Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

that thread gives me power and makes my j/o crystal glow a new color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys
Love too barely sleep for 3 days :peanut:

It has positives and negatives

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pre-op bebop posted:

Love too barely sleep for 3 days :peanut:

It has positives and negatives

melatonin maybe?

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Chokes McGee posted:

melatonin maybe?

That never did much for me, usually my typical night meds knock me out. I took ativan the other night and it didn't make me sleepy like it usually does so welp.

I'm hypo, it'll pass I'm sure. :)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Been doing well this week and keeping my chin up. Keep getting passed over on positions and I'm frustrated af after looking for work for 6-8 months. Really hate my job.

My ADHD test is scheduled for mid-April. Will be nice to have an answer.

My family got into my cousins digital accounts. That was nice to be the primary contributor to that.

Also went on a date yesterday! I still get sad about my ex but now I'm dealing with post-break up blues, which got super put off for grieving.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pre-op bebop posted:

That never did much for me, usually my typical night meds knock me out. I took ativan the other night and it didn't make me sleepy like it usually does so welp.

I'm hypo, it'll pass I'm sure. :)

yeah, I’ve been there. hope you even out! nap a few times a day if you can get your brain to settle down it helps me

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Been doing well this week and keeping my chin up. Keep getting passed over on positions and I'm frustrated af after looking for work for 6-8 months. Really hate my job.

My ADHD test is scheduled for mid-April. Will be nice to have an answer.

My family got into my cousins digital accounts. That was nice to be the primary contributor to that.

Also went on a date yesterday! I still get sad about my ex but now I'm dealing with post-break up blues, which got super put off for grieving.

woo date! gl hf

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

this is all well and good in theory, but in practice bad therapists have far more power than this. i was handcuffed by police who came to my house, driven to a mental institution, and then informed that either i would "voluntarily" commit myself or they would involuntarily commit me, which would entail going before a judge after 72 hours (really, it would have been 5 days at least, as this was a friday and the weekend didn't count). i chose voluntary, because why would a judge trust a teenager over the word of a well-connected licensed therapist? i was able to get out after a week that way, once i finally saw a doctor who realized that i wasn't suicidal. at no point before or during this was i ever a suicide risk, i never even cut myself the way that so many of my classmates did, it just took the word of a therapist that i was a suicide risk to get me locked up. once you're in, you can't even deny the official diagnosis, because you have to be on your best behavior in order to have any prayer of leaving or even get your shoelaces back.

Minors are treated differently than adults.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

mekyabetsu posted:

In a similar vein, I’ll often be reading a book, start getting paranoid that I missed some minor but important plot point a few paragraphs prior, then go back and read from the beginning of the paragraph/page/chapter/etc. I’ll literally do this five or six times before I’m fully “satisfied” that I completely absorbed the material, and I can go on. This behavior extends to games and movies. Just replace going back a few pages with reloading a save game, rewinding the movie, etc.

This always seems like textbook OCD or ADHD to me, but apparently it isn’t, because every doctor and therapist I’ve brought it up with attributes it to generalized anxiety. I can see how that might be the case, but sometimes I feel like my doctor doesn’t give this symptom the attention it deserves. It really makes enjoying any story-based media nearly impossible :(.

Nae! posted:

Just out of curiosity, how did you two do on reading comprehension tests when you were young? I could see how whiffing an important test early on would turn into a life-long fear of missing material, but that's just a wild guess and I'm not a psychologist. Still, it's always worth considering how little events from your childhood can cause big ripples that chase you for a long time.
I did well at reading comprehension tests, it was a purely irrational belief based on over-scrupulousness.

Religion also interacted weirdly with OCD, like I convinced myself I had promised God that I would do arbitrary things and feared hell if I failed.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 10:31 on Mar 27, 2019

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Luckily almost all my OCD symptoms dropped off hugely around college. I'd like to credit weed but it might have just been aging. Now I just have anxiety and depression.

