Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Standing in front of guns... bad? What poppycock is this? Recall the observer, he's clearly an idiot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Mine is about one of their expats yelling at an Emirati colonel in an exercise debrief to the point that the colonel sat the hell down and was actually not allowed to fly the rest of the exercise.
Well, what'd he do?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Multiple training rule violations, including busting airspace, unsafe approaches on other aircraft, trying to shout down the debriefer when it was being shown on the big screen in front of everyone, and yelling at me for responding to his requests for information correctly during the mission, which was not the answer he wanted. The gist of it is that he wanted me to call an adversary "hostile" which would let him "shoot" his missile, but that adversary was merged (think Top Gun gunfight) with a friendly which means I have to call it a "furball" because on that system there's no way to accurately tell which is the adversary and which is the friendly. He tried 4 or 5 times to get me to declare it hostile, but gently caress that. If I call it hostile and he shoots the wrong dude, we both go to jail.

I don't know who that Brit was, but he was in civvies and was fed up with the colonel's poo poo.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

lol

"On January 16, Union celebrations were dampened when the fort's magazine exploded, killing and wounding 200 Union soldiers and Confederate prisoners who were sleeping on the roof of the magazine chamber or nearby. U.S. Navy Ensign Alfred Stow Leighton died in the explosion while in charge of a squad trying to recover bodies from the fort parapet. Although several Union soldiers initially thought Confederate prisoners were responsible, an investigation opened by Terry concluded that unknown Union soldiers (possibly drunken marines) had entered the magazine with torches and ignited the powder."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some things never change :allears:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Speaking of Brits being an interesting band of folks, at my FRS we have a sizable contingent of Flight Lieutenants and their senior enlisted to crosstrain on the P-8. All the officers are in their mid to late 40's, one of them enlisted in the 80s and did 20 years before going officer for another 15, I think he just missed the Falklands by one or two years.

My last flight we had the plane packed out with a bunch of student observers and a British crew. In the briefing one of their E-9's proceeded to chew out our LCDR in front of everyone over a really minor flight detail. I heard him talking with one of the LTs later and he was pissed off, he wanted to call out the dude, but wasnt sure of protocol for putting him to task since he was a foreigner. Didn't help the Brit officers were in the room too and didnt see anything wrong with it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
IDK if you care about this but a good friend of mine was overage to join the British army as an officer (or at all maybe) at 27 or so, so he joined the TA instead. Since the army is so lean or whatever, he had to go on a 6-month tour anyway so he volunteered to do Afghanistan instead of Iraq. He was in a group of my friends who are all fairly liberal. He joined signals or whatever it's called as an officer.

He now absolutely hates Muslims and Arabs. He turned into a right-winger. He transformed entirely. Anyway, I suppose this is just a story about the army making someone an idiot. He moved to another country recently and works as a mercenary/contractor/whatever it's called when you're not in the army and do army stuff.

edit: oh: the transformation started when he did some kind of test and did super well on the physical stuff since he was very fit, but scored low on 'leadership'. He then turned into a complete douche and started bossing us all around and being a dick in general. I think it worked for him though, for the army.

redreader fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 31, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, it's extremely loving toxic and it's easy to lose yourself in it

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

redreader posted:

IDK if you care about this but a good friend of mine was overage to join the British army as an officer (or at all maybe) at 27 or so, so he joined the TA instead. Since the army is so lean or whatever, he had to go on a 6-month tour anyway so he volunteered to do Afghanistan instead of Iraq. He was in a group of my friends who are all fairly liberal. He joined signals or whatever it's called as an officer.

He now absolutely hates Muslims and Arabs. He turned into a right-winger. He transformed entirely. Anyway, I suppose this is just a story about the army making someone an idiot. He moved to another country recently and works as a mercenary/contractor/whatever it's called when you're not in the army and do army stuff.

edit: oh: the transformation started when he did some kind of test and did super well on the physical stuff since he was very fit, but scored low on 'leadership'. He then turned into a complete douche and started bossing us all around and being a dick in general. I think it worked for him though, for the army.

