Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Last I heard there was a bill filed that would make Puerto Rico a state in 2021, is that still going through?

We would need to hold (yet another) referendum in PR first where the people clearly and unambiguously tells us they want to be a state, which has been a problem in the past.

Once that is done, we'd still need total control of everything (both houses and the WH) to make it happen, since the GOP probably figures that if they weren't naturally going to be Dems anyway, Trump has probably now poisoned the well against them for generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kchama posted:

:words: a bunch of speculation

So answer my question. Why does Smollett want the file sealed?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Wow who could have possibly predicted this.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt the green deal pretty popular? jesus christ, he is just blowing his legs off.

If there's one thing I have never accused President Trump of having, it's strategic genius.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If we get 51 seats in the Senate, and the presidency, abolishing the filibuster and ramming through DC and PR statehood absolutely has to happen day one.

...that being said, I don't know that candidates should be too loud about that if they agree because it could galvanize the GOP base. Adding several solidly dem representatives, 4 senators, and some electoral votes would scare the hell out of them.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

If by “the cops” you mean Jussie Smollett and his lawyer’s, then yes, they are trying to frame those guys for a hate crime then sure.

The actual cops released them without charges.

If they participated in a hoax... then why were they released without any charges, much less not getting 16 felonies?

yronic heroism posted:

Knowing how grand jury trials work isn't speculating. You were the one speculating that they added charges the prosecutor didn't want, which they literally can't do. They're presented charges, and then the prosecutor's evidence for those charges, and they are then made to vote on the charges based on the evidence. Informing you on Grand Jury 101 isn't speculation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nail Rat posted:

If we get 51 seats in the Senate, and the presidency, abolishing the filibuster and ramming through DC and PR statehood absolutely has to happen day one.
It's not any difficulty under the Constitution! Article IV just says it has to pass Congress:

The Constitution posted:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
e: not any difficulty to do it with 51 and a rule change, I mean

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

...that being said, I don't know that candidates should be too loud about that if they agree because it could galvanize the GOP base. Adding several solidly dem representatives, 4 senators, and some electoral votes would scare the hell out of them.

Hell, add Guam, and then instead of passing the Wyoming Rule, it can be the Guam Rule.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dammerung posted:

If there's one thing I have never accused President Trump of having, it's strategic genius.

Not to try and 6D chess this, but Trump just flat out saying that it doesn't work will definitely decrease the support for it. He is an Authority Figure and they will take him at his word that it is bad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brave New World posted:

Apart from Climate Change, the Kiddy Koncentration Kamps and the ongoing disaster in Puerto Rico are the most pressing issues right now. Yet virtually no one seems to be making a big deal over them.

Lots of people are talking about these things and making a big deal about them, it's just that the current administration doesn't give a poo poo about them so nothing is being done to help.

Rigel posted:

We would need to hold (yet another) referendum in PR first where the people clearly and unambiguously tells us they want to be a state, which has been a problem in the past.

Once that is done, we'd still need total control of everything (both houses and the WH) to make it happen, since the GOP probably figures that if they weren't naturally going to be Dems anyway, Trump has probably now poisoned the well against them for generations.

So it's kind of unlikely and impossible if Trump is reelected? Gotcha.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bicyclops posted:

Hell, add Guam, and then instead of passing the Wyoming Rule, it can be the Guam Rule.
gently caress it, add Wake and Midway.

Give the seabirds a couple senators.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

yronic heroism posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgsEdU4l8XQ

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rent-A-Cop posted:

"Mr Chairman, it's just that bird law in this country - it's not governed by reason."

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Bird rights activist would be proud

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not to try and 6D chess this, but Trump just flat out saying that it doesn't work will definitely decrease the support for it. He is an Authority Figure and they will take him at his word that it is bad.

It definitely will decrease support among his base, but I'm not sure to what extent his word carries any validity and weight outside of that group. And, well, it doesn't seem likely that they'd want to seriously engage with the policies within the Green New Deal. Much easier to rant about cow farts and Aquaman.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Frankly, let's give Puerto Rico all 100 Senators for a little while, and see what they can do with the chamber.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well, that is a bunch of silly nonsense.

