Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

PT6A posted:

It's especially ridiculous, because the alternate universe story goes like this:

Normal Husband: Hey, I know you want to talk, could this possibly wait until after the basketball game I'm watching, honey?
Normal Wife: Sure.

And then the next person who goes to the fridge for whatever reason can grab a beer.

It would have required next to no effort for the man to not be a complete raving rear end in a top hat, but even that was too much.

It's even possible it went down like that and then she decided to play it another way to write some Serena Joy rear end tweet trying to get women to act like slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1112360127825395712

this story is still in its infancy, and there are a whole lot of unknowns because we haven't seen evidence of any of the claims, but i think it got less attention yesterday than it should've

Bezos' security people argue that AMI didn't just pay off his girlfriend's brother, Sanchez, to steal his texts, but rather that they originally found out about his girlfriend from Saudi-backed hacking of Bezos' phone and have been trying to cover it up by making Sanchez the fall guy.

the richest man in the world setting out to prove MBS hacked him because of the WaPo's coverage of KSA is.. a very big story

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I thought it was weird that I haven't heard anything about that lately.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1112360127825395712

this story is still in its infancy, and there are a whole lot of unknowns because we haven't seen evidence of any of the claims, but i think it got less attention yesterday than it should've

Bezos' security people argue that AMI didn't just pay off his girlfriend's brother, Sanchez, to steal his texts, but rather that they originally found out about his girlfriend from Saudi-backed hacking of Bezos' phone and have been trying to cover it up by making Sanchez the fall guy.

the richest man in the world setting out to prove MBS hacked him because of the WaPo's coverage of KSA is.. a very big story

Considering MBS, I wouldn't be surprised.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Archonex posted:

Keep reading the replies to Mussolini's...I want to say, grand daughter? Everyone just loving dunks on her for defending a literal fascist (while in office in a parliament no less!) and she is just too loving thick to realize that she's damaging her career and defending the legacy of a monster. For bonus points read the stuff that's in italian. There is not a single loving tweet saying "Okay, this is acceptable."from other people in that entire back and forth.

Also, I know Jim Carrey has had some bad moments in the past but it seems like he's turned a corner and then some. That was loving savage. That he hooked in the descendant of an actual, no poo poo, pro-genocidal fascist that's in office and made an rear end of herself publicly is just icing on the cake.

I see you are unfamiliar with Alessandra Mussolini.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/svdate/status/1112145492916473856

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
You'd think someone that involved with technology would know that cell phones aren't very secure and to not keep poo poo like that one them, but then again billionaires are usually morons.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CubanMissile posted:

You'd think someone that involved with technology would know that cell phones aren't very secure and to not keep poo poo like that one them, but then again billionaires are usually morons.

There has never been any evidence that Amazon knows dick about phones

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Considering how desperate Saudi Arabia is to modernize their economy, Bezos could offer HQ3 in Riyadh in exchange for MBS's head and the King might do it.

TheScott2K posted:

There has never been any evidence that Amazon knows dick about phones

The Amazon Fire phone was Bezos' pet product so that statement checks out.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Archonex posted:

Keep reading the replies to Mussolini's...I want to say, grand daughter? Everyone just loving dunks on her for defending a literal fascist (while in office in a parliament no less!) and she is just too loving thick to realize that she's damaging her career and defending the legacy of a monster. For bonus points read the stuff that's in italian. There is not a single loving tweet saying "Okay, this is acceptable."from other people in that entire back and forth.

Also, I know Jim Carrey has had some bad moments in the past but it seems like he's turned a corner and then some. That was loving savage. That he hooked in the descendant of an actual, no poo poo, pro-genocidal fascist that's in office and made an rear end of herself publicly is just icing on the cake.

She's unironically going full whataboutism since everyone is dunking on her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mango sentinel posted:

Enlighten us, please. From the outside Italian politics looks like an ongoing civil war full of Game of Thrones backstabbery and I want it confirmed.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1112369508453367808

What if, indeed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Enlighten us, please. From the outside Italian politics looks like an ongoing civil war full of Game of Thrones backstabbery and I want it confirmed.

I'm not an expert on Italian politics, but: she's an unabashed defender of her grandfather at every turn and my understanding of her politics is "socially liberal ethnofascist." Her fascist leanings are nothing new to Italian voters and is in line with the rest of her public life, not some shock that will damage her political career.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1112336647964815360

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Apparantly unpopular opinion but if someone is watching television or otherwise consuming media it can be rude to strike up a conversation with someone clearly engrossed.

Gay people are human beings and deserve love and equality though so Denise and I are at an impasse.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CubanMissile posted:

There’s no cure for horny

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

We were in the Robocop universe but the timeline diverged when the not-yet-megacorp that would become OCP went bankrupt in 2008.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Apparantly unpopular opinion but if someone is watching television or otherwise consuming media it can be rude to strike up a conversation with someone clearly engrossed.

I feel like that's not the part people are objecting to, so much as the overall context of what she wrote.:chloe:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

He's still a New Age Antivaccine nutcase

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

CommieGIR posted:

He's still a New Age Antivaccine nutcase

He's backed off on that a bit, IIRC, since he broke up with possible dumbest person alive Jenny McCarthy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phobic Nest posted:

We were in the Robocop universe but the timeline diverged when the not-yet-megacorp that would become OCP went bankrupt in 2008.

i like how the WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE bits in starship troopers are maybe a bit too toned down.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like how the WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE bits in starship troopers are maybe a bit too toned down.

...wait a minute...

...do you think Paul Verhoeven could be...God?:aaa:

It would explain a few things.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Considering MBS, I wouldn't be surprised.

On Chapo they said KSA is an entire country run buy Don Jr.'s and Jared Kushners.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Gay people are human beings and deserve love and equality though so Denise and I are at an impasse.

A basketball game isn't really the same as an episode of a TV show where missing one line of dialogue can possibly be a big deal. You can half-watch a basketball game and talk to someone for a few minutes just fine, unless you're a performatively-macho toddler, I suppose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus if something really awesome happens they'll replay it in slow motion a few times anyway. Or you can do that yourself with your DVR and catch up at the next commercial break.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean we don't have live executions on TV...yet.

I'm glad that movie exists and I'm glad Verhoven took one look at the book went "this is fascist apologia and I should loving know because I nearly got exploded by Nazis" and set out to make a satirical bent on what a military-run "democracy" would look like. It's just a shame it's maybe a bit too good of a satire.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 31, 2019

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm hearing the echo in her studio and I'm now 90% sure her mic actually isn't connected and they just use the onboard mic on a camera.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

...wait a minute...

...do you think Paul Verhoeven could be...God?:aaa:

It would explain a few things.

Let's see here

Glorified sexual violence, check
Biting social satirization though the lens of that glorification, check.
Sci-fi-esque dystopian setting. Check.

Welp, were pretty much hosed guys.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let's see here

Glorified sexual violence, check
Biting social satirization though the lens of that glorification, check.
Sci-fi-esque dystopian setting. Check.

Welp, were pretty much hosed guys.

Truly bizarre grotesquery of an 80's/early-90's supervillain in control of everything, check.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Truly bizarre grotesquery of an 80's/early-90's supervillain in control of everything, check.

Corporate profits and consumerism above public service and safety, check.

Violent, lethal anti-theft devices?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

Check!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean we don't have live executions on TV...yet.

I'm glad that movie exists and I'm glad Verhoven took one look at the book went "this is fascist apologia and I should loving know because I nearly got exploded by Nazis" and set out to make a satirical bent on what a military-run "democracy" would look like. It's just a shame it's maybe a bit too good of a satire.

the movie came out a bit too early. it's a perfect satire of post-9/11 america.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lycus posted:

Tell me that's a 'shop.

Fox news, of course it isn't

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

She'll be able to get her husband much more beer now i guess.

I'll never get tired of this joke as it allows me to poo poo on Meghan McCain and whomever the butt of the joke is.

https://twitter.com/12MBerry/status/1112219513989140480
I did not realize until after McAllister's Twitter meltdown that
a) She is THE DENISE of that statement, because she wrote a takedown of The View for the Federalist
b) She was at McCain's wedding because Meaghan McCain is married to Denise's boss, the co-founder/EiC of the Federalist
c) He formed the Federalist in part because he got fired from every legitimate/pseudo-legitimate journalistic outlet that hired him as a wunderkind conservative due to a frothy mix of plagiarism, lying, and being a non-disclosed paid agent of other countries writing about said counties

So really the entire thing is an ouroboros of shitheads. I don't know who McAllister's husband is but he's clearly a champ too.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I'm sorry honey, your granddad was a raving rear end in a top hat fascist and a moron to boot.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Majorian posted:

The satirical moral being lost on the people it was originally satirizing. Check

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah. The idea that anyone would permit a recent descendant of a genocidal fascist to be in political power is a bit mind boggling all by itself actually. Especially when they're literally quoting nazi apologia verbatim. Which I think is still a crime in Italy?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Phobic Nest posted:

I dunno, this feels more Starship Troopers as Robocop was anchored in some sort of reality

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nemo Somen posted:

I think at this point, most people have already decided what they think of Trump and Barr's memo changes nothing. If someone hates Trump, they probably have other reasons to hate him, and if someone loves Trump, they'd probably either ignore the memo if it was bad or things would remain the same as before. The only thing the memo does for some people is justify voting for Trump but those seeking vindication would have probably voted Trump anyway.

I wonder too, the media hasn't covered the Barr letter perfectly but they keep reiterating that this isn't an exoneration. I wonder if that message is penetrating. Even if it isn't acting like a mob boss publicly, even if you are innocent, is not a great way to get people to support you.

But mostly yah given who Trump is and what he says forces you to pick a side but he has no savvy so it mostly sides people against him.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

I dunno, this feels more Starship Troopers as Robocop was anchored in some sort of reality

Not sure what I would pick if I had to choose. Probably RoboCop, but I'm much more familiar with ST so I know how bad that one gets.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alessandra Mussolini is also Sophia Loren’s niece :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not sure what I would pick if I had to choose. Probably RoboCop, but I'm much more familiar with ST so I know how bad that one gets.

Well, Robocop takes place in Detroit under a crime epidemic during a time when real Detroit was under a crime epidemic and people were searching for an answer, any answer. Robocop also had to follow law and rules, and felt some emotion as to who he was and people around him.

Starship Troopers is really none of that with the only emotion being "My friend and/or fuckbuddy is gone, kill everything"