Sounds like a cock who took the wrong message away from chucking piss bottles at kids.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Speaking of Brits being an interesting band of folks, at my FRS we have a sizable contingent of Flight Lieutenants and their senior enlisted to crosstrain on the P-8. All the officers are in their mid to late 40's, one of them enlisted in the 80s and did 20 years before going officer for another 15, I think he just missed the Falklands by one or two years.

My last flight we had the plane packed out with a bunch of student observers and a British crew. In the briefing one of their E-9's proceeded to chew out our LCDR in front of everyone over a really minor flight detail. I heard him talking with one of the LTs later and he was pissed off, he wanted to call out the dude, but wasnt sure of protocol for putting him to task since he was a foreigner. Didn't help the Brit officers were in the room too and didnt see anything wrong with it.

Yeah that always weirded me out. Most of their officers were all very senior prior enlisted and switched over into that officer track where you stay a permanent LT and do nothing but fly. Since they’d all been enlisted together and since there were so few of them for so long after the Nimrods got axed they had the weirdest relationship.

I got the impression that the rest of the RAF really disliked them, possibly for that kind of stuff. Or maybe just because people hate the fat kids who aren’t fighter pilots.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A friend of mine in the Canadian Army right now (Might've been Navy, it's two brothers I am friends with and I get them confused sometimes because they're very twinlike, one is Army Intelligence, other is Navy); talked about how some Major or Lt. Colonel came by making all sorts of comments about how lucky the troops were now for having so many hot girl troopers were around nowadays.

He got reported and got transferred/demoted fast.

I like to ask them hypothetical questions because army life is fascinating. Like what happens if you're so blackout drunk when oversees in a foreign port that you miss your boat leaving port. Short answer is apparently you eventually have a one on one meeting with a very pissed off Commodore and a court martial soon after, and that's if you do everything right and go to the consulate immediately to report in.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That kind of happened to my grandad back between Korea and Vietnam. He was a seabee and had developed a toothache between leaving port in California and getting to Hawaii en route to somewhere in the South Pacific. The ship didn't have what they needed to take care of it, so he got off while they were docked and got the dentist in port to fix it. Turns out he needed dental surgery, so they put him on quarters for a week afterwards. By the time he's allowed to leave he goes back to the dock and his ship is gone. He got to radio them and he'd just slipped between the cracks, and they weren't going to turn around and couldn't fly him to where they were going, so he just got to hang out in Hawaii for a couple of months until the ship came back.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

That kind of happened to my grandad back between Korea and Vietnam. He was a seabee and had developed a toothache between leaving port in California and getting to Hawaii en route to somewhere in the South Pacific. The ship didn't have what they needed to take care of it, so he got off while they were docked and got the dentist in port to fix it. Turns out he needed dental surgery, so they put him on quarters for a week afterwards. By the time he's allowed to leave he goes back to the dock and his ship is gone. He got to radio them and he'd just slipped between the cracks, and they weren't going to turn around and couldn't fly him to where they were going, so he just got to hang out in Hawaii for a couple of months until the ship came back.

Sounds like he got one up on the Navy

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

See, stories like this are loving myths that make it sound like the military is cool.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

Sounds like he got one up on the Navy

For as much as he won, someone else got hopelessly hosed. Does the navy have an equivalent term for the Green Weenie?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Yeah someone got in trouble for missing movement even if he didn't.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I had a some idiot from A school get assigned to the Nimitz. Fast track three years later and I’m doing civilian work on her in dry dock and I hear his voice whining to a very irritable chief. I hunt him down and see not only does he not have a rank tab he also has a restricted red tag on. I’m kinda shocked but still curious and I go up to him.
Long story short he got drunk(possibly alone it wasn’t clear) after getting frocked for PO2 and missed ships movement and got demolished to E1. He was also about to get out and wondered if I could help him find a job.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I had a some idiot from A school get assigned to the Nimitz. Fast track three years later and I’m doing civilian work on her in dry dock and I hear his voice whining to a very irritable chief. I hunt him down and see not only does he not have a rank tab he also has a restricted red tag on. I’m kinda shocked but still curious and I go up to him.
Long story short he got drunk(possibly alone it wasn’t clear) after getting frocked for PO2 and missed ships movement and got demolished to E1. He was also about to get out and wondered if I could help him find a job.
Go to Burger King and ask for an application.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Go to Burger King and ask for an application.

gently caress no I eat there from time to time.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress no I eat there from time to time.

