Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how about this gender lock stuff lmao

it's bad OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I assume a new female version of a race is more resource intensive because of all the gender locked equipment.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kwyndig posted:

I assume a new female version of a race is more resource intensive because of all the gender locked equipment.

Also the non-gender locked equipment.

Also all of it because of any race being able to be any class and glamour keeping dinky leveling gear relevant.

That's a lot of things to check to make sure the polygons and textures that cover them work together ok.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 29, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also the whole idea of "a couple extra staff" is a reductive & probably ineffective answer to a complex & difficult problem. I mean, Ubisoft commits a ridiculous level of resources towards every Assassin's Creed game now, and even they with all their different perspectives and studios and giant piles of money were unable to avoid erasing gay folks from Odyssey's DLC. To be clear, that doesn't absolve or justify either miss - they're both really bad - but the problem is more systemic than a few extra artists should be expected to solve.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 29, 2019

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Gruckles posted:

It will be Hildy, but he will become what he must. Become the Gentleman of Darkness.

Imo if he's gonna be nega-hildy, the opposite of a gentleman would be a rudeboy, right?

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Eimi posted:

SE really needs to give Yoshi more resources, but he's liked because XIV gets to just be the bloodbag for the rest of the company.

didn’t they give him a 12 million budget to do HW and then tripled it for stormblood?

and then i wonder how much they spent on ffxv and kh3.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Would they ever have even known each other? They were from two separate organizations that merged after 1.0.

Minfilia mentions Krile by name out of concern when she hears that the Isle of Val has disappeared in the 2.X content. She gradually begins to use her resources to search for Krile and any survivors, but we don't see any outcome with this until Krile actually appears in Heavensward.

I believe it's explained in the first lorebook how they know each other. In 1.0, you had two groups: The Path of the Twelve, and the Circle of Knowing.

The Path of the Twelve was Minfilia's group of Echo-based people who banded together to help each other, since the Echo is highly misunderstood by the general public. Most common folk would believe people using the Echo to essentially be practicing witchcraft or some such forbidden art, and Minfilia wanted to do what she could to understand the gift.

The Circle of Knowing was Louisoix's group of Archons, Sharlayans chosen to go to Eorzea to warn of the upcoming Calamity and prepare the nation for trouble. Sharlayan, for those that don't know, is a country full of scholars who love to amass knowledge. For all of their intelligence and learned ability, they prefer to hoard their information rather than use it to help the world. They're more content to watch things unfold than to act to change. Louisoix wasn't a fan of this method and gathered like-minded individuals to act before things turned to poo poo. The Astrologian quests go into this quite a bit, but you essentially get two factions of Sharlayan: those who act and those who watch, and they're constantly arguing with each other.

Anyway, back to Minfilia. In her search for information on the Echo, she would eventually come in contact with Louisoix. She was hungry for anything he could offer on the Echo, and thankfully, he knew of Krile and the Students of Baldesion. Minfilia would meet Krile through Louisoix and they would research more on the Echo together. When the Calamity happened and the Circle of Knowing no longer had Louisoix's guidance, Minfilia stepped up and the two groups would combine to create the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

Yoshi did say that Viera were a last second addition at all. The original plan was just the ronsos, male and female, until they scrapped the lady ronsos and made lady viera just because the fans love them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

isk posted:

Also the whole idea of "a couple extra staff" is a reductive & probably ineffective answer to a complex & difficult problem. I mean, Ubisoft commits a ridiculous level of resources towards every Assassin's Creed game now, and even they with all their different perspectives and studios and giant piles of money were unable to avoid erasing gay folks from Odyssey's DLC. To be clear, that doesn't absolve or justify either miss - they're both really bad - but the problem is more systemic than a few extra artists should be expected to solve.

Iirc didn't they outsource the DLC to another studio? Not that that makes it better because even a casual editor should've been able to see the loving problem, but I thought it wasn't developed in house.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Eimi posted:

Iirc didn't they outsource the DLC to another studio? Not that that makes it better because even a casual editor should've been able to see the loving problem, but I thought it wasn't developed in house.

Would be news to me (totally possible!). My understanding is that Ubisoft Singapore developed the DLC, while the core game was developed by several in-house studios (with Quebec as the lead).

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Hello all,

I have a level 45 character from 2014 on the Excalibur server. Here is how my account details looks currently.

I used to play on PC and I'd like to now play on PS4.

If I purchase the "FINAL FANTASY® XIV Online Complete Collector's Edition" seen here: https://store.playstation.com/en-au/product/EP0082-CUSA00285_00-COMPLETECE201700.

Is that all I have to do? I think I still need to link my playstation account to Mogstation or something and setup a subscription? This is so confusing.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Leofish posted:

I seem to recall reading that they had intended to not do Hildibrand in HW and do Scholasticate instead, but the fans demanded more Hildy, so that's why the HW quests aren't quite as good and don't include a trial.

If that's true, that makes so much sense. All I could think of throughout HW Hildy was what a cheap Vivi knock-off it was. The worst part was the ending, when they tried to make it """"sad"""" with Gigi's being powered down.

That didn't work at all when the whole reason the bad guys even got Gigi were our heroes willfully being complete dumbasses in the highest order that let him get caught. A funny gag in the moment to see them run away slowly, yes, but absolutely killed any emotion from the climax/ending because of how stupidly preventable it all was.

It was so bad I neglected to start the SB Hildy all this time, but from what I'm hearing it's better, so I'm gonna try it out now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's it, yeah. IIRC you probably won't even need to do anything on mogstation, when you buy it on PS4 it'll recognize that its a new license and attach it to whatever the first square enix account you log into is.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rastan Beeza posted:

If that's true, that makes so much sense. All I could think of throughout HW Hildy was what a cheap Vivi knock-off it was. The worst part was the ending, when they tried to make it """"sad"""" with Gigi's being powered down.

That didn't work at all when the whole reason the bad guys even got Gigi were our heroes willfully being complete dumbasses in the highest order that let him get caught. A funny gag in the moment to see them run away slowly, yes, but absolutely killed any emotion from the climax/ending because of how stupidly preventable it all was.

It was so bad I neglected to start the SB Hildy all this time, but from what I'm hearing it's better, so I'm gonna try it out now.

SB Hildy is a return to form. It's goofy and fun and the new trial is also very good.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Marathanes posted:

Also when did he become a DRK? Is that just since Ghimlyt, or did I miss it earlier.

He became a Drk because his dad was like 'You know, you're old enough to lead now. Here have a sword sized for a highlander male to wield in one hand that is my specifically CURSED sword. Go kill poo poo.' and apparently the cursed sword combined with being a two hander for a Lala made him into a dark knight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pipin realized he has to DPS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anyone who becomes edgy enough instantly becomes a dark knight. It turns out that the WoL becomes one because Tataru made her new gear that is 90% buckles and edge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

as i sit here waiting for the game to download, i realize i've long lost all of my settings/hotbars, and along with them, any memory of how to play an action bar MMO

i'm sure i'll remember within minutes, but part of me is thinking "I wonder if now is the time to learn to play with controller"

hmm

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

as i sit here waiting for the game to download, i realize i've long lost all of my settings and any memory of how to play an action bar MMO

i'm sure i'll remember within minutes, but part of me is thinking "I wonder if now is the time to learn to play with controller"

hmm
The answer is Yes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it would sure solve my biggest problem right now, which is I don't have that numpad mouse anymore so I have no fuckin' clue how i'd jimmy it all onto 1-6 or so with modifiers on the keyboard

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ciaphas posted:

as i sit here waiting for the game to download, i realize i've long lost all of my settings/hotbars, and along with them, any memory of how to play an action bar MMO

hmm

You can't go wrong either way, really.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

it would sure solve my biggest problem right now, which is I don't have that numpad mouse anymore so I have no fuckin' clue how i'd jimmy it all onto 1-6 or so with modifiers on the keyboard

Rebind Spacebar, Q, E, R, F, T, G, C, V, X, Z, B, get a mouse with two side buttons (I use one for an additional key and one for jumping), and use SHIFT and CTRL modifiers. That gives you enough buttons for every class (including Paladin). The only awkward stretch I ever have to do is CTRL + V, and I generally only have that bound to an infrequently used action like a stance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally feel like people who don't use controllers must hate fun.

Vermain posted:

Rebind Spacebar, Q, E, R, F, T, G, C, V, X, Z, B, get a mouse with two side buttons (I use one for an additional key and one for jumping), and use SHIFT and CTRL modifiers. That gives you enough buttons for every class (including Paladin). The only awkward stretch I ever have to do is CTRL + V, and I generally only have that bound to an infrequently used action like a stance.

Won't catch me mistakenly pasting some embarassing poo poo trying to cast sheltron, I see your tricks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Alternatively embrace the point and click adventure of gaming and the 2.5 second gcd, stick with 1-5, shift 1-5 and click everything else :v:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alternatively embrace the point and click adventure of gaming and the 2.5 second gcd, stick with 1-5, shift 1-5 and click everything else :v:

How to Paladin: The Guide.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kwyndig posted:

SB Hildy is a return to form. It's goofy and fun and the new trial is also very good.

I'm sad now, because I know in my heart that The Manderville Mambo will never be surpassed as an emote.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

EponymousMrYar posted:

I don't even bother with shift 1-5. 1-5, Q, E, R, T & ~ are all used, everything else is clicked.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

That's it, yeah. IIRC you probably won't even need to do anything on mogstation, when you buy it on PS4 it'll recognize that its a new license and attach it to whatever the first square enix account you log into is.

Thank you for the info Homeless snail.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

isk posted:

You know, every time someone even suggests that any game dev could hire some new staff to do more things, this poo poo gets trotted out. It's not really very convincing anymore, especially when we're talking about more of the same poo poo they already do. If it breaks the process to add a sidequest chain then, uh, that sounds like a real problem. As it is, it sounds like they need more staff just to do what they were killing themselves to do before.

Leofish posted:

I seem to recall reading that they had intended to not do Hildibrand in HW and do Scholasticate instead, but the fans demanded more Hildy, so that's why the HW quests aren't quite as good and don't include a trial.

This is correct, and the HW hildy quests are pretty bad for it.

My issue with SB hildy is it's a return to form, and it's just more of the same. Slapstick comedy by itself gets pretty tiresome if it's just the same joke over and over again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think they have mentioned a lack of experienced MMO developers in Japan before? Not an insurmountable problem.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My issue with SB hildy is it's a return to form, and it's just more of the same. Slapstick comedy by itself gets pretty tiresome if it's just the same joke over and over again.
I'm gonna have to give a big 'speak for yourself' to that one, chief.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Vermain posted:

How do you strafe with your mouse?

This seems like an interesting setup, just trying to get my head around it because the furthest number key I can reach without clicking is 6 so this might help with all my super cool abilities

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'm gonna have to give a big 'speak for yourself' to that one, chief.

Anyone who does the new trial and doesn't crack a smile or find it some form of good needs to get their heart checked because they might be dead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

To be fair, that's also a return to form, cause the Ultros fight was just as good (pre nerf)

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

homeless snail posted:

To be fair, that's also a return to form, cause the Ultros fight was just as good (pre nerf)

I don't know. I don't find Ultros fight that funny, especially compared to this new one.

Sound design is another thing too, this new one probably fit the theme the most that I've encountered.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Angelwolf posted:

How do you strafe with your mouse?

Most people don't have turn bound and use 'A' & 'D' to strafe.

I find not being able to turn and click mans at the same time super annoying when healing or tanking so I keep turn bound on 'Q' & 'E'. It's pretty superfluous when you're dps and can always mouselook.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FortMan posted:

I don't know. I don't find Ultros fight that funny, especially compared to this new one.

Sound design is another thing too, this new one probably fit the theme the most that I've encountered.
This one is definitely funnier, but tanking Ultros during the wet plate phase was an incredibly funny set of mechanics (again, pre nerf, when you actually had to worry about getting blown off and wet plate was something you cared about)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I keep saying I wanna try this at some point. I can play up to level 35 for free on ps4?

I also have a starter edition thing from twitch prime, is there any way to get it onto a console if I decide to play there

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I keep saying I wanna try this at some point. I can play up to level 35 for free on ps4?

I also have a starter edition thing from twitch prime, is there any way to get it onto a console if I decide to play there

Activating the PC version on your account would give you 30 free days of subscription time, but would make your account no longer eligible for the infinite time level 35 trial, and you would still need to buy a license of the PS4 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

drat download didn't finish overnight, gotta try again. stupid patcher :mad:

I think the only thing mentally stopping me from trying controller is the menus, I DO remember that poo poo being pretty arduous without keyboard and mouse