Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b1d5f4c50f5413f120b652096db3aaf476f2f11d

The April Fool's jokes begin hence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Also this on Developers' blog:
FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Countblanc posted:

tanks............ thank you.. bless you. you are the only sunshine in this poo poo world...

Excuse me I'm the warrior of darkness now thank you ou

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FortMan posted:

FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.

This owns lol

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
file under april fool jokes everyone wishes were real

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Did Yda and haurchefant have a thing?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
In non april fools news, the third business division which Yoshi-p is the general manager of, is working on a brand new title. It'll be interesting to see if the Yoshi-p touch works on new games, rather than rebuilding failed ones.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

jokes posted:

Did Yda and haurchefant have a thing?

They never met.

But they're totally snogging in my high school fan fiction.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

FortMan posted:

FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.

I'd read it.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
FF XIV-2: Star Driver

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pray for my aunt posted:

FF XIV-2: Star Driver

Now I can't not picture Estinien transforming into Dragoon Mode by shouting "Galactic Pretty Boy" :allears:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

TheHeadSage posted:

In non april fools news, the third business division which Yoshi-p is the general manager of, is working on a brand new title. It'll be interesting to see if the Yoshi-p touch works on new games, rather than rebuilding failed ones.

The current rumor is that he's going to make FF16. Somehow it will be within budget and complete on the first try.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Third division being rebranded (post-consolidation) Five which Yoshi-P was promoted to boss of, and is in the "'we're hiring" state according to reddit. Still a new title down the line.

GuyUpNorth fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 1, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Finally he gets to recruit for his very own hoverboard division.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That's pretty cool! it couldn't have been apparent how taking over FFXIV could have been good for one's career. I thought they were gonna lock him and the FFXIV team in a closet forever to bankroll their other poo poo.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So hyperbole aside, how much attention are Scholars actually paying to the tank during the dungeon, like the trash and similar

To me the whole "let Eos do it" has always smacked of memery and I've always been a touch panicky. But that was a year ago in a non end of cycle context

The first pull, I'm paying a lot of attention. If everything goes fine, then I pay less attention until the first boss, whereupon one of two things happens:

1) they wait for everyone to catch up and I can put an Adlo on prefight
2) they don't

If it's the first, then I generally zone out and let Eos do all the work outside of a preparatory Adlo/Exog because the tank is clearly paying attention and so I can cut things closer.

If it's the second, they're either confident or stupid. If they're confident it's no big deal, but a stupid tank who doesn't wait for everyone to catch up or let me drop a shield on them is one who's going to bite off more than they can chew, not properly use cooldowns, etc. and stupid tanks need paying attention to.

Finally and most importantly, if they Clemency at 60% with Excogiation on, then I passive aggressively put Eos on Sic and start honest healing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GuyUpNorth posted:

Third division being rebranded (post-consolidation) Five which Yoshi-P was promoted to boss of, and is in the "'we're hiring" state according to reddit. Still a new title down the line.

I wonder what sort of game we'll get out of it if Komoto doesn't get himself hired to work on half of the subsystems.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 1, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

FortMan posted:

FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.

This rules. In the relationship charts Teledji's top and bottom halves are separate characters and Tataru is apparently the janitor.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

FortMan posted:

FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.

Gonna need a glamour headpiece for toast in mouth.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kojei posted:

Gonna need a glamour headpiece for toast in mouth.

But bunny girls can't wear it :(

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Thundarr posted:

But bunny girls can't wear it :(

Sounds like a personal problem :smug:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also Krile don't creep on Alph and Yotsuyu x Aymeric is an extremely niche ship.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FortMan posted:

FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.
Captain Gaius, age 17.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
How old even is Krile? Presumably at least Minfilia's age if not a little older? When did the Isle of Val disappear, 30 years ago or so?

I have a hard time placing ages on the vast majority of Lalas (and I even get their sex/gender wrong sometimes - sorry Alka Zolka). They all have childish features, even in ones that are clearly in their advanced years.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FortMan posted:

FFXIV as Shoujo Manga.

