking Shigure towards the end, Wolf Burglar is cool (and I think the only somewhat notable Lupin character they've ever had in the game), and the new dance is some powerful stuff.

Still absolutely blows my mind that this can be a better lead-in to ShB than anything we've seen so far, so I'm glad I played this last.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Look, are you gonna throw wide the gates or am I gonna have to keep calling this number? :colbert:

New shard, who dis?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

brand engager posted:

I cant get past the new story solo duty with scholar at i371 :rip:
tried spreading dots for the dps check the first try and then focusing down one target at a time for the attempts after

Just do something like Miasma 2 + Energy Drain + Broil II spam over and over and be willing to eat some damage if it'd require you to cancel a cast. I was able to finish it on an ilvl370ish AST without too much trouble.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I changed myself into a cat today.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Over There posted:

Good choice.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Over There posted:

I changed myself into a catfish today.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Over There posted:

Can't believe you'd go and become a hrothgar

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Just finished the Hildy quest.

DAMMIT GREG!

Also, I guess this is a good way to explain how we'll end up running into Hildibrand in the First.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

Hildy finale was great, and definitely redeemed itself after I had some misgivings about the first StB Hildy quest.

/mmambo is also extremely good and powerful.

The ongoing drunken breakdown in NN of a long-time mentor upon her realization that mentor roulette was locked behind Hildy, and her visceral hatred of the questline that goes way beyond any Eureka salt that has ever appeared in this thread, is also pretty entertaining. Unfortunately weird things are going on in Kugane shout so I don't have many good screengrabs.

you can make a chat filter just for NN and grab it from there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I kinda feel like 5.5 is going to involve the WoL/WoD learning how to use light and darkness to preserve the balance, and then become the Warrior of Dawn ala Final Fantasy V.

But that's probably a bit ambitious of a theory to make before Shadowbringers comes out.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I got bored of WoW so I started playing this and there are seemingly a million systems going on but so far so good. Anything not covered by the OP that would be good to know for a new player who's familiar with MMOs in general? I started a GLD to transition to PLD and get the sweet tank queues.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PneumonicBook posted:

I got bored of WoW so I started playing this and there are seemingly a million systems going on but so far so good. Anything not covered by the OP that would be good to know for a new player who's familiar with MMOs in general? I started a GLD to transition to PLD and get the sweet tank queues.
This video is sort of meme-y at the start but it does have good tips for explaining systems that are analogous to WoW's stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFNbB6cyY4

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

PneumonicBook posted:

Once you get to Ishgard, trade that Paladin for a Dark Knight so you can see the best quests in the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MechaX posted:

Alright, finally got done with the Hildi quest.

Yep, definitely typical Greg; I don't even think he's ever even brought up his ability (intentionally or no) to travel through the Rift until now. But over all, I actually kind of ended up liking Shigure towards the end, Wolf Burglar is cool (and I think the only somewhat notable Lupin character they've ever had in the game), and the new dance is some powerful stuff.

Still absolutely blows my mind that this can be a better lead-in to ShB than anything we've seen so far, so I'm glad I played this last.

Yeah I was both laughing my rear end of and going "HUH" at the end

Well I guess him being an interdimensional rift traveller is canon now! Did not see that coming but...gently caress, it's Hildibrand quests, you can't really be surprised by anything anymore

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Assuming you don't mind grinding 20 levels to catch up to the MSQ.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Assuming you don't mind grinding 20 levels to catch up to the MSQ.

Popping dungeons is pretty alright to level fairly quick,.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

PneumonicBook posted:

In addition to the aforementioned video -

1) The story's pretty good. Some skip cutscenes; I don't recommend doing so. If you like RPGs and fantasy and fantasy international relations, it's a good watch.

2) Take your time. There's lots of good content. Sidequests become especially worthwhile after 50. Hildibrand (level 50, then again at 60 and at 70) is wholesome and fun.

3) If you have questions, either ask here or Google around. Most questions have already been answered here or on reddit, and there are item/quest/etc. database sites (Garland Tools, Gamers Escape, et al).

4) Keep an eye out for class changes coming in late June/early July with the expansion. We should get some news in mid-May.

5) If you're around at the time, doing the holiday events is usually worthwhile. Unlike WoW, they change year after year. Don't worry if you can't use the rewards at the time (like if it's a housing item). Keep them, as you might find them useful later.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I'd also add once you've unlocked golden saucer to do at least the mini cactpot (all 3 tickets) every day and jumbo cactpot weekly. The golden saucer has some of the best cosmetic stuff in the game and it's a long haul grind to get everything.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
You know, if you think about it, Greg was the last boss of the expansion.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I actually really liked the MSQ this time around, but it’s not perfect by any means.

The estinian thing was really weird, and the best part of it was realizing he dragged me all the way back to Ishgard. Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

As for the lead in, I really really like what they’re doing here. It feels really confusing on purpose. Normally, the WoL doesn’t do any of the thinking, but suddenly you’re in a situation with weird poo poo going on, and all of the people you normally depend on for figuring things out are comatose in the next room over or in a cave far away with no answers. You try to soldier on the way you have been, but it goes almost catastrophically wrong, which is also kind of the entire theme of shadowbringer: if you keep doing what you have been doing, you will destroy everything. Everyone you interact with in the end has no idea of what’s really going on, and then suddenly a guy shows up who has answers. You’re doing what he says because you are confused and alone, and what you really want is for your friends to come back so you aren’t confused and alone anymore.

