Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t like how Disco inexplicably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I [...] inexplicably [...] like [...] Disco

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
They should just bring in Combs with his natural voice and literally never, ever comment on it (they should just bring in Combs period, although unironically Christopher Shea too, I didn't see his Andorian character in ENT but Keevan was so good)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the show is decent but very flawed and a lot of the scripts need another pass

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the show is decent but very flawed and a lot of the scripts need another pass

- some nerd on usenet circa 1988

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, but the historical context for this fits perfectly with the movies obvious Cold War metaphor. The Soviets criticized the US about our civil rights conflicts all the time, but then massively quashed and imprisoned non-Russian ethnicities in their own borders. This is a thing that actually happened historically.

Yeah, but nobody with a brain bought it as a sincere critique, while in this movie it seems like we're expected to.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

HD DAD posted:

Are you saying season 1 and 2 of TNG weren't flawed and their scripts weren't in need of another pass?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Two and a half pages of makeup critique from 50 years of Star Trek shows.

And its are points are dead on.
:allears:

For such a middling show, ENT had the best alien makeup (aside from T’Pol’s terrible wig in the first two seasons).
The budget was spent to get the Andorrans and Tellarites right. STD’s Andorian is very good but the Tellarite looks like a grungy dwarf.

From TNG onward they gave Romulans frontal ridges to make them differentiated from Vulcans and more aggressive. Its bit much.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

McNally posted:

Are you saying season 1 and 2 of TNG weren't flawed and their scripts weren't in need of another pass?

I’m saying the opposite actually. Both TNG and Disco at this point in their lives were/are very flawed but promising. I’m just more amused how Trek discussions haven’t really changed in 30 years.

Now we just need a modern day Michael Piller to come in and whip the writing room into shape.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

HD DAD posted:

I’m saying the opposite actually. Both TNG and Disco at this point in their lives were/are very flawed but promising. I’m just more amused how Trek discussions haven’t really changed in 30 years.

Now we just need a modern day Michael Piller to come in and whip the writing room into shape.

Yeah but DIS and TNG are fundamentally different beasts, obv. TNG, being episodic, can fix systemic issues early and often. DIS is more serial and if the writing and underlying premise for the season is deeply flawed, then it will take total creative team reboot to get things straightened out, which is what we've seen.

I agree with the basic premise, though... fans gotta fan

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's just that the TV landscape had changed a lot. Nowadays, shows have a bang up 1st and 2nd season while starting to go into a perceived decline starting in the 3rd.

It is exceedingly rare for something as muddled and disjointed as Discovery Season One to survive to a second season in 2019. Better shows with likely larger audiences have been cancelled quicker. The Netflix money changed that equation quite a bit. I just don't know what's going to happen when Netflix decides they value new seasons less.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Automatic Slim posted:

From TNG onward they gave Romulans frontal ridges to make them differentiated from Vulcans and more aggressive. Its bit much.

I never liked that. Didn't seem necessary. Style their eyebrows differently, or give em an angry little v wrinkle between the brows, but the full ridges were overkill.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Yeah, but nobody with a brain bought it as a sincere critique, while in this movie it seems like we're expected to.

There was a whole swath of media trying to meet the Soviet Union half way. In the face of nuclear annihilation, it’s understandable, but when term “evil empire” was uttered, there was a whole tizzy about how that was an hawkish and provocative label.

It’s a very accurate description of the Iron Curtain.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Agnosticnixie posted:

The really dumb thing about TNG's hideous designs is that IV has both Tellarites and Andorians in the council scene and their makeup is genuinely good, it feels more like a deliberate "I hate andorians and I'll deliberately gently caress the design up" thing than a budget or tech limitation, I'm still convinced the freighter captain in one of the early DS9 eps is supposed to be Tellarite though even if it's basically unsaid

Also IV came out mid season 2 of TNG so I'm not sure I'd buy the technical issue with the lovely wig

The one in the Aphasic disease ep? Yeah, he always seemed really, well, Tellarity?, to me.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It's just that the TV landscape had changed a lot. Nowadays, shows have a bang up 1st and 2nd season while starting to go into a perceived decline starting in the 3rd.

It is exceedingly rare for something as muddled and disjointed as Discovery Season One to survive to a second season in 2019. Better shows with likely larger audiences have been cancelled quicker. The Netflix money changed that equation quite a bit. I just don't know what's going to happen when Netflix decides they value new seasons less.

Voyager ran for 7 years and ENT got 4 just because there was next to nothing else on UPN, they'll keep making STD or some other Trek show for as long as they want to keep pushing their streaming service regardless of how many people are actually watching because they know there will always be a core group of nerds out there talking about it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Am I remembering correctly that ENT was pulled because Les Moonves hated it and right after the Viacom split, he wanted it gone? I might have read that somewhere or dreamed it up, idk.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading a rumor back in like 2004 that Moonves hated Star Trek and sci fi in general, I don't know how true that is or if it had any impact on the shows.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Moonves hates sci-fi in general and was a serious proponent of cancelling Enterprise after the third season. Garry Hart going behind his back is the only reason it got a 4th season.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Last night I watched the TNG episode where Geordi is outted as a creepy weirdo for making holodeck fantasies of real women and then passes it off as being a big goof. Picard also becomes a father to a giant space baby, drops it off with its relatives and then leaves before paying first months child support.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Moonves hates sci-fi in general and was a serious proponent of cancelling Enterprise after the third season. Garry Hart going behind his back is the only reason it got a 4th season.

Which is really hilarious, considering Moonves was the one behind CBS All Access and using Star Trek as a lure for it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I said come in! posted:

Last night I watched the TNG episode where Geordi is outted as a creepy weirdo for making holodeck fantasies of real women and then passes it off as being a big goof. Picard also becomes a father to a giant space baby, drops it off with its relatives and then leaves before paying first months child support.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Posting here because while this is not Star Trek music, it's a closer approximation than even the show

https://twitter.com/planetary_union/status/1112780804332179458?s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Posting here because while this is not Star Trek music, it's a closer approximation than even the show

Wow, I love how they are just doing every Trek thing, and it's only been two seasons lmao

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Agnosticnixie posted:

The really dumb thing about TNG's hideous designs is that IV has both Tellarites and Andorians in the council scene and their makeup is genuinely good, it feels more like a deliberate "I hate andorians and I'll deliberately gently caress the design up" thing than a budget or tech limitation, I'm still convinced the freighter captain in one of the early DS9 eps is supposed to be Tellarite though even if it's basically unsaid

Also IV came out mid season 2 of TNG so I'm not sure I'd buy the technical issue with the lovely wig

The Voyage Home came out in 1986, TNG came out in 1987. The Offspring would have been 1989 or maybe even 1990.

That said, yeah, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone on TNG really loathed the idea of bringing Andorians on and deliberately crapped them up. "We don't 'do' antennas here" or something like that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"We don't 'do' antennas here" or something like that.

Only foreheads of any shape a throw blanket can attain

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

I took a sip of water right before I saw this and I about died.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The one in the Aphasic disease ep? Yeah, he always seemed really, well, Tellarity?, to me.

Je generally gets identified as Boslic. Another Boslic shows up in the TNG episode, "Sons of Mogh". Boslics show up in other episodes of DS9, but don't look anything like that, although aliens change appearance in Star Trek all the time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Epicurius posted:

Je generally gets identified as Boslic. Another Boslic shows up in the TNG episode, "Sons of Mogh". Boslics show up in other episodes of DS9, but don't look anything like that, although aliens change appearance in Star Trek all the time.

drat how do you know Boslic pronouns?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

drat how do you know Boslic pronouns?

Boslic pronouns are like human pronouns if they're typed on a phone by somebody with fat fingers who doesn't proofread his work.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Having always been a total film/tv soundtrack whore I would loving love to go to this

*in the back of the auditorium with a lit zippo in one hand held in the air* DO SEAQUEST SEAQUEEESST

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Angry_Ed posted:

This strikes me as a take on the Soviet Union's tactic of Whataboutism

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Joke's on you TUC came out in the 90s and furthermore

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dude my phone is saying thats a 70 mb gif

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tunicate posted:

lol @56k beware in tyool 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tunicate posted:

Fortunately, it's also on YouTube and is probably smaller there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocPQKjuCqM0

Pakled looks for things. Things to make your browser slow.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Automatic Slim posted:

There was a whole swath of media trying to meet the Soviet Union half way. In the face of nuclear annihilation, it’s understandable, but when term “evil empire” was uttered, there was a whole tizzy about how that was an hawkish and provocative label.

It’s a very accurate description of the Iron Curtain.

Media yeah, academia too and some in the political class, but I did specify "with a brain" though so my assertion is safe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I've been reading a bunch of the stuff about how Marc Alaimo saw Dukat and I'm kinda uncomfortable.

I mean in the end I'm pretty sure that it comes from living with the character for seven years and building him for so long but it's kinda... yeeeeeah...

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!
Dear fellow Trek Goons - for those of you with access to BBC America, may I commend to your attention the TrekBack Best of Spock special this coming Friday (5th April)? Hosted from 5pm EST by Rachel Lackey and Chris Lackey of the Rachel Watches Star Trek podcast!

https://twitter.com/mrchrislackey/status/1112730111692992515

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Trevellian posted:

Dear fellow Trek Goons - for those of you with access to BBC America, may I commend to your attention the TrekBack Best of Spock special this coming Friday (5th April)? Hosted from 5pm EST by Rachel Lackey and Chris Lackey of the Rachel Watches Star Trek podcast!

https://twitter.com/mrchrislackey/status/1112730111692992515

Just list the episodes here and I will watch at my leisure