Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Listerine posted:

You really also need to consider which renderer is being used and how it's accomplishing the job (software vs. GPU). If you're using a GPU renderer like Redshift, it is actually cheaper to buy two 2070s than a single 2080 Ti and you will get better performance. Of course that might require a more expensive PSU if you have to support two cards, but it's still another factor to consider if the renderer scales linearly with # of GPUs. You might even be better off getting multiple 2060s or 1660 Ti cards than a single, more expensive card, depending on what level of performance you want to reach and the deals you can get on cards.

(snip)

I just watched this video, and I don't think they showed anything that you specifically need a Quadro card for- Arnold's GPU version is another GPU based renderer like Octane and Redshift. You can still run a lot of these GPU renderers on GTX and RTX cards, so in other words the "real-time rendering" they're talking about would be possible on RTX cards as well, you'd just potentially need more of them to reach the same level of performance.

I would definitely not recommend spending the premium for a Quadro card unless you know specifically that you need one- either because you need the extra RAM for the size of your scenes, or because the renderer is only compatible with Quadro drivers, because of some other technical reason related to the performance of the card, or because you're running dozens to hundreds in a render farm and need the increased longevity under such severe loads. I think if you don't already know that you need a Quadro, you're not the kind of user that needs to spend the price premium.

Thanks for the tips and knowledge! I work in animation but I mostly work in 2d hand-drawn; I'm generally not doing any rendering beyond playblast-y type stuff to check my scenes. I'm trying to learn more about where and when to best use certain GPUs for content-creation tasks. I only have a passing understanding of the quadros and know I probably wouldn't need to use one.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TremorX posted:

So it's time to build a decent rig and I'm a little iffy on whether or not this is the best value.

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming, Sim-racing, VR
What's your budget? $1300ish
What is your monitor resolution? 1080 @ 144hz and 4k @ 60hz, and/or the new Oculus Rift S when it comes out.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
MB: Asus ROG STRIX X470F
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200
SSD: Western Digital Black NVME 500gb M.2-2280
GPU: Asus RTX2060 STRIX Gaming OC
CASE: NZXT H500i White
PSU: EVGA BQ 750W Semi-Modular

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3gzpcY

I want something that looks nice, will be solid for the next few years, and run things like iRacing in VR with no problems. I'll eventually move to liquid cooling to overclock. Is there anywhere where I could squeeze out a little more bang-for-my-buck?

Unless you're playing something that really benefits from the 2700X or doing serious multi-core productivity work, I'd save money and drop down to a 2600X (or wait for the 3600X, probably releasing this summer). That should put you in range of a 2070 (~20% boost over the 2060), which should help with the Rift S, since it's basically 1440p/80Hz. Alternatively, just bank the savings for a GPU/CPU upgrade a few years down the road!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($549.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1285.71

I also bumped up your SSD to 1TB and your PSU to a Gold (modular are much nicer to work with, plus you'll get a better unit with a 10-year rather than 5-year warranty). The 750W is a bit of an overkill, but it's currently cheaper than other units! The

Even with the 2700X, there's not much OC room beyond what you can do with the stock cooler and auto-overclock (Precision Boost Overdrive). Going hog-wild with liquid cooling and a manual overclock might get you another 1-2% performance.

E: Here's an idea of the performance you can expect with a 2070 vs 2060 on High/Ultra settings at 1080p/1440p/4k. Here's the 2070 vs. 2080/2080 Ti.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 29, 2019

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
hello thread i am being convinced to rejoin pc gaming and have gone from being prepared to spend a little to almost buying whats below, help me out as its been years since ive used anything pc related that wasnt provided by work

What country are you in? Australia
What are you using the system for? Gaming, VR, Sim Racing
What's your budget? none in mind, went from $1500 up to the $3500 build the pc gaming lads at work recommended/got quoted up for me
What is your monitor resolution? i have a 4k/144hz monitor at home that gets a surface book plugged into it

what the work techs specced up is

CPU: i7 8700k
CPU: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Pro
MB: Gigabyte ATX Z390 Aorus Pro
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3200
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 8GB Aurous Extreme
CASE: Thermaltake Versa J24 Tempered Glass
PSU: 850W Corsair HX850i Plus Platinum

