Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

What are treadmill shrimp?

Scientists will put animals on treadmills to film them walking, because studying how different organisms move is useful for, for example, coming up with ways for machines to move. I don't watch Fox, but I'm assuming it's the standard anti-science "we're spending money on this?!!?!" rant, probably pretending they think it's a weight-loss thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

That thing where disingenuous shitheads look at the top line dollar amount on some broad grant package and then dig down to find some small aspect of one of the research projects it covers that on its own sounds a bit silly if you don't know why they're doing it, and then declare that the government is wasting are money.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1111212351204835328 Lol, wonder if he will do it this time.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Minenfeld! posted:

Part of a study of how water quality effects shrimp

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's so frustrating how this administration is getting the benefit of the doubt and completely controlling the narrative behind the Mueller report. People are just whole sale accepting that it exonerates Trump and no one has even seen a glimpse of it.

Is anything in the works to get the report made public?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The shrimp treadmill cost less than $50 and researchers earned about $4 an hour during the study period.

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/shrimp-treadmills-some-science-only-sounds-silly

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My wife said something I thought was cool this morning, although admittedly (her admission, not mine) kind of elitist and biased by her being a liberal arts professor. One of the reasons Zuckerberg is so loving bad is he never finished his college education or took the higher level liberal arts courses, so in his important formative young adult years he never learned critical thinking.

In Europe, most STEM degrees offer zero liberal arts classes (in fact, in countries like Portugal, once you get to high school and you have STEM in mind, you're immediately shunted away from advanced lib arts subjects). I agree they should but I wonder why there are no more disasters coming from here (I bet it's not having insane VC firms)

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 28, 2019

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Studying how to measure energy of the shrimp so as to better understand how to categorize sick shrimp, as that species is huge in terms of the amount we eat, so there's a lot of farmed stuff (which can be sick due to farming related issues).

It's kinda like the studies done to determine the signs a cow is stressed.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Popete posted:

It's so frustrating how this administration is getting the benefit of the doubt and completely controlling the narrative behind the Mueller report. People are just whole sale accepting that it exonerates Trump and no one has even seen a glimpse of it.

This is getting less true every single day unless you're watching Fox News, in which case stop it before your brain rots out completely.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1111273677142798336

NY Times: Hmm... maybe that huge "TRUMP EXONERATED" headline we ran might have been slightly premature? :thunk:

How did they find another more corpulent Steve Bannon with Barr?

Is there a meth party factory somewhere?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The shrimp treadmill cost less than $50 and researchers earned about $4 an hour during the study period.

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/shrimp-treadmills-some-science-only-sounds-silly

The shrimp should unionize!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This is getting less true every single day unless you're watching Fox News, in which case stop it before your brain rots out completely.

I doubt watch any cable news. But I really haven't seen much of anything in regards to the report period, it seems to be getting left behind.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Minenfeld! posted:

A scientific experiment to quantitatively characterize how shrimp move when sick that conservatives seized on because it looks and sounds funny. The apparatus cost $50.

Similar to how "Bear DNA Testing" was paraded around and mocked as wasteful spending when it turns out that using DNA gathered from tufts left on tiny hair-pinching traps is a much much much more economical way to track the movement of particular bears than darting them all and attaching tracking collars.

edit: lol beaten so so badly.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Scientists will put animals on treadmills to film them walking, because studying how different organisms move is useful for, for example, coming up with ways for machines to move. I don't watch Fox, but I'm assuming it's the standard anti-science "we're spending money on this?!!?!" rant, probably pretending they think it's a weight-loss thing.

We based aquatic robotic movement on a species of fish that can move forwards and backward without changing course IIRC. I think it was the triggerfish?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

That specific video they post wasn't even funded research, it was just some guy doing his own experiment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

AceOfFlames posted:

In Europe, most STEM degrees offer zero liberal arts classes (in fact, in countries like Portugal, once you get to high school and you have STEM in mind, you're immediately gently turned away from lib arts subjects). I agree they should but I wonder why there are no more disasters coming from here (I bet it's not having insane VC firms)

Hmm. I earned my STEM degree in Alabama, it required two courses of literature, two of writing, two courses of history, and two courses of ethics. How is this not the case everywhere? These were all "Core" classes everyone has to take in addition to classes related to your major. Even one physical fitness and one geography course was required. The geography class even talked about how hosed borders were because of colonialism.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Popete posted:

Is anything in the works to get the report made public?

Yeah, no that's not actually happening. The Barr Memo didn't shift any opinions, the people who believe that he's committed crimes still believe that he's committed crimes and the people who don't care still don't care.

As far as the second question goes. They're most likely going to have to subpoena it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Popete posted:

I doubt watch any cable news. But I really haven't seen much of anything in regards to the report period, it seems to be getting left behind.

Literally every Democratic Congressman who runs a committee is screaming for its release. They have threatened to subpoena Mueller and ask him questions, something Mueller has indicated he's more than happy to do. The House also passed a resolution calling for its release no later than April 2. Whether that will be followed, I do not know.

No one has forgotten. No one will forget. Don't worry.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Why hasn't the House already subpoenaed Barr/Mueller to hand over the report? That is in their power, correct? Or are they just giving some time for this to simmer for optics reasons?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I would love to see someone do the same sort of outrage reporting about any of the myriad ways the military wastes money. 100 million disappears down a hole and the brass shrugs. Meanwhile troops in the field get garbage bags with the words "body armor" spray painted on the side.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hmm. I earned my STEM degree in Alabama, it required two courses of literature, two of writing, two courses of history, and two courses of ethics. How is this not the case everywhere? These were all "Core" classes everyone has to take in addition to classes related to your major. Even one physical fitness and one geography course was required. The geography class even talked about how hosed borders were because of colonialism.

In Europe they just assume you learned all that stuff in high school. If you're there to be an engineer, they teach you stuff directly related to that. And depending on the country, it is possible you haven't studied stuff like history since middle school since you "don't need it anymore".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_cnJJV8rGU

he cites stop and frisk here lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Last recession, I got fired right after, and I'm only just now recovering from that series of events that that kicked off. There's gotta be people out there that are still feeling the effects of the 08 recession.

My girlfriend finished her masters shortly after the end of the recession and basically hasn't been able to get her career moving at all. She's stuck in the same reasonably well-paying, but part-time with no real potential for advancement job that she had in 2010. I know a bunch of people in similar positions: jobs that aren't bad, but that also aren't good and that offer no way up. It's a brutal position to be in if family or other commitments prevent you from relocating for work and if you can't afford to take a lower paying entry-level position that might get your career moving.

I'm incredibly worried about her and anyone else stuck in that kind of limbo, because I think the next recession is going to be especially devastating to people in that middle ground.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

Why hasn't the House already subpoenaed Barr/Mueller to hand over the report? That is in their power, correct? Or are they just giving some time for this to simmer for optics reasons?

I think because they want to see if they can get it through normal channels first; plus, we still do not have any official notification from the DoJ that they will not release the report.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I like that we've gotten to the point where we've just learned to ignore the constant impotent threats from the president to do tyrannical, economically devastating things because we know not to take his tantrums seriously.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Treadmill shrimp sound cool and useful.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Imagine being either this dumb or being paid to pretend you are this dumb.

https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/1111265818531282944?s=19

Worthless media still shocked when Republicans fall in lock step for Trump was disgusting two years ago.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fishing with the fam posted:

Why hasn't the House already subpoenaed Barr/Mueller to hand over the report?

Because they're loving stupid. They should have had Mueller in the building less than 24 hours after the Barr memo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did schiff call out nunes in his response?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/kristina_wong/status/1111257207025356800

OK I'm finally dead now from hypocrisy, it killed me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Minenfeld! posted:

Remember when Gov Voldemort killed mosquito tracking in Florida right as Zika scared us shitless?

Or when Jindal made fun if Volcano Reporting and then there was a flare-up weeks later.

loving idiots.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I would love to see someone do the same sort of outrage reporting about any of the myriad ways the military wastes money. 100 million disappears down a hole and the brass shrugs. Meanwhile troops in the field get garbage bags with the words "body armor" spray painted on the side.

