Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is literally the conflict, from his own account.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1111678828428972032

"Hey let him make the calls"

"BUT MY SCOOP...about debate dates..."

"What does it matter? Just let a guy call some people and run it."

"MY SCOOP! TWITTER WILL HEAR OF THIS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

This is literally the conflict, from his own account.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1111678828428972032

"Hey let him make the calls"

"BUT MY SCOOP...about debate dates..."

"What does it matter? Just let a guy call some people and run it."

"MY SCOOP! TWITTER WILL HEAR OF THIS"

an msnbc employee (dafna) wanted a journalist (yashar) to not publish news so that the DNC could coordinate the DNC's affairs better.

why should an msnbc employee care what the DNC wants, and especially why should an msnbc employee try to convince an unaffiliated journalist to do what the DNC wants?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Sexlessness among young men is exploding. Lots of graphs here

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2019/03/29/share-americans-not/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

awesmoe posted:

an msnbc employee (dafna) wanted a journalist (yashar) to not publish news so that the DNC could coordinate the DNC's affairs better.

why should an msnbc employee care what the DNC wants, and especially why should an msnbc employee try to convince an unaffiliated journalist to do what the DNC wants?

I agree, why should he? He's framing a pretty basic 'hey can I get a minute to get my poo poo in order' call as ~bullying~ but he's not showing any evidence that him just saying 'nah man, published' would have resulted in anything but maybe a testy phone convo.

Like, journalists get tons of 'hey don't do this yet' calls and poo poo and most of the time they go 'eh, nah', he's acting like he got shook down.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Charlz Guybon posted:

Sexlessness among young men is exploding. Lots of graphs here

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-world/2019/03/29/share-americans-not/

I feel like there’s some very obvious facts being neglected here, because the narrative they settled on reaches toward the incel thing about all the women competing with one another for the most successful men.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Jean Twenge is a hack (at least her iGen work is bad science), so if she's involved in this I wouldn't expect anything of quality. Unclear from reading the article whether she's commentating or an involved researcher.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like there’s some very obvious facts being neglected here, because the narrative they settled on reaches toward the incel thing about all the women competing with one another for the most successful men.

Anecdotes do not constitute data, but: one of my good friends is 25. Whenever she’s feeling horny, she goes on Tinder, finds an attractive dude, and fucks him. This is so normal to her as to be unexceptional. At any given time, she has over 30 offers of sex from men who meet her personal standards of attractiveness, and several hundred from men who don’t. Outside of that, she meets very few possible partners - a couple of guys at work and friends of friends.

It’s not a stretch to suggest that online dating is becoming the normal mode of meeting someone, or that it directs attention away from people who for whatever reason aren’t appealing. So I don’t see why anyone would be surprised that a lot of men are striking out 100% of the time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If we assume the polling isn't bunk, could we be all that surprised that a generation of guys under pressure to be successful despite coming out of their college years into a poo poo economy in the early 10's with huge debt loads, and boomers too broke to retire choking their promotion prospects, ain't loving as much?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

awesmoe posted:

I don't disagree in principle that the DNC should not get to decide, but them trying to influence how news plays out is not really something to flip out over :shrug:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't disagree in principle that the DNC should not get to decide, but them trying to influence how news plays out is not really something to flip out over :shrug:
The issue isn't the DNC trying to convince yashar to not run the story. The issue is the MSNBC editor, who has nothing to do with the DNC and should take pains to avoid seeming to care about the DNC (to avoid the appearance of conflicts of interest) was trying to lean on yashar to park the story because the DNC wanted it parked. This gives a strong impression that this editor cares more about keeping the DNC happy than she does about journalism, which is the sort of poo poo fox does.
In the grand scheme of things it's tiny, but in terms of journalistic ethics it's pretty not good. I also don't really think he was flipping out, I think he was talking about/reporting on some (in his view) unethical behaviour from a colleague. He didn't write a story or anything, it's just some tweets.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Liquid Communism posted:

If we assume the polling isn't bunk, could we be all that surprised that a generation of guys under pressure to be successful despite coming out of their college years into a poo poo economy in the early 10's with huge debt loads, and boomers too broke to retire choking their promotion prospects, ain't loving as much?
yeah, in addition to that, having to work absurd hours to make ends meet sure does squash prospects of meeting new people or having the time to do so.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

I have to heavily agree with this notion. Sex is being had from my anecdotal experience but nobody I know feels financially secure to have a hellspawn clone of theirs run around their apartment.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
When they ask you why you didn't even lift a finger to stop the death camps, what will you say?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mekchu posted:

I have to heavily agree with this notion. Sex is being had from my anecdotal experience but nobody I know feels financially secure to have a hellspawn clone of theirs run around their apartment.

Anecdotal data isn't, but I know I spent my 20's working my rear end off to keep my head above water and wouldn't be confident I could support a kid ten years later.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nosfereefer posted:

When they ask you why you didn't even lift a finger to stop the death camps, what will you say?

"Sorry, was super busy trying to get a no hit run in Sekiro"

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Mekchu posted:

"Sorry, was super busy trying to get a no hit run in Sekiro"

:same:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

awesmoe posted:

The issue isn't the DNC trying to convince yashar to not run the story. The issue is the MSNBC editor, who has nothing to do with the DNC and should take pains to avoid seeming to care about the DNC (to avoid the appearance of conflicts of interest) was trying to lean on yashar to park the story because the DNC wanted it parked. This gives a strong impression that this editor cares more about keeping the DNC happy than she does about journalism, which is the sort of poo poo fox does.
In the grand scheme of things it's tiny, but in terms of journalistic ethics it's pretty not good. I also don't really think he was flipping out, I think he was talking about/reporting on some (in his view) unethical behaviour from a colleague. He didn't write a story or anything, it's just some tweets.

What made you think MSNBC was in any practical way different from Fox News? Practically all their content is flamingly partisan. I agree it's not good and yeah it's reasonable to point it out and crap on it but it's not shocking either, it's a Dog Bites Man story :shrug:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jussie Smollett is nominated for an NAACP Award, and host Anthony Anderson hopes he wins.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

For maximum comedy, I'd say he should "thank" the CPD sarcastically in his acceptance, but I'm 100% sure they'd just bite the bullet and gun him down for that. :sigh:

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Thank you jussie. Your insane faked hate crime and fake chemical attack on the empire studios went off without a hitch, you got your job back, and everyone loves you. Thank you for doing absolutely nothing to stop hate and also encouraging hate as much as possible. This is what the world needs now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your Parents posted:

Thank you jussie. Your insane faked hate crime and fake chemical attack on the empire studios went off without a hitch, you got your job back, and everyone loves you. Thank you for doing absolutely nothing to stop hate and also encouraging hate as much as possible. This is what the world needs now.

the article racists didn't read posted:

This is the fourth consecutive year Smollett has been nominated in the Image Awards' Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series category.
He previously won in that category in 2017 and has also nabbed three different music-related Image Awards for his work on "Empire," according to IMDb. He's been in attendance for the last three award shows.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Parents posted:

Something is deeply wrong with you if you think the actions of one moderately successful individual do more to “encourage hate” than the loving CPD and Rahm Emanuel. You should examine what’s gone wrong in your life that you’re rhetorically aligned with cops and the living avatar of machine politics.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Your Parents posted:

Can you stop being a racist liar and defaming the only prominent Black Lives Matter activist who isn't selling credit cards or executed in a burnt out car?

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 30, 2019

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Gee, why would the CPD attempt to frame a wealthy black man they can't get away with murdering?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EdithUpwards posted:

Can you stop being a racist liar

Being a wilfully ignorant bigot is forum's user Your Parents' entire gimmick.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

EdithUpwards posted:

Can you stop being a racist liar and defaming the only prominent Black Lives Matter activist who isn't selling credit cards or executed in a burnt out car?

This post is like the most racist one I've seen in this thread. What the gently caress? Shaun King and Erica Garner do a lot more than Jussie, who no one in the world thought had anything to do with BLM until this post. The only thing that guy is concerned about is his own fame.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

isn't garner dead

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

isn't garner dead
Yeah

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Shaun King literally just got busted for not paying people with his charity money and basically being used as a dupe for the Houston cops to rush to arrest two rando black dudes for shooting a young black girl despite everyone saying it was a white guy so cool example there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Which, I believe, brings us back to 'Your Parents is a racist liar'.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
FYI if you’re certain that Jussie faked it then you should be extremely mad at the CPD for loving up thr investigation so badly

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kobayashi posted:

Something is deeply wrong with you if you think the actions of one moderately successful individual do more to “encourage hate” than the loving CPD and Rahm Emanuel. You should examine what’s gone wrong in your life that you’re rhetorically aligned with cops and the living avatar of machine politics.

just thought it was worth pointing out that Your Parents said absolutely nothing about the loving CPD or Rahm Emanuel, and at this point it is not that unreasonable to suspect that basically everyone involved in this sordid drama is a lying rear end in a top hat.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I think there is enough room to think everyone involved is bad for different reasons.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sexpig by night posted:

Shaun King literally just got busted for not paying people with his charity money and basically being used as a dupe for the Houston cops to rush to arrest two rando black dudes for shooting a young black girl despite everyone saying it was a white guy so cool example there.

Yiiikes, post a link please.

Also Your Parents you should stfu before I have to phone probe you from work, dig up stupid.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Being a wilfully ignorant bigot is forum's user Your Parents' entire gimmick.

Once again bringing us back to the "Ironic _____ is the same as just being _____" lesson.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

Yiiikes, post a link please.

Also Your Parents you should stfu before I have to phone probe you from work, dig up stupid.

Here's Shaun doing the very cool and normal thing of fully admitting his fundraisers failed but threatening to sue other activists who claimed it was fraud and not just him being a stupid rear end in a top hat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.d50127f4d49b

As for the other thing it's kinda a longer thing. A five year old black girl got shot in her car, a bunch of witnesses described a white guy in a red truck either as the shooter or as someone right by the car when it got shot. There was even a witness who chased the red truck a few blocks. Shaun gets involved and offers a reward for info after the girls sisters describe basically a big bearded white guy as the guy they saw. Some time passes and Houston PD announces they arrested...two black dudes for the shooting, thanks to a tip to Shaun's reward line. We never found out WHO called that tip, or if they got paid or what, but all we do know is two black dudes got busted after every single person around the shooting said it was one white guy, and it got ran into the ground by the media as "LOOK SEE YOU CAN'T TRUST THOSE BLACKS" and Shaun just quietly noped out without ever facing any accountability, as always.

He's, like, an actually bad person.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Here's Shaun doing the very cool and normal thing of fully admitting his fundraisers failed but threatening to sue other activists who claimed it was fraud and not just him being a stupid rear end in a top hat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.d50127f4d49b

As for the other thing it's kinda a longer thing. A five year old black girl got shot in her car, a bunch of witnesses described a white guy in a red truck either as the shooter or as someone right by the car when it got shot. There was even a witness who chased the red truck a few blocks. Shaun gets involved and offers a reward for info after the girls sisters describe basically a big bearded white guy as the guy they saw. Some time passes and Houston PD announces they arrested...two black dudes for the shooting, thanks to a tip to Shaun's reward line. We never found out WHO called that tip, or if they got paid or what, but all we do know is two black dudes got busted after every single person around the shooting said it was one white guy, and it got ran into the ground by the media as "LOOK SEE YOU CAN'T TRUST THOSE BLACKS" and Shaun just quietly noped out without ever facing any accountability, as always.

He's, like, an actually bad person.

I remember him tweeting out rather vagely along the lines of he didn't agree with the conclusions made from the HPD, and that something was weird about the case, never saw him tweet anything else about it again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nonsense posted:

I remember him tweeting out rather vagely along the lines of he didn't agree with the conclusions made from the HPD, and that something was weird about the case, never saw him tweet anything else about it again.

yea that was after he was 100% in support of them until actual local black activists were all 'uh so did you guys ignore that one dude said he literally chased the car and saw the same guy the kid described or what' and then he very quietly shifted to 'uuuh something is weird' and ran out of town like the monorail salesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1112091249153134598
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/30/politics/state-department-aid-el-slavador-guatemala-honduras/index.html

basically zero tolerance and infinite detainment and kid camps are breaking system hard because it was built for catch and release and such. now CPD is being forced to make camps in underpasses and release people. Trump is pissed and believes all of these countries are sending them here on purpose.