Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

MightyJoe36 posted:

I'm old, but doesn't "mansplaining" mean being condescending to a woman because you think she's dumb or something?

Apparently it means “men having opinions “.

Which I can get behind.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
Hate coworker but when she bitches about customers it drives me to bonertown

quote:

I (18) work at a lovely yiros shop and my coworker (42) is mega annoying, like she lacks common sense and just gets in the way and always does things the long way, so naturally she gets on my nerves all the time like she pisses me off so much I’m constantly finding new things that annoy me about her and we never talk obviously, but when she bitches about customers that I agree with it totally turns me on and gives me a boner on the spot. I often have to hide it but like why tf is this a thing she absolutely annoys me but the boners???

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

welcome to hell posted:

Because you're 18. Getting a boner is your body's default reaction to pretty much anything.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

MightyJoe36 posted:

I'm old, but doesn't "mansplaining" mean being condescending to a woman because you think she's dumb or something?

It's basically just when a guy "well, actually"s a woman, especially when he know as much or less about the subject than she does. See: that guy on Twitter who is probably to this day still well actually-ing a woman on the subject of vulvas

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

MightyJoe36 posted:

It's a man explaining something to a woman that she already knows. Like there was a guy on Twitter telling a woman what the difference between a vulva and vagina is, and the woman was a gynecologist (the conversation went on for several days and he kept doubling down on being wrong).

E: fb

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

welcome to hell posted:

/r/relationships: she absolutely annoys me but the boners???

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
whilst

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA For Expecting My Food Deliverer to Knock on my Door?

quote:

I'm a new mom and get loads of packages delivered. I had handwritten signs that said "Do not Knock" for packages in various iterations that were ignored. I always wrote "Do not knock" in every checkout cart that offered "delivery options" notes. It never worked. So, I found a sign that had pictures of the corporate courier logos for attention. And it worked! Too well... We ordered dinner last night and it was 45 minutes late! UGH. Well... The food delivery person saw the sign and silently left it at the front door. It was ice cold when we realized what happened. Am I the rear end in a top hat? My husband said we were asking for it. I think common sense should have prevailed.
UPDATE: I bought the sign on Amazon and would not have designed it to be so broadly worded. I did not call or complain to anyone. It's a really well reviewed sign so I don't think other people have had this cold dinner problem. Also, it says "No soliciting, no exceptions" as in absolutely no solicitors are allowed. Not no deliveries. And the "other" image shows a man with a briefcase who looks like a door-to-door salesman. And "all other deliveries" is after logos of only couriers. If it were for food delivery then you'd think it would also include a grubhub logo, seamless logo, image of a pizza, etc. Oh, and I'll definitely put up a post-it next time that says "Food Deliveries Ok".

The sign

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Food guy just trying to do the right thing

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

welcome to hell posted:

My [22f] boyfriend’s [24m] new tattoo makes me feel like a pedophile

Other sexual positions exist, lady

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Piell posted:

The sign

This woman is kind of a moron huh

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

feedmegin posted:

Other sexual positions exist, lady

That’s not the best fix. I mean the bottom of that slippery slope is “just close your eyes, baby!”

I think if she explained things, it might have a possible benefit (like him just keeping his shirt on forever) but I really don’t think that relationship is going to last much longer :(

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for taking my bonus and creating a "secret" room in my house (complete with a bookshelf door)?

is this one of those subreddits that treats "manchild" as hate speech

at least there's a happy ending:

quote:

Lol this may surprise you but I’m not exactly a hit with the ladies! Looks like we’re officially broken up so it will be a dedicated man cave for like the next 50 years.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 28, 2019

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Re: sign lady, eh she's just a new mom probably discombobulated and out-of-touch with communicating with people. She's doubling down because she's annoyed and it's about food. Hangriness is clearly involved. Hopefully in a few days she'll realize she wasn't being fair.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Something about food delivery person is more infuriating than the rest of these.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Something about food delivery person is more infuriating than the rest of these.

It is expecting the near minimum wage food delivery guy to parse out her stupid sign.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Xenocides posted:

It is expecting the near minimum wage food delivery guy to parse out her stupid sign.

Well he did it said no exceptions.

