Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

eames posted:

The regular iPad's screen isn't laminated. The difference was immediately obvious to me when I first saw the regular 2018 iPad. There's also the extended color space and truetone. I'm tempted to get a mini, the only thing that strikes me as odd that it seems to have a home button with physical button travel. Not sure about the air. I'm waiting to see both in person.

If the Air is basically a Pro 10.5 minus the Pro features, it's still got an actual clicky button. I haven't seen an iPad with a 7/8 style home button. Likely because they don't have a vibrate motor to produce the haptic feedback. Or because of the mounting of the Touch ID sensor bracket - they may not trust the "glue to the back of the glass, sandwich between frame & glass" iPads use as much as the "screw into the plastic frame that the glass is mounted to" that iPhones use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

gariig posted:

Best Buy and Amazon have the iPad Pro 11" (and 12.9) on sale. I was debating on getting the iPad Air but at $175 more I feel like the Pro will be worth the extra cash. If you want small Mini is the only way to fly

If you have a micro center near you then they have the iPad Pro on sale and Best Buy price matches them. I got the 256gb for $799 and sold my old iPad Air 2 and love it so much. I wanted Face ID on my iPad as I love it on my iPhone. Only downside to me was no headphone jack so I also had to get the AirPods. drat you Apple taking a chunk of my bonus

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TVs Ian posted:

If the Air is basically a Pro 10.5 minus the Pro features, it's still got an actual clicky button. I haven't seen an iPad with a 7/8 style home button. Likely because they don't have a vibrate motor to produce the haptic feedback. Or because of the mounting of the Touch ID sensor bracket - they may not trust the "glue to the back of the glass, sandwich between frame & glass" iPads use as much as the "screw into the plastic frame that the glass is mounted to" that iPhones use.

Doesn’t it even use the old 10.5 smart keyboards?

e: How do I dislike a story in News now without opening the story? On my iPhone I can swipe right on the story from the feed, and I feel like before the newest iOS there used to be a share button in the bottom right corner of each story's "card" that I tapped to unlike a story. Now that button isn't there and long pressing the card does nothing. Did they really change it so that I needed to open each story to dislike it?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 28, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Okay, it's 'official...' the new iPad Mini is a Good Gaming Machine.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/28/fortnite-on-new-ipad-mini-5-cements-it-as-a-solid-gaming-device

Plays Fortnite at 60 fps with popping colors. Sign me the gently caress up.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Plays Fortnite at 60 fps with popping colors.

Lol, truly a milestone in gaming, what will Apple achieve next

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Tbh if apple had prioritized a controller standard/compatibility with existing controllers like macOS has and encouraged the proliferation of such an ecosystem the iPad could’ve been the PC to the Nintendo Switch. There’s no reason DOOM can’t run on an iPad from the last like 3 years except that Apple doesn’t want to make money hand over fist in that particular way

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

Okay, it's 'official...' the new iPad Mini is a Good Gaming Machine.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/28/fortnite-on-new-ipad-mini-5-cements-it-as-a-solid-gaming-device

Plays Fortnite at 60 fps with popping colors. Sign me the gently caress up.

The tablet's literally iPhone XS internals (minus 1GB of RAM) in the standard iPad mini form factor. Why wouldn't it be an excellent gaming machine? Same deal with the new iPad Air, which is an equally great tablet with iPhone XS internals.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Should you be able to send phone numbers messages from your iPad if you have iCloud messages turned on?

I got a new iPad and did an iCloud restore and since then I haven’t been able to send messages to numbers via SMS from the iPad. It works fine from my MacBook.

I’ve toggled off the iCloud messages toggle in the settings, and also signed out and back in to iCloud. Anything else I could try?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

Should you be able to send phone numbers messages from your iPad if you have iCloud messages turned on?

I got a new iPad and did an iCloud restore and since then I haven’t been able to send messages to numbers via SMS from the iPad. It works fine from my MacBook.

I’ve toggled off the iCloud messages toggle in the settings, and also signed out and back in to iCloud. Anything else I could try?

iMessage or SMS? SMS to non iPhones I think only works if your iPhone is powered on and in Bluetooth range.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

iMessage or SMS? SMS to non iPhones I think only works if your iPhone is powered on and in Bluetooth range.

It was SMS.

I had to tick off a box in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding in order to get everything working! And now it does!

This new mini rules.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

It was SMS.

I had to tick off a box in Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding in order to get everything working! And now it does!

This new mini rules.

Instead just don’t talk to anyone with the “cursed green bubbles” I find it’s a good policy and until they get blue, no message for you.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’ve seen some people modify the Apple Pencil so it has a the clipper bit of an ordinary pen- so you can attach it to pockets etc

Does anyone have a handy guide for doing that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sri.Theo posted:

I’ve seen some people modify the Apple Pencil so it has a the clipper bit of an ordinary pen- so you can attach it to pockets etc

Does anyone have a handy guide for doing that?

https://9to5mac.com/2015/12/13/how-to-add-pen-clip-to-apple-pencil/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I dunno if this is more of an iPad question or an OSX question, but is there an easy (and preferably cheap or free) way to use my iPad as a graphic tablet? I don't need anything too detailed, I just have to cut out some shapes in Photoshop in work and using a Pencil seems like it would be easier than a trackpad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

I dunno if this is more of an iPad question or an OSX question, but is there an easy (and preferably cheap or free) way to use my iPad as a graphic tablet? I don't need anything too detailed, I just have to cut out some shapes in Photoshop in work and using a Pencil seems like it would be easier than a trackpad.

Astropad is the one I know about. It's not super cheap ($29 for the hobby license).

Here's a breakdown of their pricing and features.

https://astropad.com/pricing/

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Proteus Jones posted:

Astropad is the one I know about. It's not super cheap ($29 for the hobby license).

Here's a breakdown of their pricing and features.

https://astropad.com/pricing/
Hmm a bit much for all I need it for right now but I'll keep it in mind in case bigger jobs come up - thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Hmm a bit much for all I need it for right now but I'll keep it in mind in case bigger jobs come up - thanks!

Will Adobe Shape do it? Or maybe one of the other Adobe CC apps (Draw, etc?). Those are all free if you have an Adobe account.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I just bought an iPad mini 2019 and the 1st gen Pencil. What’s the best way to carry this thing around? Should I keep the pencil and iPad in close proximity of one another or will that cause battery loss? Any other case recommendations?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

I just bought an iPad mini 2019 and the 1st gen Pencil. What’s the best way to carry this thing around? Should I keep the pencil and iPad in close proximity of one another or will that cause battery loss? Any other case recommendations?

I like the Herschel Anchor case, and it’s often on sale for cheap both direct from the company and through other retailers.

If you look for felt iPad sleeves on Amazon, you get a bunch of hits including for some ~$10 AmazonBasics ones that have pockets that might fit the Pencil. In any case it shouldn’t be too hard to lightly mod a case to put a pencil loop on it.

That’s hardly ideal tho, I think. I too am struggling with a good way to store the gen 1 Apple Pencil with my 2018 iPad. I’m getting to the point where I might just get a literal pencil case or one of the $6 semi rigid cases I see on amazon. I’ve been keeping it in its box in my backpack.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've never been able to carry the Apple Pencil like a normal pen or pencil. It's just too long, so sticking it in a pocket or using any of my arty pen holders doesn't work. Your best bet may be a case with an integrated Pencil carrier. I tried putting it in an iPad sleeve once and the Pencil kept on falling out because while it's too big for any pocket it sure loves to slide out the smallest openings in any container you put it into.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

BoyBlunder posted:

I have one of these for my 10.5. It works great.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I lost my Apple Pencil despite buying the Logitech Keyboard which has a loop in it and now I’m really salty about buying a new one.

So I have no useful advice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So there's this recent trend in sailboats to use iPads as remote interfaces for the navigational systems on boats. It works really well, and has pretty low requirements so it's not strictly necessary to use the latest and greatest iPad, the most important thing is to get a waterproof LifeProof case for it

Click to embiggen

So option 1 is buy an iPad air from 3-4 years ago, but those still use the legacy lightning connectors, and nothing else on the boat uses lightning, plus investing in that ecosystem at this point seems fruitless

Is there a normal size iPad that has USB-C that is a couple years old? I know the mega size iPad pro has USB-C but it's too big for flopping about in the cockpit untethered, 7-10 inches is ideal

Also what's the best place to go find refurbished iPads these days? I've tried swappa and eBay in the past but not for Apple products

I guess basically, what's the cheapest way to buy a USB-C iPad these days

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

So there's this recent trend in sailboats to use iPads as remote interfaces for the navigational systems on boats. It works really well, and has pretty low requirements so it's not strictly necessary to use the latest and greatest iPad, the most important thing is to get a waterproof LifeProof case for it

Click to embiggen

So option 1 is buy an iPad air from 3-4 years ago, but those still use the legacy lightning connectors, and nothing else on the boat uses lightning, plus investing in that ecosystem at this point seems fruitless

Is there a normal size iPad that has USB-C that is a couple years old? I know the mega size iPad pro has USB-C but it's too big for flopping about in the cockpit untethered, 7-10 inches is ideal

Also what's the best place to go find refurbished iPads these days? I've tried swappa and eBay in the past but not for Apple products

I guess basically, what's the cheapest way to buy a USB-C iPad these days

Lightning isn’t legacy. The new iPad pros use USB C, but Apple just released a new iPad Air and Mini that use lightning. It is a bit maddening that they won’t clarify, but it sounds like lightning will be around for a long time. There is nothing guaranteeing that next years iPhones will be USB-C either.

So really, unless you want to pay $800-1000 for an iPad just for USB-C, I think getting a few lightning cables will be the cheaper route.

Maybe look at the new Mini if you want the most up to date, or get the iPad 9.7” 2018. You can probably get the 9.7” new or refurbished for around the price of an Air 2 or whatever, but will be more up to date.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Apple just released a new iPad Air and Mini that use lightning.

So really, unless you want to pay $800-1000 for an iPad just for USB-C

Do all iPad pros have USB-C? For example this one is refurbished and listed at $290 but nobody's websites tell you which charging standard they use

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electr...h4aAmX5EALw_wcB

If I can get a refurbished iPad pro with USB-C for under $500 then that is probably ideal as the iPads have the best waterproof cases

Really not interested in putting lightning on the boat, we are equipped for one standard, everything else on the boat uses USB-C including all the crew's cell phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Do all iPad pros have USB-C? For example this one is refurbished and listed at $290 but nobody's websites tell you which charging standard they use

https://www.blinq.com/detail/electr...h4aAmX5EALw_wcB

If I can get a refurbished iPad pro with USB-C for under $500 then that is probably ideal as the iPads have the best waterproof cases

Really not interested in putting lightning on the boat, we are equipped for one standard
No, only the 2018 iPads Pro have USB-C. Just get a 2018 non-Pro iPad on sale for $250ish and spend the rest of your budget on Lightning cables and/or beer.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It’s an interconnect cable

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

No, only the 2018 iPads Pro have USB-C. Just get a 2018 non-Pro iPad on sale for $250ish and spend the rest of your budget on Lightning cables and/or beer.

Yeah this. You can get the non pro for stupid cheap and get some decent cables and be set.

I’m not really sure what the issue is with using the lightning cables?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

All my phones, laptops (work and personal), game consoles, headphones etc use USB-C. I don't have any micro USB or proprietary laptop chargers floating around the house anymore, it's fantastic. Everything is just a USB-C PD charger now and everything can charge off of anything, no questions asked. I don't want to go back to multi cable hell, I just left. I'm especially not going to go back to join Apple's walled hardware garden

The iPad looked like a good option because it was going to support USB-C but as someone pointed out, Apple released their consumer grade iPads and they still use the old lightning connector, so that's a non starter.

Anyways, not going to worry about it now, I'll keep an eye on refurbished prices and just use my phone for now, thanks guys

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this. You can get the non pro for stupid cheap and get some decent cables and be set.

I'm gathering he only wants to have one cable type (USB-C) on the boat, which makes total sense, but there's adapters and pigtails and all sorts of things to get around this and use Lightning unless cost is genuinely no object, in which case get the 11" iPad Pro (2018).

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there any good suggestions for 2018 11" iPad pro cases that have a spot for the Apple Pencil? Looking for something under $50 if possible

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gariig posted:

Is there any good suggestions for 2018 11" iPad pro cases that have a spot for the Apple Pencil? Looking for something under $50 if possible

It's a little more than that your max price ($70), but this is my current case and I love it. It has an elastic pocket on the back that fits the Pencil for transport, but also has a molded magnetic spot to dock the Pencil for charging when in use (or just sitting on the desk or in a drawer or something).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1M4PHY

Also, I recommend pairing it with the K380 for a reliable, inexpensive BT keyboard.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FINALLY

Logitech Slim Folio out for 2018 iPad Pros!!!

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/slim-folio-pro

E: poo poo. Pre-order only.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 4, 2019

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Proteus Jones posted:

FINALLY

Logitech Slim Folio out for 2018 iPad Pros!!!

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/slim-folio-pro

Hmm I think I’ll keep my Smart Keyboard. It’s not as protective but I really like how easy it is to snap in and out and use naked.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheManWithNoName posted:

Hmm I think I’ll keep my Smart Keyboard. It’s not as protective but I really like how easy it is to snap in and out and use naked.

Yeah, plus it's still in "pre-order" at Logitech. Also BT and not Smart Keyboard. My desire for this has lessened.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Why did they go Bluetooth? The smart port is right there.

Aren't Bluetooth keyboards kind of janky in iOS? Like issues where the on-screen keyboard will pop up when you don't want it to, or did Apple fix that in later iOS iterations?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why did they go Bluetooth? The smart port is right there.

Aren't Bluetooth keyboards kind of janky in iOS? Like issues where the on-screen keyboard will pop up when you don't want it to, or did Apple fix that in later iOS iterations?

Tbf, Logitechs BT keyboards have always been rock solid for me. Others have been hit or miss, but Logitech work flawlessly for me.

But yeah, the whole not using the Smart Port is weird. I’m guessing because it’s been moved to the back maybe? Also, the more I look at it, the more unneeded bulk I see. I get some people like having a protective case (and I’m currently using one), but for a slim case I really would have liked them take advantage of the magnet on the back (along with the Smart Port) like the Apple Smart Keyboard does.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I actually really like being able to feel and see the finish on my iPad which is why I use a sleeve but gently caress me lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What are the chances there's a new 12.9 iPad Pro this year?

I *kinda* wanna replace my 2015 iPad Pro, but honestly I can probably hang for another year and run it into the ground, to save $$$. Great tablet still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you flip a coin you’ll get an answer.