The US Virgin Islands clearly deserve it first after PR, DC, and Guam, they have over 100,000 people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

Innocent people don't like bullshit criminal charges coming up whenever someone does a background check on them?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Rigel posted:

All another referendum would do is prove what we already know: Statehood is the option preferred by (at the very least) a plurality of Puerto Rican voters. The ambiguity of the 2012 poll was intentional.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Governor of Puerto Rico was demanding that 2020 Dems grant Puerto Rico statehood as recently as February.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A referendum isn't constitutionally or legally required, all it takes is a territorial government that has met the minimum population requirement petitions congress for statehood and congress passes a law to admit them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kchama posted:

If they participated in a hoax... then why were they released without any charges, much less not getting 16 felonies?

the 16 felonies were 16 seperate counts of lying to a police officer/filing a false report

just pointing out how ridiculous that was

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bicyclops posted:

The Governor of Puerto Rico was demanding that 2020 Dems grant Puerto Rico statehood as recently as February.
I would love her to be a senator.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bicyclops posted:

And Puerto Rico is not insignificant to the primary process. That said, as I said above, it's tricky because even if a candidate supports it - and I certainly hope they do - if they say it too loud it's going to be the excuse the GOP needs to motivate their racist base to get to the polls.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

I would love her to be a senator.

The governor of Puerto Rico is a dude, you're thinking of the Mayor of San Juan. She's one of Bernie's campaign co-chairs so you'd have to imagine she'd have some sort of place in his administration.

edit: actually, looks like she's running for the Governor of Puerto Rico as well. However - she opposes statehood.

https://twitter.com/carmenyulincruz/status/1044255481638916096

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 27, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Baronash posted:

All another referendum would do is prove what we already know: Statehood is the option preferred by (at the very least) a plurality of Puerto Rican voters. The ambiguity of the 2012 poll was intentional.

A simple yes/no ballot would suffice, we don't need to include other legally invalid options like "free association".

It is not constitutionally required, but it is politically required, and a petition from the governor won't be enough. We're not going to ram PR statehood through unless a clear majority vote for it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I want to see Puerto Rico be made a state, if only to trigger the CHUDs. I mean I want them to have all the resources of a statehood there too, that's a given but the sooner we can force the CHUDs to decide whether to re-buy new 51 star American flags for their pick'em'up trucks or not the better, just for the lulz.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

the 16 felonies were 16 seperate counts of lying to a police officer/filing a false report

just pointing out how ridiculous that was

Look up “unanimity of verdict”... there are constitutional reasons why they have to prove which specific statement is a lie. If juror 12 says “he lied about x but not y” and jurors 1-11 say “no he lied about y but not x” it’s a problem.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

VH4Ever posted:

I want to see Puerto Rico be made a state, if only to trigger the CHUDs. I mean I want them to have all the resources of a statehood there too, that's a given but the sooner we can force the CHUDs to decide whether to re-buy new 51 star American flags for their pick'em'up trucks or not the better, just for the lulz.

Combine the Dakotas, have their existing four senators cage-match for the two slots.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
We'd also only need 50 senators, not 51

edit: No joke, the future of the Republic may depend on whether Tom Tillis, Cory Gardner, and Susan Collins keep their seats weeeeeee

wait there's a 4th one we need for when Doug Jones probably loses

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

A referendum isn't constitutionally or legally required, all it takes is a territorial government that has met the minimum population requirement petitions congress for statehood and congress passes a law to admit them.

depends on your interpretation of the Insular cases tbh, but a referendum would needed to formally incorporate the territory under the full control of the US Constitution and lose the terrtitory's sovereignty.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kchama posted:

It’s not illegal to stage a fight/assault scene with a willing participant. It’s street theatre of poor taste maybe, but not illegal. What’s illegal is filing a false report. He’s the one who reported it.

And of course you are still ignoring the question about why he wants all this secrecy about a supposed frame job.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

yronic heroism posted:

It’s not illegal to stage a fight/assault scene with a willing participant. It’s street theatre of poor taste maybe, but not illegal. What’s illegal is filing a false report. He’s the one who reported it.

go away Rahm

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

theflyingorc posted:

We'd also only need 50 senators, not 51

edit: No joke, the future of the Republic may depend on whether Tom Tillis, Cory Gardner, and Susan Collins keep their seats weeeeeee

wait there's a 4th one we need for when Doug Jones probably loses

They'll be claiming 50-star flags are true flags etc..

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

And of course you are still ignoring the question about why he wants all this secrecy about a supposed frame job.

Oh so you yell at me for 'speculating' by laying out Grand Juries 101 to you, but you desperately want my speculation on this?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

I am going to say that i definately think staging a fight in public is illegal.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1111010980539101185?s=20

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1111011603993034753

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

lol democracy is a joke

Adbot