Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Tibalt posted:

Edit: I considered making a "Anyway Tinder is where my wife finds her playmates" :smug: joke but I couldn't figure out a way to do it so that it was both tasteful and clearly a joke so fill it in yourself
It’s okay, I still laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Lightning Knight posted:

That’s not nearly as widespread or accepted as birtherism was on the right tho.
Also birtherism was based on racism.

That's kind of a big part of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

InsertPotPun posted:

Also birtherism was based on racism.

That's kind of a big part of it.

And insisting the Jewish candidate must be secretly wealthy and have foreign ties isn't?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s amazing that the right couldn’t take a victory for one day without just going full-bore demented fascist in plain sight.

https://twitter.com/thedweck/status/1110727132156563456?s=21

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A member of the GOP congress quoted Hitler and hypocrites go to hell according to Jesus.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Otteration posted:

Please don't tred tax:

:3:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

At this point anyone who legit believes AOC is a flavor of the month should just shut the gently caress up and sit the gently caress down. This is exactly what I want from the people that represent me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Confounding Factor posted:

Attempted Russian meddling may very well have happened but if it did, it had no provable effect on the outcome of election. Meanwhile the Saudis, Qataris, Israelis, etc. pour millions upon millions into our political system and everyone pretends that's completely acceptable. That anyone thinks twitterbots and stupid memes can compete with that kind of influence is a reflection of the incurable stupidity of American politics.

you can't prove any of this and, frankly, the mere implication is a distraction from the important issues

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Yeah, a more apt comparison is Benghazi.

Yeah except the convictions, seized assets, lack of dead people and 1 investigation instead of 10 it's basically exactly the same.

Complaining about Mueller is the leftist equivalent of anti-vaxxing(way too many leftists are also anti-vax)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very true but i was listning to I don't speak german tonight and it was about the alt right and trump and many of them are abandoning him now because of the state of the union and blinking during the shutdown.

http://idontspeakgerman.libsyn.com/i-dont-speak-german-episode-12-fash-the-nation-and-donald-trump

bullshit. who else are they gonna vote for?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

(way too many leftists are also anti-vax)
Show me some. I think you're just projecting a label you hate onto another label you hate.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

It’s amazing that the right couldn’t take a victory for one day without just going full-bore demented fascist in plain sight.

https://twitter.com/thedweck/status/1110727132156563456?s=21
It's real depressing how many people are totally on board with discriminating against the disabled because they'd prefer not to ever interact with them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pardon? I mean the birthers were generally ridiculed by the American media, the Russiagate conspiracy was blared from the rooftops with deadly seriousness, and skeptics were ignored or accused of being Kremlin dupes.

Seems like you're having a hard time understanding that he's calling you a moron because the two things are very obviously nothing alike.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's real depressing how many people are totally on board with discriminating against the disabled because they'd prefer not to ever interact with them.

It’s even more depressing how many people are willing to vote for a party whose entire existence is designed around greed and performative cruelty.

I don’t remember who wrote The Cruelty is the Point article about the Trump admin, but it’s super good.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So are the Dems gonna be dumb enough to not give AOC a speech at the 2020 DNC? She feels like a shoe in at this point

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

So are the Dems gonna be dumb enough to not give AOC a speech at the 2020 DNC? She feels like a shoe in at this point

The dems are dumber than you can possibly think so the answer is probably no.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FactsAreUseless posted:

Show me some. I think you're just projecting a label you hate onto another label you hate.

One leftist having anti-vaxx opinions is too many. Sadly though anti-vaxx does somewhat exist outside of normal political belief circles.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Otteration posted:

Please don't tred tax:

Aww, lil snek is cute. Boop or no boop?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

aww, its a garter. it will poo poo and musk everywhere.

Oh! It is boopable then.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 27, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
loving hell that's awesome

:eyepop:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Attempted Russian meddling may very well have happened but if it did, it had no provable effect on the outcome of election. Meanwhile the Saudis, Qataris, Israelis, etc. pour millions upon millions into our political system and everyone pretends that's completely acceptable. That anyone thinks twitterbots and stupid memes can compete with that kind of influence is a reflection of the incurable stupidity of American politics.