(ps thank you for this thread. Had a super freakout the other day and in desperation clicked this and reading it calmed me down.)

platzapS has issued a correction as of 10:36 on Mar 27, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Zyla posted:

welp i hosed up and started reading the climate change thread while in a depressive spiral and whoa boy i barely see the point of living anymore

im pretty convinced nothing good is ever going to happen to me again

Yeah I've had that a couple of times. In general I seem pretty up/down. Can be fine one day and feel normal-ish then the next day the complete opposite. I thought I was getting better but now I'm not so sure.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I stopped going online for a while, I turned off the news and it really helped my perspective tremendously.

When you're constantly seeing the worst of humanity piped into your eyeballs from a bright white screen, it can be really detrimental because you start to think that everyone is a massive piece of poo poo playing a zero sum game.

While there are literal sociopaths in the highest seats of power around the globe, it feels like an abstraction when you dealing with the daily minutiae of your lives, especially with school, work and other obligations.

Of course it doesn't mean you should ignore the system, and in fact being active about the news is important to make informed decisions. It's key to go outside because you can engage with communities and make an impact where you can, when you can. Doing so will absolutely improve your state of mind. It's about striking a balance, and if you truly feel passionate about an issue, you should act on it in some way or manner, even down to the smallest tiniest contribution, because it absolutely matters. You don't have to lead the charge on everything.

There will be times where it is tough and it can feel hopeless, that's just the nature of our emotions. It ebbs and flows, as long as you remember that it is temporary and you can focus on the things that truly matter to you and are important to your values, as long as you remain honest to yourself. Be sure to always ask "Why am I being affected by this?" and open a more objective dialogue mentally rather than being critical of yourself. It takes practice do to this but it helps in the long run. If that doesn't work, talk to someone.

Processes like these take time.

Lastly, I'd like to say that it is important to carve out a little time for yourself, only just for yourself. Away from the internet, away from everything else. Just you and yourself alone. For example, I decided to do something new lately and that was to learn how to dance salsa and bachata. It keeps me sane, for real.

It's really the small things that make the biggest difference, and that should not be underestimated because it compounds. So if you are struggling, try to do something small. I wish you well in your endeavors.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lastgirl posted:

I stopped going online for a while, I turned off the news and it really helped my perspective tremendously.

When you're constantly seeing the worst of humanity piped into your eyeballs from a bright white screen, it can be really detrimental because you start to think that everyone is a massive piece of poo poo playing a zero sum game.

While there are literal sociopaths in the highest seats of power around the globe, it feels like an abstraction when you dealing with the daily minutiae of your lives, especially with school, work and other obligations.

Of course it doesn't mean you should ignore the system, and in fact being active about the news is important to make informed decisions. It's key to go outside because you can engage with communities and make an impact where you can, when you can. Doing so will absolutely improve your state of mind. It's about striking a balance, and if you truly feel passionate about an issue, you should act on it in some way or manner, even down to the smallest tiniest contribution, because it absolutely matters. You don't have to lead the charge on everything.

There will be times where it is tough and it can feel hopeless, that's just the nature of our emotions. It ebbs and flows, as long as you remember that it is temporary and you can focus on the things that truly matter to you and are important to your values, as long as you remain honest to yourself. Be sure to always ask "Why am I being affected by this?" and open a more objective dialogue mentally rather than being critical of yourself. It takes practice do to this but it helps in the long run. If that doesn't work, talk to someone.

Lastly, I'd like to say that it is important to carve out a little time for yourself, only just for yourself. Away from the internet, away from everything else. Just you and yourself alone. For example, I decided to do something new lately and that was to learn how to dance salsa and bachata. It keeps me sane, for real.

It's really the small things that make the biggest difference, and that should not be underestimated because it compounds. So if you are struggling, try to do something small. I wish you well in your endeavors.

lastgirl coming blazin in after the bastapocalypse with good rear end posts :hai:

e: added to resources post in thread

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Mar 27, 2019

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

missed u

welcome back

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Lastgirl posted:

heya :wave: :toot:

welcome back!

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Lastgirl posted:

smart brain :words:

agreed

it's not that "lol nothing matters" it's that everything matters including your life, and you shouldn't be afraid to love yourself. it's actually way worse when someone doesn't love themselves because god drat how much meanness and cruelty is born out of our own projected insecurities? the answer is a whole lot of it

in relation to this it's important to remember that the ultimate purpose of staying informed and engaging in politics should be love (both for ourselves and others) and not just wrapping your ego up in it or jacking off to your own cynicism. why get upset about policies and power structures that harm people if you don't love people? why get upset about the climate/ecosystem getting all hosed up if you don't love the earth? and if you genuinely believe that there is no hope and we're doomed, why not pull the emotional equivalent of a "gently caress you got mine" and just enjoy your life?

during my bastacation i realized i had internalized some less than compassionate "heh at least i'm not DUMB like the chuds/libs/musk fans/etc" attitude and turns out it's unhealthy to make positive perceptions of yourself hinge upon negative perceptions of others. who knew??

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

succ posted:

Anyone have success switching careers after college? I'm 30 but I really hate my current line of work and it requires more education to advance or get higher pay.

I just don't know where to start.

What sort of work are you in now and what sort of work do you think you'll like doing?

My wife went from doing low level book keeping to being a nurse at 30, but we were living in a place where our house cost like 25 grand and we could survive on a newspaper reporter's wages while she went back to school.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
one of the big big things I had to work on coming out of the hospital was denigrating others to make myself feel superior. it’s a learned reflex of childhood abuse and part of sympathizing with the abuser in order to take back your power. it’s really, extraordinarily difficult bc my primary defense was “gently caress you I do this better” followed by “must hold myself to a ridiculously high ever shifting standard or I’ve failed.”

there are still some dumb sons of bitches in this world and I’m not backing off that opinion, but that doesn’t mean everyone is, and I don’t have to train until I’m some sort of nietzchean uberman.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

A good post. Thank you, and welcome back.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Chokes McGee posted:

“gently caress you I do this better” followed by “must hold myself to a ridiculously high ever shifting standard or I’ve failed.”

how dare you quote from my diary

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

coincidentally i put the "this is chvrches" mix up on spotify (never really listened to them before) today while I was working. glad the lastgirl signal was lit sufficiently and they came back for at least a little bit. neat

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Eat This Glob posted:

coincidentally i put the "this is chvrches" mix up on spotify (never really listened to them before) today while I was working. glad the lastgirl signal was lit sufficiently and they came back for at least a little bit. neat

it’s just an apricot in front of a spotlight op

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

it’s just an apricot in front of a spotlight op

:prepop:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

haha lol this owns

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
when i was in elementary school i would have panic attacks dreading going to the dentist so they gave me some bullshit sedative thing. I remember being so loving excited, I asked my mom if I could take one that night just to try it out

drugs just fascinate me. They always have. literally any kind it doesnt matter. sobriety sucks rear end

This is why I'm such a bad poster

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Low Desert Punk posted:

when i was in elementary school i would have panic attacks dreading going to the dentist so they gave me some bullshit sedative thing. I remember being so loving excited, I asked my mom if I could take one that night just to try it out

drugs just fascinate me. They always have. literally any kind it doesnt matter. sobriety sucks rear end

This is why I'm such a bad poster

Nona alt account spotted

They do the same thing to me. like I really want to try mdma at some point in my life but I’m 99% certain with my current meds I would end up violently making GBS threads myself and dying from sera robin syndrome. it’s a pity so many of them have horrible addictions and side effects attached to them

I’m also a former binge drinker so maybe addictive pleasure seeking isn’t the best of ideas

e: Really, autocorrect? Sera Robin?

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Mar 28, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
These new meds seem to have significantly lowered my anxiety and even curbed my suicide ideation but also it appears I'm completely unable to focus on mundane tasks which is bad because that's my whole job.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

These new meds seem to have significantly lowered my anxiety and even curbed my suicide ideation but also it appears I'm completely unable to focus on mundane tasks which is bad because that's my whole job.

Let me guess. SSRI? that's the one side effect of the combo I'm on, I feel super detached and sometimes my memory randomly craps out on me and I have to wait for a boot cycle to get it back

I'm glad you medically kept up after yourself friendo I was worried about you last time you posted here :)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sera robin syndrome is apparently a thing that turns you into a dentist

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

Let me guess. SSRI? that's the one side effect of the combo I'm on, I feel super detached and sometimes my memory randomly craps out on me and I have to wait for a boot cycle to get it back

I'm glad you medically kept up after yourself friendo I was worried about you last time you posted here :)

I'm on prozac, but I was also on welbutrin, which i've swapped out for nortriptyline.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I’m so glad I finally made the time to go back to regular therapy sessions. Finding a therapist that you actually click with and offers genuine support and advice is priceless. I was talking about how I hate discussing my alcohol use with people because every time I bring it up, even if I’m only drinking rarely, they treat it like a huge deal, as though I’m an imminent danger to myself and I immediately need to quit my job and check into a 30 day in-patient rehab, and...

Her: “How many people have actually said that to you?”

Me: “Umm... uh...... poo poo... okay, I can’t think of anyone...”

Her: :lol:

All too often, I imagine that people are against me, and I make up events in my head to justify my paranoia. She’s good at getting me to take that moment to step back and examine things rationally.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
hmm weird i seem to have crashed and am now feeling incredibly angry and miserable again. Interesting. Well, like my doctor said, I guess I should just give this poo poo some time to level out!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

How am I supposed to be mentally stable when the president isn't?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

I broke off a relationship this morning. I work with her so it will be weird but gently caress it everything will work out. thankfully I can find escape in the glorious depths of cspam

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

I need to get back into therapy, Zoloft alone isn’t cutting it

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Burn Zone posted:

I need to get back into therapy, $drug alone isn’t cutting it

:same:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I've been looking for a therapist too, and recently found out my current psychiatrist doesn't accept my new insurance so I have to find a new one of those too. How likely is a new shrink to want to start messing with my meds?

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Goon Danton posted:

I've been looking for a therapist too, and recently found out my current psychiatrist doesn't accept my new insurance so I have to find a new one of those too. How likely is a new shrink to want to start messing with my meds?
If you’re not doing okay, a new psychiatrist might suggest different meds or changing dosage on your current meds, but if you tell them you don’t want to change your meds right now, that should be the end of it. The worst they could do is not renew your current prescription. I don’t think they would do that unless you’re unstable or uncooperative.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Goon Danton posted:

A psychologist? They can't. A psychiatrist? They'll probably try. If you want your meds and your therapy to be separate, do what I did and see a psychologist while working with your primary care provider for medication. This works best when you're comfortable with the medication you're on and don't foresee yourself making changes, but I have changed medication through PCPs in the past and been better off for it.

But, as always, everyone's experience is different, so if you try this and it doesn't work, it's not the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

the president is a septuagenarian Fox News grandpa with an apparent attention span of 10 seconds. the fact that you have enough self reflection to realize your mood at any point means you’re probably more mentally stable than him.

just work on getting better. I see a lot of people be down on themselves (I mean gently caress I’m king of it) in group therapy. A girl was trying to go to college after struggling for quite a few years but her mom was fighting her on it because it would be too much stress and she’d “never succeed anyway.” It struck me in a pretty hard way so I just said she should decide for herself what success meant because it’s an undefined term anyway.

it’s something that stuck with me because it’s something I needed to hear too. Often it’s far more important to just focus on getting better than realizing how far you are from where you feel like you need to be to be happy. or even just not lovely all the time. it’s how I’ve identified things that are actively hurting me in that regard and has let me try to fix them