Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So when we get a unified Ireland and an independent Scotland - is anything keeping Wales around?

Can we finally get that Cornwall independence poo poo going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Free Foula.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I admit that I didn't know that, I saw the article linked and looked over it and thought it would be more intellectually honest to post it directly than to post the sources I got from it. My bad.

The Scots didn't vote Thatcher into power. They gave Labour twice as many seats as they gave the Tories. Sheppard didn't say "better Thatcher than keeping that government!!", he said said he would have done the same thing, i.e. voted against a confidence vote in a government that hosed his party over. Here's the full speech where he follows up saying he would do the same thing by adding that they didn't vote for 18 years of tories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB6Ro1cNTaM

Labour would super like to frame any dissendence against them as voting to make a Tory PM dictator but it's pretty rich to accuse the SNP of being Tory sympathisers.

Also it's pretty bad timing when the SNP has been way more on top of Brexit stuff than Labour.

well it's nice that they can say they weren't voting for 18 years of tories but that was the actual result.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Goon Danton posted:

Just a warning from an American, "not voting with me is voting for the bad guy" trolley problem language is how you end up with Democrats. You don't want to have Democrats.

lol dude we already have 'democrats'

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I have a compromise solution: stay in the EU but not be happy about it

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

ulex minor posted:

well it's nice that they can say they weren't voting for 18 years of tories but that was the actual result.

Please explain to me why the SNP, a Scotland exclusive party, is to blame for English people voting for Tories and why they should be basing their actions on hypothetically preventing English people from voting for Tories.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Randler posted:

The democrats aren't a centrist party, though. They're decidedly right-wing.

Did you mean to write the same thing twice here or...?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

pathetic little tramp posted:

So when we get a unified Ireland and an independent Scotland - is anything keeping Wales around?

https://twitter.com/welshindymemes/status/1017852123969720321

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pathetic little tramp posted:

The fact that Wales would have jackshit for an economy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

StashAugustine posted:

What's the difference between 'customs union' and the labor plan?

It's more comprehensive in our alignment with the EU like Norway's current situation

Turkey are in the customs union for example

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

would the welsh agree to stay in if the queen boned down w the dragon

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jose posted:

It's more comprehensive in our alignment with the EU like Norway's current situation

Turkey are in the customs union for example

Would Labour's Plan still need to be measured by the standards of Labour's six tests for Brexit, or do those only apply to deals proposed by the government?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Welsh economy is roughly 100% tourism to see their super long town names.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

What's the difference between 'customs union' and the labor plan?

Custom Union does not give you frictionless trade. For this you'd need the Single Market. The Labour plan is SM + Unicorns, I think.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

genericnick posted:

Custom Union does not give you frictionless trade. For this you'd need the Single Market. The Labour plan is SM + Unicorns, I think.

The EU love Corbyns plan fwiw, he's been speaking to Barnier directly

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

UK dying tomorrow or do I gotta wait two more weeks?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol if you think the uk is yet to die

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raccooon posted:

UK dying tomorrow or do I gotta wait two more weeks?

apparently that depends on if you think UK domestic laws are superseded by EU laws, because the UK & EU agreed to the extension, but UK law still says they're exiting on the 29th.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Personally I'm psyched for Quantum of Brexit Fortnight

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

apparently that depends on if you think UK domestic laws are superseded by EU laws, because the UK & EU agreed to the extension, but UK law still says they're exiting on the 29th.
This really is the more humane option. The EU will let UK citizens leave the UK, but the UK won't let EU citizens in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

The EU love Corbyns plan fwiw, he's been speaking to Barnier directly

yeah basically europe see Corbyn as a competent leader and politician because he's been meeting them and discussing this plan should labour get into power that is actually feasible. Our press see him as massively incompetent because they're terrified he'll be prime minister and they can't handle the idea we won't just be more status quo neoliberal

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
Collapse, you cowards.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

imo so long as you're a member of a supranational union then the laws of the union supersede domestic law, and even if you declare a law that you're leaving the union it has to be mutually agreeable to have legitimacy. So the Right Honorable Judge Pener would rule that the UK doesn't exit until at least the extention date. I'm sure this will be kicked up through appeals to the court of public opinion.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, they passed the SI thing, guillotine now falls on the 12th.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Brexit into space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Day_of_Human_Space_Flight

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
post itt every time you laugh at brexit

lol

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

tarbrush posted:

No, they passed the SI thing, guillotine now falls on the 12th.

