Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

All-rosewood necks are intensely cool to me. Just wanted to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Once I played a hundred ish year old all rosewood acoustic

it was real neat

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
What the gently caress Yngwie. Like how could you think this is a good idea? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvH1Wl6J50Y

Edit:

Honestly at this point Yngwie's best impersonator is just straight up superior to the original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjOPyAsn4M&t=192s is better neoclassical shred than anything Yngwie's done since the 80s.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 31, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/airbagged/status/1112165863929589761

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lmao

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is art.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap! :golfclap:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bill Posters posted:

Yeah, I got a gloss Allparts neck for a parts bass and the finish was sprayed right over the frets without any clean up. I thought something was seriously wrong when the frets started cracking and crumbling under the strings but it was just the lacquer coming off.

Beyond that though the frets were pretty good from the get go. Or at least, not bad enough for me to notice.

It might be common. My American std Strat with maple neck was the same way. Most of the frets were sanded down, but the parts that weren't had the lacquer on them still. No cracking noises or anything, just some crumble on the tops of the frets of the excess. As I did string bends it all got wiped away.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gnumonic posted:

What the gently caress Yngwie. Like how could you think this is a good idea? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvH1Wl6J50Y

This is one funniest things I've ever seen. That historically downtrodden population, the Ferrari convertable owner.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

Edit:

Honestly at this point Yngwie's best impersonator is just straight up superior to the original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzjOPyAsn4M&t=192s is better neoclassical shred than anything Yngwie's done since the 80s.

Stump is a great player but there's no way he can ever recreate the raw energy on the Rising Force album. Yngwie is like a parody of himself these days but you still gotta give him credit for what he's done. He's a good example of what happens when you take a sheltered Swede and give him money and power though, goes all Ayn Rand on us.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Philthy posted:

It might be common. My American std Strat with maple neck was the same way. Most of the frets were sanded down, but the parts that weren't had the lacquer on them still. No cracking noises or anything, just some crumble on the tops of the frets of the excess. As I did string bends it all got wiped away.

It's the traditonal way Fender builds them. The used to use pennies with a notch filed into them to clean the top of the fret off.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Stump is a great player but there's no way he can ever recreate the raw energy on the Rising Force album. Yngwie is like a parody of himself these days but you still gotta give him credit for what he's done. He's a good example of what happens when you take a sheltered Swede and give him money and power though, goes all Ayn Rand on us.

"Rich man's got a ferrari blues!"

I don't disagree with any of this really. Just meant that 2019 Joe Stump is (rather obviously) a far better musician and guitarist than 2019 Yngwie. I probably listen to Yngwie's 80s albums once a week. You expect people to rest on their laurels I guess, and grats to him for the Ferrarris, but Joe's actually made some effort to...improve... over the past 20 years whereas Yngwie has somehow gotten dramatically worse (at composition at least).

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

I don't disagree with any of this really. Just meant that 2019 Joe Stump is (rather obviously) a far better musician and guitarist than 2019 Yngwie. I probably listen to Yngwie's 80s albums once a week. You expect people to rest on their laurels I guess, and grats to him for the Ferrarris, but Joe's actually made some effort to...improve... over the past 20 years whereas Yngwie has somehow gotten dramatically worse (at composition at least).

Apparently Alcatrazz is reforming with Joe Stump as the Yngwie replacement. Be interesting to see if they do any new material.

Edit: Accidental double post, meant to edit not quote.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gnumonic posted:

Apparently Alcatrazz is reforming with Joe Stump as the Yngwie replacement. Be interesting to see if they do any new material.

Edit: Accidental double post, meant to edit not quote.
I saw Alcatrazz at a festival where I also saw Deicide, Voivod and Testament. They were pretty decent, too!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This was posted in my Nine Inch Nails thread, but a decade ago on April Fools Day 2009, Trent Reznor teased this joke mashup album called Strobe Light with really stupid track titles and this as the cover art:

It was never actually a real project, though.....................until now :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

https://seed9.bandcamp.com/

Now you can finally hear Everybody's Doing It (featuring Bono, Chris Martin & Jay-Z) and Pussygrinder (featuring Sheryl Crow)!!! Hahahahahaha

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I wonder if he's been working on it ever since or just thought a bit ago, "I'll make this dumb joke into a real thing."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

s.i.r.e. posted:

I wonder if he's been working on it ever since or just thought a bit ago, "I'll make this dumb joke into a real thing."
Yeah I'm wondering too. I don't think I've heard any new NIN on this thing, or at least nothing newer than The Slip which was the newest album a decade ago when this was first teased, but this tracklist is definitely longer than the one he teased a decade ago.

e: Wait, there's a How To Destroy Angels verse/chorus on Still Hurts (featuring Alicia Keys) which came out in 2013, so it's at least new-ish!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 1, 2019

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

CheesyDog posted:

I think seeing Gibson spiral towards bankruptcy while neglecting their budget lines has been good for Fender's offerings

maybe i got lucky with my epiphone but have an thunderbird pro classic that i absolutely love and cant figure out why i should ever bother to spend 1000 bucks more for the gibson version. ive played a few gibsons and theyre nice but not pay crazy gibson bucks nice.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Ritchie Blackmore firing Graham Bonnet from Rainbow because he didn't match their grubby long-haired aesthetic is definitely stupid music poo poo, since we were talking Alcatrazz.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ASenileAnimal posted:

maybe i got lucky with my epiphone but have an thunderbird pro classic that i absolutely love and cant figure out why i should ever bother to spend 1000 bucks more for the gibson version. ive played a few gibsons and theyre nice but not pay crazy gibson bucks nice.

For sure there are some great Epiphones but Squier's leap in quality and diversity in models is really impressive

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

CheesyDog posted:

For sure there are some great Epiphones but Squier's leap in quality and diversity in models is really impressive

very true! ive had my eyes on the bass vi they make after seeing someone play one live.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah I'm wondering too. I don't think I've heard any new NIN on this thing, or at least nothing newer than The Slip which was the newest album a decade ago when this was first teased, but this tracklist is definitely longer than the one he teased a decade ago.

e: Wait, there's a How To Destroy Angels verse/chorus on Still Hurts (featuring Alicia Keys) which came out in 2013, so it's at least new-ish!

It's not "real" it's a mashup record so the idea of it is also 10 years old.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jason Sextro posted:

Ritchie Blackmore firing Graham Bonnet from Rainbow because he didn't match their grubby long-haired aesthetic is definitely stupid music poo poo, since we were talking Alcatrazz.
You wanna read some Ritchie Blackmore-related stupid music poo poo? I have a friend who, for the longest time, had a deep, unhealthy disdain for any guitar other than Les Paul Customs. The more gently caress-up-your-back heavy, the better in his opinion, because any guitar that wasn't heavy was just a "toy". It wasn't until this one weekend we saw Blackmore play one of his olympic white strats that he made a complete 180 on it.

Nowadays, the rear end in a top hat mostly uses Ibanez S and Strats.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Y'all think if I get some of these 3"x 3" panels to treat the bedroom I keep all my guitars in I can get closer to that real upstate NY sound?

https://peaceofwoodstockstage.com/collections/peace-of-woodstock-stage-collectibles/products/the-stage-cube

Article explaining the world's least rock and roll move here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/31/nyregion/woodstock-festival-1969-stage-souvenir.html

And because I feel like it bears repeating: yes, that is $500 for a 3"x 3" piece of plywood. Well I mean with a plexiglass cube and a photo print and a plaque... it adds up.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

You wanna read some Ritchie Blackmore-related stupid music poo poo? I have a friend who, for the longest time, had a deep, unhealthy disdain for any guitar other than Les Paul Customs. The more gently caress-up-your-back heavy, the better in his opinion, because any guitar that wasn't heavy was just a "toy". It wasn't until this one weekend we saw Blackmore play one of his olympic white strats that he made a complete 180 on it.

Nowadays, the rear end in a top hat mostly uses Ibanez S and Strats.

lol i played with someone kinda like this once except he used the heaviest gauge guitar strings he could find and had the action super high cause it was more "tough" therefore better. im sure it was but i couldnt tell with how much he kept loving up when we played.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

ASenileAnimal posted:

lol i played with someone kinda like this once except he used the heaviest gauge guitar strings he could find and had the action super high cause it was more "tough" therefore better. im sure it was but i couldnt tell with how much he kept loving up when we played.