Also, my favorite part of this story patch is it’s directly pulling you away from a bunch of really muddy plot points that don’t actually have anything to do with you. The WoL isn’t on the source to end all war and fight the nazis. You’re there to do what hydaelyn needs done on her behalf. It’s a huge pulling back and taking the story to a bigger picture mode, and I really dig it.

Veritonsils
Sep 14, 2007

For. Eh. Ver.
I loved this latest beat on the MSQ. Estinien being my hero once again made me laugh pretty hard. I hope I get to save his rear end again at some point because our little Dragoon rivalry demands it.

Also I hope we get more chances to pose in cool arenas like this. Some of the most fun I've had in /gpose all expansion.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Rand Brittain posted:

"Throw wide the gates" sounds more like a spell incantation than an actual thing he wants the person he's talking to do do. Thus when he says "Why won't you open?", he isn't talking to the WoL; he's metaphorically kicking his car because it won't start. "Stupid gates! Why aren't you thrown wide?"

(Also nothing he says before you can actually see him really makes sense as something he's trying to communicate; he's just repeating the Soul Snatchem spell over and over trying to find the one person he actually wants.)

I hope this is canonically what the explanation will be, because this sounds fairly reasonable and would extinguish some of my irritation on the matter. Still not a fan of not having any build up with Estinien, but whatever.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
To me it's been fairly obvious that it's a spell incantation. Heck, someone in the thread pointed out it's similarities to the one that Rofel/Loffery said in FFT when he sent your party to Murond.

I would be surprised if that wasn't the gist of the canon explanation and being able to hear him was some weird side effect of the spell.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

EponymousMrYar posted:

I would be surprised if that wasn't the gist of the canon explanation and being able to hear him was some weird side effect of the spell.

It's probably the Echo going into overdrive trying to warn you that you're about to be hijacked and transported to the first shard.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TheHeadSage posted:

It's probably the Echo going into overdrive trying to warn you that you're about to be hijacked and transported to the first shard.

None of the other Scions have the Echo and they also heard the voice (I think, might need to review the cutscenes).

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

None of the other Scions have the Echo and they also heard the voice (I think, might need to review the cutscenes).

You're uh, kind of the only one who went unconscious that has the echo tho?

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Tashilicious posted:

You're uh, kind of the only one who went unconscious that has the echo tho?

IIRC, WoL is the only one with echo that was called though? Arenvald and Krile weren't called.
Still took a lot more to call us successfully, though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I assume at the very least that the Echo is protecting you from being pulled over like the others.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Manderville time!
Important memories of my son:
1. His Birth
2. The many time in which I have savagely owned him

As weak as it started, pretty strong conclusion on multiple fronts.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Veotax posted:

I assume at the very least that the Echo is protecting you from being pulled over like the others.

a blue lives matter sticker in your rear window can also do that

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I don't really have any hot spicy takes on the MSQ, but I just wanted to say that I was so loving happy that the first person I see after waking up from gate-mans trip was my gorgeous elf husband :allears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

On the subject of Hildy, I'm surprised there was no follow-up on the creepy potato gently caress that's been stalking Nashu for like five years other than him hiding in the background of cutscenes. Seems a little weird for them to call attention to him and then do nothing with it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

somepartsareme posted:

this is what actually happens when you use a fantasia

To be an insane lore pedant, it's actually not - the real answer is much weirder. Drinking a fantasia apparently like, opens your third eye and lets you see yourself in reality as your idealized version of yourself.

Yes this means everyone else canonically sees you as whatever your original race was I guess

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Countblanc posted:

To be an insane lore pedant, it's actually not - the real answer is much weirder. Drinking a fantasia apparently like, opens your third eye and lets you see yourself in reality as your idealized version of yourself.

Yes this means everyone else canonically sees you as whatever your original race was I guess

So you mean the npcs were just seeing me as a lala and NOT just admiring my crotch?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The allied beast quests made me finally shell out the gil and spend the time on a decent swimsuit glam, I hope you're happy yoship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

brand engager posted:

I cant get past the new story solo duty with scholar at i371 :rip:
tried spreading dots for the dps check the first try and then focusing down one target at a time for the attempts after
All the people I saw having issues with that fight tried it on healers or tanks - I did it on RDM also with gear around 370 and it didn't even occur to me that it could be challenging, might want to try it on SMN if you have gear for it.

I like how you can sleepwalk through most duties and occasionally there's one that just kicks your rear end because eg. the wrong kill order gets you or your NPC buddies killed, there's attacks which actually do a lot of damage or there's a DPS check out of nowhere :v:

The other day I did the level 54 SAM quest on the ship on my alt and apparently it's somewhat infamous? I couldn't even remember having issues with that quest before, but the samurai with the PLD combo owned me twice before I managed to beat it with the Echo of Shame. I do remember the level 60 quest being near impossible with actual HW leveling gear and trivial with level 60 gear, so that was the first thing I checked - but with an average item level of 126 or so I didn't think that was the issue (Sohm Al drops are item level 130 and the crafted level 54 stuff is 133).