Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loving Christ, they will do anything to rig the rules when they lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

And thanks to McConnell stuffing the federal courts, expect this poo poo for a long loving while.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The law is a land of contrasts.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

quote:

The 3rd District Court of Appeals on Wednesday put on hold a ruling made last week striking down the laws as unconstitutional.

The appeals court decision means that while the legal fight continues, the lame-duck laws will remain in place.

It's not a complete 'you lose', it's a stay before it goes to the wisconsin supreme court

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Let me explain why this detective poo poo pisses me off

THAT IS NOT HOW MEMORY WORKS

Most of what you remember about things is not an accurate retelling of only what you witnessed. Not some, most. Jussie would not actually clearly remember the details of their appearance. If two guys jumped him, and beat him up while screaming at him:

His brain would immediately try to construct a narrative to explain what was happening to him.

It's even possible that he could "make up" the reasons before and after. They may have never actually said "Welcome to MAGA country" - they could have said something that sounded similar. Or he could be jumbling multiple sentences in his head. OR they could have been saying something like that, and then his memory would literally remember them as two white dudes because it would fill in the gaps because he knows only white people say things like that.

We all do this, all the time, and it doesn't make us liars. It just means that unless extreme care is taken - "What exactly did they say, word for word? Could you tell they were white because you could see their faces? What are the reasons you have for believing this was a random assault, etc etc." - memory should be treated extremely carefully and suspiciously.

The human brain is EXTREMELY good at taking our memories and literally rewriting portions of them to fit to our expected narrative. That doesn't mean that they aren't real memories, it just means that memory is terrible.

This is a good post, and you’re right it would be dumb to think just getting a detail wrong is necessarily proof of anything other than perception. But look at it in light of his contacts with the guys everyone in the case now agrees are the attackers (whether the attack is real or fictitious) and I say his story sounds a hell of a lot worse than theirs.

VitalSigns posted:

Innocent people don't like bullshit criminal charges coming up whenever someone does a background check on them?

This is the dumbest take I have ever read. No one is going to forget this national news story. They’re not going to be casting for the Empire reunion 20 years from now and suddenly discover this case because it wasn’t expunged or whatever.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

And of course you are still ignoring the question about why he wants all this secrecy about a supposed frame job.

It is ridiculous to treat someone with suspicion just because they want a grueling ordeal to be over. He is not obligated to fight on the side of truth and justice by freeing the details of his attack or suing the cops (because that always goes SO well!).

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

cr0y posted:

I am going to say that i definately think staging a fight in public is illegal.

Under what law? Disturbing the peace? Maybe on a sunny afternoon, but this was cold dead of night—no one else was around to be disturbed.

Conspiracy to file a false report? Maybe. Only if you can prove they knew he was going to the police. So as long as they don’t literally confess to that, how do you prove it? You first have to prove not only is Smollett guilty but they knew the whole plan. And since the D&D hive mind now thinks he’s innocent as a newborn Bernie (at least until another Thing in the News breaks), how do you propose prosecuting on that.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 27, 2019

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

It is ridiculous to treat someone with suspicion just because they want a grueling ordeal to be over. He is not obligated to fight on the side of truth and justice by freeing the details of his attack or suing the cops (because that always goes SO well!).

And we are not obligated to think he’s not a liar.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's not a complete 'you lose', it's a stay before it goes to the wisconsin supreme court

And what is the makeup of the Wisconsin Supreme Court? Chud or non-chud?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure if this was posted before because it's a whole 17 hours old but these guys must know the more they cover it up the more we want it

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1110748412557828096?s=19

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And what is the makeup of the Wisconsin Supreme Court? Chud or non-chud?

In a 4-3 decision...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

yronic heroism posted:

And we are not obligated to think he’s not a liar.

Congrats on making it really obvious to a bunch of people why poc almost universally distrust that the police give one flying gently caress about their well being

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not sure if this was posted before because it's a whole 17 hours old but these guys must know the more they cover it up the more we want it

I would not be surprised if Barr is actually doing that, but Scott Dworkin is a moron who constantly lies, so grain of salt

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Why is anyone choosing to view the situation as a gay black man is the perpetrator of a crime instead of a victim as he claims when there is apparently no actionable convict-able evidence that this is the case.

The world that you believe in sucks rear end and there’s not enough evidence that it exists. And cops are advocating for its existence so what the gently caress is wrong with you to share their world view frankly?Why not advocate for the people who are not favored by the power structure that exists until it is proven to you that they are not what they seem? And don’t say “what about the two poor guys” because no one here is really even talking about them. There is obviously something weird going on between the cops and Smollett and the cops should bear the brunt of all of your scrutiny.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

the appeal court granted the republican motion to stay the lower court ruling pending a full appeal.

so not settled yet on the validity of the law, but the law isn't stayed, and republicans are going to gently caress poo poo up in the mean time

a second distrct court blocked some other provisions of the law, which has not been appealed yet

its a clusterfuck

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm going to vote so hard for Neubauer on Tuesday. Hagedorn can go suck an egg. Get outta here with that "I can be impartial, I promise!" poo poo.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

I would not be surprised if Barr is actually doing that, but Scott Dworkin is a moron who constantly lies, so grain of salt

Actual news people reported that like 4 days ago. So if anything is a lie, it's because of the timing.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
It's pretty plausible that the sealing of the case / expungement of the charges is relevant to stuff like morals clauses in Smollett's extant or anticipated contracts (or second there are second or third order consequences that relate to IP like Empire) such that he'd want that done, even if the court filings made him look good and the cops look bad.

