Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Meanwhile the turtle is getting ready to start turboconfirming trump appointees.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1111350119268528128?s=21

Can district court judges be thrown out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Confounding Factor posted:

Why would you watch a movie 4 times if you didn't like it the first time?

People who's opinion I respect said it was amazing and smart sci-fi. I love amazing smart sci-fi. I was trying to see what I was misssing. I did not locate it.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pigbuster posted:

The argument is that he can’t possibly be alt-right because he criticizes the alt-right all the time.

By that metric no one in this thread is a leftist, either.

there are leftists in here ...?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does this provision take into account changes in population, electoral votes, or the addition or removal of states from the Union?

Be real funny if adding PR as a state fucks it up

Yea it just stipulates that it takes effect states comprising a simple majority of electoral votes join, it doesn't specify an exact number like 270 which would be dumb

quote:

This agreement shall take effect when states cumulatively possessing a majority of the electoral votes have enacted this agreement in substantially the same form and the enactments by such states have taken effect in each state.
http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/sites/default/files/eve-4th-ed-ch6-web-v1.pdf

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Nail Rat posted:

Why the gently caress is he making this a hill to die on? loving move on you corrupt piece of poo poo and get the gently caress out of office ASAP.

It’s because a black man didn’t get hosed over. That’s all. Could you imagine billing every (white) person not convicted of a crime for the cost of their investigation? People would go insane.

There was a state senator on CNN today talking about how he was proposing a law that any production in Illinois that hired Jussie would be ineligible for tax breaks. Of course he kept calling him Justin because god forbid he actually learn the name of the person he’s trying to black ball. But how is that basically another Kaepernick style lawsuit waiting to happen, but this time government sanctioned?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Wow, Mueller really dropped the ball when he didn't hire you to run the investigation. All this obvious evidence right under his nose! What a schmuck! Sad!

Riddle me this, if the report really exonerates Trump and proves that the whole things is just some sort of hoax perpetrated by the Democrats in the FBI and Intel Community (famously liberal organizations all) why are they so resistant to releasing it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Yea it just stipulates that it takes effect states comprising a simple majority of electoral votes join, it doesn't specify an exact number like 270 which would be dumb

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/sites/default/files/eve-4th-ed-ch6-web-v1.pdf

SO it could theoretically take effect, then more states join the Union, raising the needed number?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Meanwhile the turtle is getting ready to start turboconfirming trump appointees.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1111350119268528128?s=21

The fact that the Democrats let McConnell get away with this obstruction for eight years because "we can't overrule them with our majority or they'll do the same to us" is so loving ridiculous and every single one of them in leadership needs to be forced out for incompetence

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

People who's opinion I respect said it was amazing and smart sci-fi. I love amazing smart sci-fi. I was trying to see what I was misssing. I did not locate it.

For me, there was a bit of proper alien-sense about the physical appearance of the visitors. And the exploration of their communication skills was at least an interesting device.

I agree that it wasn't a great film though, basically just a flawed adaptation of a short story that probably was too thin to support being buffed up to film-length. Also you're right about Amy Adams, I don't see it either but she keeps getting work so maybe we're not viewing her right.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Shapiro has a kid? Ugh that’s unfortunate.

Yeah and as I recall he used his kid being tough to take care of as a “this is what a REAL feminist looks like” talking point - how his doctor wife took care of a sick kid and still took care of her patients.

Nail Rat posted:

Why the gently caress is he making this a hill to die on? loving move on you corrupt piece of poo poo and get the gently caress out of office ASAP.

I kinda hope he does try this because single handedly trying to punish someone your DA’s office has dropped charges against seems like really asking to get demolished in court. Or maybe I’m missing the loophole where the mayor gets to fine someone anyway for a crime they weren’t tried for

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

1glitch0 posted:

The fact that neither of you get what made it amazing smart sci-fi goes a long way towards explaining your posting.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skex posted:

Barr was the one who convinced and helped HW Bush to Pardon all of the criminals involved before leaving office effectively killing the investigation and any possibility of accountability for the crimes they committed.

That's the guy that you are hanging your "it's all a delusion" argument on.

Barr directly quoted Mueller in his statement: "the evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference." Mueller's words, not Barr's. You'd think if Barr were misrepresenting Mueller, Mueller might have something to say about that. That's the guy you've hanged your conspiracy theory on, whom you exalted into some sort of folk hero, for whom you held "hands off Mueller" demos, getting all hard about his military career and how he was going to take Trump to the woodshed. Just accept that you played yourself and move on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

SO it could theoretically take effect, then more states join the Union, raising the needed number?

They thought of that too, it is suspended if the participating states drop below a majority of the EC for any reason

quote:

This article shall govern the appointment of presidential electors in each member state in any year in which this agreement is, on July 20, in effect in states cumulatively possessing a majority of the electoral votes.

It leaves a window between July and December where something weird could happen that would mess up the operation in a single election if a state unexpectedly joined. A different clause says withdrawals after July 20th in a presidential year only take effect beginning with the following election so surprise drop-outs can't happen.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 28, 2019

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CascadeBeta posted:

If you've got an inside scoop on the Mueller report, please share with the class.

It's always worth a chuckle when the people who were dead certain that Mueller report would conclude that Trump colluded with Russia, who were raving for two years that it would contain Trump's certain doom, are now saying, "Oh yeah, well have you read the report?"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Barr directly quoted Mueller in his statement: "the evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference." Mueller's words, not Barr's. You'd think if Barr were misrepresenting Mueller, Mueller might have something to say about that. That's the guy you've hanged your conspiracy theory on, whom you exalted into some sort of folk hero, for whom you held "hands off Mueller" demos, getting all hard about his military career and how he was going to take Trump to the woodshed. Just accept that you played yourself and move on.

You are not a clever man

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You'd think if Barr were misrepresenting Mueller, Mueller might have something to say about that.

Ah, I will agree there, but I think we should table that particular point until and unless Mueller testifies to Congress (assuming it happens very soon). I rather doubt he would have just held a press conference this week to discuss his view of the Barr memo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

there are leftists in here ...?

Most of the thread but since there's no real conservatives here everyone just calls each other ~liberals~ snidely.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

What’s really galling is that he’s blaming everything on Jussie. Even if he actually did it he bears no responsibility for the case getting dropped, that’s all on the cops and prosecutors. And yet Jussie is the one to foot the bill for other peoples’ mistakes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Libs clinging to the hope that Robert "just don't keep any records of our torturing and war criming and then we don't have to worry about the law" Mueller is being misrepresented and is going to cry "perfidy!" at Barr and ride out on a white horse and arrest Trump is so, so sad.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Jaxyon posted:

Most of the thread but since there's no real conservatives here everyone just calls each other ~liberals~ snidely.

People have pretty consistently confused difference in strategy with difference in belief

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

LOL did you read this threat at all, ever.

This is hilarious.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Regarding Ben Shapiro, what's the timeline on him leaving Breitbart and Steve Bannon proudly proclaiming Breitbart the voice of Alt-Right?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, it's sad and exhausting

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

No Barr says that he directly quoted Mueller in his statement, a quote that was taken out of of context (a thing we know because at least one of the quotes starts from the middle of a sentence. I also note that you are ignoring the part where it says that it did not exonerate the President either. It's entirely possible that Mueller wasn't willing to state a conclusion because he expected the report to go to Congress for consideration and evaluation.

Also I barely trust Mueller either, I have a little bit of hope that he's not completely corrupt based on how he ran the investigation which had way too many convictions and pleas to be a cover-up.

Finally we're talking about William I covered up Iran/Contra Barr I'm not taking his loving word on anything and anyone who does is a Fash or a Fash sympathizer.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Happitoo posted:

There was a state senator on CNN today talking about how he was proposing a law that any production in Illinois that hired Jussie would be ineligible for tax breaks. Of course he kept calling him Justin because god forbid he actually learn the name of the person he’s trying to black ball. But how is that basically another Kaepernick style lawsuit waiting to happen, but this time government sanctioned?

Lmao are they even trying to justify this? What the gently caress could be any rational reason for this? It's insane that they're really okay just nakedly and openly attacking him, and even more insane that people think "yes, seeing these government officials acting like a gang of bullies pissed off because the teacher didn't side with them one time makes me think Jussie Smollett must be guilty".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So Rahm's gonna try to bill Smollett for the entire investigation :lol:

How is this legal? He wasn't even convicted of a crime. Guilty until "proven" innocent by the court of public opinion?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Casey Finnigan posted:

Lmao are they even trying to justify this? What the gently caress could be any rational reason for this? It's insane that they're really okay just nakedly and openly attacking him, and even more insane that people think "yes, seeing these government officials acting like a gang of bullies pissed off because the teacher didn't side with them one time makes me think Jussie Smollett must be guilty".

I mean

The current president of the united states ran full page ads against innocent black men

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

1glitch0 posted:

Like... by a rocket?

He’s actually saying that he’s willing to drop the NASA SLS rocket if he has to. It’s both a shot across Boeing who has been very late and over budget with the project, and a hope that inside of 5 years, a commercial option will materialize with no additional funding. Currently only Elon Musk is saying he can do it with his Starship that can land on every planet in the solar system and return to Earth. Musk promises it can land people on the Moon in 5 years as well. The chances of this are basically 0. NASA finished a study for the administration to see if they can speed up the Orion test by flying it commercially and the answer was no. Broadly the administration wants to kill the public side projects and move them to privately owned (but publicly funded) options. This may be feasible at some point, but not inside 5 years.

Congress still is the seat of support for the public rocket and NASA though, so it’s really up to them as always- and they’ve shown a tendency to just ignore the presidents space budget proposals entirely for the last few years, so we will see what happens. It maintains jobs and investment across many states which is why it’s been so broadly supported, despite the Twitter community deciding that it, like most of NASA, is apparently an “evil jobs program.” Only a free market can save us etc

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Skex posted:

No Barr says that he directly quoted Mueller in his statement, a quote that was taken out of of context (a thing we know because at least one of the quotes starts from the middle of a sentence. I also note that you are ignoring the part where it says that it did not exonerate the President either. It's entirely possible that Mueller wasn't willing to state a conclusion because he expected the report to go to Congress for consideration and evaluation.

Also I barely trust Mueller either, I have a little bit of hope that he's not completely corrupt based on how he ran the investigation which had way too many convictions and pleas to be a cover-up.

Finally we're talking about William I covered up Iran/Contra Barr I'm not taking his loving word on anything and anyone who does is a Fash or a Fash sympathizer.

Beyond any and all of that, there's the fact that no matter what the reality of anyone's culpability, the entire shitshow was clearly complex enough to require a 300+ page technical report that took years to write, summarizing millions of pages of evidence.

Thinking that a four-sentence-quote summary is enough, should be a red flag in and of itself.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

"I completely trust the guy Trump personally appointed because he explicitly said that the Mueller investigation was fundamentally illegitimate"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

They thought of that too, it is suspended if the participating states drop below a majority of the EC for any reason

It leaves a window between July and December where something weird could happen that would mess up the operation in a single election if a state unexpectedly joined. A different clause says withdrawals after July 20th in a presidential year only take effect beginning with the following election so surprise drop-outs can't happen.

ok, cool, thanks for the informative post (non ironic thanks)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

No further indictments coming? What the gently caress? Trump and everyone around him are criminals. This country is loving broken. All this wait and nothing.

this was the gentleman's first post in this thread, incidentally

not sure, CF, if you're doing a bit or if your brain just broke

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Leftists doing victory laps because a conservative prosecutor decided to let white collar criminals off the hook is, uh, phew. That's several levels beyond galaxy brain.

Like, yes, the people who were buying Mueller candles and claiming Trump was a handled asset from the 80s, and they're dumb as hell. But it's just as dumb to be like "Hey you guys the intelligence agency ghoul and the right-wing lawyer both said no crimes, so wrap it up Russiamailures". In anything resembling an ethical understanding of the term, the Trump campaign "colluded" with Russia. That's indisputable, and all the evidence for it has been public for months. It also happens that what he did was legal, because Rich People Doing Awful Things don't face accountability. The wild thing is seeing folks on the left celebrating the fact that our laws are woefully inadequate at prosecuting white collar crime as some kind of victory.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1111366139765051392

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Well, that's free PR for him for absolutely no reason whatsoever

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

Dawkins or Shapiro?

The answer may surprise you!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Itll still be cut anyway.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Uncle Wemus posted:

No? It's part of his proposed budget, nobody cares what he says

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

theflyingorc posted:

No? It's part of his proposed budget, nobody cares what he says

Yeah I don't think they're gonna call it back and fix that line. He's just freestyling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Uncle Wemus posted:

It actually wont. The house made it clear that cutting the Special Olympics was DOA in their chamber.