Ya totally anecdotal but I hired a guy once that ran a military kitchen. They fed about 7,000 troops three meals a day and did not use any recipes or production process to determine what should be made for what meal period, they just sort of winged it. For 7,000 people. On a base with multiple kitchens doing the same thing. They threw away hundreds, if not thousands of servings of food daily, and this poo poo was the norm on who the gently caress knows how many military bases for a long time.

The amount of food wasted is insane, but the dollars tied to that come out to thousands, if not tens of thousands a week. He had other stories of being over-prescribed meds as well, infrastructure on base doing things like replacing all the lightbulbs in buildings just to spend budget money, etc. The military is the most wasteful entity on the planet.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Radish posted:

They knew what they were doing.

yeah and if trump wasn't trump, it would have worked(or at least better). but trump can't help himself, they could have bought them self a month.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

skylined! posted:

Ya totally anecdotal but I hired a guy once that ran a military kitchen. They fed about 7,000 troops three meals a day and did not use any recipes or production process to determine what should be made for what meal period, they just sort of winged it. For 7,000 people. On a base with multiple kitchens doing the same thing. They threw away hundreds, if not thousands of servings of food daily, and this poo poo was the norm on who the gently caress knows how many military bases for a long time.

The amount of food wasted is insane, but the dollars tied to that come out to thousands, if not tens of thousands a week. He had other stories of being over-prescribed meds as well, infrastructure on base doing things like replacing all the lightbulbs in buildings just to spend budget money, etc. The military is the most wasteful entity on the planet.

Yup. The whole "well we are under budget, that means we have to spend as much of the difference as possible to make sure we dont get it cut" is sooooo loving stupid and that mentality needs to die.

Like, I thought being under budget was a good thing?

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Paradoxish posted:

My girlfriend finished her masters shortly after the end of the recession and basically hasn't been able to get her career moving at all. She's stuck in the same reasonably well-paying, but part-time with no real potential for advancement job that she had in 2010. I know a bunch of people in similar positions: jobs that aren't bad, but that also aren't good and that offer no way up. It's a brutal position to be in if family or other commitments prevent you from relocating for work and if you can't afford to take a lower paying entry-level position that might get your career moving.

I know the primary reason I was able to snag my position had less to do with my degree and more to do with the fact I was willing to move anywhere and everywhere at the drop of a hat. If I had put down any sort of roots during the recession and couldn't be mobile, I would have been completely hosed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I think because they want to see if they can get it through normal channels first; plus, we still do not have any official notification from the DoJ that they will not release the report.

Ya I kinda understand the desire to be traditional and go through the norms before hitting the nuclear subpoena options but uh, they need to just skip to the end on this one.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mendrian posted:

People do that all the time.

Usually it's exactly as dumb.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Minenfeld! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj-yAHTfVeE

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

My wife said something I thought was cool this morning, although admittedly (her admission, not mine) kind of elitist and biased by her being a liberal arts professor. One of the reasons Zuckerberg is so loving bad is he never finished his college education or took the higher level liberal arts courses, so in his important formative young adult years he never learned critical thinking.

I don't by it. I did finish my degree but I was a transfer student with an Associate's degree. This exempted me from essentially all my liberal arts requirements, and I had been exempted from a bunch of them at the school I got my Associate's at because of AP credits from high school.

I haven't taken a class on English, Literature or anything related since 12th grade, and literally the only "liberal arts" class I remember taking that was more than 100-level was a loving class about dinosaurs that I took for fun (which turned out to be way more work than I expected; also, in hindsight, there was something ironic about learning about dinosaurs and Java applets the same semester).

I think Zuck could go get a PhD in humanities, and still be a complete and total shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when Gov Voldemort killed mosquito tracking in Florida right as Zika scared us shitless?

Or when Jindal made fun if Volcano Reporting and then there was a flare-up weeks later.

loving idiots.

Remember when the Mars Rover was new and a Fox News talking head tried a gotcha question to the science guest and then the expert answered "I'm talking to you bt a satellite. a sat in space."
And the ice burn was so strong it created this timeline where that talking head no longer exists,