I just don’t know what type of total moron gets annoyed by someone following their directions exactly with no self awareness.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Thank god she escaped

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

quote:

Lol this may surprise you

No, not at all actually.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I just don’t know what type of total moron gets annoyed by someone following their directions exactly with no self awareness.

Have you worked for anyone, ever? This is a super common boss thing to do. 'Ok yeah sure I said X, but you SHOULD HAVE KNOWN I meant Y in only this one specific circumstance not mentioned here' is like the office worker's Catch-22

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Have you worked for anyone, ever? This is a super common boss thing to do. 'Ok yeah sure I said X, but you SHOULD HAVE KNOWN I meant Y in only this one specific circumstance not mentioned here' is like the office worker's Catch-22

Yeah but it makes her a real annoying fucker

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

tactlessbastard posted:

Thank god she escaped

Probably figured she was about to role play Harry Potter and not in the fun whimsical way :/

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Piell posted:

The sign

why would you order stuff and then say no knocking on the door? is the door a gong?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mesomorphinpwrranger• 1h

quote:

Like a year ago, my wife and I were separated. Since then, we've gotten back together and things have been better. I've really been working on being a better husband and shes been working on being a better wife. The other night, my wife found out that while we were separated, I made out with this chick at a bar. poo poo kinda hit the fan.

She told me I'm the reason for her depression and anxiety, that I'm a snake and an rear end hole and a liar, and that she often thinks about what would have happened if we had never dated. She openly says she doesnt want to be with me unless I fight for her. That was 2 days ago.

This morning I see she posted on reddit about me, of course, and the post itself was deleted but the comments were still there and they were all about how she should leave me and I'm an rear end in a top hat and she has agreed with every one of them.

I can put up with alot, but this really made me angry. Idk if I have a right to be but I am anyway. And it hurt a whole lot when she told me I'm the reason for her depression and she would be better without me. Idk what to do. She would never straight up leave me (I dont think) but she also doesnt want to be with me.

I don't really have anyone to talk to about this, so I posted it here. Things have been going so well for A YEAR and I've worked so hard. I'm not disputing that what I did was wrong and I never did. I'm not disputing that I should have told her. I am hurt though at the things she said and how obvious it is she do3wnt want to be with me. Over the last year I've wanted nothing but to be a good husband and be totally committed, andits all down the toilet now. She said it was built on a lie.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

datajugend posted:

why would you order stuff and then say no knocking on the door? is the door a gong?

Ever had an infant in the house? At a certain point you are desperate for sleep and/or peace and quiet, and they seem to wake up at every lookout thing. You just got the kid to sleep and are about to take a nap yourself and then a delivery guy pounds on the door like he's gonna break it down because your amazon package is there and the dog starts barking and now the kid is awake for another 3 hours.

That said, she's a dumbass for putting up a sign and getting mad that someone respected the sign.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

datajugend posted:

It can take ages to put a baby down for a nap and then knocking/doorbells can wake it up again

She's just being unreasonable bc food was involved

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CheesyDog posted:

mesomorphinpwrranger• 1h

Wait, isn’t this just a Friends plot?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
:aaa:

AITA For Refusing To Support My Wife Through Her Diagnosis After Her Infidelity
u/randomaccount84756

quote:

My wife and I had a pretty normal marriage. No kids, both employed and really happy together. For 99% of our relationship we didn't have any major problems, we made time for each other, so on and so forth.

She recently went away with her friend for a girls trip. The first two days after she came back everything was fine, and on the third we went to dinner with this friend and her boyfriend. Dinner went well, came home and went to bed. Wife woke me up in the middle of the night crying saying there was something she had to tell me. Long story short, she had cheated on me the entire trip and her friend had cheated on her boyfriend as well, apparently the dinner together caused her to have an attack of conscience because she messaged my wife after I had fallen asleep telling her that she was going to come clean to her partner and my wife had to tell me as well or she would.

We talked, yelled, cried. I spent most of the night sick. Told me it was just a horribly stupid decision and was perfectly happy with me (which honestly makes it worse, why risk a happy marriage for an affair), it wasn't my fault, the usual. I've been staying at my sister's place while we figure out the divorce.

