Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

selec posted:

I kinda hate that our government can always seem to “afford” poo poo like war and graft, and that ostensible allies are on board with the ability to not give a poo poo about those expenditures, but suddenly become extremely stingy about spending that money on social programs. That’s about the size of it, I loving loathe that hypocrisy. Obama is an enormous, glaring example of this. Ostensibly liberal, but incredibly loving stingy with giving money to the poor instead of the war.

So what the gently caress is wrong with you?

I made a joke where I called Asheville good, and you posted this

Get a normal brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Treadmill shrimp is us. We are all treadmill shrimp.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even if the entire point of that research was just to get us videos of a shrimp running on a treadmill it would have been worth the money.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I made a joke where I called Asheville good, and you posted this

Get a normal brain

Asheville’s a great town,, sorry for talking politics in your politics thread

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Pigbuster posted:

Even if the entire point of that research was to get us videos of a shrimp running on a treadmill it would have been worth the money.

Put a headband on the shrimp and make it a montage and you got the makings of a Netflix original series.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I don't mean to be combative, but I'm passionate about this. Apologies if I come off like a dick.

But how much harder, exactly, should they have tried? What could they have done

What did Trump do that banned bump stocks, and why couldn't Obama have done that

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

selec posted:

Pretty easy for him to tut tut freshmen Congress members with questions on How Are They Gonna Pay For It for programs designed to save lives and our entire planet. Why doesn’t he take senior members to task on the same question when they vote for multi-billion dollar increases to military budgets that Trump requests?

And somebody needs to tell him how we’re gonna pay for it: we’re gonna use rich people’s money, same method you used for that vacation home.

Yeah, he found money to bail out the entire loving banking system, we can find money to not let the planet burn and kill us all.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but I want to keep my quiet little mountain home, dammit.

It's getting expensive.

And by mine I mean my parents'.

Never you mind.

My grandfather had two houses and huge lands. 5 years later he managed to die in a rental apartment with not even enough money left to pay for his funeral. This boomer thing just triggers when they get old. Like some wealth self-destruct mechanism.

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 28, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

VitalSigns posted:

What did Trump do that banned bump stocks, and why couldn't Obama have done that

Obama *could* have, but bump stocks weren't in the public consciousness until after the Vegas shooting, which happened during Trump's presidency. Also, as I've said before, banning a particular accessory is literally the absolute least you can do to fix it and that's not even really a fix. It will have a negligible effect on gun violence.

Bump stocks should be banned, yes, but as part of a bigger package of gun reform, and not just as a standalone measure.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Obama *could* have, but bump stocks weren't in the public consciousness until after the Vegas shooting, which happened during Trump's presidency. Also, as I've said before, banning a particular accessory is literally the absolute least you can do to fix it and that's not even really a fix. It will have a negligible effect on gun violence.

Bump stocks should be banned, yes, but as part of a bigger package of gun reform, and not just as a standalone measure.
This is the dumbest defense of a bad president.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only bad president anyone is defending is Obama

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
All presidents are bad, but some presidents are worse than others.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Well, I'm glad after 8 years of mass shooting and weepy sad speeches about how sad he was that Obama did less then literally the absolute least he could do.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, he found money to bail out the entire loving banking system, we can find money to not let the planet burn and kill us all.

Right? All I’m saying here is this country can find the money for anything we want to do; it’s just that any media platform of any size is controlled by people who do not want the same things we do, and Obama buddies up to them, not us. So now he wants different things than we do too.

He picked a side, and it wasn’t the side of people too broke to use their insurance, or kids hoping to have a planet worth living on in a few decades. He may say he’s on our side, but you’d have to be loving disastrously naive and credulous to believe that from all we’ve heard and seen since he left office.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The only bad president anyone is defending is Obama
:thejoke:

1glitch0 posted:

Well, I'm glad after 8 years of mass shooting and weepy sad speeches about how sad he was that Obama did less then literally the absolute least he could do.
Obama was great for the gun industry.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Yes. Why couldn't famous black president Obama make changes to gun laws in this country?

Perhaps it will always be a mystery why he didn't do this very easy thing.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Obama was probably the best president we've had in 50 years and I am not saying that in a positive way.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Katt posted:

Never you mind.

My grandfather had two houses and huge lands. 5 years later he managed to die in a rental apartment with not even enough money left to pay for his funeral. This boomer thing just triggers when they get old. Like some wealth self-destruct mechanism.

I’m handling the care of an elderly relative who had a stroke. She has a decent amount of money squirreled away but you would be absolutely amazed (or might already know) how expensive long term care is if you need memory care. She could easily live another decade and if she does I won’t be surprised at all if she burns through everything.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Is he trying not to melt steel beams?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Jet fuel can't melt steel crucifixes

God drat it.

The corruption is just so loving blatant.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Obama was probably the best president we've had in 50 years and I am not saying that in a positive way.
Jimmy Carter :colbert:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

selec posted:

Right? All I’m saying here is this country can find the money for anything we want to do; it’s just that any media platform of any size is controlled by people who do not want the same things we do, and Obama buddies up to them, not us. So now he wants different things than we do too.

He picked a side, and it wasn’t the side of people too broke to use their insurance, or kids hoping to have a planet worth living on in a few decades. He may say he’s on our side, but you’d have to be loving disastrously naive and credulous to believe that from all we’ve heard and seen since he left office.

Yeah, even the bailout itself was a joke.

"We have to save the banks or the economy will collapse!"

"Maybe we should bail out the homeowners from being underwater on their mortgages."

"Whoa... hold on, we can't reward irresponsible behavior!"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Katt posted:

Never you mind.

The "Boomer thing just triggers when they get old" is actually just having to use our hosed up healthcare system that's a toilet flushing infinite money.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

xrunner posted:

I’m handling the care of an elderly relative who had a stroke. She has a decent amount of money squirreled away but you would be absolutely amazed (or might already know) how expensive long term care is if you need memory care. She could easily live another decade and if she does I won’t be surprised at all if she burns through everything.

Yeah, a few years of memory care will loving wipe out pretty much anyone whose wealth isn't self-sustaining. So much Boomer wealth is going to evaporate into the pockets of nursing home cartel shareholders.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Katt posted:

Now imagine if your parents never had any generational wealth to potentially pass on.

mango sentinel posted:

The "Boomer thing just triggers when they get old" is actually just having to use our hosed up healthcare system that's a toilet flushing infinite money.

Yes it's this.

They're going to suck a dying old dry because they can.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

xrunner posted:

We have free healthcare and in his last month of life he laid a new floor over at his girlfriends apartment and I suspect he bought it too :v:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

mango sentinel posted:

This was Sweden with free healthcare.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1111328861134966784

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Katt posted:

Never you mind.

If your family has any assets at all, MAKE A RETIREMENT PLAN WITH AN ELDER LAW ATTORNEY.

Otherwise it *will* all get eaten by end of life medical costs.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

1glitch0 posted:

Ok well gently caress him for not banning an accessory which will do nothing.

Any type of gun reform would have expanded extensive political capital, so forgive him if he didn't blow his wad on "random accessory."

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

InsertPotPun posted:

Yes. Why couldn't famous black president Obama make changes to gun laws in this country?

Perhaps it will always be a mystery why he didn't do this very easy thing.

Pretty dick move that they didn't give a black president a pen in the oval office so he could sign an executive order.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Jimmy Carter :colbert:

Jimmy Carter is the reason why we have government shutdowns

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If your family has any assets at all, MAKE A RETIREMENT PLAN WITH AN ELDER LAW ATTORNEY.

Otherwise it *will* all get eaten by end of life medical costs.

Hey do this even if the situation's already gotten bad and you're looking at a medicaid spend down or something similar, an attorney may still be able to help.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Majorian's most consistent position is that if people simply were more passionate about things, they would have succeeded.

That's never been my argument. My argument has always been that you have a better chance of succeeding if you try hard, and your voting constituencies will reward you for that. Come on, I know you're joking, but I'm kind of amazed that this is still something you haven't internalized.:nallears:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

Pretty dick move that they didn't give a black president a pen in the oval office so he could sign an executive order.

You'd think after 2 years and 3 months of Trump people would realize that Executive Orders aren't unstoppable but I guess it's time for a refresher.

Barack Obama signed an executive order to close Guantanamo Bay. The Republicans, predictably, found ways to impede the progress of this via Appropriations and Funding bills that removed funding for things like transfers, as well as complaining about how it's too risky and dangerous to have those evil terrorists on our own soil in regular people courts instead of secret tribunals. So do you really think, with even less of congress in Democratic control at the time of Sandy Hook, that an executive order for gun control would pass without challenge?

Majorian posted:

That's never been my argument. My argument has always been that you have a better chance of succeeding if you try hard, and your voting constituencies will reward you for that. Come on, I know you're joking, but I'm kind of amazed that this is still something you haven't internalized.:nallears:

Sounds more like to me that you think empty feel good gestures like banning bump stocks are infinitely better than trying and failing to have meaningful gun control debates including having a sit-in in congress to try and force the GOP to debate, which actually didn't reward the Democrats at all if 2016 was any indication.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 28, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christchurch wasn't even two weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1110942121471721474

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Watch them uncover how the CPD manufactured evidence.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...how would a Christian University supply jet fuel? :psyduck:

They aren't even clever with coming up with grift reasons

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 28, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Lycus posted:

Watch them uncover how the CPD manufactured evidence.

It's clear to anyone who's racist reasonable that this investigation will reveal that Jussie Smollett used his incredible mind powers to force the prosecutors to drop all charges against him.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
For how much islamophobes shed crocodile tears for the plight of lg (minus the btqia+ etc.) folks in muslim societies, islamophobia is probably the #1 corresponding belief to homophobic and transphobic views.