Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Chichevache posted:

Wow. We are just going to let that kind of casual discrimination get thrown around in GiP now?

Who are you to fight against institutionalized racism species-ism.

Don't rock the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kupachek posted:

Who are you to fight against institutionalized racism species-ism.

Don't rock the boat.

I'm rat-kin and I'm highly offended that you've associated my appropriated species with the unclean hairtails that have been stealing our nuts and moving into the government planted trees.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Chichevache posted:

I'm rat-kin and I'm highly offended that you've associated my appropriated species with the unclean hairtails that have been stealing our nuts and moving into the government planted trees.

Please go see Max for punishment

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Please go see Max for punishment

I thought we abolished the death penalty?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Trump is threatening to close the us-mexico border again on twitter.

Also got this gem from last night

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/...ingawful.com%2F

April Current Events: I know a lot about wind; I know a lot about wind

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A few bad apples etc

https://twitter.com/ethanbrown72/status/1111755597257588739?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well trained officers, indeed.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Rip Slim. A pool shootin' boy no more.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

CommieGIR posted:

Well trained officers, indeed.

26 rounds discharged to hit a stationary target from three feet away.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

Well, you know, Blue Lives and all. They gotta make it home safe.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BigDave posted:

Standard NYPD Qual.
They failed, because they at least hit the untended target.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LingcodKilla posted:

Man he’s always trying to one up himself being a piece of poo poo.

I'll give him credit. He's actually very good at it because he almost invariably succeeds.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They'll walk

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is...is it illegal to open carry a gun in a car?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Fallom posted:

Only if you’re darker than caucasian

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fallom posted:

Yes, but what's your point?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Yes, but what's your point?

I'm wondering if the cops could even come up with an excuse for why they were there in the first place besides "Hey, want to do a kill?"

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Fallom posted:

I'm wondering if the cops could even come up with an excuse for why they were there in the first place besides "Hey, want to do a kill?"

They were called by an employee of the business.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Please take note America, the nz police managed to take down a guy who wasted 50 people without riddling him full of holes.

He did catch a rifle butt to the jaw tho.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fallom posted:

From the video it looked like Taco Bell called because he fell asleep with his car in their drive thru. I'm not sure why no one from Taco Bell just went out and knocked on his window.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fallom posted:

"there" as in why they chose to become cops?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chichevache posted:

From the video it looked like Taco Bell called because he fell asleep with his car in their drive thru. I'm not sure why no one from Taco Bell just went out and knocked on his window.

Yes, me, the fuckin dude getting $8.95 an hour, is going to approach a man acting bizarre with a gun in his lap.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Wasabi the J posted:

Yes, me, the fuckin dude getting $8.95 an hour, is going to approach a man acting bizarre with a gun in his lap.

So now Taco Bell is on the hook for acting in a way that would forseeably lead to a customer's death.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Wasabi the J posted:

Did you watch the video? They played the 911 call. Taco Bell dude didn't say "hey, there's a man acting bizarre with a gun in his lap". He said, "hey, I don't know what's going on but I think a dude fell asleep in our drive thru". Approaching the car to find out if the man is sleeping or having a medical emergency isn't something you really need SWAT for. Hell, people getting stoned and passing out in Taco Bell drive thrus is probably a nightly occurrence.

joat mon posted:

So now Taco Bell is on the hook for acting in a way that would forseeably lead to a customer's death.

I thought thread consensus was that any time you call the cops it would foreseeable lead to someone's death.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Banging 10$ worth of H and passing out in the Taco Bell drive thru was like, Tuesday in Baltimore, and they didn't seem to treat the dude as an E Type.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1111743745303576576

Ah well, you know, no one's perfect

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Please take note America, the nz police managed to take down a guy who wasted 50 people without riddling him full of holes.

He did catch a rifle butt to the jaw tho.

I mean youre assuming most police in america didnt join up to get to shoot at people or just for the powertrip from knowing they can gently caress with you all sorts of ways legally without shooting you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really funny that the only lesson we learned from Vietnam was how to keep the American public from being too angry about our forever wars.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Watching the video all the way through is a good idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9eZ4lGz2A&t=333s

The whole situation was lovely. The guy was out of it from something, whether it was an illegal substance or he was just exhausted. That's no reason to kill him, mind you, just a factor to consider, and a factor that contributed to his death. But he was out of it from whatever, probably woke up groggy and was probably unable to hear or understand the officers' commands to put his hands up, and either reflexively reached for his gun on his lap because he was confused or scared, or he could have been reaching to scratch his balls and the gun was just simply in the same direction. Doesn't matter, the cops aren't mind readers, and they aren't paid to be mind readers. What they're judged on is what would a reasonable officer do in that situation, with an unresponsive subject, who suddenly wakes up, doesn't comply with commands, and reaches for a gun. What, would you wait until he pointed it at you or a fellow officer? Would you? Then you have more faith in humanity than I do. Whether or not he meant to reach for the gun or did it out of instinct or reflex, and whether or not he was going to shoot the cops is not a factor, because we will unfortunately never know that. The question is, what would a reasonable person do in that situation given the facts known to the officers at the time. It's real loving easy to Monday morning quarterback every officer involved shooting. There are many in recent history that were unjustified shoots, but, more often than not, they are justifiable legally, and justifiable given the facts known to the officers at the time. The dude wakes up at 6:47, and is given repeated commands to put his hands up from 6:47 to 6:50. The fact is that the officers start shooting at 6:50 and the last shot was taken at 6:54. That's 4 seconds. They then cease fire. Also, the whole "oh man 26 bullets they're a firing execution squad" is bullshit. Each officer fired his weapon and shot an average of 4 rounds. Officers are trained to shoot to stop the threat. They also may not be that well trained, depending on the department. You see sympathetic or "contagious shooting" happen in a lot of officer involved shootings, which is a BIG issue that needs to be addressed. The fact that they stopped after an average of 4 rounds is pretty good, when you consider the NYPD opened up and shot that guy who was holding a wallet 47 loving times. So at least we're getting better? :smith:

The whole situation is lovely. The dude didn't deserve to die just because he had a gun in his lap, but poo poo happens. He reached for it, whether consciously or not, sober or not. I know I'm groggy as gently caress the first few seconds when I wake up even when I'm stone cold sober. I can't actually blame him for reaching for it. Then again, it was the guy's decision to have a gun visible in his lap. It's unfortunate that he woke up when he did, because they were going to break the window and snatch him out of the car. The car wasn't even in park, it was in drive - that's how hosed up he was, or how tired he was. It's unfortunate that he had the gun in his loving lap, because the entire thing would have gone down differently had he had the gun somewhere else in the car, or even concealed on his person.

Unfortunately, most police department's budgets are poo poo, and their academy has to cover all kinds of topics, not just deadly force encounters. Mandatory in-service training requirements vary by state. There is only so much money in a department's budget for time on the range, and many smaller departments simply don't have the budget to conduct force-on-force exercises annually. It costs money to rent the facilities, buy the simmunitions, hire the instructors, and have guys off the streets for the day/week of training. Many state departments of public safety or municipal police training councils, or whoever is in charge of accrediting police agencies in that state, run free or low cost training that is available to every officer in that state, but those training slots fill up fast. The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) offers courses that are free of charge as well, but again, those slots fill up quickly, and many departments can only send so many officers at a time, and you have to add the cost of air-fare, per diem, and lodging, unless the officers are paying for those out of pocket.

It's a lovely situation, and one that leads to situations in which deadly force is used when less-lethal options could have been used.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 30, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That's a whole lot of words. Let me sum it up in three: cops hosed up.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

A Bad Poster posted:

That's a whole lot of words. Let me sum it up in three four: all cops hosed up are bastards.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

It's really funny that the only lesson we learned from Vietnam was how to keep the American public from being too angry about our forever wars.

the last 20 years of our foreign policy has been driven by boomers need to avenge Vietnam

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the last 20 years of our foreign policy has been driven by boomers need to avenge Vietnam

Mostly by chickenhawks who didn't even serve.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Mostly by chickenhawks who didn't even serve.

hilariously the few Vietnam vets I know absolutely forbid their children and grandchildren from joining, but are gung ho as gently caress about other people fighting the wars now.

the lesson we took from Vietnam was "find other people to do the fighting"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

tl;dr: - Cops deliberately and/or ignorantly put themselves in a situation where any movement by the sleeping person they proceed to wake up could be seen as dangerous, then are justified in responding to a dangerous situation they ~mysteriously~ found themselves in. No one faces any meaningful consequences except the guy who got shot 26 times.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

hilariously the few Vietnam vets I know absolutely forbid their children and grandchildren from joining, but are gung ho as gently caress about other people fighting the wars now.

the lesson we took from Vietnam was "find other people to do the fighting"

Pretty sure people are learning that lesson from this forever war too. I know I will try to dissuade my kids from joining for drat sure.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

tl;dr: - Cops deliberately and/or ignorantly put themselves in a situation where any movement by the sleeping person they proceed to wake up could be seen as dangerous, then are justified in responding to a dangerous situation they ~mysteriously~ found themselves in. No one faces any meaningful consequences except the guy who got shot 26 times.

So the other option was... what? Serious question.

1. Stay back and wait for him to wake up?
2. Stay back and put up a perimeter where they wait for him to wake up? Spending possibly hours waiting?
3. Go over the loudspeaker and wake him up and give the guy with a gun on his lap a chance to grab it and use it against the officers immediately, or grab it and get out of the car, and then possibly use it against the officers then?

What would you have done?

Also, I am pretty sure they didnt attempt to wake him up. The point officer's plan was to get into the car and snatch him.

Not to Monday morning quarterback, myself, but I think, if the guy didnt wake up, ideally, they'd have 1 or two guys with a gun on him from the front, a guy bashing the window with a baton, and maybe a guy with a taser there ready to tase him, and MAYBE they would've had a chance to get him before he woke up and reached for the gun. That's real iffy. There really was no good solution to the problem. At all.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 30, 2019

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

BigDave posted:

Chicago Tribune got access to case files through a record request:

Link to the documents:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-jussie-smollett-chicago-police-case-file-20190327-htmlstory.html

These documents show a pretty clear picture of how the Osundairo brothers bought supplies used in the attack with funds given to them by Smollett directly.

You're right, I shouldn't speculate on his motives, but the evidence gathered speaks for itself.

Phone posting. I've read the reports. Lemme list out the red flags I found or a synopsis to confirm I'm reading this right.

First document by Det. Vogenhaler IUCR 0440: Reclassifying the investigation from regular degular hate crime to A False Statement

Second doc by Set Hager: no video from that business they visited on 1414 N Wells st. They got video from the garage that pointed to a taxi. That taxi presence was confirmed by taxi company

Third doc by Vogenthaler: pages 2 and 4 are missing. Based on the format of the other documents, Is guess that page 2 is a description of the 2 folks being described in page 5 and 6. The narrative describes how ~after something~
two individuals were asking and allowed to go home from a note stay paid for by the cops. Detective whoever drove past their residence while some other detective was taking them out to BBQ pizza. The two individuals were allowed to call or contact their family. Then they were put in a hotel from 15 Feb to 21 feb. Paid for by the police.

Forth doc written by Hagen: pages 2 4 and 6 missing: Hagen details out a laundry list of video files from the store. Purchased items: knit cap, face mask, red hat, and sunglasses. Same purchaser gets his car stuck in the snow and a nice person helps push their car out. R/D (i don't know what that means, but it is a person) says the hat they had in evidence inventory was different from the one the observed sold. Cashier confirms she sold the items, cannot remember what they looked like beyond " it was 2 or 3 male blacks".

Forth doc written by Hagan: the two detectives go to a XPlanet fitness and grab the tags and bin from Jussies car. The cops gained access from a leading agent who would get fired for letting cops into the parking lot.

===============================

That's the first 22 page thing. There's another 39 page thingy. I'll read it when I wake up. But man, this shot is curcumstantial as duck and Hagan gets all the video watching duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bored As gently caress posted:

So the other option was... what? Serious question.

1. Stay back and wait for him to wake up?
2. Stay back and put up a perimeter where they wait for him to wake up? Spending possibly hours waiting?
3. Go over the loudspeaker and wake him up and give the guy with a gun on his lap a chance to grab it and use it against the officers immediately, or grab it and get out of the car, and then possibly use it against the officers then?

What would you have done?

Also, I am pretty sure they didnt attempt to wake him up. The point officer's plan was to get into the car and snatch him.

Not to Monday morning quarterback, myself, but I think, if the guy didnt wake up, ideally, they'd have 1 or two guys with a gun on him from the front, a guy bashing the window with a baton, and maybe a guy with a taser there ready to tase him, and MAYBE they would've had a chance to get him before he woke up and reached for the gun. That's real iffy. There really was no good solution to the problem. At all.

Have one cop tap on the window from behind the driver's seat, or anything else that keeps them out of direct danger while giving the sleeping driver a few moments to figure out his surroundings? You're right, we're not here to monday morning quarterback, but regardless of specific details there's a general abdication of responsibility where police escalate a situation and are then only judged on acting in "reasonable" self-defense from the very situation they created.