Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It’s a great time to hop back in, there’s a bunch of stuff to do.

Class balance is mostly fine. MCH is in a rough spot, but everything is viable and most things feel good to play. The Omega raids wrapped up and finished strong, the same with the Ivalice 24 mans. The best beast tribe was added, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ciaphas posted:

So how much new stuff have I missed since the first major content patch, when Shinryu EX was added? I've got the itch to MMO again (and drat me for my sins :arghfist::( ), and I've been gone since 4.1 or whatever that was.

Is it even a good time to come back or is that new expansion coming up putting the Pre Release Blues on the place

(ed) while I'm at it what's the class/role balance nowadays, I haven't even kept up. I gather BLU got added but as kind of a gimmick thing and maybe there was something else?

You've got four whole patches of MSQ which involves ateast two dungeons and one trial, two different side stories (four lords, 4.x hildibrand, four lords has at least three fights and two dungeons, one of which you might have done?), the entirety of both the Return to Ivalice (24-man plot) and Omega (8-man plot) stuff, and even eureka if you feel so inclined (it's divisive, to say the least). The final patch just hit and there's still gonna be plenty of people catching up in anticipation for ShB, pre-expac blues won't be for another month or two, most likely.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gently caress, I forgot Ivalice was even a thing. Sounds like I've got a lot of story to pursue, if nothing else

Did they ever expand on the Deep Dungeon take? I never got past like floor 50 in there but I remember thinking I wanted to one day

yeah, i've got the itch, guess i'm coming back when i get home tonight, oh, no :unsmith:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Phone posted:

It’s a great time to hop back in, there’s a bunch of stuff to do.

Class balance is mostly fine. MCH is in a rough spot, but everything is viable and most things feel good to play. The Omega raids wrapped up and finished strong, the same with the Ivalice 24 mans. The best beast tribe was added, too.

MCH is fine, the playstyle's just not for everyone.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ibblebibble posted:

MCH is fine, the playstyle's just not for everyone.

Has it changed away from "maximize the poo poo out of overheating and cycle everything else around that"? I remember liking it in theory but the implementation at the time had some serious problems

Any of the other class styles changed significantly? I was an all rounder back then

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

gently caress, I forgot Ivalice was even a thing. Sounds like I've got a lot of story to pursue, if nothing else

Did they ever expand on the Deep Dungeon take? I never got past like floor 50 in there but I remember thinking I wanted to one day

yeah, i've got the itch, guess i'm coming back when i get home tonight, oh, no :unsmith:

they added a stormblood version of potd called Heaven-on-High

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Real talk, every class is still fine and playable. Some are in worse shape than others but even the way this thread treats certain classes (whm) is way overblown.

In terms of raw Raid MetaTM hasn't really budged much but everything is still plenty playable.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Has it changed away from "maximize the poo poo out of overheating and cycle everything else around that"? I remember liking it in theory but the implementation at the time had some serious problems

Any of the other class styles changed significantly? I was an all rounder back then

Warrior became a simpler version of the above, instead of dealing with some pretty annoying gauge mangement.

Every class is pretty much focused on the Trick/buff window boost tho

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
No point in playing Mch now since they're removing it in 5.0

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Saint Freak posted:

They're putting a sword on the end of every gun, to satisfy the Rule of Two for physical ranged dps.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Gunbreakers work by smashing MCH weapons.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/UOhm4E3.mp4

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Monathin posted:

he became a DRK because he's wielding a sword that a highlander was meant to use one-handedly :v:

Yeah. Raubahn gifts him Tizona, his highly acclaimed one-of-a-kind sword he earned from fighting in the coliseum. Pipin's just dualhanding it to compensate for its weight versus his.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

The person they got for end-of-HW Papalymo sounded dull and depressed as gently caress. ARR Papalymo was basically a Disney character in terms of voice line delivery.

People like to say that Cid's VA change is one of the best, and while it is, I am so happy they changed Papalymo. His first voice is so goddamn annoying and over the top. The way he's portrayed in Heavensward is so much better.

Vermain posted:

There's been some super solid VA work from the new studio. Matoya, Fordola, Lyse, Urianger, Alisaie, Gosetsu, and Zenos all have standout performances. Some of them have been sidegrades, depending on preferences: I like Gideon Emery's work, but Urianger's new VA matches the character well, and the same thing with Alphinaud's change in VA. Might just be that they've grown on me over the years, too.

I agree with this. I love the original voices for Urianger and Alphinaud, but as much as I like Sam Riegel, Alphinaud's new voice actor fits the character far better. Sam Riegel pulled off the "pompous" attitude well, but also sounded quite a bit older and didn't have any of Alphinaud's innocence. The new actor hits all of the right notes.

Ciaphas posted:

So how much new stuff have I missed since the first major content patch, when Shinryu EX was added? I've got the itch to MMO again (and drat me for my sins :arghfist::( ), and I've been gone since 4.1 or whatever that was.

Is it even a good time to come back or is that new expansion coming up putting the Pre Release Blues on the place

(ed) while I'm at it what's the class/role balance like nowadays, I haven't even kept up. I gather BLU got added but as kind of a gimmick thing and maybe there was something else?