I don't want to be buying anything else for a while or messing around with it outside of playing vidya games on it without worrying about settings/fps

all of the above is available via our normal supplier and comes with a 3 year replacement warranty direct from them vs manufacturer warranty (quote came from computer alliance @ $3,442 prison country dollars), reading this thread it seems excessive now

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelGrip posted:

hello thread i am being convinced to rejoin pc gaming and have gone from being prepared to spend a little to almost buying whats below, help me out as its been years since ive used anything pc related that wasnt provided by work

What country are you in? Australia
What are you using the system for? Gaming, VR, Sim Racing
What's your budget? none in mind, went from $1500 up to the $3500 build the pc gaming lads at work recommended/got quoted up for me
What is your monitor resolution? i have a 4k/144hz monitor at home that gets a surface book plugged into it

what the work techs specced up is

CPU: i7 8700k
CPU: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Pro
MB: Gigabyte ATX Z390 Aorus Pro
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3200
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 8GB Aurous Extreme
CASE: Thermaltake Versa J24 Tempered Glass
PSU: 850W Corsair HX850i Plus Platinum

I don't want to be buying anything else for a while or messing around with it outside of playing vidya games on it without worrying about settings/fps

all of the above is available via our normal supplier and comes with a 3 year replacement warranty direct from them vs manufacturer warranty (quote came from computer alliance @ $3,442 prison country dollars), reading this thread it seems excessive now

Specced you up a computer with some improvements to the listed build, for less, if you are willing to get a variety of suppliers.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($649.00 @ Newegg Australia)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($118.00 @ Austin Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($385.00 @ PC Byte)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($171.00 @ Austin Computers)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($188.80 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($1069.00 @ PC Byte)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.00 @ PLE Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.60 @ Newegg Australia)
Total: $2846.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-29 19:54 AEDT+1100

Why 9700k over 8700k? 2 additional cores, higher clocks and better thermal material makes this CPU a winner in performance over the 8700k, even with the loss of Hyperthreading.

Why the WD drive over the Samsung QVO? It is straight up a better performer, it's similar in performance to the Corsair MX500, while being 10 AUD cheaper. The QVO drives are built for budget and size over all else, performance, reliability and quality take kind of a back seat on those drives, and I can't really recommend them over the MX500 or WD Blue drive.

Case I picked because Fractal Design makes good cases, and the full mesh front will breathe well which improves your cooling in the case. Also in my personal opinion looks better than the J24.

Went with a seasonic 550w PSU over the Corsair because it is a better unit, you don't need 850w for your build, and Seasonic makes excellent power supplies.

Likewise I went with Corsair Vengeance Pro LPX 3000 because it is on literally every motherboards compatibility list ever, and 3200 isn't too much of a performance boost for the potential loss of compatibility (3200mhz ram and up is getting into the territory where you will only have 1 approved ram part number for your board, and even then you're rolling dice on stability sometimes, where as 3000 MHz is cheaper and Rock solid at XMP speeds)

The Noctua D15s I went with over the H115i because it is both better at cooling than the AIO cooler, it is cheaper than the AIO.

Question, did the build you list include system integrator pricing? (Is the supplier building the thing for you? My price assumes you're building the PC)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 29, 2019

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
thanks for the explanation mate. I have a few days before I can actually drop the hammer on anything so any advice on parts is appreciated. Can I ask why air cooled over liquid? Less drama? I’m in one of the hotter states here, or are will that not be a problem overall?

There is a small chance using our one supplier will save me 35% or more off whatever I do get, so I will check their price with your changes as well. If that isn’t going to work I’m all for best price from wherever though, and don’t want to be buying what marketing speak says is the best.

Edit: you edit faster than I post- ignore the cooler question.

Yeah includes them building it, and that’s how I get the 3 year replacement warranty on the build itself.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelGrip posted:

thanks for the explanation mate. I have a few days before I can actually drop the hammer on anything so any advice on parts is appreciated. Can I ask why air cooled over liquid? Less drama? I’m in one of the hotter states here, or are will that not be a problem overall?

There is a small chance using our one supplier will save me 35% or more off whatever I do get, so I will check their price with your changes as well. If that isn’t going to work I’m all for best price from wherever though, and don’t want to be buying what marketing speak says is the best.

Edit: you edit faster than I post- ignore the cooler question.

Yeah includes them building it, and that’s how I get the 3 year replacement warranty on the build itself.

Cool,

Yeah think it over, see if you can get better or acceptable pricing from your system integrator on the parts, I couldn't find a way to price up the listed parts via them offhand but I'm on my phone at the moment.

If not, it's up to you to decide if it's worth giving up the convenience of not building yourself for the price premium. Odds are you would have no problems in 3 years barring the system integrator colossally loving up while building it, as most parts have a longer mfg warranty than 3 years anyways.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah I would build it myself (have one of the guys at work do it) vs let them personally but my main thing is trying to score the 35% off via work shenanigans. Thanks for the heads up on some of the parts and the recommendations though.

I’ve had a quick look at their site can they have everything you recommended bar the psu (only have the 1050w and 1000w seasonics) but definitely more expensive than ordering around.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Been watching the price of the case I picked out fall on amazon daily. Yesterday it only dropped a buck or less, so I moved on it. This morning, nearly doubled.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm building my wife a gaming PC for her anniversary present. I directed her to PC Part Picker to look at builds, and that I would build something to fit in whatever case she wants. She was inspired by this build which uses the Fractal Design Node 202 customized with a pink/purple paint job. We're going to try something similar with hers, but with a solid light pink color throughout and a light coat of silver glitter spray on top.

She's primarily a console gamer. She's been itching to join the mouse & keyboard brigade, play TF2 with me, and try out some other stuff on her own. She would be playing 1080p @ 60fps, and possibly doing some Twitch streaming in the future.

Here's the build I've come up with so far. I'm open to suggestions:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock - Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.69 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team - L5 LITE 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Corsair)
Operating System: *Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: *Thermaltake - CL-F011-PL12BL-A 40.99 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $911.61
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-29 11:24 EDT-0400

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 29, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

DizzyBum posted:

I'm building my wife a gaming PC for her anniversary present. I directed her to PC Part Picker to look at builds, and that I would build something to fit in whatever case she wants. She was inspired by this build which uses the Fractal Design Node 202 customized with a pink/purple paint job. We're going to try something similar with hers, but with a solid light pink color throughout and a light coat of silver glitter spray on top.

She's primarily a console gamer. She's been itching to join the mouse & keyboard brigade, play TF2 with me, and try out some other stuff on her own. She would be playing 1080p @ 60fps, and possibly doing some Twitch streaming in the future.

Here's the build I've come up with so far. I'm open to suggestions:

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock - Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.69 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team - L5 LITE 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($48.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Corsair)
Operating System: *Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: *Thermaltake - CL-F011-PL12BL-A 40.99 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $911.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-29 11:24 EDT-0400

Buy a windows key on SA-Mart, use the savings to get a 6 core processor. I'd start here. You could also consider a 1660 (non ti) to save 50. 500gb also fills up fast if you're download games, so I'd look into a larger drive or a storage drive if the case will fit it.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Buy a windows key on SA-Mart, use the savings to get a 6 core processor. I'd start here. You could also consider a 1660 (non ti) to save 50. 500gb also fills up fast if you're download games, so I'd look into a larger drive or a storage drive if the case will fit it.

What's the difference between a Ti card and the non-Ti version (besides the price)?

I'll definitely consider a bigger drive, too. The case is a bit tight for two drives, and I'm planning on building a home NAS for our long-term file storage anyway.

Also, how the heck did I miss that Windows key thread? I browse SA-Mart pretty frequently.

Thanks!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 29, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, current gen is probably decent but I wouldn't gently caress with i3 if there was any way at all to afford the i5.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Updated the build. I realized I'm not picky with Intel vs. AMD like I used to be, so that might have been holding me back.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($25.00)
Total: $883.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-29 12:50 EDT-0400

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWGb5y22FbM

If you're curious of the in game performance of several graphics cards at 1080p ultra in a very recent AAA title. 1660 and 1660ti are both on there so you can determine if 50 bucks is worth the fps boost.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The general consensus from what I've seen on review videos for both the GPUs is the 1660 is not quite worth it but the 1660ti is great value.

50 bucks for a noticeable straight up 10-20 FPS boost also makes sense.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 29, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, based on all that info, I'll go with the 1660 Ti. :thumbsup:

One more build link for good measure. I'll let that bake for a few days before I start pulling triggers. Any more advice is definitely appreciated!

e: VVVVVVV Whoops! Fixed. :downs:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 29, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

List is set to private.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

One more build link for good measure. I'll let that bake for a few days before I start pulling triggers. Any more advice is definitely appreciated!

e: VVVVVVV Whoops! Fixed. :downs:

Remember you will need 2 case fans for the GPU bay. Heat is a real problem in the Node 202, so you should never leave any spots that can hold a case fan unpopulated.

E: the RAM you selected is not compatible with that board at that speed. It is listed, but it's running at 2400mhz with that CPU. I can't find Crucial memory on any Ryzen QVL memory lists above 2400mhz, which means it really doesn't play nice.

Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($103.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $968.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-29 14:46 EDT-0400

This build makes a slight change on the motherboard (same price, but expanded memory compatibility)
Also includes memory that is listed on that board's QVL as verified to run stable at the listed clock speed and timings, which will cause the least headaches. Trust me, you don't want a memory compatibility headache.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 29, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

orange juche posted:

Remember you will need 2 case fans for the GPU bay. Heat is a real problem in the Node 202, so you should never leave any spots that can hold a case fan unpopulated.

Oh right, thanks! I added a second fan.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

This final link is private, but here's a number of tweaks to consider:

Motherboard: MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $998.57

Memory: Since Ryzen's system bus is tied to memory clock speed, faster clock speeds get a little bit better performance (scroll for charts). The Aegis kit is also QVL for Ryzen motherboards, which isn't likely to be necessary for 2666 or even 3000, but is good for the peace of mind.

Storage: It's tough to recommend the 660p as a primary system drive until we see how they perform in the long term. It's cheap, but it's first-generation QLC tech and sacrifices speed (over other NVMe drives) and durability to reduce the price. The MX500 is a bit more expensive, but it's performance is basically identical and it's durability is proven. If you'd like a faster drive, the NVMe HP ex920 is just $15 more.

Video Card: For another comparison source, here's Babeltech's 1660 review with a chart comparing performance on a whole mess of games. I was going to suggest the Armor for $10 more, but the 1660 Ti version of the Ventus seems to be pretty close to the Gaming X in both thermals and noise (the Armor should be similar to the Gaming X). The Ventus is actually pretty quiet and cool to start with, so I probably wouldn't bother, even for just $10.

Power Supply: 450W should be enough for a 2600 + 1660 Ti, so you'd be fine leaving as-is. 600 watts would give you a bit more headroom for upgrading to a more power-hungry CPU/GPU down the line and/or overclocking.

E: You might also consider the Silverstone ML08b. It doesn't look quite as clean, but it has better airflow! I suspect you won't have issues with a 2600 and a 1660 Ti, though.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 29, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stickman posted:

This final link is private, but here's a number of tweaks to consider:

Motherboard: MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($134.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $998.57

Memory: Since Ryzen's system bus is tied to memory clock speed, faster clock speeds get a little bit better performance (scroll for charts). The Aegis kit is also QVL for Ryzen motherboards, which isn't likely to be necessary for 2666 or even 3000, but is good for the peace of mind.

Storage: It's tough to recommend the 660p as a primary system drive until we see how they perform in the long term. It's cheap, but it's first-generation QLC tech and sacrifices speed (over other NVMe drives) and durability to reduce the price. The MX500 is a bit more expensive, but it's performance is basically identical and it's durability is proven. If you'd like a faster drive, the NVMe HP ex920 is just $15 more.

Video Card: For another comparison source, here's Babeltech's 1660 review with a chart comparing performance on a whole mess of games. I was going to suggest the Armor for $10 more, but the 1660 Ti version of the Ventus seems to be pretty close to the Gaming X in both thermals and noise (the Armor should be similar to the Gaming X). The Ventus is actually pretty quiet and cool to start with, so I probably wouldn't bother, even for just $10.

Power Supply: 450W should be enough for a 2600 + 1660 Ti, so you'd be fine leaving as-is. 600 watts would give you a bit more headroom for upgrading to a more power-hungry CPU/GPU down the line and/or overclocking.

E: You might also consider the Silverstone ML08b. It doesn't look quite as clean, but it has better airflow! I suspect you won't have issues with a 2600 and a 1660 Ti, though.