This is the hosed up part of the story.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

This is the hosed up part of the story.

Whopper no mayo extra pickles are in my once a month rotation and I won’t have no loving idiot mess it up for me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

At Knox they warned us not to do that because the tungsten dart would hit a suburban area on the other side of the mountain.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What does that mean? I thought that the rounds were self contained? Your angle of firing?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goodpancakes posted:

What does that mean? I thought that the rounds were self contained? Your angle of firing?

Sabots fly a lot faster than HEAT, so you don't account for arc as much.

If you're set for firing HEAT but load sabot, you're going to send a round into Low Earth Orbit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm suddenly reminded of the Sir Isaac Newton rant from Mass Effect 2.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of the Sir Isaac Newton rant from Mass Effect 2.

the deadliest son of a bitch in space!

I guess it'd be like loading the incorrect charge. At one range we used to use we could only go charge 3 maximum and any changes to that were pretty visible in the recoil of the gun. Charge 3 on a 105 doesn't cause a wild amount of recoil so when you're seeing the same foot or so of recoil over and over again and then WHAM the entire barrel assembly slams back almost 3 feet you know "oh gently caress that was charge 7 better call the farmers and see if they have any fresh beef tartare in their fields"

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 1, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was training an actress on guns and took her out with a single-shot shotgun that she'd be firing in the movie. Before testing blanks, we loaded up a variety of live ammo so she could adequately mimic recoil.

We finished off with a 3-inch magnum slug out of a very light gun. It nearly knocked her off her feet.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

EBB posted:

At Knox they warned us not to do that because the tungsten dart would hit a suburban area on the other side of the mountain.

Call me crazy but I feel that there should be a bit more of a precaution taken against that than just issuing a warning

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Call me crazy but I feel that there should be a bit more of a precaution taken against that than just issuing a warning

It's one of those things that would be difficult to do at a controlled range because the gunner and commander should memorize the target types beforehand. It would take a gently caress-up to get a SABOT round in the tube for a HEAT engagement. Now the real fun part comes if you manage to induce a failure mode associated with this error (details are boring, skipping them). The gun tube shoots to max elevation and if you squeeze the trigger that SABOT dart is loving gone. Procedure is for the range officer to call "Cease fire, FREEZE", which instructs the crew to leave the gun and tank in the exact setting it is without touching anything. Then a tank master gunner has to come out to the tank and do a bunch of math with the firing computer to figure out where the gently caress the round landed.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Horrifying: the master gunners now don't know how to do this, not sure if they ever did.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm pretty sure north korea has a few extra odd tons of tungsten somewhere throughout it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

I'm pretty sure north korea has a few extra odd tons of tungsten somewhere throughout it.

I would not be surprised if they were mining the spalling for re-use.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

EBB posted:

This happened while I was at Knox, IIRC it was found miles downrange stuck through a telephone pole.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

The impact area for a tank range can only account but for so much. I’ve only ever done it at Fort Greely, and luckily we had a couple of fuckoff sized mountains as a backstop in case anyone ever played NASA with the 105.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Cage Kicker posted:

This happened while I was at Knox, IIRC it was found miles downrange stuck through a telephone pole.

I can't imagine how far a sabot would have to travel to bleed off so much velocity that it wouldn't just obliterate the pole, that thing must've been in another county.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I can't imagine how far a sabot would have to travel to bleed off so much velocity that it wouldn't just obliterate the pole, that thing must've been in another county.

Assuming it was pointed up and on a ballistic trajectory it would be coming down at terminal velocity. So, yeah, it would be way way slower. You’re also talking a really long distance. Perhaps REALLY long if it was at the optimal angle for distance.

To put things in perspective a bog standard WWII M2 loading of .30-06 goes about 2.5 miles at a 40-is degree angle depending on weather humidity etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I vaguely recall it being something like 40 miles but don't quote me.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

EBB posted:

I vaguely recall it being something like 40 miles but don't quote me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

:rip: