Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Either that, or it'd be a terrible design like Shadow Sae was.

I'm revoking your opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

You feel tired. Sleep through the next story rehash?

-Yes.
-Give me the quick version.
-Time to button mash.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

NachtSieger posted:

I'm revoking your opinions

Okay, but consider what Woolie says here: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av17957437/ (had to link to this version, since it seems like the original was deleted or something.)

Alternatively, listen to the full version from the podcast here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d7Qo023IZs&t=3698s (Portion runs from 1:01:38 to 1:03:45, if timecode link doesn't work)

Really, it's just because that eyeliner looks terrible.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 24, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Max Wilco posted:

Really, it's just because that eyeliner looks terrible.

Agreed; it's like she was aiming for "sexy goth" and overshot it and landed in "KISS Army soldier" territory instead.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I can't tell if I'm supposed to be disappointed or excited about R so mostly I'm just confused that they won't tell you what it actually is

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I can't tell if I'm supposed to be disappointed or excited about R so mostly I'm just confused that they won't tell you what it actually is

Harlock posted:

Atlus does love to do announcements of announcements though.

TVs Ian posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1109437019183304706

Assuming it's accurate, this doesn't sound like main character dialog. Unless it's a totally different path from the main game anyway.
It's not necessarily dialogue from the game though.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2019

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
I'm hoping she's a new party member instead of a new confidant or Alt MC.
Also here's hoping for potential story twists with new endings+new confidents(HINT HINT SAE *COUGH*).
Overall going to buy this anyways. :toot:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

chaosapiant posted:

I just typed out a post asking what people would think if P6 went more "open world" and then decided Persona doesn't need open world because it's Persona and I cancelled my post. Then I came back to type this just to see what others thought.

I think it could work but yeah it would be a gamble. They're already semi-open world as it is.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Waterfall Watcher posted:

While I completely agree that people here are being too focused on her being either a new social link (pfft to this newfangled "confidant" language) or Alt MC, it's also true she doesn't have to be a new party member either.

There's a fourth important-role possibility: antagonist. I'm sure I remember people on here (understandably) complaining that they found Akechi a better antagonist when he apparently just had the courage of his anti-Phantom-Thieves convictions instead of when that was only a facade for his pretty contrived real motivations. As an antagonist she would be the simple, initial version of that, the genuine article.

I admit I'm a bit skeptical this is what she will be, but only for a sad reason. It would be great to see the protagonists go up against a relentless foe they can't convert, can't turn into the authorities, and clearly wouldn't allow themselves to kill. But how would the writers resolve this in the end? Great writers--I don't mean me, since I'm not sure how I'd resolve it well--could do it I bet. P5's writers...

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

Onomarchus posted:

There's a fourth important-role possibility: antagonist. I'm sure I remember people on here (understandably) complaining that they found Akechi a better antagonist when he apparently just had the courage of his anti-Phantom-Thieves convictions instead of when that was only a facade for his pretty contrived real motivations. As an antagonist she would be the simple, initial version of that, the genuine article.

Ultimate fifth possibility: Antag/Party member. MC come across a choice to choose her and disband/sell-out the phantom thieves to join forces with her to take the evil antag with whoever would trust the MC that sold out his gang. :3:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Onomarchus posted:

While I completely agree that people here are being too focused on her being either a new social link (pfft to this newfangled "confidant" language) or Alt MC, it's also true she doesn't have to be a new party member either.

I admit I'm a bit skeptical this is what she will be, but only for a sad reason. It would be great to see the protagonists go up against a relentless foe they can't convert, can't turn into the authorities, and clearly wouldn't allow themselves to kill. But how would the writers resolve this in the end? Great writers--I don't mean me, since I'm not sure how I'd resolve it well--could do it I bet. P5's writers...

This is a neat idea actually. If they do go this route then I just hope they don’t make her Akechi’s long lost sister or something that would be, uhhh, stretching it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fukkin lol

https://twitter.com/Duplighost_/status/1110948273806819328

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Let Kira say gently caress

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Also here's hoping for potential story twists with new endings+new confidents(HINT HINT SAE *COUGH*).
Overall going to buy this anyways. :toot:

The other theory I've heard is this is might be a "The Answer" type sequel plot for P5's main story.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Turns out she's just a Persona that looks like a human, like Alice

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

NG+, I'm ready to send the calling card for the sixth palace but I'm trying to remember the sequence of events cause I know there's the huge cutscene(s) coming -- is there a save point after the battle, how long do I need for this (cause I actually do want to watch most of it again)?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

NG+, I'm ready to send the calling card for the sixth palace but I'm trying to remember the sequence of events cause I know there's the huge cutscene(s) coming -- is there a save point after the battle, how long do I need for this (cause I actually do want to watch most of it again)?

There is a save point before the interrogation scene (as well as after).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Near the end of the seventh palace probably has the longest time in between saves, while also have exactly 500 boss fights

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I finally beat this game. Is it just me or is the end part of the game just a little too exhausting? I was addicted and would blow through most dungeons in a nightly playthrough but the final one just... was tiring. Either way, it was fun. Strongly considering a NG+ since I didnt beat the reaper and missed a couple mementos targets.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I finally beat this game. Is it just me or is the end part of the game just a little too exhausting?

Persona 5 absolutely has that problem where it doens't quite know where to end the game and will just keep going. Like there really didn't need to be like... 3 or 4 (I can't remember) fights against the cup. It also didn't help that the second to last palace has the worst palace mechanic in the game and they repeat it something like 5 loving times

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I know this is the P5 thread and not a P4G thread, but uh...tips for beating Mitsuo?

I can coast through the first phase, then I just get clobbered. I am lvl 48. Current party is: Chie, Yukiko, Kanji.

The way it's been working out, I use MC to Sukunda Mitsuo, Chie to buff Kanji and sometimes deal damage, Yukiko to heal and Kanji for damage.

At any rate, what I'm doing clearly isn't working worth a poo poo after the first phase. So tips? Tricks? Suggestions?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Do you have Black Frost?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Endorph posted:

Do you have Black Frost?

Negative.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black Frost is one of the earliest sources of Mind Charge, so fuse him if you don't have him, unless you already have some other source of Mind Charge. It increases the protag's damage by a ton.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don’t remember how I beat Mitsuo but I do remember it being a really annoying fight

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Black Frost takes a literal poo poo on Mitsuo. It was uncanny. First time I tried without BF I struggled and lost an annoying fight. Second with BF I was surfing on a wave of ice and power.:c00lbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think I used Teddie for that fight, he starts out with a cure for that boss' status effects IIRC.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

HaB posted:

I know this is the P5 thread and not a P4G thread, but uh...tips for beating Mitsuo?

I can coast through the first phase, then I just get clobbered. I am lvl 48. Current party is: Chie, Yukiko, Kanji.

The way it's been working out, I use MC to Sukunda Mitsuo, Chie to buff Kanji and sometimes deal damage, Yukiko to heal and Kanji for damage.

At any rate, what I'm doing clearly isn't working worth a poo poo after the first phase. So tips? Tricks? Suggestions?

Make sure you’re using Rakunda to lower his defense.

Make sure all of your personas are current! It’s easy to lose sight of that but if you haven’t fused any new personas for a while, do so.

Might try grinding up to level 50 too just for the extra bash.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

seiferguy posted:

I finally beat this game. Is it just me or is the end part of the game just a little too exhausting?

It's not just you. I been stuck on the rat puzzle on the ship for months cause it sapped my will to play.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

waah posted:

It's not just you. I been stuck on the rat puzzle on the ship for months cause it sapped my will to play.

Honestly I felt the rat puzzle wasnt too bad compared to the airlock puzzle.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Honestly I felt the rat puzzle wasnt too bad compared to the airlock puzzle.

The airlock puzzle was annoying, but the rat puzzle goes on WAY longer. It's so tedious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
persona 5's habit of trotting out every dungeon gimmick half a dozen times before they let you move on was not one of its high points

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I did the ship over two or three days because of my schedule. I was getting annoyed by the rat puzzle if only because it didn't really change. I was fine with pretty much every other dungeon gimmick though!

That said, I was really ready for the game to be over after Shido. The final mementos crawl was just a bit much after the game really hit the emotional climax beforehand.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't feel many of P5's dungeons overuse their puzzles too much, usually they'll introduce two puzzles separately, and then combine them later. The rat puzzle is just tedious because it's repeated between every single fight against the VIPs, and the only difference between each one is "This one's bigger!"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

On the first playthrough I really enjoyed the P5 dungeons, even the rat part as much as it overstayed its welcome (not least of all because of the awesome music) but honestly it is killing my enthusiasm for a new playthrough because I remember everything about them so well that I’d honestly prefer randomized dungeons in their stead just so I could breeze through them and skip the gimmicks.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah some of the later dungeons in P5 do a bad job of communicating how close you are to being done, constantly telling you "ah man we're almost there!" when you are, in fact, not almost there. At least in P4 you know that you've got 10 floors and nothing's stopping you from running through a fair portion of them as fast as possible

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Chieves posted:

I did the ship over two or three days because of my schedule. I was getting annoyed by the rat puzzle if only because it didn't really change. I was fine with pretty much every other dungeon gimmick though!

That said, I was really ready for the game to be over after Shido. The final mementos crawl was just a bit much after the game really hit the emotional climax beforehand.

I felt like the game would have been much better off ending after shido, although obviously a number of things would have to be changed in that scenario like mementos

I also think they could have shortened shido's palace by about 1/3 and it would have been better off for it. The game letting you and incentivizing you to do an entire palace in a single day meant that the thing just dragged on and on. I must have spent 5 (real) hours in there.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 31, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I hated every dungeon and wish they were randomly generated again.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The trouble with the new dungeons is that they were definitely an improvement, so the developers figured it would be fun to spend more time in them.

It was not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheesetriangles posted:

I hated every dungeon and wish they were randomly generated again.

Yeaaaaaah when I was trying to list the dungeons from best to worst I genuinely struggled to think of a dungeon that I actually liked. The one I put at the top of my list was the Museum, with the reasoning being "it wasn't too long and the puzzles weren't too tedious" whereas every other dungeon I thought was both