Does the ML08b have better airflow? One review on PCpartpicker stated that removing the side panel dropped the CPU temps by 20c, due to there being so few ventilation holes in the CPU compartment.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I appreciate the recommendations but my wife is pretty much locked-in for her case choice. I'm sure someone would chime in if it was a truly lovely case, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orange juche posted:

Does the ML08b have better airflow? One review on PCpartpicker stated that removing the side panel dropped the CPU temps by 20c, due to there being so few ventilation holes in the CPU compartment.

Neither case has fantastic cooling, but from what I've seen the ML08B is a bit better. The biggest problem with the 202 is that the GPU bay has a huge intake vent but no exhaust - if they'd just set up some proper airflow in the chamber it would have been much cooler! Neither should be too much of an issue with a 1660 Ti, though, so the ML08B probably isn't worth the extra money + cheaper looking design.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stickman posted:

Neither case has fantastic cooling, but from what I've seen the ML08B is a bit better. The biggest problem with the 202 is that the GPU bay has a huge intake vent but no exhaust - if they'd just set up some proper airflow in the chamber it would have been much cooler! Neither should be too much of an issue with a 1660 Ti, though, so the ML08B probably isn't worth the extra money + cheaper looking design.

Yeah that front panel looks like cheap trash, and the buttons apparently feel cheap too. Weird for Silverstone, usually they make cases that look like they absolutely belong in a HTPC environment (upscale, attractive, expensive looking)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orange juche posted:

Yeah that front panel looks like cheap trash, and the buttons apparently feel cheap too. Weird for Silverstone, usually they make cases that look like they absolutely belong in a HTPC environment (upscale, attractive, expensive looking)

It's weird to me that nobody's released a better version of the 202 yet - it looks great, it just has a few minor quibbles that would make it much better! I don't really keep up with SFF stuff, though, so it's possible that there's something new in that price range and form factor.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stickman posted:

It's weird to me that nobody's released a better version of the 202 yet - it looks great, it just has a few minor quibbles that would make it much better! I don't really keep up with SFF stuff, though, so it's possible that there's something new in that price range and form factor.

A grille on the GPU compartment that allowed hot air from the compartment to escape would be great, instead of the tiny little slit that it has in that compartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nv6fpskKyM

2 fans brings down temps to an acceptable temperature on a 1070 (68-75c depending on horizontal or vertical orientation), it will not thermally throttle. A 1660ti should experience similar temps due to similar power draw.

1 fan is also "acceptable" but spending an extra 5 bucks for another fan would really help.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 29, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

edit: disregard, I misread some stuff

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

orange juche posted:

A grille on the GPU compartment that allowed hot air from the compartment to escape would be great, I guess you could do a side by side push/pull with 2 fans to circulate air in the compartment? I don't know if that would allow better air circulation than just 2 fans pushing in to the compartment with just the tiny slit on the GPU compartment for external ventilation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nv6fpskKyM

2 fans brings down temps to an acceptable temperature, it will not thermally throttle.

I thought about that, but the problem with push-pull is that you'd just be recirculating hot air. I think the best solution for something hot like a 2080 Ti would be drilling an exhaust vent in the top/back of the GPU bay. Ideally a redesign would allow the GPU to suck in air directly from outside the case and leave some space behind/above it for exhaust fan(s).

But yeah, 2 intake fans and a 1660 Ti should be totally fine, especially considering it draws a bit less power than a 1070!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 29, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ oh hey

Stickman posted:

Can’t you just punch some holes in the back and drill in spots for a fan using a tap or will there still be insufficient space? Not the most aesthetically pleasing option, I know.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Out of curiosity - What cases would you guys suggest as alternatives to the node 202 if any case were an option for Dizzybum's build.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Out of curiosity - What cases would you guys suggest as alternatives to the node 202 if any case were an option for Dizzybum's build.

There really isn't a wealth of SFF options in that particular form factor (horizontal A/V receiver style) I can think of perhaps 2-3 cases total that would work.

However, if Dizzybum wanted to consider a mini ITX tower, there's some REALLY pretty ITX towers out there. If a Mini ITX tower is an option, there's a massive amount of possible cases out there.

https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/mini-itx/prodigy/

This is in my opinion one of the most attractive mini ITX towers to build in, great airflow too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXDgjVY_EI
Review for white version but it's the same except with a mesh front panel.

