Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Zoig posted:

Yeah, its more like, you have (45 + 40 + 37 + 30)/4 as your average power level. Removing the Item gives you (45 + 40 + 37)/3 which increases the average by a significant amount.

A friend explained to me that mostly its done this way because it is easier to program than doing it so that it calculates a empty slot properly. Perhaps its because you have to write a exception for when a slot is empty so you don't get divide by zero? I dunno.

Wouldn't it be easier to just always be dividing by the maximum number of pieces of gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SpacePig posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just always be dividing by the maximum number of pieces of gear?
I haven't played Anthem and by God I don't plan to, but I'm guessing they decided on this on the basis that you might not start out with a full set of gear and they didn't want you to have your base weapon's stats divided by 8 or whatever until you can find enough loot to fill up the empties.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Do all those parts just make damage numbers bigger, or do they also do something cool?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cardiovorax posted:

I haven't played Anthem and by God I don't plan to, but I'm guessing they decided on this on the basis that you might not start out with a full set of gear and they didn't want you to have your base weapon's stats divided by 8 or whatever until you can find enough loot to fill up the empties.
But it's linear at least, that seems more sane to balance from the outside.

I haven't played either making us a bunch of weirdos talking about balancing hearsay but if that description is accurate it's super weird. Varying the denominator makes it a weird polynomial which is the root cause of edge cases where you get naked and better. It's a loot game, you should never be encouraged to go naked.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

zedprime posted:

But it's linear at least, that seems more sane to balance from the outside.

I haven't played either making us a bunch of weirdos talking about balancing hearsay but if that description is accurate it's super weird. Varying the denominator makes it a weird polynomial which is the root cause of edge cases where you get naked and better. It's a loot game, you should never be encouraged to go naked.
It doesn't, really. If you had to treat it as a conventional function, then yes, it would be needlessly complex, but in programming, you have the option to use "self-correcting" math of a sorts. Imagine it as (A0 + A1 + ... + A8) / NumberOfFilledSlots, if NumberOfFilledSlots >= 1. It's trivial to program that kind of thing, so for practical purposes, it's really equally easy to do.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

zedprime posted:

t's a loot game, you should never be encouraged to go naked.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/25/18281047/world-of-warcraft-hide-slots-transmog-character-customization

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cardiovorax posted:

It doesn't, really. If you had to treat it as a conventional function, then yes, it would be needlessly complex, but in programming, you have the option to use "self-correcting" math of a sorts. Imagine it as (A0 + A1 + ... + A8) / NumberOfFilledSlots, if NumberOfFilledSlots >= 1. It's trivial to program that kind of thing, so for practical purposes, it's really equally easy to do.
I'm not talking about a computer understanding the function, I'm talking about a designer understanding it to make informed decisions on loot stats, loot drops, etc.

Loot games love inventing weird polynomials. The genre is basically trying to invent fun math stuff for the designer. But at the end of the day it should make an interesting game, not one where the maximized choice is nakedness.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ah, alright. With the way you were talking about polynomials and denominators, it sounded like you were wondering how this makes sense mathematically, not from a design perspective.

But yeah, it's dumb.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

I'm not talking about a computer understanding the function, I'm talking about a designer understanding it to make informed decisions on loot stats, loot drops, etc.

Loot games love inventing weird polynomials. The genre is basically trying to invent fun math stuff for the designer. But at the end of the day it should make an interesting game, not one where the maximized choice is nakedness.

No one set out to make it that way. They just built that system and balanced the game to be okay given playing by the rules, and never responded to the test team's "but what if they gently caress with it" reports because they would require a fundamental overhaul at that point.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Somfin posted:

never responded to the test team's "but what if they gently caress with it" reports

So you're saying they're a company that writes software.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Look, probably nobody's going to find it in the first couple of weeks after launch. We have waaaaaay more important things to fix first."

This is what fixed launch dates do to you. Well, that and dysfunctional company cultures / development processes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ReCog-F9Ro

This channel has a lot of funny stuff from Oblivion, though not all are bugs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zoig posted:

Yeah, its more like, you have (45 + 40 + 37 + 30)/4 as your average power level. Removing the Item gives you (45 + 40 + 37)/3 which increases the average by a significant amount.

A friend explained to me that mostly its done this way because it is easier to program than doing it so that it calculates a empty slot properly. Perhaps its because you have to write a exception for when a slot is empty so you don't get divide by zero? I dunno.

