Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LiquidFriend posted:

Ed Oliver is going in the top 5.

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah, mocks have him dropping and I don't buy it one bit. He's so drat fast

He went top 5 in our Goon Draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Defense is so deep this year that I want my team to take him too bc guys that big and fast that can block and has good hands are extremely rare, whereas there's good defensive players throughout every round this draft.

Plus the team just plugged their big holes with Smith/Smith/Amos and don't necessarily have to draft a defender high this year just to plug a hole, like they had to last year with Jaire at cornerback because the alternative was starting Tramon Williams and Kevin King with 1.5 shoulders.

What really gets me excited about Hock is that every time Rodgers has had a mismatch TE to throw to (Finley, healthy Jared Cook) he's looked unstoppable. It's why Ted and Gute have spent so much money trying to fish a TE out of free agency, with not-great results so far. That Hock is also good at blocking is an extra bonus because of LaFleur's offense frequently having two TEs on the field.

:v: As I said, you can see that I'm talking myself into it more and more even though I was looking forward to picking up someone like Devin White or another defender who fell out of the top 10.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

wandler20 posted:

He went top 5 in our Goon Draft.
That's probably the right spot for him. They're already rumbling about getting rid of McCoy and he seems like the perfect player that Arians would choose, so I'd be surprised if he's not the pick.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Just change that thought to the Packers trading up from 30 to nab a top 15 player who falls.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I'm actually dying of laughter. Charlie Casserly thinks Daniel Jones is a better prospect than Josh Rosen.

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1111037662243237893

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hasn’t Hock to the Packers been in like every mock draft since December? It’s the perfect marriage of player and team.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kiimo posted:

Hasn’t Hock to the Packers been in like every mock draft since December? It’s the perfect marriage of player and team.

Lions or Bengals might snap him up before the Packers get their turn at the podium.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This might be one of my favorite plays from last year:

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1103002192401915904

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I think Burns is much better than Sweat, but Burns would disappear for large chunks of time no?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you don't sweat you will overheat but i don't think it causes burns

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Blitz7x posted:

I think Burns is much better than Sweat, but Burns would disappear for large chunks of time no?

Not really. He was the guy that shows up every game and doesn't really stop the entire game. I'm not saying he dominated the entire time but the effort is definitely there.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Cavauro posted:

if you don't sweat you will overheat but i don't think it causes burns

He's talking about nfl draft picks. Trolling isn't very polite of you

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Big Jesus posted:

He's talking about nfl draft picks. Trolling isn't very polite of you

Who the hell is talking about Polite we're discussing Sweat Burns

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Wow.

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1111301088894947329

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Top 5 confirmed

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Dontari Poe ran a 4.8 while weighing like a hundred pounds more than Oliver

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

4.98 in the 40 at 342 apparently

So...

(If Wikipedia is wrong sue me)

Edit:
Looks like Poe ain’t the only slow one :cool:

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 28, 2019

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SHOAH NUFF posted:

60lbs and 4.98.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wandler20 posted:

60lbs and 4.98.

Look that doesn't sound nearly as impressive.

I heard once that Grady Jarrett ran a 4.4 weighing more than 3 offensive linemen combined.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Poe ran at the combine so it's basically a 4.8 hand timed.

I'm not sure how much I'm joking here, but I'm betting if Oliver ran at the combine it wouldn't be 4.71.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

weird Asian candy posted:

Look that doesn't sound nearly as impressive.

I heard once that Grady Jarrett ran a 4.4 weighing more than 3 offensive linemen combined.

it’s like none of these lames have ever told a story

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

it’s like none of these lames have ever told a story

I appreciated the theatrics. These guys are all made for tv and we are all hollywood. I get you bro :hfive:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Joke's on you TV is Hollywood now.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Blitz7x posted:

They're pretty comparable in terms of the rate in which they generated pressure in college.

Sweat is the better run defender, and I think there's a pretty reasonable hope that you can develop him into a little bit more of a power-oriented player who can play tighter techniques, where Burns is an obligate edge defender.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

kiimo posted:

Be the first time in 16 years the Packers have taken a rb/wr/te in the first. QB or defense only for em for a while now

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It's almost as if 40 times are useless

Oliver is seriously a freak I don't know where he goes or where a team puts him when they take him. I read some draftnik commentary that he could stand up and play ILB (in the 3-4) and I was like that's stupid but the more I think about it the more I want to see it happen

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/CarasikS/status/1111315311951859712

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
JJ Watt tying LdT is freakish as hell but beating it at a projected DT spot lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
If Haskins fell into your lap would you Dolphins guys be into that?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Azhais posted:

Be the first time in 16 years the Packers have taken a rb/wr/te in the first. QB or defense only for em for a while now

I don't profess to know more about the Packers than anybody else but I do know that they have a new coach eager to change the culture and a pissed off QB who could use Hockenson in every facet of the game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Play posted:

🤷🏻‍♂️

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol

https://twitter.com/angryscout2/status/1111313198748221440

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Play posted:

Yeah, I think he's a good fit for the offense and I'm fairly comfortable that Jim Caldwell is a good enough QB coach and a relative lack of urgency are a good fit to deal with his flaws as a player.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

drat, I've put so much work into draftpimp.edu and he roasts me like that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So uh, what is this huge knock on Oliver?

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1111311410687078401

Edit: Interview here and he says he can run 4.6...

https://twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/1111323831027798018

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 28, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The knocks on Oliver is that he can't maintain gaps or deal with double teams well so plugging him in at DT is kinda shaky at the next level. Some people still care about sacks and he didn't get a lot of them considering how gifted he is at getting into the backfield.

He's a polarizing prospect and a unique one at that. I wouldn't blame teams for picking up more solid all around guys.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

wandler20 posted:

So uh, what is this huge knock on Oliver?
jacketgate

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't think Oliver is really all that complicated. Put him as a 3-technique and don't ask him to play more conservative techniques in the run game.

There are plenty of teams in the top 10 that can accommodate that schematically.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I hope David Montgomery’s slow 40 drops him into the 3rd round or so and the Chiefs pick him up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I don't think Oliver is really all that complicated. Put him as a 3-technique and don't ask him to play more conservative techniques in the run game.

There are plenty of teams in the top 10 that can accommodate that schematically.

He might be better with a strong ILB behind him who can clean up if he penetrates himself out of the play. Most of the time that penetration will cause way more problems for the opponent than for him, though. So yeah, not that complicated just set that beast loose imo