Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Push El Burrito posted:

Imagine how the Wicked Witch smelled.

Canonically she was made of sugar, which is why she melted when Dorothy threw water on her.

e: shameful snipe

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1109151295615557639

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Imagine how the Wicked Witch smelled.

ewiley posted:

Canonically she was made of sugar, which is why she melted when Dorothy threw water on her.

Maybe she just had to bathe in nonpolar solvents like benzene

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Clearly everyone who cuts a deal with the cops in America's fair and even-handed justice system is unmistakably guilty because there's no reason a black man might be worried about being framed in a trial in America

Don't want people to think you're guilty, maybe don't admit to guilt?

Of course only the rich, famous and privileged have to be so concerned with optics over guilt.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
May is in power because she literally bribes insane terrorists from Northern Ireland with billions of pounds.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

that seems really dumb and bad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LostRook posted:

Don't want people to think you're guilty, maybe don't admit to guilt?

He didn't admit to guilt though.

Innocent people take plea deals all the time in America because our justice system is a joke that prefers railroading people to make numbers over finding the truth, and this wasn't even a plea deal because the cops didn't even have enough real evidence (that they didn't fake) to get that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Welcome to Britain!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ague Proof posted:

May is in power because she literally bribes insane terrorists from Northern Ireland with billions of pounds.

It's great that this is a real thing that happened and not something that would be considered outlandish for the UK equivalent of a Tom Clancy novel.

What the gently caress is wrong with the UK.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Skex posted:

The way she was treated by the Media, the Democrats and in particular the Clinton's was loving horrid. The general public attitudes regarding sexual harassment were well I was going to say less evolved but honestly they were poo poo, the mainstream "woke" position at the time was that it was no big deal that of course a young upwardly mobile intern would be willing to get involved with the most powerful man in the world. The fact that it was an abuse of power just wasn't on peoples radar the way it is today. But even by the standards of the time the way she was treated was awful. She was the victim in all of that mess and instead of anyone stepping in to protect her they through her to the wolves.

In all honesty the fact that Hillary didn't do more to shield Monica from abuse is second only to her Iraq vote when it comes to being a despicable poo poo. Listening to Monica's interview with Oliver about her being black balled left me disgusted. The Democrats should have made sure that she was taken care of financially and professionally.

The fact that she was able to come out the other side of that poo poo with a sense of humor and as a decent human being is impressive as hell.

Should have resigned the minute her name hit the papers. The fact that Bill Clinton chose to press forward with the lie and doom the political system to a year+ of hashing that out was, on its own, grounds for impeachment and removal. Imagine how slightly less terrible the world would be if Gore had run as an incumbent.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CuddleCryptid posted:

How much time have you got?

alternately

White people are terrible.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hereditary chuds.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

How much time have you got?

alternately

White people are terrible.

what i'm hearing is that New Zealand is the only good white people country

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is no good white people country. Just shades of bad.

Along those lines:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/nexpbx/facebook-bans-white-nationalism-and-white-separatism

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 27, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Have you heard their accent?

#cancelled

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

New Zealand is also bad

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

I was initially going to go with "yeah he probably did it, but it couldn't be proven, maybe also got off easy with money and fame, etc"

but then I read what the cops actually had, and it was not much at all, they apparently locked in on an early theory. So now, I honestly don't know.

i'm on board with the statement that the one thing we absolutely know for certain is that this sequence of events started with SOMEONE devising an incredibly boneheaded plan that was guaranteed to blow up in their face hilariously

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

New Zealand is also bad

. . . b . . but hobbitses

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Everyone in Whitehall knows that Brexit is a loving mess and whatever happens is going to be massively unpopular and kill the political career of whoever is PM so nobody wants her job before Brexit is settled in some manner.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1110963415953141760

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ague Proof posted:

let he who has not bribed insane terrorists from northern ireland cast the first stone

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

LostRook posted:

No, he wasn't sentenced, but the 16 hours of community service and forfeiting of the bond were specifically cited as part of a deal with the prosecutors. That's a tacit admission of guilt. Still probably only done because of a conspiracy by the police. Of course.

Your use of the passive voice is doing a lot of work here. It was cited by the prosecutors as evidence of a deal existing and an explanation for their decision. Smollett's side has been quite specific in stating that there was no deal.

If you want to talk about a tacit admission of guilt, you can explain the decision by the prosecution to ask the judge to expunge the charges and seal the file.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

The Tories are in power because of that.

May is in power because no other Tory was dumb enough to take the job.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Kafka Esq. posted:

I was only a lad when this all happened, is she saying she wished it was more private?

She was a 22 year old who was dragged through the mud by the entire united states government and all of the media for giving a blowjob to the president and it forever changed her life. And every lurid specific detail of said blowjob was talked about breathlessly on tv for years. She's making a joke that the current clearly guilty president who clearly was working with a foreign government to win a presidential election gets a vague short summary from his hand-picked AG and all the media apologizes even though it's clear he did it. It's very good Lewinsky has a good sense of humor because otherwise I imagine she'd just lose her goddamn mind.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TheScott2K posted:

Should have resigned the minute her name hit the papers. The fact that Bill Clinton chose to press forward with the lie and doom the political system to a year+ of hashing that out was, on its own, grounds for impeachment and removal. Imagine how slightly less terrible the world would be if Gore had run as an incumbent.

I don't think incumbency advantage is outweighed by the shame of your party's leader stepping down

A huge percentage of Democrats would have seen that as failing to fight

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's great that this is a real thing that happened and not something that would be considered outlandish for the UK equivalent of a Tom Clancy novel.

Democracy.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm on board with the statement that the one thing we absolutely know for certain is that this sequence of events started with SOMEONE devising an incredibly boneheaded plan that was guaranteed to blow up in their face hilariously

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1110877799575891968

They were at a beauty supply store when they bought coats and masks 😂😂

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

lol so is that just the thing conservative leaders in the UK do? Push up to enacting something stupid and bad and staying in place to see it done, then step down immediately to let somebody else deal with the fallout?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Brexit is a textbook example of the dick stuck in milking machine problem. Sure, that hole feels great to start with, but that motherfucker just won't let go.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think incumbency advantage is outweighed by the shame of your party's leader stepping down

A huge percentage of Democrats would have seen that as failing to fight

Guess we'll never know.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Koalas March posted:

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1110877799575891968

They were at a beauty supply store when they bought coats and masks 😂😂

Maybe I'm crazy, but aren't all those things also visible at a normal CVS or Walgreens?

It's not a hardware store though lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but aren't all those things also visible at a normal CVS or Walgreens?

Do CVS or Walgreens sell rope and MAGA hats?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ewiley posted:

no, she was just really dry. Like she got older and dryer until she was so old and dry she was just walking dust. It was basically a mr burns style joke. She had a bucket in her house because water wasn't any sort of inherent weakness, just something she slowly acquired with age.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but aren't all those things also visible at a normal CVS or Wargreens?

The claim was that was taken at a hardware store, apparently. I thought it was a convenience store and that's what they said at the time but I guess o was mistaken.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

theflyingorc posted:

Any pharmacy, sure. Unless you are buying your hair dye at Lowes.

They tried to say it was a hardware store? Lol cops

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Brexit is a textbook example of the dick stuck in milking machine problem. Sure, that hole feels great to start with, but that motherfucker just won't let go.

:yikes:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I thought that at first but if you zoom in (much easier if you're on a phone) they only have beauty supply stuff on and around the counter.

With gas stations, CVS's etc they have candy, sometimes cigarettes, etc not exclusively make up and hair products.

Edit; if you look under their pile of stuff you see two plastic rectangles with balck in them.. Those are do rags. They're getting their hair ready for winter.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 27, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pakled posted:

Do CVS or Walgreens sell rope and MAGA hats?

I think there's an outside chance I could get rope at my local CVS. I couldn't get a MAGA hat, but I imagine that might be a geographic thing since my CVS sells plenty of random, dumb poo poo including hats and ski masks.

That being said I'm very much of the opinion that the cops haven't presented a shred of convincing evidence and anyone giving them the benefit of the doubt over the alleged victim gets a side eye from me.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Rigel posted:

I was initially going to go with "yeah he probably did it, but it couldn't be proven, maybe also got off easy with money and fame, etc"

but then I read what the cops actually had, and it was not much at all, they apparently locked in on an early theory. So now, I honestly don't know.

The odds sound way against them ever getting a conviction and Smollett could simply not afford to admit guilt because it would end his career. There’s nothing that says the DA has to take a losing case to trial.

But I don’t know why assuming he’s this great guy and the other two guys really attacked him and are liars is somehow this great unassailable woke position to have. We could just as easily call the attacks on them and their story racist and anti-immigrant to boot.

Oh, wait, they aren’t celebrities so people feel free to dump on them all they want. Rich TV star has plenty of publicists and star power behind him compared to the two non-celebrities he allegedly hired to help him pull a con.

To me, the (sparsely reporter) facts look as suspicious as hell: he’s in contact with these guys immediately before (and after?), he claims it was two white guys (false), and doesn’t want to turn over the phone records showing his contact with the people he now claims were his genuine attackers. The other stuff, the check, whether he wanted a salary hike, is a sideshow to these fundamentals. I’m comfortable saying that makes him look guilty as hell even if it’s not 99% absolute proof.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 27, 2019

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Koalas March posted:

I thought that at first but if you zoom in (much easier if you're on a phone) they only have beauty supply stuff on and around the counter.

With gas stations, CVS's etc they have candy, sometimes cigarettes, etc not exclusively make up and hair products.

The CVS near me has make up end caps like that, and also near the registers. It just depends on how the store is paid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If I faked a hate crime and got caught but the police hosed up so bad that it would all go away if I forfeited $10,000 I would absolutely take it.

If were a victim of an actual hate crime, but a police department famous for running an illegal black site where they tortured false confessions out of people fabricated evidence that I staged it, but then hosed it up so bad it would all go away if I forfeited $10,000 I would absolutely take that too.

So there's no reason to assume a 'tacit admission of guilt' just because someone let the cops shake them down for $10,000 while under the threat of going to prison.

theflyingorc posted:

MAGA hats?