Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

The video itself is somewhat underwhelming in how it's shot, but Jesus loving Christ, this Texas Mile run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F94O-Qk8O7U

300mph. In a standing mile. In a road legal car. :asoiaf:

Dang, what you can hear of that thing sounds fantastic.
Oddly enough, I used to live in Victoria, '80-'84. Humidity is even worse than Houston, if you can imagine.
At least I know how to get back if I want to attend one of the races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
RE: measuring lol horsepower. I was in college trying to start up an FSAE program (long story short, school didn't want to cough up the dough despite incredible profitability potential) and needed a way to measure horsepower on a shoestring budget. The cheapest Dyno we could negotiate was still north of $8k so that was out. We ended up coming up with two solutions. The first was replacing the engine mounts with load cells to measure the torque directly. With engine rpm you could get real brake horsepower. The second was using the ionization of the spark plugs during combustion with a secondary ignition circuit (lower voltage, extremely high frequency) to calculate the actual ignition temperature to plug into a thermodynamic model to measure the power. Both of these are scalable to godly power levels, just need to implement it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Both of those methods sound like a huge pain in the rear end.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In a purpose built race car you probably tear down every other use? Not really. The engineering on the plug ionization current is a little more engineering related but all of the theory is well established. It works on the principle that a flame is conductive. It's conductivity is proportional to it's temperature. If you can send electricity of a known voltage and measure the current, you can determine it's temperature. You then use the temperature as an input for T3 in the Otto cycle. You can directly measure the other 3 temperatures with more direct methods. T1 uses the IAT sensor. You can calculate T2 with adiabatic heating minus the heat removed through the vaporization of fuel. T4 is a measurement of exhaust temperature at the port. You could insert a probe to measure current to get T3, or you can use something that's already there. The spark plugs actually makes things much easier.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 27, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
BMW has used that ionization stuff to measure the speed of the flame front or something for knock detection in the past, I wonder if there is raw access to that data

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You'd want to talk to Delphi. They developed it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Right or wrong thread?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/25/smyth-performance-vw-beetle-truck-conversion/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
AEM made a driveshaft dyno you could buy for awhile

https://www.aemelectronics.com/files/pr/102811_Dyno-Shaft/Dyno-Shaft_PR.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrong thread for sure

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Ion sensing gets you cylinder pressure though, which is more useful anyway. It's on my todo list for my dyno.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

I'm not finding a whole lot, but is there some reason why this didn't catch on?

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Seems more Ute than Pickup IMO

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

God help me, I don't hate it.

And there is historical provenance, apparently:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/1946-vw-beetle-factory-pickup-with-fifth-wheel-car-hauling-trailer-discovered/

Someone posted a nicely done New Beetle ute a while back. The Smythe one looks on par.

edit: found it, I think. The Smythe one is better, but I like this one, aside from the fake patina, somewhat unfortunate wheels and ugly tail lights (all things that are relatively easy to change.)
https://www.carscoops.com/2014/12/is-this-one-of-coolest-vw-new-beetles/#lg=1&slide=14

I particularly like the embossed debossed tailgate, and old-school bumpers. Rooftop rack and caravan cover are also boss.

edit edit: nifty tailgate, and the quarter window treatment is useful.

triple edit:
Are those reverse lights built into the bed rails?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 27, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mekilljoydammit posted:

Ion sensing gets you cylinder pressure though, which is more useful anyway. It's on my todo list for my dyno.

You can calculate pressure once you have temperature since you know the compression ratio. But the actual mechanics is directly as a result of temperature.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

um excuse me posted:

You can calculate pressure once you have temperature since you know the compression ratio. But the actual mechanics is directly as a result of temperature.

Your cam is going to have an effect on what the actual cylinder pressure you're seeing is, possibly enough to throw off your numbers.

Darchangel posted:

God help me, I don't hate it.

edit edit: nifty tailgate, and the quarter window treatment is useful.

I kinda like the rusted look, since the rest of the vehicle looks clean. I don't like the artificially-rusted stuff when the rest of the vehicle looks like garbage, I guess it's kind of a going-for-a-specific-look thing versus a I-don't-have-the-ability-to-do-this-well-so-I'm-going-to-make-it-lovely-on-purpose thing in my eyes.

I agree with you on the wheels, and also don't like the bright shiny filler cap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Time for a masterclass driving video https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/products/porsche-911-gt2-rs-production-car-lap-record-michelin-raceway-road-atlanta-17314.html

173mph down the Road Atlanta back straight in a stock production car. Nah. gently caress that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

boxen posted:

Your cam is going to have an effect on what the actual cylinder pressure you're seeing is, possibly enough to throw off your numbers.

Well compression ratio is an over simplification of figuring out cylinder pressure. You do have table in the ECU that reference the volumetric efficiency which take into account cam angles, rpm, intake temps, and head loss. You take that and multiply it by the cylinder volume, then you calculate ignition pressure from there using the compression ratio.

When I was doing FSAE development we had an electrical engineer who specialized in integrated circuitry designing an ECU that measured all of the intake variables instead using the look up tables found in most ECUs. The proposed DAQ was very advanced for the time. Half of the tech we developed wasn't in cars yet but can be found in a lot of cars today.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 27, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlackMK4 posted:

Time for a masterclass driving video https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/products/porsche-911-gt2-rs-production-car-lap-record-michelin-raceway-road-atlanta-17314.html

173mph down the Road Atlanta back straight in a stock production car. Nah. gently caress that.

Pobst’s balls clank when he walks.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Pobsts balls clank when he walks.

I enjoy that it doesn't even get to 7th gear :stonk:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nuevo posted:

I enjoy that it doesn't even get to 7th gear :stonk:

Isn't that a car that doesn't actually reach top speed in 7th, though? I think it's just a super tall overdrive for cruise purposes, too tall to reach top speed with the amount of drag it has.

It's not like that's a recent concept, LT1 fourthgens were the same way. 300hp can't pull a 0.5:1 OD in sixth.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Right or wrong thread?

I don't get it, why did you post a bone stock Chevy SSR getting some paint work done?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't that a car that doesn't actually reach top speed in 7th, though? I think it's just a super tall overdrive for cruise purposes, too tall to reach top speed with the amount of drag it has.

I read a short review of the new Porsche 911. 8 gear transmission, one more than the previous model. Top speed reached on 6th gear.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The higher gears are usually just to get the revs down for highway cruising.

The corvette's 7 speed has 3 overdrives. 0.74, 0.50, and 0.42. If you're driving it spiritedly, you'll likely only ever use the first 4 gears. That lets it get 25mpg highway through.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I wish my RS had a seventh gear. It sits at 3 grand on the highway and it gets real annoying.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I think the only "normal" cars I have where you really can rev out in top are Panda 4x4s with 5.4 diff ratios. Most stuff with 5+ gears has overdrive top gear(s). You need some serious power to run out of gears in most cases, they're deliberately over geared for economy/refinement.

Though in fairness more gears also lets you do that while af the same time tightening up ratio steps

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

I wish my RS had a seventh gear. It sits at 3 grand on the highway and it gets real annoying.

Cut away some fender and stick taller tires on. like 33x10.5s The taller tires have the same effect as lower gearing.

The taller tires on my pickup take me down to 1100RPM at 70kph/45mph.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sure, I'll just take a sawzall to the sheet metal. I'm sure that will be great for resale.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
3k at highway speeds sounds OK to me? Just how it is with small revvy petrol engines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

Sure, I'll just take a sawzall to the sheet metal. I'm sure that will be great for resale.

Sure would.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i would buy that in a heartbeat :swoon:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Sure would.

There's really well done even though it breaks my heart a little.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That is very much a render. A gorgeous render, but a render none the less.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

davebo posted:

I don't get it, why did you post a bone stock Chevy SSR getting some paint work done?

That kit is far better proportioned than an SSR.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Sure would.

:awesome:

Elmnt80 posted:

:mad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Elmnt80 posted:

Not pretty enough. WHITE LETTERS

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'd like you to know that while there aren't a ton of people piling up RSs yet I've seen a couple salvage title STs around for $4-6k, and a good used cordless sawzall runs about $60

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Not pretty enough. WHITE LETTERS

This man speaks true.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

InitialDave posted:

3k at highway speeds sounds OK to me? Just how it is with small revvy petrol engines.

How it was with 1960s V8s, too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

How it was with 1960s V8s, too.

Still is, too.

E: oh yeah you're the guy with the 327 vette, you know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009