Lol welcome to politics big guy. Good luck, it's a tricky world out there! Some people even walk and chew gum at the same time!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Glumslinger posted:

<AOC put on a beret and raises one hand in a fist>
"Fully automated luxury space communism now !"
<AOC becomes a committee co-chair, Omar keeps getting death threats/>

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FactsAreUseless posted:

Left wing people who are antivax? Ummm.... well in the USA it's more a right wing nutjob thing but say here in Australia, left wing activists up around Ballina and Byron Bay (NSW North Cost) are the core AntiVaxxers. Australian Vaccination Network is a prime example (They were forced to swtich to a name that clearly id'ed their AntiVaxxer stupidity so not sure what they are called now). The Greens Party was endemic with anti vax and anti flouride BS. Animal Justice Party are a also a group of left wing activits who hide their Antivaxx views behind animal welfare.

quote:

Sadly though anti-vaxx does somewhat exist outside of normal political belief circles.

Pretty muc this. Antivaxx is very much spread across all political outlooks and also different core "reasoning".

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
In the US antivaxx is very heavily associated with heavily left wing leaning areas. Ironically it overlaps pretty heavily with the conspiracy/infowars crowd which has, as a whole, gone from far left to far right.

Still, the parts of Oregon and Washington where it was by far the most popular (there are schools in Eugene with an over 70% non-vax rate) are predominately liberal af.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Yeah, a more apt comparison is Benghazi.

Don Jr. literally released an email that proved collusion. You are gaslighting folks. Barr and the WH are gaslighting folks.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In the US antivaxx is very heavily associated with heavily left wing leaning areas. Ironically it overlaps pretty heavily with the conspiracy/infowars crowd which has, as a whole, gone from far left to far right.

Still, the parts of Oregon and Washington where it was by far the most popular (there are schools in Eugene with an over 70% non-vax rate) are predominately liberal af.

antivax, anti nuclear, anti-gmo are all more hippie commune things than right wing, until more recently.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

mllaneza posted:

<AOC put on a beret and raises one hand in a fist>
"Fully automated luxury space communism now !"
<AOC becomes a committee co-chair, Omar keeps getting death threats/>

I feel rather confident in assuming that AOC is getting death threats as well. :sigh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

antivax, anti nuclear, anti-gmo are all more hippie commune things than right wing, until more recently.

Anti-vax has also been a thing for super religious evangelical homeschooling types and Christian Scientists (not to be confused with scientists who are Christians) for quite a while. PresterJane might be able to give some insight on the former if the folks she was forced to deal with were anti-vax but I believe the ultra-evangelicals were super against the MMR vaccine in general because it was researched and derived using cell lines originally sourced from fetal tissue (yes it is actually true that the research used aborted-fetal-tissue derived cell cultures, but iirc evangelicals would hype it up and make it sound like each dose was blended-baby).

Christian Scientists are actually a kinda funny case - they don't believe in disease as we know it and hold that prayer can heal anything so they didn't really see a need for vaccination. BUT their belief that prayer heals all extends to any ill effects caused by vaccines so the church is officially not anti-vax and its members are relatively immune to anti-vax propaganda as they believe you can just pray away any negative effects.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

What do you recommend? Legitimate question.

Lycus posted:

Is there a Twitter app that isn't poo poo?

TweetBot or Twitterific. Both have iOS and Mac apps. Not sure about windows/android.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shifty Pony posted:

Anti-vax has also been a thing for super religious evangelical homeschooling types and Christian Scientists (not to be confused with scientists who are Christians) for quite a while. PresterJane might be able to give some insight on the former if the folks she was forced to deal with were anti-vax but I believe the ultra-evangelicals were super against the MMR vaccine in general because it was researched and derived using cell lines originally sourced from fetal tissue (yes it is actually true that the research used aborted-fetal-tissue derived cell cultures, but iirc evangelicals would hype it up and make it sound like each dose was blended-baby).

The "MAH FREE SPEECH" case in Kentucky regarding an anti-vaxxer is based upon the fetal tissue claim. The kid is attending a private school in an area that has a sliiiight bit of an outbreak going on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anti-vac mostly goes into an orthogonal dimension of 'kook' whose political beliefs can be essentially a crapshoot, though I have a feeling they tend to fall in with the wingnut right as they age. The loudest demographics so far seem to be the wealthy and suburban housewives gone stir-crazy from Facebook.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The kids might just be alright:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1110712560465166341

quote:

One male classmate, seeing the name of his good friend Nicky Schmidt on the list, told her about it, and within 24 hours, dozens of girls had heard about the list.

Lists like this one had silently circulated among teen boys for generations, and it has happened in more recent years at Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, too, the students said. But it was happening now, in the era of the #MeToo movement. Women had been standing up to harassment in workplaces and on college campuses and the high school girls, who had been witnessing this empowerment, decided they weren’t going to let the issue slide.

They felt violated, objectified by classmates they considered their friends. They felt uncomfortable getting up to go to the bathroom, worried that the boys might be scanning them and “editing their decimal points,” said Lee Schwartz, one of the other senior girls on the list.

“Knowing that my closest friends were talking to me and hanging out with me but under that, silently numbering me, it definitely felt like a betrayal,” Schwartz said. “I was their friend, but I guess also a number.”

But there is power in numbers, too. Dozens of senior girls decided to speak up to the school administration and to their male classmates, demanding not only disciplinary action in response to the list but a school-wide reckoning about the toxic culture that allowed it to happen.

“It was the last straw, for us girls, of this ‘boys will be be boys’ culture,” Behbehani said. “We’re the generation that is going to make a change.”

That same Monday, a group of girls reported the list to an administrator, who encouraged the students not to talk about it around school, Schmidt said. The next day, the girls learned that after an investigation, school officials decided to discipline one male student with in-school detention for one day, which would not show up on his record.

Unsatisfied with the disciplinary action, Schmidt texted about 15 girls she knew, and told them to tell all of their friends to show up at the school’s main office the next day during lunch, “to tell them we feel unsafe in this environment and we are tired of this toxicity,” Schmidt wrote in her text.

About 40 senior girls showed up, packing into an assistant principal’s office as Schmidt read a statement she had written.

“We want to know what the school is doing to ensure our safety and security,” Schmidt said. “We should be able to learn in an environment without the constant presence of objectification and misogyny.”

The girls and administrators agreed that they should have a large meeting with the male students in the program, including the boys who created and circulated the list. That Friday, on International Women’s Day, almost all of the students in the IB program — about 80 students — met in a large conference room for what was supposed to be a 45-minute meeting during fifth period.

Instead, the meeting lasted two and a half hours. Several girls delivered personal and impassioned speeches describing not only their presence on the list, but also their previous experiences with sexual abuse, harassment, and objectification, both inside the school and outside of it.

He [the boy who started the list] recalled coming up with the list — which began in the 5 range for girls perceived to be average-looking — during a brief conversation with a friend during a fifth-period English class last year. He said he never distributed the list to anyone else in the grade, and he didn’t know how it began circulating earlier this month. But he took responsibility for what he said was a haphazard, “stupid decision.”

“When you have a culture where it’s just normal to talk about that, I guess making a list about it doesn’t seem like such a terrible thing to do, because you’re just used to discussing it,” he said in an interview. “I recognize that I’m in a position in this world generally where I have privilege. I’m a white guy at a very rich high school. It’s easy for me to lose sight of the consequences of my actions and kind of feel like I’m above something.”

While he regrets making the list, he said he was grateful that the girls spoke up. “It’s just a different time and things really do need to change,” he said. “This memory is not going to leave me anytime soon.”

Admin tried to sweep it under the rug and the kids said gently caress that and forced the issue. Now the seniors are giving speeches to lower grades about toxic masculinity to keep it from happening again.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shifty Pony posted:

Admin tried to sweep it under the rug and the kids said gently caress that and forced the issue. Now the seniors are giving speeches to lower grades about toxic masculinity to keep it from happening again.

Good for these kids. poo poo, a decade ago my high school wouldn't even allow a gay-straight alliance to form. I wonder how that lawsuit turned out...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm sure what they learned is "Next time don't get caught." This seems like yet another misapplication of 'toxic masculinity' when just plain old misogyny will do.
It's supposed to be acts and statements that reinforce harmful, counter-productive and unrealistic ideals of masculinity, but 90% of the time seems to be used for just anything misogynistic, or worst case 'a male does a thing I don't like'. (and about 70% of the time either is or is shortly accompanied with reinforcing toxic masculinity with 'man up and get over it' and so forth)

That said, 'don't do this poo poo' is a good place to start. The rest of the speeches are almost certainly going to be tuned out, but actual consequences speak louder.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Taerkar posted:

I feel rather confident in assuming that AOC is getting death threats as well. :sigh:

She, unsurprisingly, has been, to the point that her staff has been getting training in risk assessment. It's absolutely heinous, and I'm glad she hasn't given them much ammunition or attention other than tweeting about how she's been forwarding threatening calls to the proper authorities.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

LeeMajors posted:

It’s even more depressing how many people are willing to vote for a party whose entire existence is designed around greed and performative cruelty.

I don’t remember who wrote The Cruelty is the Point article about the Trump admin, but it’s super good.
It was Adam Serwer in the Atlantic. Between it, David Roth's excellent January 2019 article "You Can't Get There From Here" in Deadspin, and Alex Pareene's "The Long, Lucrative Right-Wing Grift Is Blowing Up In Its Face", you have the how and why we got here, how Trump operates, how his base works, and why it's near-impossible to fix things through :decorum:

David Roth posted:

He believes the bit about the smugglers and the duct tape because he believes it, and because he believes it now he will never stop believing it. In the last days of the shutdown, Trump and members of his cabinet explained, with the blithe confidence God gives only to people who have never considered the possibility that they might be wrong, that furloughed government employees could simply “work something out” with their local grocers and debt-collection agencies. When he says something confusing or stupid or glaringly wrong—something that can’t be explained by any existing set of facts or system of beliefs, something that even the embalmed-looking juche vendors on his favorite television channels haven’t dared put up for sale—it’s because he believes it.

This is also true, and maybe even especially true, when Trump is obviously lying. Even before he banged his own personal left turn and began his full-tilt drive into the desert of cognitive decline, Trump was not an especially nuanced or strategic person. His mind is not what it was, and at its peak it was more of a Magic 8 Ball than a supercomputer. He can’t learn anything because he can’t listen to other people if they aren’t speaking from inside a television; he can’t remember what he hears there because he can’t really care unless it’s about him.

Alex Pareene posted:

If you want to understand intra-GOP warfare, the decision-making process of our president, the implosion of the Republican healthcare plan, and the rest of the politics of the Trump era, you don’t need to know about Russian espionage tactics, the state of the white working class, or even the beliefs of the “alt-right.” You pretty much just need to be in semi-regular contact with a white, reasonably comfortable, male retiree. We are now ruled by men who think and act very much like that ordinary man you might know, and if you want to know why they believe so many strange and terrible things, you can basically blame the fact that a large and lucrative industry is dedicated to lying to them.

Now, we have a president whose media diet defines his worldview, interests, and priorities. He is not one of the men, like most of those Tea Party members of Congress, whose existing worldview determined his media diet—who sealed himself off from disagreeable media sources. He is, in fact, something far more dangerous: a confused old man who believes what the TV tells him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1110757777557860354

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HobbitGrease posted:

It was Adam Serwer in the Atlantic. Between it, David Roth's excellent January 2019 article "You Can't Get There From Here" in Deadspin, and Alex Pareene's "The Long, Lucrative Right-Wing Grift Is Blowing Up In Its Face", you have the how and why we got here, how Trump operates, how his base works, and why it's near-impossible to fix things through :decorum:

Exactly how much longer do we have to deal with the Fox News Grandpas before they all die off, at least in statistical terms?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If I'm remembering correctly the average age of their viewership is late 60's to early 70's. Granted they tend to be the ones that live longer because the early deaths are mostly weeded out by that point but... another 10 years? Assuming they don't get replaced by the late 50's to early 60's crowd.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Exactly how much longer do we have to deal with the Fox News Grandpas before they all die off, at least in statistical terms?

I'd spitball it at another decade or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dammerung posted:

I'd spitball it at another decade or so.

They’re being replaced by those Covington kids. Conservatism isn’t going anywhere. Privilege will always feast on classism and racism.