Before this went down she had been scheduled for tests and scans for what we thought were relatively non-serious health problems. Turns out we were wrong, as I was just contacted last week by her cousin telling me a scan revealed cancer. I got in touch with my wife and we talked, she proved her diagnosis and filled me in on some details. She was understandably terrified and begged me to come back, to talk to her, hug her, give her a chance, to be there with her. I told her I wished her all the best, I'm very sorry for what she's going through and know she's strong enough to make it through but while I'd help financially from a distance, I wasn't physically going back.

They (not her) have been harassing me, telling me to man up and go to her. My own friends are split 50/50. I don't want to go back. Before anyone pulls the "this is probably why she cheated!" card, no. We had a good marriage, we had a sit-down talk every month to discuss anything wrong. We were solid. She just chose to take a chance on a quick thrill, despite knowing cheating is a 100% dealbreaker for me. She never even planned to tell me until her friend forced her. While I certainly don't think anyone deserves this and I am sorry it happened to her, in my opinion her diagnosis doesn't change our situation. I feel it'll be harder on both of us with me being there knowing I won't forgive her when it's over. It feels like prolonging the inevitable, and I feel like my obligation to her ended when she chose to betray our marriage. She has family and friends so she isn't alone. I care about the woman I thought I married, but I no longer love who she turned out to be, so I feel it'd be unfair to both of us for me to be there. I'm not trying to punish her, my heart just isn't in it anymore. AITA?

Nah man, gently caress her. The fact this guy is still supporting her financially makes him a saint. Who are these villains telling him to go back?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Piell posted:

The sign

can you make that pic smaller please

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

If you are messing with the foundation and a new basement I hope to hell your contractor submitted the necessary work permits and has lined up the proper building inspections. Or you risk making your home uninsurable or unsellable.

And the answer

quote:

Sort of but it's all good, I don't ever plan on moving or selling the place now.

Son of Grover!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

areyoucontagious posted:

u/randomaccount84756

Karma is a bitch!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

areyoucontagious posted:

u/randomaccount84756

Nah man, gently caress her. The fact this guy is still supporting her financially makes him a saint. Who are these villains telling him to go back?

Nah, she can suffer through her cancer treatments without you. Maybe in her next relationship she won't cheat? Oh, wait:

quote:

Long story short, she had cheated on me the entire trip and her friend had cheated on her boyfriend as well, apparently the dinner together caused her to have an attack of conscience because she messaged my wife after I had fallen asleep telling her that she was going to come clean to her partner and my wife had to tell me as well or she would.

She only told you because her friend was gonna tell. She's trash. She'd have gone on to cheat on you again and again. I don't even think you should help her out financially beyond what is required by the courts.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 28, 2019

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

areyoucontagious posted:

u/randomaccount84756

There are a lot of people who think a bad thing happening to a person absolves them of all wrong, pretty much

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Xik posted:

Honest to god, with our current president and people like Putin and maduro running things that there’s a future on this planet? I say play the fiddle as it sinks. If you save and don’t enjoy it on the banks money, you’re a sucker.

The world's going to hell man. Life is short and I'm gonna live it up while I can! *stares at a screen for hours*

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

areyoucontagious posted:

u/randomaccount84756

This week's Dear Prudence had a similar letter, only the wife initially took back her cheating cancer-stricken husband. But internally, the wife did not want to stay married. Prudie urged her to get therapy and leave her husband. This redditor should do the same.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Speaking of Dear Prudence, today's column linked to a classic Emily-era letter, which is one of the top ten greatest DP letters of all time.

Gastric Warfare
I fear my mother-in-law is poisoning me, but my husband doesn’t believe it.

quote:

Dear Prudence,
My mother-in-law hates me and makes no bones about it when she and I are alone. My husband doesn’t believe me, and she even gloats about that. We have to attend family functions at her home about once a month. (It used to be more frequent, but after I put my foot down, my husband agreed that monthly would be sufficient.) The problem is that after each visit, I wind up with a bad case of diarrhea; my husband does not. I don’t know if the other in-laws are affected, because if I asked, it would get back to her. I suspect that my mother-in-law is putting something in my food or drink. Last time, I barely made it home before being struck down. Now I am considering getting some “adult undergarments” to make sure I don’t ruin the car’s upholstery on the ride home from her place. Do you have any other advice?
—Running for the Hills