This dude sounds like my polar opposite. I play the lightest strings with the lowest action I can manage. Basically every bluesdad notion of "proper guitar" I try to avoid.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

very true! ive had my eyes on the bass vi they make after seeing someone play one live.

doitdoitdoitdoit

I played a Squier VI live a whole bunch, and not on VI stuff, as a regular bass along with a Mustang PJ, just for different options. They're really nice for the price point, and once you get the bridge figured out or modified to the point it'll intonate, they play surprisingly well. From there, you can decide if you want to switch it to the La Bella 767 strings or stay stock, and figure out whether or not you want to swap the vibrato plate for one with a lock.

Then you can start trying to run calculus on whether or not it's worth the $1300 to pick up a Fender Japan VI reissue or one of the Pawn Shop instruments (hint: It's not, but that didn't stop my dumb rear end from doing it anyway).

CheesyDog posted:

... Squier's diversity in models ...

This has been where Fender's been knocking it out of the park. Ever since the introduction of the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified, and doubly so since the Pawn Shop line was discontinued, this has been where to look for things that are Vaguely Interesting. There was the Squier Duo-Sonic before the offset series came back, the weird Jazzmaster with the dual vol/tone and detented tone pots, the various baritones over the last couple of years, the VI in vintage modified and now classic vibe for some reason, and last year's launch of the contemporary line. Hopefully, Fender keeps up with the Alternate Reality series... Parallel Universe was cool and all, but way expensive for what were effectively 'oops we have too many spare parts and it's inventory tax season' experiments.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Gnumonic posted:

Yeah, Yngwie has been on a steady decline for a while it seems. Some of his early 2000s stuff was great but can't say I enjoy where he's at now. As for blues, he did a pretty decent job on Red House, far cry from what he just released...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4l1Jk3ZCb4

Though if you want the ultimate stuck in the 1980s cheese, look no further than MAB who can always deliver. (Daughter commented, " that old lady can really play fast")

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 1, 2019

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

ASenileAnimal posted:

I just put flatwound .12's on my strat copy to try what the old surf bands used to play. The terrifying part was listening to my guitar creak as I tuned them, having never put anything on that guitar but .10's. They make my forearm throb after a while, but it's really fun playing with strings like bridge cables. I'd recommend trying it if you have a spare guitar with bright pickups into a bright amp.

That guy, though, sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, Yngwie has been on a steady decline for a while it seems. Some of his early 2000s stuff was great but can't say I enjoy where he's at now. As for blues, he did a pretty decent job on Red House, far cry from what he just released...

Though if you want the ultimate stuck in the 1980s cheese, look no further than MAB who can always deliver. (Daughter commented, " that old lady can really play fast")

Michael Angelo will never top the grandeur of the Freight Train video. I invite anyone who hasn't seen it to please do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcBKVKQizg

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

OutOfPrint posted:

I just put flatwound .12's on my strat copy to try what the old surf bands used to play. The terrifying part was listening to my guitar creak as I tuned them, having never put anything on that guitar but .10's. They make my forearm throb after a while, but it's really fun playing with strings like bridge cables. I'd recommend trying it if you have a spare guitar with bright pickups into a bright amp.
They didn't play twelves.

They were somewhere between thirteens and fifteens. :magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7YZ4J--t8

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
That made my fingers hurt just reading your post

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Siivola posted:

that sounds really :frogsiren: and i play bass

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

Christ almighty, where do you even find a set of .15's?

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Use a 7-string set, and throw away the high e?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tzNbe2_7sM

This is amazing :allears:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The best part is where he's very specific about the color of his capos.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

What the gently caress? :stonk:

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

This dude sounds like my polar opposite. I play the lightest strings with the lowest action I can manage. Basically every bluesdad notion of "proper guitar" I try to avoid.

Don't worry, you're doing things right! Hell, even noted bluesdad icon Billy Gibbons uses obscenely light strings (like 007s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like, the only reason I ever use 13's is if I'm doing like C standard on a 25.5 scale or something, but for the last year or so, the main two guitars I've been using have been equipped with 10-58 on a 7 string (Standard B tuning) and 10-74 on the 8-string (standard F# tuning), and it feels right.