Wasn't that still dependent on the presumption that Parliament would have a third MV on May's deal?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This really is the more humane option. The EU will let UK citizens leave the UK, but the UK won't let EU citizens in.

maxwell’s demon, but with people

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
they passed the extension to April 12th with no MV passing or May 22nd with MV3 while they were waiting for the smorgasbord votes to be returned

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

I'm confused again (I am permanently Brexit confused). A couple of days ago it was posted that the short delay would only go through if the UK committed to no-deal or May's deal before the 29th. But after yesterdays vote, everyone is talking as if the short delay will definitely happen. Is the latter correct, or does something still have to happen today to prevent them from crashing out tomorrow?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

gratz on the uk accelerating their approach toward "do you believe this gently caress-nothing speck of map was once a vibrant world power??" footnote status, reaching heretofore only theoretical rates of decline

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So this is the governments new trick to try and pass Mays deal. Vote on the withdrawal agreement but not the political declaration. Guess which is the more important bit and includes the backstop?

quote:

The Withdrawal Agreement sets out the terms of the UK’s smooth and orderly exit from the European Union, including provisions for an implementation period. The text is subject to minor technical corrections.

The Political Declaration sets out the framework for the future relationship between the European Union and the United Kingdom. It provides instructions to negotiators that will deliver a future relationship by the end of 2020 covering an economic partnership, a security partnership and agreements on areas of shared interest.

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1111259667286671365

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Infinite Brexit, Brexit Universe! BREXIT MULTIVERSE!!!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

So are British retirees living abroad in the EU still screwed? Will there be any grace period for them to move back to Britain, or will they have to leave ASAP?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

uncertainty posted:

I'm confused again (I am permanently Brexit confused). A couple of days ago it was posted that the short delay would only go through if the UK committed to no-deal or May's deal before the 29th. But after yesterdays vote, everyone is talking as if the short delay will definitely happen. Is the latter correct, or does something still have to happen today to prevent them from crashing out tomorrow?

Source: European Council decision EUCO XT 20006/19, 22 March 2019, which the UK has accepted, so the extensions set forth in Article 1 of the decision become applicable in accordance with Article 50.

Please be aware that "Withdrawal Agreement" in this context refers to May's deal as is, in particular including the backstop as-is.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

So are British retirees living abroad in the EU still screwed? Will there be any grace period for them to move back to Britain, or will they have to leave ASAP?

lOCK THEM UP

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Bob Socko posted:

That's down to the individual states, iirc, which can choose to do whatever. Greece in particular has already rights of residence in a No Deal scenario.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

I love brexit, it's my favorite political drama since despite being a bit less full on idiotic than the trump government, it has way less. Of an impact on the world. The season Finale is looking to be killer too!

Nah, Brexit is infinitely more idiotic than Trump. We've voted to put economic sanctions on ourselves because some people believed tabloid propaganda and lies on a bus, and now we're stuck with brexit for the foreseeable future. The orange cretin has to go at some point and then you might regain some semblance of a sane government.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

my brexit farm has been shattered after my basil caught some kind of wasting disease, poor billy basil was the only thing far along enough to eat

i got some nice coriander, greek oregano, fancy tomatoes and jalapenos to pot though so thats something

hopefully a few months into brexit apocalypse some raiders will stumble upon my flat and itll be a jungle of delicious herbs and vegetables feasting on my composted carcass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Obliterati posted:

That's down to the individual states, iirc, which can choose to do whatever. Greece in particular has already rights of residence in a No Deal scenario.
spain should definitely lock every single one of them up until the uk gives gibraltar back