Dear Running,
In the great old Cary Grant movie Suspicion, director Alfred Hitchcock has a scene in which possible murderer Grant is bringing a glass of milk to his wife, played by Joan Fontaine, and no beverage has ever looked so malign. Just as Fontaine wasn’t sure if she was being poisoned, you aren’t either. It’s possible you’ve entered a Pavlovian cycle in which when you eat your mother-in-law’s food your digestive tract automatically goes into overdrive, or that there is some ingredient she regularly uses which just doesn’t agree with you. It’s also possible she’s trying to harm you. I’ve been reading a fascinating book, The Poisoner’s Handbook, about poisoners in the early 20th century—it was a popular way to off someone—and the new forensic scientists who exposed them. Peek at your mother-in-law’s Kindle to see if she’s downloaded this. The next time you go for dinner at her house, after the food is served but before you begin eating, you and your husband should agree to swap plates and cups. If you mother-in-law screams to her son, “Don’t eat that!” case closed, Sherlock. Of course, this would require your husband to take your concerns seriously. It’s alarming to think your mother-in-law might be deliberately sickening you. Equally distressing is the fact that your husband does not believe you when you describe her malicious behavior. You need to tell your husband that after becoming repeatedly ill at your in-law’s house, you have become afraid for your health. Tell him you are also afraid for your marriage because he apparently believes you are a liar—which you are not—when it comes to his mother. Say that he needs to take seriously the fact that she says ugly things when you and she are alone, and you are not going to stand for it anymore. If that doesn’t result in his attention and concern, then you may need to move to your mother’s.
—Prudie

And then the letter writer responded a few months later:

quote:

Dear Prudence,
A couple of months ago you answered my letter asking for advice regarding a situation involving my hateful mother-in-law, whom I suspected of tainting my food or drink at family functions at her home. You had suggested swapping plates with my husband to see if my mother-in-law would react. However, as you noted, that would have required bringing my husband into my confidence. I did not feel it was wise to do that, because he already didn’t believe that his mother treated me badly. But the next function was at Easter. She provided a traditional prime rib dinner, set up buffet style, and I could see no way that could be problematic. However, when we arrived at her home, the dinner table was set with place cards and in front of each was a ramekin of horseradish sauce and a small pitcher of au jus. When nobody was looking, I switched the ramekin and pitcher between my husband’s place and mine. After my husband and I returned home, he became wracked with diarrhea, but I was not ill at all. In the morning I told him that I had switched the horseradish and au jus. He looked at me with such hatred in his eyes that I knew he had known all along what his mother was up to. His only words were to accuse me of poisoning him! I quickly packed a couple of bags and raced out of there. I have hired a divorce lawyer and I won’t be looking back. Thank you and your commenters for your advice and concern.
—Alive To Tell the Story

Dear Alive,
I so appreciate your giving us this chilling, stomach-turning update. Thank goodness you got out before your mother-in-law’s condiments turned lethal. When you confer with your divorce attorney, do ask about the possibility of criminal charges. And Readers, on this coming Mother’s Day, if your mother thinks you’re beautiful just the way you are, and your mother-in-law is not trying to kill you, happily lift a glass of (unpoisoned) champagne and celebrate the women in your life.

—Prudie

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TheScott2K posted:

Second, toilets are funny things - they're extremely important, but also pretty uncomplicated, and 99% of the time whatever's wrong can be fixed by one person and a trip to Home Depot. "The toilet's hosed" is kind of a test-moment when it comes to what the kids call "adulting," and boy did he fail it. She didn't fail it, she rose to the occasion, and there was nothing wrong with calling for more experienced help, but just laying down the whole time...unforgivable. That guy's a bum.
An important part of adulting is knowing when to get help, both knowing to stop before more things break, and knowing when the problem is bigger than you can handle.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vim Fuego posted:

Son of Grover!

I hope the secret room isn't behind a load-bearing bookcase :ohdear:

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

DemoneeHo posted:

Speaking of Dear Prudence, today's column linked to a classic Emily-era letter, which is one of the top ten greatest DP letters of all time.

Gastric Warfare
I fear my mother-in-law is poisoning me, but my husband doesn’t believe it.

And then the letter writer responded a few months later:

Whoa, holy poo poo. Honestly didn't see that ending coming, especially the husband knowing what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Straight White Shark posted:

I hope the secret room isn't behind a load-bearing bookcase :ohdear:

I hope it is.