I want this to be real.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marathanes posted:

How old even is Krile? Presumably at least Minfilia's age if not a little older? When did the Isle of Val disappear, 30 years ago or so?

I have a hard time placing ages on the vast majority of Lalas (and I even get their sex/gender wrong sometimes - sorry Alka Zolka). They all have childish features, even in ones that are clearly in their advanced years.

Val vanished midway through ARR.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Marathanes posted:

I'm not aware if she's been given a definite age, but she mentored Alphinaud at the Studium (she was a regular student at the time and the twins were "the youngest ever to enter" at age 11, though the normal age of admission isn't given for reference); Alphinaud and Alisaie are 16 and recent graduates at the start of ARR, so if I was ball-parking the figure, Krile's likely somewhere around her early to mid-20s. Y'shtola's 23 and Minfilia's 27, for a comparative range.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yshtola is 23? I thought she was 30s or something, but I guess I forget that in JRPG rules being 23 means she's a world-weary old codger.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mentioned it before but Asashi is older than Zenos

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

jokes posted:

Yshtola is 23? I thought she was 30s or something, but I guess I forget that in JRPG rules being 23 means she's a world-weary old codger.
Well, she claims to be. It means she'd have joined the Circle of Knowing fairly recently in 1.0 (she concluded her apprenticeship with Matoya at 17, and to be 23 in ARR would mean that she was 18 at Dalamud's fall.)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My favorite weird JRPG ages in this game are Urianger being 29 and Cid being 34.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Louisoix was actually only in his late 30s when he became Phoenix

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

drat, I'd have put him at like 40 at least. I guess working with magitek for years and years bleaches out your hair or something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trasson posted:

The first pull, I'm paying a lot of attention. If everything goes fine, then I pay less attention until the first boss, whereupon one of two things happens:

1) they wait for everyone to catch up and I can put an Adlo on prefight
2) they don't

If it's the first, then I generally zone out and let Eos do all the work outside of a preparatory Adlo/Exog because the tank is clearly paying attention and so I can cut things closer.

If it's the second, they're either confident or stupid. If they're confident it's no big deal, but a stupid tank who doesn't wait for everyone to catch up or let me drop a shield on them is one who's going to bite off more than they can chew, not properly use cooldowns, etc. and stupid tanks need paying attention to.

Finally and most importantly, if they Clemency at 60% with Excogiation on, then I passive aggressively put Eos on Sic and start honest healing.

Thanks, I'll keep this all in mind. Trying to set up my Scholar cross hotbars now. There's a lot of buttons and the WXHQB or whatever still isn't terribly intuitive :ohdear:

I tried tanking this morning. I misused the tank LB not once but twice. :saddowns:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Marathanes posted:

drat, I'd have put him at like 40 at least. I guess working with magitek for years and years bleaches out your hair or something.

JRPG characters have a long history of basically looking and behaving 20 years older than they are. Tellah was 60 but behaved and appeared more in line with an 85+ year old with early stages of dementia. Old Man Auron from FFX was 35, Cid Highwind (FF7) is 32, the list goes on.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Marathanes posted:

Yeah, him and Nero are supposed to be the same age. Maybe it's just the beard. Gaius is apparently like 60 though, so I'm pretty sure character ages have very little to do with character design much like all other JRPGs.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
From 1.x

It kind of is the beard.

Edit: VV also that

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 1, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Like half of the main supporting cast was just born with white hair.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hogama posted:

I'm not aware if she's been given a definite age, but she mentored Alphinaud at the Studium (she was a regular student at the time and the twins were "the youngest ever to enter" at age 11, though the normal age of admission isn't given for reference); Alphinaud and Alisaie are 16 and recent graduates at the start of ARR, so if I was ball-parking the figure, Krile's likely somewhere around her early to mid-20s. Y'shtola's 23 and Minfilia's 27, for a comparative range.

yep you're right! encyclopedia eorzea says she's 22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

ImpAtom posted:

I mentioned it before but Asashi is older than Zenos

Wha

Really?