E: drat hardware canucks tried to stuff a triple slot graphics card in an ITX case :facepalm: and a 1000w PSU. I don't think they are the best guys for ITX case reviews.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 29, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Spacedad posted:

The node 202 is fine for what Dizzybum is doing. It's not the same htpc-style form factor, but the Dan Cases A4, the NCase M1, and the Kolink Rocket should all outperform the 202 (especially the M1, since it's a little bigger and can fit a larger CPU cooler). They're all ridiculously expensive, though, so tough to recommend unless you're going all-in and money isn't an option!

Node 202, Dan A4, NCase M1:

E: Once you get out of the SFF cases to ITX tower/cubes like the Prodigy or the Core V1 or NZXT H200 you start getting a lot more room for airflow and cooling. They are quite a bit bigger, though!

NCase M1 vs Prodigy:

VVVV That looks really nice! The stock 2600 cooler wouldn't fit, but if I'm paying $250 for a case I can probably afford a low-profile CPU cooler, too.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 29, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Spacedad posted:

For this exact form factor there's only the Silverstone equivalents (ML08 etc) for alternatives in the same price category.

There's also the upcoming Sentry 2.0 if price is no object (expect to cost at least $250), performs better in the GPU compartment than the Node 202 thanks to a ventilated bottom and feet that raise the whole case up more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LEmbXYB8-Q&t=332s

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Stickman posted:

Unless you're playing something that really benefits from the 2700X or doing serious multi-core productivity work, I'd save money and drop down to a 2600X (or wait for the 3600X, probably releasing this summer). That should put you in range of a 2070 (~20% boost over the 2060), which should help with the Rift S, since it's basically 1440p/80Hz. Alternatively, just bank the savings for a GPU/CPU upgrade a few years down the road!

I also bumped up your SSD to 1TB and your PSU to a Gold (modular are much nicer to work with, plus you'll get a better unit with a 10-year rather than 5-year warranty). The 750W is a bit of an overkill, but it's currently cheaper than other units!

Even with the 2700X, there's not much OC room beyond what you can do with the stock cooler and auto-overclock (Precision Boost Overdrive). Going hog-wild with liquid cooling and a manual overclock might get you another 1-2% performance.

Thanks! I wound up ordering most of what I had there; I did find a cheap EVGA modular PSU and got some nice orange accent cables to go with it. Not a bad recommendation, but I want to stick with the 2700X for other stuff like video production and Photoshop/Illustrator, which I use a still-chugging-along-happily, 7-year-old I7 iMac to do right now. You did, however, convince me to go with a 2070 instead of a 2060. I need the DVI-D for my monitor to run at 144hz so EVGA looks like the only option. I could probably make do with an active DVI/DP dongle but I don't wanna mess with that. It's a little bit more expensive but this month I'm lucking out enough I can make it work.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Mostly games. Maybe mess around with training neural networks as a toy project.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. ~£1300 max? Not really a hard budget i just don't think i need super high end.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920 * 1080

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£230.40 @ Alza)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£149.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£94.49 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£118.00 @ AWD-IT)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.18 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (£326.46 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master - N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£52.51 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.72 @ Alza)
Total: £1129.74

Am i making any dumb errors here? I mainly just want a computer to run modern 3D games at ok settings without performance issues as my current machine is from 2011. Also is Alza a legit store? I've never heard of it and some of the parts like the CPU are a lot cheaper from there than anywhere else which i find weird.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

orange juche posted:

There really isn't a wealth of SFF options in that particular form factor (horizontal A/V receiver style) I can think of perhaps 2-3 cases total that would work.

However, if Dizzybum wanted to consider a mini ITX tower, there's some REALLY pretty ITX towers out there. If a Mini ITX tower is an option, there's a massive amount of possible cases out there.

https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/mini-itx/prodigy/

This is in my opinion one of the most attractive mini ITX towers to build in, great airflow too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXDgjVY_EI
Review for white version but it's the same except with a mesh front panel.

E: drat hardware canucks tried to stuff a triple slot graphics card in an ITX case :facepalm: and a 1000w PSU. I don't think they are the best guys for ITX case reviews.

I have this case, and yeah it's real sharp looking and pretty quiet, but it's pretty big for an mITX case and the airflow isn't as good as it looks because there's practically no cable management.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 30, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CJ posted:

What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Mostly games. Maybe mess around with training neural networks as a toy project.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. ~£1300 max? Not really a hard budget i just don't think i need super high end.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920 * 1080

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£230.40 @ Alza)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£149.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£94.49 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£118.00 @ AWD-IT)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£36.18 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (£326.46 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.72 @ Alza)
Total: £1129.74

Am i making any dumb errors here? I mainly just want a computer to run modern 3D games at ok settings without performance issues as my current machine is from 2011. Also is Alza a legit store? I've never heard of it and some of the parts like the CPU are a lot cheaper from there than anywhere else which i find weird.

You can save ~£150 by switching to Ryzen. An 8600K will be a small improvement over a 2600X for some games but mostly at very high refresh rates with very powerful GPUS and settings turned dow - the 2600X far outperforms i5s in multicore performance, which should help with NN training if you're using CPU algorithms. Since AMD motherboards will be compatible with the next two generations of AMD CPUs, you'll also have plenty of in-place upgrade options. It's likely that the next generation coming this summer will have options that will beat the 8600K in single-core performance as well as multicore. The stock cooler is also sufficient for close to the maximum overclock (as is the Precision Boost Overdrive auto-overclocking feature), so I'd start with that and only get an aftermarket cooler if you find it too loud!

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£169.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (£117.57 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£113.58 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (£319.97 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.81 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £942.91

The 2060 is cheaper and more powerful than a 1070, plus raytracing! It'll run pretty much every modern AAA game at least at 60fps on Ultra settings (and most at much higher fps). If you want to save a little more money, the 1660 Ti loses raytracing and ~15% performance, but is still great at 1080p.

The Focus Plus Gold saves you £12 and gets you a 10-year instead of 7-year warranty, but the 650W version of the G3 is also cheaper than the 550 right now (£80)!

Either reuse your old windows 7/10 key to activate windows 10, or get a windows 7 pro key from SAMart for $25 and use that to activate Windows 10 Pro.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Stickman posted:

You can save ~£150 by switching to Ryzen. An 8600K will be a small improvement over a 2600X for some games but mostly at very high refresh rates with very powerful GPUS and settings turned dow - the 2600X far outperforms i5s in multicore performance, which should help with NN training if you're using CPU algorithms. Since AMD motherboards will be compatible with the next two generations of AMD CPUs, you'll also have plenty of in-place upgrade options. It's likely that the next generation coming this summer will have options that will beat the 8600K in single-core performance as well as multicore. The stock cooler is also sufficient for close to the maximum overclock (as is the Precision Boost Overdrive auto-overclocking feature), so I'd start with that and only get an aftermarket cooler if you find it too loud!

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£169.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (£117.57 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£113.58 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (£319.97 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£74.81 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £942.91

The 2060 is cheaper and more powerful than a 1070, plus raytracing! It'll run pretty much every modern AAA game at least at 60fps on Ultra settings (and most at much higher fps). If you want to save a little more money, the 1660 Ti loses raytracing and ~15% performance, but is still great at 1080p.

The Focus Plus Gold saves you £12 and gets you a 10-year instead of 7-year warranty, but the 650W version of the G3 is also cheaper than the 550 right now (£80)!

Either reuse your old windows 7/10 key to activate windows 10, or get a windows 7 pro key from SAMart for $25 and use that to activate Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks for the advice. Is there a reason you switched the M.2 SSD for a SATA? Is it not worth the price difference?

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I bought a drone a few weeks ago and I find myself coming home with 50 GB of stuff to look at every night. Anybody have any input on a 2TB budget SSD?

I'm thinking something along these lines

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156175&ignorebbr=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CJ posted:

Thanks for the advice. Is there a reason you switched the M.2 SSD for a SATA? Is it not worth the price difference?

Not for gaming at that price. You’ll see a 0-10% reduction in game load times and 20-30% reduction in Windows boot time (which are already very low, and how much of your time is spent waiting for Windows to boot)? The big advantage is in working with large sequential data, which doesn’t really happen with gaming. In the US where you can get NVMe drives for 10% more than a SATA drive they can be with it, but not when they’re 100% more expensive. SSD prices are expected to continue falling through 2020, so it doesn't really make sense to pay a premium for such a small boost right now!

E: "does" is not "does not"!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 31, 2019