Now is a fantastic time to return. You have all of Omega, you have the Return to Ivalice raids, and you have tons of great story content to go through. Since we have 3 months or so until the expansion, you can feel free to pace yourself as well.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

man if you think about it krile and minfilia haven't seen each other for the entirety of ARR - either krile was knocked out through 2.x, or minfilia was locked away somewhere after she woke up.

hope their reunion is a good one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Would they ever have even known each other? They were from two separate organizations that merged after 1.0.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It was a relief to find out that the other ARR beast tribes (aside from Ixal) don't have 7 reputation ranks. For some insane reason I'm trying to max all the beast tribe reps, and I currently just have the Sylph and Amal'jaa left. I initially started them because I wanted the Best Mount that you get from the Kobolds (the Namazu one is second best) and then just figured I might as well also do the rest.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I kinda wish they had let hildebrand die and done something else again, tbh. 2.0 Hildy was fantastic, but each one seems just not as good as the last. There's good moments in all of them, but for basically all of the leadup to the trial in SB's one I only even cracked a smile like once. No matter how good the trial is, that's a lot of quest content that wasn't great.

OTOH, I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of the scholasticate stuff. I feel like having to do hildy restricts their ability to do really cool and unique side content.

I'd be very okay with them just doing both, though. FFXIV is wildly successful, no reason they can't afford a couple extra staff for it.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

It was a relief to find out that the other ARR beast tribes (aside from Ixal) don't have 7 reputation ranks. For some insane reason I'm trying to max all the beast tribe reps, and I currently just have the Sylph and Amal'jaa left. I initially started them because I wanted the Best Mount that you get from the Kobolds (the Namazu one is second best) and then just figured I might as well also do the rest.

Maxing beast tribe reps also gives you access to the Allied Beast Tribe quests, AKA the best quests in the game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Shadowbringers should have Caligula Catte, fat Miq'ote detective who never leaves his house and his assistant, a hard boiled PI, as Hildy's rival for the patches. Or just an independent detective-ing chain.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Would they ever have even known each other? They were from two separate organizations that merged after 1.0.

minfilia talks about her friend krile being retrieved unconscious after the island disappears during 2.x, so yeah they've passed by each other in the hallway a few times.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

unseenlibrarian posted:

Shadowbringers should have Caligula Catte, fat Miq'ote detective who never leaves his house and his assistant, a hard boiled PI, as Hildy's rival for the patches. Or just an independent detective-ing chain.

You and I both know ShB will have Evil Hildy With A Mustache and Evil Nashu who is somehow in all respects exactly like Regular Nashu except with a different accent.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Well yes but let me dream of a Nero Wolfe pastiche.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Thundarr posted:

You and I both know ShB will have Evil Hildy With A Mustache and Evil Nashu who is somehow in all respects exactly like Regular Nashu except with a different accent.

It will be Hildy, but he will become what he must. Become the Gentleman of Darkness.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Nashu but dressed like that one moon miqo'te in all the halloween events who wears the purple outfit.

E: The one with the unique idle animation. You know the one.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
If they do a whole Amok Time story with Hildebrand I will be very happy indeed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Miqo'te is a good choices given Archie's fondness for milk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'd be very okay with them just doing both, though. FFXIV is wildly successful, no reason they can't afford a couple extra staff for it.

The FFXIV team consists of Yoship and two people using Minority Report-esque gloves to untangle the spaghetti code from 1.0 while Yoship is blowing money on printouts of male viera and healer dancers to draw devil horns and hitler mustaches on.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I kinda wish they had let hildebrand die and done something else again, tbh. 2.0 Hildy was fantastic, but each one seems just not as good as the last. There's good moments in all of them, but for basically all of the leadup to the trial in SB's one I only even cracked a smile like once. No matter how good the trial is, that's a lot of quest content that wasn't great.

nah

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Every time you run a levelling dungeon (in HW+), you are automatically awarded a class appropriate item after completion (excluding the weapon). This is in addition to any regular drops you get.

Since max level dungeons are among the best sources of experience after Levelling roulette and Alliance roulette, it's not a bad idea to hit the Aery a few times once you're there. You'd probably get half-way kitted out. Same for the Vault.

Thundarr posted:

Granted by the time you've run it 10 times you should already be on the next dungeon (or even two dungeons later) but it's a nice bone and sometimes means you can leave your first clear of a leveling dungeon with most of your left side gear upgraded.

Just want to say that your avatars being in sequence entertained me.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Nashu but dressed like that one moon miqo'te in all the halloween events who wears the purple outfit.

E: The one with the unique idle animation. You know the one.

You can just say Wiggle Cat.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

OTOH, I really enjoyed the mystery aspect of the scholasticate stuff. I feel like having to do hildy restricts their ability to do really cool and unique side content.

I seem to recall reading that they had intended to not do Hildibrand in HW and do Scholasticate instead, but the fans demanded more Hildy, so that's why the HW quests aren't quite as good and don't include a trial.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Still that way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

The biggest loss from replacing all the VAs is definitely Merlwyb.

I didn't like old Merlwyb for the same reason I don't like FFXII Fran. Speak through your mouth, not through your nose! :argh:

That wheezy style of speech just annoys my ears.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Rikiya Koriyama is consistently good but for whatever reason he's barely audible in Prae.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
how about this gender lock stuff lmao

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I think their reasoning was sound, but I still don't like it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SE really needs to give Yoshi more resources, but he's liked because XIV gets to just be the bloodbag for the rest of the company.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I know it annoyed some people and her new VA is fine, but i miss Y'Shtola's over the top dramatic style. I don't think it would fit with the current cast but she was my favorite of the old scions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

FFXIV is wildly successful, no reason they can't afford a couple extra staff for it.

apparently there is a reason because otherwise this post wouldn't exist:

A 50S RAYGUN posted: