Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

crazystray posted:

Does this Looncurse teaser that looks like maybe Gloomspite vs Sylvaneth mean they might be done with all Stormcast all the time in the box sets or do you think it is a one off? Either way, I am interested.

It's probably a one-off like Plague War or Forgebane, but they tend to feature new models in them, so essentially this might be a mini update for Sylvaneth and we'll get a new battletome off the back of it a la Carrion Empire. That's where the safe bet is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

This will give you exactly the right number of Evocators in fact. As the leader is a Knight Incantor.

:monocle:

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

The Deleter posted:

It's probably a one-off like Plague War or Forgebane, but they tend to feature new models in them, so essentially this might be a mini update for Sylvaneth and we'll get a new battletome off the back of it a la Carrion Empire. That's where the safe bet is.

A one-off box like that and a new tome would be pretty much ideal for my beginning collection of AoS models.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Dr Snofeld posted:

Is eBaying half of the Soul Wars set the way to go for a new Stormcast army, or are the Start Collecting boxes good?

On the off chance that you are interested in the stormcast half of the 1.0 starter set (now the Thunderstrike Brotherhood), shoot me an email. I have an unopened set that I would let go at a good discount. I have the Khorne guys too if anyone else is interested.

bdwilson925 at gmail

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 28, 2019

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
My first ever Age of Sigmar skirmish game ended with a victory over my friend's Nurgle team.

My Guys posted:

Allegiance: Order
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Trait: Gifted Commander
- Artefact: Blessed Amulet (Skirmish Artefact)
2 x Castigators (52)
- 1 Champion or Upgrades
2 x Sequitors (48)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 1 Champion or Upgrades

Total: 250 / 250
Wounds: 13

His Guys posted:

Allegiance: Chaos
Sorcerer (120)
- General
- Trait: Inspirational
- Artefact: Blessed Amulet (Skirmish Artefact)
4 x Putrid Blightkings (128)

Total: 248 / 250
Wounds: 22

The Sequitors bit it quite early on, but the Castigators did some good damage, and were able to hit the sorcerer hiding behind a bush. The thread was right about the Knight-Incantor being super strong, though. My opponent wasn't expecting him to be so good in melee combat, and I got a couple of casts of his big spell off too.

Match ended with my Knight-Incantor and Castigator in melee with his Sorcerer; with barely concealed glee, I had my general break two soul flask things, killing his Sorcerer and my Castigator and leaving my general with 1 wound.

I made a start on painting my guys as well. Sloppy at the moment due to bad lighting and my hand tremors, but I'm happy with the colour scheme I've picked out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Deleter posted:

40K thread speculates this is an airbrush of some sort, since Citadel has a range of airbrush paints but only had a (bad) airbrush once, a long time ago.

My guess is they are going to stop shipping anything in grey plastic, and have everything come in colored plastic. It feels like they are halfway there already.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Chainclaw posted:

My guess is they are going to stop shipping anything in grey plastic, and have everything come in colored plastic. It feels like they are halfway there already.

In the FB comments, they clarified that it's not colored plastic, it's "something to help you paint your grey models."

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So im trying out something for my boigrot bounders. Fluff is they, are expert squig riders and , as such , deserve the hottest, most exotic squigs to ride. So im painting these "exotic" squigs.

This is my first one. Im thinking different color Zebra stripes an cheeta print.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 31, 2019

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Where is that bomb rear end helmet from? I dont remember it being inthe squig hopper kit.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Chance II posted:

Where is that bomb rear end helmet from? I dont remember it being inthe squig hopper kit.

It's in the box. You can see it on the guy in the back on my pic

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 31, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, happily you can make Bounderz or just regular Hoppers from the same kit.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I really like the helmets theve been making for gobbos and would deck out my stabbas and shootas if they had the option

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I love that they went full Jim Henson on the goblin armor.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Desfore posted:

In the FB comments, they clarified that it's not colored plastic, it's "something to help you paint your grey models."

That was in response to my guess!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Going back a bit but

Asmodai_00 posted:

If you're wanting to do a full blown Stormcast army, there are worse things you can do than the Soul Wars half. It's got a couple of sticking points though:

1) The unit sizes for the Sequitors and the Evocators is not a full unit. They come in a unit of 8 and 3 in the box, but are bought in blocks of 5 in the actual game. You can fix this with the Sequitors by buying the standalone "Easy to Build Sequitors" boxed set, which will give you 11. Evocators are harder since they don't have an Easy to Build box, but you could buy the Underworlds warband to fill out that unit too (and give you some cool models).

This is what I ended up going with, and got a pretty good deal on eBay for the Soul Wars part. Combined with what I already have I get exactly 1000 points, and I have ideas in mind further down the line (much further) for expanding to 1500 points.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

My first ever Age of Sigmar skirmish game ended with a victory over my friend's Nurgle team.

The Sequitors bit it quite early on, but the Castigators did some good damage, and were able to hit the sorcerer hiding behind a bush. The thread was right about the Knight-Incantor being super strong, though. My opponent wasn't expecting him to be so good in melee combat, and I got a couple of casts of his big spell off too.

Match ended with my Knight-Incantor and Castigator in melee with his Sorcerer; with barely concealed glee, I had my general break two soul flask things, killing his Sorcerer and my Castigator and leaving my general with 1 wound.

I made a start on painting my guys as well. Sloppy at the moment due to bad lighting and my hand tremors, but I'm happy with the colour scheme I've picked out.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Going back a bit but

This is what I ended up going with, and got a pretty good deal on eBay for the Soul Wars part. Combined with what I already have I get exactly 1000 points, and I have ideas in mind further down the line (much further) for expanding to 1500 points.

:yeah:

Glad its all working out. My regular opponent plays Stormcast, so feel free to give a shout when/if you have more questions.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
2000 points of Ironjawz painting begins with these ladz.

I've got a long, blindingly pink road ahead of me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

seigfox posted:

:perfect:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

seigfox posted:

Very nice.

Personally I would have painted the rims black, but I also wouldn't have gone for hot pink Ironjawz so eh.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

seigfox posted:

That's loving beautiful. I'd have gone for a splash of black here and there for contrast but this looks really good!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

seigfox posted:

Please tell me which pinks you are using because I desperately need them in my life.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

I’m thinking the rest of the army will be black-based because... yeah it’s a bit much.

SteelMentor posted:

Please tell me which pinks you are using because I desperately need them in my life.

Vallejo “Squid Pink” and “Warlord Purple” (and mixes thereof) with red wash.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

seigfox posted:

I’m thinking the rest of the army will be black-based because... yeah it’s a bit much.

The colours lovely and an unusual choice - but making the rims the same colour makes them look more like boardgame pieces than an army and sort of mutes the striking look you're going for. IMO.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Goblin Green bases

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I second the vote for splashes of black to have a Hart Foundation Waaaaaagh

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The greyer skin works so well with the pink too!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those Pepto Bismorks kick rear end, but I agree black bases would probably help the rest of the models pop. Love the rainbow Gurzag cloak, too. drat. Those blue eyes are very subtle but a nice contrast, too!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A friend of mine lured me into playing AoS. He offered me a box of Orruk Brutes, knowing I like painting stuffs (not just minis, usually scale models). Now I bought the two "Start Collecting" boxes and I have a little army of my own.

But I seem to lack some (or any) kind of ranged attack options. I saw that there are some Ork archers but I don't like the idea. I'd like to go the "gently caress subtlety" route for my army and I'm looking for big dudes hurling big rocks. More artillery than archery, in other words.

Do I have any options for this?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure what the full extent of your options are, like if you splash in other Destruction armies, but from the Ironjawz battle tome specifically you're quite limited for ranged options:

Gordrak / Megaboss' mount have an 8" Innard-Bursting Bellow, and the Weirdnob Shaman has a 2D6" range spell and an 18" spell. Other than that, the on-foot Megaboss, Warchanter, Brutes, Gore-Gruntas and Ardboys are all strictly melee.

But yea you should be able to splash in some Bonesplitters and pick up some Arrowboys or something. I don't know, I'm still quite new to AoS :)

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Furism posted:

A friend of mine lured me into playing AoS. He offered me a box of Orruk Brutes, knowing I like painting stuffs (not just minis, usually scale models). Now I bought the two "Start Collecting" boxes and I have a little army of my own.

But I seem to lack some (or any) kind of ranged attack options. I saw that there are some Ork archers but I don't like the idea. I'd like to go the "gently caress subtlety" route for my army and I'm looking for big dudes hurling big rocks. More artillery than archery, in other words.

Do I have any options for this?

If you're feeling adventurous, you could take an Aleguzzler Gargant model and convert him into holding a giant rock. Surround him with 3 grots with sticks to 'encourage' him to throw them and you've got a Grot Rock Lobba.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Orcs are not known for their ranged options. I believe you can find various Goblin options - the Doom Diver might still be around. Your best bet is to ally in a Ogre Ironblaster and replace the Ogre motifs with any Orc bits you have spare. It's a weird gun that's hard to hit with and has an insanely swingy damage value, but would fit in perfectly in terms of aesthetic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Being an Ironjawz player, we just kinda do without. Since we're deceptively speedy often there's not a lot of time for the other guy to shoot at my guys.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Oh yeah I don't mind mixing other Destruction units, don't have to stick to Ironjawz/Orruks.

Welp I guess I'll just charge. The Shaman is not too bad but I found that it's hard to actually cast the spells, I seem to keep missing the dice checks.

Edit: Would the Rockgut Troggoths? I see that they have a 12" ranged attack where they pick up rocks.

Furism fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 2, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dawgstar posted:

Being an Ironjawz player, we just kinda do without. Since we're deceptively speedy often there's not a lot of time for the other guy to shoot at my guys.

Can you share your go-to tactic, if there's any? Like I said, all I have for units are the two "Start Collecting" boxes, an extra box of Brutes and a Mega-Boss. My friend plays Stormcasts so that's the only army I'm facing for now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Furism posted:

Welp I guess I'll just charge.

:black101: the correct answer

e; The Start Collecting box comes with 3x Gore-Gruntas right? So you've got 2 min-strength units of those; if you pick up a third unit of Gore-Gruntas then you can run them as a Gorefist Battalion.

This lets you make a free 15" move during your Hero Phase on your first turn, then you can still move normally during the actual Movement Phase. So you can move 24" and then Charge which is pretty good.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 2, 2019

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Furism posted:

Can you share your go-to tactic, if there's any? Like I said, all I have for units are the two "Start Collecting" boxes, an extra box of Brutes and a Mega-Boss. My friend plays Stormcasts so that's the only army I'm facing for now.

A combination of the "Ironfist" battalion movement ability and a bringing in a set of Chronomantic Cogs is usually enough to get you into range for a charge (at +3 with the cogs out!)

If you're feeling cheeky and you're made of money you could also field 24+ pigs in a Gorefist with a Krusha to lead them.

In either case I bring one or two of the Fungoid Cave Shaman grots to generate CP since that's where a big chunk of your damage is coming from.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

seigfox posted:

A combination of the "Ironfist" battalion movement ability and a bringing in a set of Chronomantic Cogs is usually enough to get you into range for a charge (at +3 with the cogs out!)

Yeah, the usefulness of the Ironfist can't be overstated. I hate to call anything mandatory, but it kinda is.

Brute Boss with the klaw/smasha combo becomes really scary to monsters and heroes with the right buffs, like from your Warchanter and your Megaboss on foot.

If you want to be super sassy you can take the Ironfist and Ironsuz battalions (hoping for the Ironsunz' -1 to the opponent's hit rolls to go off on a 3+). Let your opponent go first with (again hopefully) a -1 to hit, then move in and pray to Gorkamorka for the double turn. It does require a Megaboss on Maw-Krusha but take heart because pound for pound it's one of the best Behemoths in the game.* It's also a one-drop army since everything's in the Ironsunz battalion.

*Honestly you should get a Maw-Krusha anyway. They are amazing and bounding across the board murdering most small units.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 2, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sab669 posted:

:black101: the correct answer

e; The Start Collecting box comes with 3x Gore-Gruntas right? So you've got 2 min-strength units of those; if you pick up a third unit of Gore-Gruntas then you can run them as a Gorefist Battalion.

This lets you make a free 15" move during your Hero Phase on your first turn, then you can still move normally during the actual Movement Phase. So you can move 24" and then Charge which is pretty good.

Though in all honesty if you’re going to get more gore gruntas just get another start collecting box. On Amazon a box of three gruntas is $71 while the SC box is $80.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Though in all honesty if you’re going to get more gore gruntas just get another start collecting box. On Amazon a box of three gruntas is $71 while the SC box is $80.

Yeah, and you'll probably want a second Warchanter anyway. And more 'Ardboyz never hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, I didn't even look at pricing. I just meant like, "Well you're 2/3 of the way there to a neat Battalion, may as well go whole-hog (:haw:) with it"