WOW kind of had the same issue last year with their latest expansion. Basically they made a system where mob levels scale with your character's item level, so that nothing is too hard or too easy. The problem is that rings only provide some minor stats, so taking them off would significantly lower mob levels while having only a minor impact on your own power. It made it so that wearing rings was an effective dps loss.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain Monkey posted:

So you're saying they're a company that writes software.

As opposed to a company that makes games, yes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Games are software

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Last Chance posted:

Games are software

hosed up if true

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Do all those parts just make damage numbers bigger, or do they also do something cool?

"Cool" is a bit strong, but they can all make numbers bigger for both attack and defence as well as how much stuff you might find, how long you can fly for, how close to stuff you need to be before you auto-grab it and so on. I haven't found any items that do anything outlandishly fun like "cause enemies to turn into homing exploding turnips on death".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

whether you start out with a full set of gear or not is also their decision to make

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Like I meant just changing up the weapon's effects beyond basic 'more damage faster firing' etc, which sounds like it doesn't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dabir posted:

whether you start out with a full set of gear or not is also their decision to make

Yeah, this is why most of these games now you start with every stat-calculating slot filled at the start of the game with nigh-on useless junk and the game won't allow you to remove stuff unless you have a replacement for it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dabir posted:

It certainly is and it would've been the much more practical solution. I'm just making a guess here at what they might have been thinking. :shrug:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://twitter.com/NollaGames/status/1112439544169881605

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would play a game where you can randomly turn into a supernova.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I'd like to introduce you to Plain Sight then :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Seems like a feature, not a bug.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Toilet Rascal
Why does the wizard fly by pooping

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

haveblue posted:

reality can often be disappointing

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

https://secure.runescape.com/m=news/deadman-spring-finals---in-retrospect-?oldschool=1

Runescape permadeath tournament goes horribly wrong:

quote:

Once a player is teleported to the 1v1 Arena, the rest of the world is filled with dangerous fog for that player. This is to ensure they are instantly killed if they are somewhere they should not be. To enable this, the 1v1 arenas are uniquely marked so that the game knows where fog should be. However, of the 128 arenas that players were teleported into, the majority were not uniquely marked as they should have been. Because of this, the game assumed that the players in those arenas were somewhere they shouldn't be and instantly killed them.

During the Permadeath stage, a player who dies is teleported to a jail cell in Falador and then logged out. They are unable to log back in from this point, as during the Permadeath stage, we do not let dead players back in under any circumstances. During the teleports to the 1v1 arenas, 93 players were killed.

The Permadeath stage has a pause feature, which is designed to be used if issues are encountered during the tournament. This pause can be manually activated, but it will also be automatically triggered by the game if more than 50 people are logged off at once. Because of the deaths in the 1v1 Arena, and the subsequent log outs, the tournament was automatically paused at this point.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
love to have a car with 15x as much power as a dash 9 locomotive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2csywV-odvQ&t=72s

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Last Chance posted:

Games are software

Software companies can usually ignore "what if the user deliberately fucks with it" reports because users loving with it and breaking things are only hurting themselves, and almost no users will deliberately hit outlandish edge cases just to see what happens

Games companies do not have that luxury

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Somfin posted:

Software companies can usually ignore "what if the user deliberately fucks with it" reports because users loving with it and breaking things are only hurting themselves, and almost no users will deliberately hit outlandish edge cases just to see what happens

Games companies do not have that luxury

Rofl. You definitely don't know poo poo about users.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In all fairness, for gamers, this is basically a competitive hobby. :v:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain Monkey posted:

Rofl. You definitely don't know poo poo about users.

The company I work for makes B2B software so you might be right

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Somfin posted:

The company I work for makes B2B software so you might be right

Speaking from experience, if you try to make your software idiot-proof, the world will build a better idiot.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Segmentation Fox posted:

Speaking from experience, if you try to make your software idiot-proof, the world will build a better idiot.

A better, richer idiot who makes your sales team break out the champagne, then immediately uses minor parts of your system to a far greater capacity than they were ever meant to accommodate and demands that they be made to work perfectly to the exclusion of all other development work

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

haveblue posted:

:shrug: ask JK Rowling

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farecoal posted:

sure looks more fun than doing 10 laps around a featureless circle track at a snail's pace

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zoig posted:

A null check isn't hard. Count the number of item slots and use that as the divider. If there is no item add zero. Or have a placeholder item that represents "no item equipped" that always returns zero when you're adding up an average power level. That sort of thing is actually stupidly easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farecoal posted:

Fkin :lol: at the replay of the car standing upright belching sparks at 2500mph