Although with Terrence Howard's history seemingly going unremarked, I guess that parenthetical is less likely.

e: welp, nevermind

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2019

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Congrats on making it really obvious to a bunch of people why poc almost universally distrust that the police give one flying gently caress about their well being

Because people on the internet might choose to believe two poor black men over one rich black celebrity?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/1110930180493791232

https://twitter.com/craigrwall/status/1110997231551873024

https://twitter.com/cjane87/status/1110906278229037058

:lol:
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1110995509899132934

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

This is the dumbest take I have ever read. No one is going to forget this national news story. They’re not going to be casting for the Empire reunion 20 years from now and suddenly discover this case because it wasn’t expunged or whatever.

There's no way to predict that he'll keep this job forever or that he won't need to pass a criminal background check at some time in the future, the idea that he or anyone needs to allow bullshit charges to come up on their record forever to appease a fragile white dude on the Internet who will say he's guilty no matter what he does anyway is dumb.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Huh, so the case files weren't sealed intentionally. I guess Jussie Smollet wasn't hiding anything at all, and is in fact the most innocent a person can be.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Such a normal, progressive, liberal guy that I have to feverishly post for several pages about how the gay black man who has had his name dragged through the mud for months with no actual evidence of wrongdoing is really the villain in this situation.

Such a smart genius guy that I have to deliberately misunderstand the legal system for my arguments to make any sense.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

what's yronic's take going to be after he bluescreens and recovers.

I'm going with "a ha, if he were really innocent the court would have sealed the records like they do for innocent people"

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I don't care about Smollet but if he was white they never would have so aggressively investigated this.
Wohl and Project Veritas are untouched and do worse poo poo.
Loomer begs to be put in jail and fails.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

what's yronic's take going to be after he bluescreens and recovers.

I'm going with "a ha, if he were really innocent the court would have sealed the records like they do for innocent people"

I was just going to go with him shouting racial slurs as the true endpoint of people baring their full rear end, but this works too.

The thing yronic misses because he is white(I think) is that if you are a PoC you NEVER go to trial because there is a larger chance of you being convicted even if you are innocent. It is cute that they think the justice system is actually just though.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 27, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I assume his end point is to disappear again for 2-3 months before another convo about police corruption and persecution of minorities comes up that he can awkwardly bungle his way into

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

There's no way to predict that he'll keep this job forever or that he won't need to pass a criminal background check at some time in the future, the idea that he or anyone needs to allow bullshit charges to come up on their record forever to appease a fragile white dude on the Internet who will say he's guilty no matter what he does anyway is dumb.

What world are you living in where Hollywood (or anyone with a pulse) forgets Jussie Smollett got charged?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, just lol if you ever believed anything that chicago police had to say about a black gay man via an anonymous source. What's wrong with you people, come the gently caress on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It seems possible to me that Smollet is a head case who thought this stunt would keep him on TV, but the cops have so brazenly hosed it that the prosecutor feels a mistrial is very likely against a wealthy celebrity that can afford good legal reps.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

Because people on the internet might choose to believe two poor black men over one rich black celebrity?

Stop trying to make this a classist decision between Jussie and the brothers. From what we’ve seen with the FOIA report, there doesn’t seem to be enough evidence to convict any of them. It’s not our jobs to detective this case and find out what really happened, it’s the cops’, and they completely borked this up.

And ffs, you’re the one pushing the theory in which all three men are guilty of staging an attack, while other people think the guilty party is just two or even zero. Stop acting like you’re taking the high road here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i had relatives in dhs (in the ""not bad"" parts) and i remember one going "it's interesting nobody ever gets up in arms over undocumented canadians."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1111019585791279105

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1111019813432901632

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Our big boy likes doin' a big boy order signing.

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1111015593971453954?s=19

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

It seems possible to me that Smollet is a head case who thought this stunt would keep him on TV, but the cops have so brazenly hosed it that the prosecutor feels a mistrial is very likely against a wealthy celebrity that can afford good legal reps.

Ok, but without evidence why choose this viewpoint?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Why would he need help staying on TV, and if the prosecutor felt a mistrial was likely, why did they go full steam ahead on 16 charges? And why would they fear a mistrial if they had such iron-clad evidence?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

What world are you living in where Hollywood (or anyone with a pulse) forgets Jussie Smollett got charged?

Why take the risk just to appease bootlickers and racists? Also irrelevant because...

lmao just going to ignore the prosecutor saying the records weren't sealed deliberately aren't you

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's Dworkin, if the tweet opens with "BREAKING:" and makes it all the way to the end without a link to some actual journalism, everything in between can be guarantee to be full of poo poo.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

yronic heroism posted:

I know it's a popular thing to tell people to love themselves no matter what, but some people shouldn't because they are pieces of poo poo and instead of just loving their lovely selves should instead change.

Be less lovely. Shutting up about this and stopping defending cops would be a good first step on that road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

scopes posted:

It's Dworkin, if the tweet opens with "BREAKING:" and makes it all the way to the end without a link to some actual journalism, everything in between can be guarantee to be full of poo poo.

The lie in that is definitely that it was breaking news, as that happened on Saturday.